Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Why is Mr. Garcia always making that face?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rotten Cookies posted:

http://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-91-92/

A very cool update. Lucifer gettin' REAL

Also, that little "nose" of lucifer is actually his mouth? And that "tongue" is a tail feather. I don't know if I'm dumb or deceived. Or both. Probably the first, though.

Yeah, Lucifer's design of "bird that looks like weird wizard" is great (note that his head is in a birdcage, though it's also shaped like a lightbulb), though even though I noticed the bird thing back when he was new seeing the beak actually open looks odd after it always being closed so much.

Also wow, Lucifer is pissed. Justifiably so, but still, wow. I still don't think this outburst is going to go in a good way for either of them, though. Lucifer doesn't seem to realize how to actually deal with any of the problems he's listing here and is just lashing out in frustration (which, to be fair, being trapped inside someone's head and watching them gently caress up all day is probably immensely frustrating, even if it seems to be willing-ish on Lucifer's part) and Spenders emotions are, as Lucifer is talking about on this very page, going to take him "anywhere but forward" in response to this.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Cool update, I really like the layout. So if the first chapter of this arc is anything I'm assuming this is where the Hijack hunt begins.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 19, 2016

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Renaissance Robot posted:

If you mean the thing lurking by the door on the right hand side, that's a trash can.

That isn't Vice Principal?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Fecha posted:

Why is Mr. Garcia always making that face?

That zombie-like face that expresses a mix of anger and boredom? That's because he's a teacher.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

What's goin' on in that kitchen

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I wonder if the nurse's office skeleton is more than a skeleton.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Aren't we all just more than a skeleton?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

13 years ago, huh? How does that fit with what else we know about Spender? Was that about when he fought the Storm God?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
That architecture is... ghastly

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Rotten Cookies posted:

Also, that little "nose" of lucifer is actually his mouth? And that "tongue" is a tail feather. I don't know if I'm dumb or deceived. Or both. Probably the first, though.

A beak is both a nose and a mouth.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

PleasingFungus posted:

A beak is both a nose and a mouth.

Okay, what seemed to me a human-like nose was actually a mouth.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I didn't see anything but the bird up until he started waving his arms around a few panels ago :ohdear:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Since when do schools have a receptionist at the entrance?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

Since when do schools have a receptionist at the entrance?

Both the schools I went to as a child did? But then that's in the UK, maybe things are different.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Yea, all schools I've been to have a reception: their might be more than one entrance, but the main entrance has a reception for vistors signing in/out.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Rotten Cookies posted:

Okay, what seemed to me a human-like nose was actually a mouth.

But he also has a skullmouth underneath that, where his claws become teeth and his tail a tongue.

I don't think spirits really need to be physically consistent.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Schools don't have receptionists as much as they have secretaries and assistants that also let visitors in and stuff

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Well it appears someone went to a poo poo school.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I feel like that's a thing for Elementary schools and not so much for Middle and High Schools. Or that might just be me having gone to four different Elementary schools and then only having to stick to one for the latter two that makes me think that. :v

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Cat Mattress posted:

That zombie-like face that expresses a mix of anger and boredom? That's because he's a teacher.

Every time I see Mr. Garcia's face I think of this.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Conjecture: the incident 13 years ago is the same event or sequence of events as Spender's defeat of "the most dangerous spirit"- something the ninja bunnies regarded very seriously and passed to Forge, but Spender believed to be secret.

Lucifer is in the sunglasses and is what allows Spender to control light, and Spender is also the medium for the extremely dangerous tentacle thing which allows him to control shadows. Lucifer is the only thing that allows him to keep it in check. So I'd further venture Spender's secret victory thirteen years ago is a secret because it ended with him getting Naruto'd with the shadow thing, which is dangerous information to have out.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Cubone posted:

Conjecture: the incident 13 years ago is the same event or sequence of events as Spender's defeat of "the most dangerous spirit"- something the ninja bunnies regarded very seriously and passed to Forge, but Spender believed to be secret.

