Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Spices don't go bad, any idiot knows this, sever immediately

Depends on the container, if they're in those lovely cheap plastic ones they normally come in or a container that's not very airtight they definitely go bad after a few years. Depends on the spice too though some lose flavor more quickly than others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I figured casually explaining about sell-bys and asking him to write it down was more tactful than saying BAD BOYFRIEND, GARBAGE PRIVILEGES REVOKED. Definitely agree though, kitchen waste makes me bonkers, so Mr. Five Oreganos up there isn't much better :argh:

I don't think "stop throwing my belongings away" is particularly unreasonable.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Speaking of SO's kitchen habits, when my husband wants to make something he'll take his recipe to the store and buy EVERYTHING on the ingredient list including spices without checking what we already have first.

This is why we have like five things of oregano.

I am guilty of this because I get called upon to make the same dish for our family gathering every Thanksgiving, but I never make it any other time during the year. I am also not good at remembering to look in the spice rack and make a list of poo poo. So I wind up at the supermarket thinking "Oh poo poo, I can't remember if we have any paprika. I'm like 75% sure we have paprika. But if I don't get it here and we turn out not to have any, I'll have to go out into this ridiculous holiday crowd again and I really don't want to do that. ...I'll just pick up a small thing. Just incase."

So we have like five things of paprika, which is way more useless than oregano.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
What I really hate is when the recipe calls for 1/4 teaspoon of something, but it only come in gigantic containers.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Women who get really mad and bitchy when I clean up the kitchen cupboards.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Parasol Prophet posted:

I am guilty of this because I get called upon to make the same dish for our family gathering every Thanksgiving, but I never make it any other time during the year. I am also not good at remembering to look in the spice rack and make a list of poo poo. So I wind up at the supermarket thinking "Oh poo poo, I can't remember if we have any paprika. I'm like 75% sure we have paprika. But if I don't get it here and we turn out not to have any, I'll have to go out into this ridiculous holiday crowd again and I really don't want to do that. ...I'll just pick up a small thing. Just incase."

I use a ton of paprika when I'm doing pulled pork, excellent way to use it up.

We have 3 full containers of black peppercorns and I can't think of anything to do with them except use lots for stock or just over pepper everything, we will have peppercorns until we die.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Parasol Prophet posted:

Uh no, paprika should go in, on, by, and around everything. Just remember, we could all stand to be a little more Hungarian.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Parasol Prophet posted:

:yikes:

aDecentCupOfTea
Jan 13, 2013
The phrase "you'll see it on the system!" I work in a call centre for a bank, and I hear this about 30 times a day.
And they are almost always wrong, "I need you to check this payment, you'll see it on the system!"...well no I won't because you've given me no detail, no account number, no name or anything. So what I actually see on "the system" is a box asking me to type in a sort code and account number. Who even are you?

Or people that use the phrase to just outright lie "I'm allowed to increase my overdraft by £1000 with no charges, you'll see it on the system!" Bull loving poo poo.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

aDecentCupOfTea posted:

The phrase "you'll see it on the system!" I work in a call centre for a bank, and I hear this about 30 times a day.
And they are almost always wrong, "I need you to check this payment, you'll see it on the system!"...well no I won't because you've given me no detail, no account number, no name or anything. So what I actually see on "the system" is a box asking me to type in a sort code and account number. Who even are you?

Or people that use the phrase to just outright lie "I'm allowed to increase my overdraft by £1000 with no charges, you'll see it on the system!" Bull loving poo poo.

I suspect there must be some magazine or website or celebrity encouraging people to act like complete shits to customer service people to annoy them into giving in. I blame spineless management.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I suspect there must be some magazine or website or celebrity encouraging people to act like complete shits to customer service people to annoy them into giving in. I blame spineless management.

It's been a staple of stand-up comedy for ages.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Albums and songs that were uploaded to Spotify or Apple Music with obvious typos. This isn't loving Limewire. Who lets this happen?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

walrusman posted:

Paying for something entitles you to it. That is more or less the definition of the word.

