Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Gentlegoons now poo poo gets real.

See you all on the otherside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Got my bike back from the shop earlier than expected so I will be able to keep up my streak of biking while watching each ep :cheerdoge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUamHEvVQy0

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

But how will you post? :ohdear:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Very carefully

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Srice posted:

Got my bike back from the shop earlier than expected so I will be able to keep up my streak of biking while watching each ep :cheerdoge:

Personally, I dress up as a drag-queen bunnygirl while watching each episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9dju37q61I

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
The Third Impact could have been prevented if they'd just allowed smoking...

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I'm not sure i ever watched the DC of this episode. Interesting to hear a bunch of technobabble that shows up again in EoE

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
So did Gendou take on Yui's name then? Or were they married while Yui was in her doctoral program?

(Or is she hoping to find a decent human being to hang out with on the side?)

EDIT: Oh there's that question answered. He took on her name.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lets hang out posted:

I'm not sure i ever watched the DC of this episode. Interesting to hear a bunch of technobabble that shows up again in EoE

Oh yeah, I remember I was going to mention that I'd completely that stuff like Gaff's Room gets mentioned before EoE in the DC. The other obvious change is Lillith reforming after the Lance is pulled out, which didn't happen in the original version and was one of the major changes of the Death movie before the DC's were released.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
My favorite Gendou line so far:
"Why not transfer to the Department of Economics?"

EDIT: I always knew there was a good reason I hate playing the Handel every year.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 21, 2016

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Oh god, this scene.

E: I always assumed it was that lady with the dog that killed Kaji, and it never made any sense to me that Misato did it.

Anyway, just to restate, that scene!

Command Ant fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 21, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

christ that next episode preview is grim

appropriately

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 21, 2016

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

This episode is brutal

It really makes you go back and reevaluate pretty much every time Asuka interacted with another person throughout the course of the show.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
This was my first time seeing the director's cuts of these episodes. Episode 22 was already an incredibly brutal episode to experience without the extra material, but god drat! It really does put all of Asuka's bravado and abrasiveness into a deeply sympathetic and tragic light.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Srice posted:

This episode is brutal

It really makes you go back and reevaluate pretty much every time Asuka interacted with another person throughout the course of the show.

yeah

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Command Ant posted:

This was my first time seeing the director's cuts of these episodes. Episode 22 was already an incredibly brutal episode to experience without the extra material, but god drat! It really does put all of Asuka's bravado and abrasiveness into a deeply sympathetic and tragic light.

Because you spurred my curiosity: http://wiki.evageeks.org/Guides:Episode_22_OA_vs._DC

Really interesting to see where they decided to add detail or redraw things for the director's cut in a direct comparison.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Kytrarewn posted:

Because you spurred my curiosity: http://wiki.evageeks.org/Guides:Episode_22_OA_vs._DC

Really interesting to see where they decided to add detail or redraw things for the director's cut in a direct comparison.

I like this

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Same.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Haha, jesus. Episode 21DC is tripping me out because I know all this stuff, which means i must have seen it, but i have no memory of actually seeing any of this.

Like...at all. Up til now i would have almost sworn they never actually showed Yui except briefly or only in a picture or something.

Most or all of this was in Death right? The dvd is sitting like 2 feet from me. I know it's been awhile, but surely i must have watched it? right? :psyduck:

Memory is weird.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

the eva prototype graveyard imagery is some of my favorite in the series

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

21 down. I kinda don't want to go on.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

oh asuka

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

I know... :smith::hf::smith:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Man, everyone in this show is so incredibly hosed up.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Do the DCs substantially change what happens, or just how it's presented? I'm wondering if things are presented more clearly in these, or if I just zoned out for the parts that weren't about giant robots or conspiracy when I first watched, or if I was just that clueless. I want to post more, but I feel like my mind is fully occupied with wrapping itself around what's going on, what these hosed up people are going through, and everything else.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Man this show is like as close as it gets to having a commercial for therapy.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Do the DCs substantially change what happens, or just how it's presented? I'm wondering if things are presented more clearly in these, or if I just zoned out for the parts that weren't about giant robots or conspiracy when I first watched, or if I was just that clueless. I want to post more, but I feel like my mind is fully occupied with wrapping itself around what's going on, what these hosed up people are going through, and everything else.

They make it a lot more clear, and as i found out, the new scenes and various changes work better integrated into the episodes than in the stand alone format in Death.

Look through these if you haven't:
http://wiki.evageeks.org/Guides:Episode_21_OA_vs._DC
http://wiki.evageeks.org/Guides:Episode_22_OA_vs._DC

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

a kitten posted:

They make it a lot more clear, and as i found out, the new scenes and various changes work better integrated into the episodes than in the stand alone format in Death.

Cool, thanks, I will.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

hi liter posted:

Man this show is like as close as it gets to having a commercial for therapy.

Not even therapy so much as simple human compassion. All the adults have their eyes on some mission or purpose and the kids end up abandoned as a result. (I lump Misato in with the kids here.)

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

a kitten posted:

quote:

All the panels containing the word "sex" were censored in the OA and then included uncut in the DC.

But what's interesting is that they were censored again in Renewal for both OA and DC! The "sex" panels only appear in the original non-remastered DC, they're nowhere to be found on Renewal or Platinum.

That's really weird since it was in the preview at the end of 21.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Was there ever any explanation on how the directors cut versions came to be? Japanese animation production tends to be a very lean process and for them to animate scenes that didn't actually get used in the final version is very rare. The only other instance I can think of was the first episode of Escaflowne.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 21, 2016

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I assume they just took advantage of making All Of The Money after the release of the series to touch up the episodes that were made when they had None Of The Money, since they were already making the recap movies.

Is ep 21 the first time they mply that rei is a clone?, or was there a more subtle reference to it I just forgot about?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's a very obvious visual reference to it in episode 14 but you probably wouldn't realise unless you already knew.
Also Shinji's vision of her just before the third Angel attack hints that she's not entirely human

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Agronox posted:

Not even therapy so much as simple human compassion. All the adults have their eyes on some mission or purpose and the kids end up abandoned as a result. (I lump Misato in with the kids here.)

Yeah, its been apparent throughout the show but the last few episodes really hammer it home.

Nearly there lads, its worth it.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Agronox posted:

Episode 22 is, I believe, the only time Gendo has ever acknowledged Asuka's existence, and it was to say that he didn't care about her.

darealkooky posted:

Is ep 21 the first time they mply that rei is a clone?, or was there a more subtle reference to it I just forgot about?

She mentions in an earlier episode that she can be replaced, which was a pretty strong hint, too.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Unless you know what to look for that could just as easily be taken literally IE replaced by another pilot, she says that when she nukes herself right? That's after toji and the idea of more pilots is introduced, episode 21 doesn't have an easy answer like that

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Hmm, so a bunch of minor tweaks and several added scenes that seem pretty important. It seems like Fuyutsuki would barely be a character without this stuff.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Clearer, more expressive body language for Asuka seems to be the biggest difference. Overall, the changes aren't as essential as 21's, I think, but welcome nonetheless. For this episode, I firmly put the blame on my past self for not really getting what's going on, because the original version seems pretty clear.

Thanks!

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

The elevator scene is probably my favourite scene in any show, ever. Imagine owning the original cel from that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

The elevator scene is probably my favourite scene in any show, ever. Imagine owning the original cel from that...

It rules and it's a shame that it gets pointed to as an example of Gainax running out of money. Might have been true but that doesn't make it any less effective!

Looking forward to the other well known still shot.

• Locked thread