Lucifer is in the sunglasses and is what allows Spender to control light, and Spender is also the medium for the extremely dangerous tentacle thing which allows him to control shadows. Lucifer is the only thing that allows him to keep it in check. So I'd further venture Spender's secret victory thirteen years ago is a secret because it ended with him getting Naruto'd with the shadow thing, which is dangerous information to have out.

I think the best part of this idea is that it means Spender has been wearing the same pair of sunglasses non-stop for the past thirteen years.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Lucifer looks so sad in that last panel. He really wants to help Spender help himself. :smith:

That said, I love that Coach Oop's keyboard is still on the floor. But where's the other twin??!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

What is going on in the boys change room.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
What's going on with that lunchlady?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Have we seen Spender without glasses? Maybe he's blind and that's why he tries so hard to be cool.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
spender is only metaphorically blind

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

He wears his corrective glasses under them.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Assuming those shades aren't hiding Thematically Significant Eyes, he doesn't actually have to wear them to tap Lucifer's power. He could have them in a shirt pocket and that'd be just as good, I think. Although supposedly mediums can take on some characteristics based on their spirit, so maybe he does have a bad case of Shadow Eye he's covering up.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

RandallODim posted:

I think the best part of this idea is that it means Spender has been wearing the same pair of sunglasses non-stop for the past thirteen years.

Dolash posted:

Assuming those shades aren't hiding Thematically Significant Eyes, he doesn't actually have to wear them to tap Lucifer's power. He could have them in a shirt pocket and that'd be just as good, I think. Although supposedly mediums can take on some characteristics based on their spirit, so maybe he does have a bad case of Shadow Eye he's covering up.

Actually come to think of it, mediums who hold onto a spirit for a long time look really monstrous, like Man-lizard. If Spender has been possessed for thirteen years, why is he still human looking?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

VibrantPareidolia posted:

Actually come to think of it, mediums who hold onto a spirit for a long time look really monstrous, like Man-lizard. If Spender has been possessed for thirteen years, why is he still human looking?

Maybe it's like Isaac, where just one feature changes. For man-lizard, maybe it was just his skin. For Isaac, it's just his hair. For Spender, maybe just his eyes.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Or it's the result of Lucifer keeping the other guy locked down all the time.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I thought that Spender was a medium for Lucifer, and the sunglasses had the dangerous spirit. All the other tools correspond to their color in one way or another.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's the colour of light, duh.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Lizard man also became more lizard like because it could feed its spirit. The more your spirit feeds, the more you look like it.

Spender has yellow energy.

Tentancle seems to have black energy.

Ergo, tentacle has to escape spender and enter max to feed.

Edit: and then whatever is possessing him that talked to doorman eats tentacles in a few seconds, to establish how much more threatening it is.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 21, 2016

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

SlothfulCobra posted:

I thought that Spender was a medium for Lucifer, and the sunglasses had the dangerous spirit. All the other tools correspond to their color in one way or another.

Re-reading the fight with Forge, generally his light-based attacks (distinct from his yellow spectral-based attacks) come from manipulating his glasses: Exhibit A and exhibit B. I know there was also a page where he generated throwing stars by "shwinging" the glare off them too, but I'm not sure where. It's a good gag.

e; Oh, here it is. Great gag where he grabs the anime.

His shadow powers generally just seem to be a thing he does by physically manipulating them. A and B. Compare that to Isaac generating a storm cloud and lightning bolt.

Also, when the shadow spirit almost gets out, it does so through a big hole in Spender's chest. Oh yeah, and his spirit fusion with Lucifer alters how the glasses look.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 21, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

VibrantPareidolia posted:

Spender used to be a black man

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

KittyEmpress posted:

Edit: and then whatever is possessing him that talked to doorman eats tentacles in a few seconds, to establish how much more threatening it is.
Or whatever possessing Max goes "O ya, that's mine," and the broken shadow god retrieves a great big piece of itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Man I hope something goes right for Spender soon. It gets depressing after a while seeing him get continuously emotionally poo poo on.

He's not at all up to handling whatever bullshit Mayview is laden with but he's trying :smith: