Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Vodos posted:

I'm trying to log in once per week to vote, but I've missed it a few times, has anyone besides the food guy ever won a council election?

Food security is a serious issue and we need to take it more seriously :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

quote:

When selecting a factory or public building, all buildings of the same type are also highlighted.

This is the first step to getting the building we had in 2070 where we could click on a building name and go straight to it. I hope they bring that building back (it was a Statistics building if I remember correctly).

They took away features so the game got neutral/bad reviews so what did they expect? I bet less than 5% of the players of the previous games played MP, but the reviewers decided that was a BIG THING and dinged them for it. MP didn't add much to the game because it's really a city builder with some janky combat tacked on. And while there's no random maps this time, the maps were all the same in the other games, they just were placed in different places. The change is not substantive.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

How do you even play Multiplayer in a city building/logistics sim anyway?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ooooh, very nice. The global market shows the production costs alongside what you can buy or sell something for now. So you know what you can make a profit from and what you can't.

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?

Efexeye posted:

I like playing cooperatively with another person and controlling the same 'town.' I tried playing competitively 1404 once and that wasn't great but I like coop more than pvp in anything except chess.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

New World Market

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Efexeye posted:

You friendly compete for reaching population milestones and monuments and so on. And of course to gang up on the AI and burn their islands to the ground through sabotage until you can afford to buy them out.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
How do I cheese my way to win using the market again? Wasn't there some ridiculous way to fulfill needs using money rather than making the production lines?

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008

Hezzy posted:

How do I cheese my way to win using the market again? Wasn't there some ridiculous way to fulfill needs using money rather than making the production lines?

Buy it off the market instead of using the production chains. I dont remember anything fancier than that.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Asciana posted:

Buy it off the market instead of using the production chains. I dont remember anything fancier than that.

You'll need to pay attention because the pricing is more obvious than it was before.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Yeah ever since market prices started actually fluctuating it hasn't been fully reliable. I've had a corp sign in 20k in the black and then, 20 minutes later when I re-upped our luxury food contract without looking at the price, start making GBS threads cash to the tune of like 70k. There followed much grumbling and building of cattle pastures.

Basically everything is pretty cool except for some reason my inventory UI is showing me positive or negative numbers instead of numbers and a color-coded arrow. It's less intuitive, at least for me, to read at a glance now. I'll also say that the new sector is like 50% a giant swathe of ocean, and there aren't any bridges or anything on it which I felt was kind of an oversight.

On the other hand, bridge sites eat Construct-O-Bots as well as Superalloys, and cost 100-200 Iridium (depending on the site) to construct once their project is complete. Failing to carry numbers correctly did leave me stuck partway through whatever the map with the ornamental challenge is called, so keep an eye out for that. I will say that, with three well-populated Temperate sectors and a fourth that I've purchased but never loaded into, I feel like I'm just loving swimming in space. Coastal sites were starting to get constrained, but I managed to pull together enough Magnetite to put seven reactors on the moon and upgrade everyone's spaceport, so it was just a matter of making sure I wasn't capping out my Graphene when I took all of they tidal plants down.

With the extra sector (and particularly given how absolutely loving massive it is), it becomes pretty apparent how much space Arctic production chains take up. I think my Quantum Compute industry, when I quit out a few minutes ago had taken up about a third of buildable area on the climate stabilizer project map, between the production chain and the tents interspersed with them. Not sure if I'll be able to max out four sectors with only a single-sector source of Quantum Computers.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Doctor Schnabel posted:

yeah i think everything is currently on fire down at ubisoft because the game's not selling

This makes me very sad because IMO the game is way better than the last one.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Early mid-game, I needed something from the market and immediately went to -$60K with only $50K in the bank, so that had to stop. I started over with a new corp, so hopefully the market becomes usable at some point.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Mandalay posted:

Don't take away features when you make a new game then. Seriously, I don't care if the "random maps" in the old game were pieces of territory plugged in randomly. I liked them, and I'm not buying the game without them. It was silly to remove that.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mandalay posted:

1404 wasn't a hidden object game so its probably the best of the three

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Normal Adult Human posted:

If you're referring to the quests where you hunt for a tiny glowing object to click, 1404 definitely did have those....