Digirat posted:

Sounds like it's the other people that are entitled here considering they're the ones demanding snacks even though they never provide any.

Murphy Brownback posted:

Where did that come from? Coffee/snack freeloaders are the worst. They leave the people who do chip in without getting their fair share. Do you like "that guy" who refuses to chip in for pizza saying he's not hungry, then when the pizza gets there he gets up and grabs a slice or two?

If you want something, pay for it. The stuff didn't get there by magic. It's for the office, sure, but the model doesn't work if there's only a small minority paying for it.

I was just pretending to be the pet peeve. I commonly hear the "why are you being so entitled" as a catch all excuse when something doesn't go their way. I agree with you all in that you pay for something that you want.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Murphy Brownback posted:

I've mentioned it before but it always seems to be with people who think they know more about pets than you because their precious snowflake cat/dog at home is perfectly behaved (around them) and are flabbergasted when they are told other pets might be different. It's like they have an intense need to try and prove you wrong. My mom has a dog that really doesn't like it when you reach over something to pet her. I told my dad and brother who were visiting over christmas to not do that, and the first time I left the room when I came back they were at the baby gate thing trying to pet her. Nothing happened at first so my dad turned around and said "see? she likes it", and went to do it again, only to get snapped on the hand. Instead of saying "oops, you were right" he got mad at the dog. Peeve: people who don't accept responsibility when they provoke someone/something until they react.

I get irritated by the opposite. The people that think all animals will kill them. Be it fish, cat, dog, hamster, etc. My recently deceased dog was barky but friendly and never even snapped at a soul. Yet almost every repairman would prefer to listen to a dog bark for 2 hours locked up rather than let him say hello. I've never been bitten by a dog so maybe it's just a hangup that I don't have.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

mostlygray posted:

I get irritated by the opposite. The people that think all animals will kill them. Be it fish, cat, dog, hamster, etc. My recently deceased dog was barky but friendly and never even snapped at a soul. Yet almost every repairman would prefer to listen to a dog bark for 2 hours locked up rather than let him say hello. I've never been bitten by a dog so maybe it's just a hangup that I don't have.

I don't get that either. But some people have had p bad experiences as children and that's the kind of thing that sticks. My Nanny is scared of dogs because her mum was terrified of them and used her as a literal human shield between herself and any dog they saw. (My great granny was a monster.) Most people will just have parents who tell them not to go near dogs or they'll get bitten or on the other hand who don't tell them not to go near the obviously scared/uncomfortable dog and then they do get bitten. Gotta teach kids animal body language then they'll be safer and happier.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

mostlygray posted:

The repairmen probably don't want a dog getting underfoot while they are working or running out the door when they go to get tools from the truck rather than being afraid of your dog.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
loving catcallers. I recently moved downtown from the suburbs, and there are a lot more pedestrians around. In the 'burbs, it was mostly just assholes yelling from their cars, but downtown, you're a captive audience at a stoplight with a 30-second walk signal on the cross street, so you get to stand there like an idiot trying not to encourage (but not piss off) some guy you don't know who's trying to pick you up. This happens literally every time I run. Sometimes it's harmless, "you're so dedicated to run in this rain!" or a high-five. But last night in the span of five miles, three guys tried to pick me up. The last one circled me on his bike a few times while I was standing at a stoplight, saying, "drat, I wanna lick the sweat off your rear end when you're done!" It was genuinely scary, and I'm pretty sure I'm just going to start jaywalking.

gently caress you, catcallers. We're people too, and we're not here for your entertainment. I'm just trying to get my run on without being murdered by a driver or picked up by a pedestrian.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

You Are A Elf posted:

Price matchers at the supermarket. I could understand if it was one or two things they were price matching, I'm cool with that, but I'm talking about the people who have a Tolstoy-esque 3 inch heavy binder of ads from others stores, and a handwritten list of more store prices. "Let's hold up the line of people before me because I want to save three cents on a gallon of milk and two cents on a head of lettuce and one cent on a dozen eggs and four cents on this and two cents on this and...." gently caress these people.