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Normal Adult Human posted:

1404's "find the spy" missions were awful. Beautiful graphics and theme for sure though.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Everything seems way more expensive, and I'm playing on Casual. I have to sit while my credits build back up, I don't recall doing that before. The good news is that it seems more profitable to sell stuff to the market, unlike before. I started a new game for the patch and no way can I afford the new sector.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SlyFrog posted:

Don't take away features when you make a new game then. Seriously, I don't care if the "random maps" in the old game were pieces of territory plugged in randomly. I liked them, and I'm not buying the game without them. It was silly to remove that.
There's absolutely no way they could make random maps work with the new economic model, and while I miss the plethora of missions and challenges from 2070/1404, the interdependent territories and sense of permanence are much more compelling than if they had simply gone with another 1404->2070 update.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Wow they've finally fixed buying all your expensive stuff from the world market.

Old routes:

New routes:

I can't afford to renew luxury meals (+300k), intelliwear(+400k) and quantum computers (+400k).

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
Yikes. Im terrified to fire up my city now.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I knew this'd happen :D

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
Thankfully, I was not relying on the market, so my city is not dead.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx
So it's on sale right now from Steam - is it worth it? Or should I wait to see what shows up for the season pass? I liked 2170 except for the combat, which I thought was just tedious.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
I like how the Season Pass is 40% off before a single piece of content from it has been released. If you bought it you literally wasted :10bux:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Francis posted:

I like how the Season Pass is 40% off before a single piece of content from it has been released. If you bought it you literally wasted :10bux:

Don't judge me

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Eschers Basement posted:

So it's on sale right now from Steam - is it worth it? Or should I wait to see what shows up for the season pass? I liked 2170 except for the combat, which I thought was just tedious.

I'd have snapped it up if the starting price wasn't sixty freaking euros. Even with the discount it's still 36 euros. It just hasn't felt like it has enough meat in it for an Anno game to justify that price tag, when I can just wait for a deeper discount for the whole package later, and I'm actually a big fan of the series!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I finally picked up the base game since it's on sale, and I'm enjoying myself so far. I have a feeling my city would drive any optimization-minded players nuts, but it's been great at making me go "WHAT time is it now?!" I've only just unlocked the arctic, but I think I'm going to stay in Cape Ambar for a bit longer and colonize one of the other islands.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Francis posted:

I really regret spending money on a Ubisoft product.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Demiurge4 posted:

I really regret spending money on a Ubisoft product.
Words of wisdom.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Very enjoyable game so far for my first crack at it, it's been wonderful at eating hour after hour as I add or fix just one little thing after another, now mainly in pursuit of maintaining a +50k income rate to finish the Walbruk Basin project. It's a constant work in progress adding houses, adding the necessary industries to support more promotions (VITAMIN DRIIIIIIINKS! :argh:), and upgrading. Slowly inching my income upward.

I also want to personally strangle every single executive in the Basin. Building space is at a premium on these islands, and the mass transit centers these chucklefucks demand are incredibly awkward to fit in. Nor does the game say which island in the sector needs the drat things.

I haven't even started importing cybernetics to fulfill their last need yet. Holy poo poo the moon is expensive. Built a rare earth elements mine, upgraded its output, and built a cybernetics plant with its extensions. Then noticed I was suddenly 5k in the red.

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Very enjoyable game so far for my first crack at it, it's been wonderful at eating hour after hour as I add or fix just one little thing after another, now mainly in pursuit of maintaining a +50k income rate to finish the Walbruk Basin project. It's a constant work in progress adding houses, adding the necessary industries to support more promotions (VITAMIN DRIIIIIIINKS! :argh:), and upgrading. Slowly inching my income upward.

I also want to personally strangle every single executive in the Basin. Building space is at a premium on these islands, and the mass transit centers these chucklefucks demand are incredibly awkward to fit in. Nor does the game say which island in the sector needs the drat things.

I haven't even started importing cybernetics to fulfill their last need yet. Holy poo poo the moon is expensive. Built a rare earth elements mine, upgraded its output, and built a cybernetics plant with its extensions. Then noticed I was suddenly 5k in the red.