I just want to pay and get out :shepspends:

I ran into one of these people at the Target near my house a couple months back. Lady with a literal full 3 ring binder of coupons, ads, you name it. I stood behind her about 5 minutes before going to the line next to her, behind 2 other people - lady with the binder was still digging through it by the time all 3 of us finished. Then again, these are probably the same idiots that drive around the parking lot for 10 minutes looking for a close spot, then bitch that they "didn't have time to shop" or whatever afterward.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Maggie Fletcher posted:

loving catcallers. I recently moved downtown from the suburbs, and there are a lot more pedestrians around. In the 'burbs, it was mostly just assholes yelling from their cars, but downtown, you're a captive audience at a stoplight with a 30-second walk signal on the cross street, so you get to stand there like an idiot trying not to encourage (but not piss off) some guy you don't know who's trying to pick you up. This happens literally every time I run. Sometimes it's harmless, "you're so dedicated to run in this rain!" or a high-five. But last night in the span of five miles, three guys tried to pick me up. The last one circled me on his bike a few times while I was standing at a stoplight, saying, "drat, I wanna lick the sweat off your rear end when you're done!" It was genuinely scary, and I'm pretty sure I'm just going to start jaywalking.

gently caress you, catcallers. We're people too, and we're not here for your entertainment. I'm just trying to get my run on without being murdered by a driver or picked up by a pedestrian.

There are two reasons I haven't complained about catcallers in this thread:

1) They are so loving BEYOND a nuisance that I don't consider them "pet peeves" in that sense. It would be like posting about internal decapitation in a thread about minor injuries or something.

2) I don't want to alert the "what, so I can't talk to/look at a woman ever again? :mad: " brigade.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

YeahTubaMike posted:

2) I don't want to alert the "what, so I can't talk to/look at a woman ever again? :mad: " brigade.

Pet peeve spotted

That's a particularly gross one Maggie :( The one I remember best was "hey love, how's your arse for love bites?" which was so weird it was almost funny

teenytinymouse has a new favorite as of 20:25 on Jan 21, 2016

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

teenytinymouse posted:

Pet peeve spotted

I wish it were legal to kill catcallers and catcaller sympathizers.

quote:

That's a particularly gross one Maggie :( The one I remember best was "hey love, how's your arse for love bites?" which was so weird it was almost funny

I walked past this guy who was on the phone, and he literally stopped talking to his friend to yell "drat, rear end!" at me. F for effort.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Honestly, guys who think and act like that probably shouldn't be talking to women.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Honestly, guys who think and act like that probably shouldn't be talking to women.

To be completely honest? The first guy who talked to me was nice and respectful (though he did throw in a "dammn, you're fit!" and a big cheesy grin), and he was cute. In another world, I might have found him cute and gone out with him, but I don't want to go out with a guy who thinks it's acceptable to harass women on the street who are just trying to get a workout in.

My office is in the suburbs, so I may just run there after work. The rear end-licker guy was so creepy (and only 5 blocks from my house) that I actually felt unsafe. You're right, TubaMike. It goes beyond peeve at this point.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Honestly, guys who think and act like that probably should be brutally murdered in the street.

Fixed. :colbert:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Geeze, you girls and your constant complaining. You'd look much prettier if you lost the scowl and smiled. :treemike:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I got told to smile at the store the other day and since my default reaction to somebody speaking to me is to glance over and flash a smile I immediately did so and I think he was as surprised as I was.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I got told to smile at the store the other day and since my default reaction to somebody speaking to me is to glance over and flash a smile I immediately did so and I think he was as surprised as I was.

My first reaction is to flip them off, but this is not always the right thing to do (for example, if it's a harmless old lady or something), so I just stare blankly until they go away, ignore them entirely, or simply say "no" and continue about my day.

I have pretty severe Resting Bitch Face though, so your mileage may vary.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Same, retail reflexes.

What tubamike said

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Honestly, guys who think and act like that probably should be brutally murdered in the street.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

teenytinymouse posted:

Same, retail reflexes.
:hfive:

YeahTubaMike posted:

I simply say "no" and continue about my day.

This mental image is pretty funny to me, thank you

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

This mental image is pretty funny to me, thank you

It REALLY throws men for a loop, and then I have to suppress the urge to smile at their reactions.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

http://i.imgur.com/WadTzgO.gif

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Maggie Fletcher posted:

In another world, I might have found him cute and gone out with him, but I don't want to go out with a guy who thinks it's acceptable to harass women on the street who are just trying to get a workout in.

And there it is. How does anyone on this planet honestly think yelling "HEY BABE NICE WORKOUT I WANNA LICK YOUR rear end" to a stranger is going to get them anything other than ignored at best, or maced and kicked in the junk at worst? Has anyone ever heard that and thought "YES, FINALLY, A KEEPER!" (other than a serial killer hunting for trophies)?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

And there it is. How does anyone on this planet honestly think yelling "HEY BABE NICE WORKOUT I WANNA LICK YOUR rear end" to a stranger is going to get them anything other than ignored at best, or maced and kicked in the junk at worst? Has anyone ever heard that and thought "YES, FINALLY, A KEEPER!" (other than a serial killer hunting for trophies)?

It's the verbal version of dick pics :shrug:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

gung-ho garbageman

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

It's the verbal version of dick pics :shrug:

It's really not. The verbal dick pic is just talking about your dick. Telling a woman you want to lick her rear end or asking her to suck your dick in the street is harassment and it's a lot worse than receiving a dick pic you didn't ask for.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

mostlygray posted:

I don't know if all businesses do this but I am a field technician for an alarm company and have been for another alarm company and a cable company and all 3 have it as a rule that dogs have to be put up while you're there. Honestly I don't follow the rule often but if I ever got caught with a dog not put up or get bitten I would be disciplined and possibly fired.

RenegadeStyle1 has a new favorite as of 21:58 on Jan 21, 2016

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

teenytinymouse posted:

It's really not. The verbal dick pic is just talking about your dick.

This dude wandered up to me while I was walking for the train, half-whispered "I've got nine inches," and wandered off. It was one of the more surreal experiences I've had.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

YeahTubaMike posted:

This dude wandered up to me while I was walking for the train, half-whispered "I've got nine inches," and wandered off. It was one of the more surreal experiences I've had.

:catstare:

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
People who post recipes "for one" and they turn out to be some loving obese mother fucker who has no idea what portion control is.

I'm sitting here with like half a loaf of bread turned into shrimp toast. I can't eat all of this in one sitting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Oh god pets.

An old ex broke up with me because my animals "didn't like her." As in the antisocial ancient cat wouldn't run to her, as in the flighty rabbit wouldn't jump on her lap. As in bitch, you came back to visit me and see about restarting this and you've been here a loving DAY. My animals were right, you're loving crazy.

My nephew was attacked by a dog some years ago. His parents decided the best course of action is to just keep him away from all dogs. So he panics if he sees one, he freaks out if one comes near. The kid's 8 now, he was attacked when he was 4, and every day he and his sister get more and more nervous around any and all animals. Any time they come to my house they both demand the dogs be locked up, and are pretty worried about the cats.

Peeve: when someone comes home or comes in to work always, always in a bad mood. I mean throwing stuff, screaming how they hate their job, how they hate their spouse, mood. It's like, gently caress, dude, can you try to NOT be a horrible clod every goddamn time I see you? FAKE IT. No one really likes their job and people dislike their spouses from time to time! Grow up or at least come in with loving donuts so we can eat while you rant about your poo poo life.

Along that line, when people get so loving worked up they start screaming and throwing things, and any time you try to rationally talk to them they turn into loving hellbeasts. When I was a kid, my dad was always the one who would dole out the spankings, but my mom's hair trigger temper and great aim for throwing breakable poo poo meant she was the one we were really afraid of. These days that sliver of fear is there, but at least I can walk away now and let her vent that the TV and/or DVR is a piece of poo poo.