Dont bother with the moon for ages. Establish a massive surplus the best you can with the arctic and temperate zones first. Get another temperate island as soon as you can afford it and move your basic and mid range production buildings to it. The fancy meals stuff ends up taking up a hideous amount of space when you need a load of them

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Asciana posted:

Dont bother with the moon for ages. Establish a massive surplus the best you can with the arctic and temperate zones first. Get another temperate island as soon as you can afford it and move your basic and mid range production buildings to it. The fancy meals stuff ends up taking up a hideous amount of space when you need a load of them

You mean get another temperate sector? I only have Walbruk Basin at the moment and have colonized the southwest and central islands, just now building a bridge across the third dam site so I can get more coastal sites for water and electric power.

Trying to make sure I understand what you mean: I should buy Cape Ambar and dedicate it purely to production and the bare minimum workforce to ship rejuvenators and vitamin drinks and luxury meals and whatnot to Walbruk?

Also, what's the best way to deal with the arctic? I went for the glacier with the oil rigs and have barely touched it beyond supplying enough neural implants and super-alloys for my temperate population. I have scientists, but I still need diamonds to make quantum computers. Or should I ignore the scientists as long as I've got enough implants?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cythereal posted:

Clicking the notification will zoom you to the relevant island, and also clicking the mass transits already in place will tell you what their supply level for that island is.

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.

Eschers Basement posted:

combat is worse and less optional now

edit: It's instanced, with a sizable load time, the same ships on the same maps every time, and you need to do it for the resources that let you build modules.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ghostlight posted:

Clicking the notification will zoom you to the relevant island, and also clicking the mass transits already in place will tell you what their supply level for that island is.

Ah, thank you.

Also, thank you for the advice about offshoring my early production to another zone. It's amazing how much more space I have to work with when Cape Ambar is covered in desalinization plants, rice farms, fruit orchards, and vitamin condensers.

Particularly helpful for freeing up coast slots for hydroelectric power.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I finished the campaign and built my corporate headquarters. Pretty enjoyable game, my first time delving into the Anno series, and wonderful/terrible at turning "I'll just knock out a quick half hour, take care of a few things" into "Holy poo poo how many hours has it been?" Completed the campaign and the sector projects in all four sectors that I own: Walburk, Ambar, Ikkuma, and Novikov.

General thoughts:

* Holy poo poo I love the abilities to move buildings for free and see at a glance what my production rate of every good is. So incredibly useful and user-friendly.

* I really wish service provider type deals (infodromes, mass transit, etc) worked for an entire zone rather than per specific island. 90% of my frustration with executives and investors (and, hell, 85% of my frustration with the game in general) has come from shuffling entire swathes of my cities around to fit in mass transit centers and stadiums and keep just enough tier 3 and 4 houses on each island that they all stay satisfied. Infodromes and security stations and the like at least are small enough that they're not hard to squeeze in.

* Some sector projects are much more valuable than others. I started in Walbruk Basin and the dams were a godsend throughout the game. Meanwhile, I never touched any of the oil platforms in Ikkuma Glacier because I was getting shitloads of petrochemicals from combat missions and quests. The refugee camps in Novikov Crater were convenient but not a game-changer.

* Nic Papadakis is creepy as gently caress and I long for the ability to have my Titan sitting there fire away with its missile batteries.

* Combat missions were surprisingly fun. Not very deep, but I love naval combat in games and this is one of three I've seen that does it well (the others being Supreme Commander and Act of War: High Treason). They were a nice break to let project timers count down and coffers refill, and also were incredibly lucrative for rare materials.

* The general pace of the campaign is, to a newbie, very good. The game does a pretty good job of introducing things to you step by step, and it was only when I was colonizing the moon that I realized how many moving parts were involved in my cities across the various sectors. Again, thank you so much developers for the window to see goods production at a glance.

* The arctic is gorgeous and I wish there was more to do there. The temperate zone is pretty, but it's by far the most boring to look at. I'd rather focus on building in exotic environments, but it doesn't seem profitable on the whole to focus on the arctic or moon versus the temperate zone.

* Still, gorgeous game in general. I started keeping Earth permanently at night just to make it prettier.

On the whole, I enjoyed the game a lot but I'm leery about trying other, less user-friendly, games in the series.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Cythereal posted:

On the whole, I enjoyed the game a lot but I'm leery about trying other, less user-friendly, games in the series.

I'm not sure if I could go back to the version of the goods supply system where one had to have a spreadsheet in order to determine the number of farms and factories required to supply their population. That was probably my #1 problem with the Anno series; games about supply chain management ought to have just a little bit more information about my supply chains available to me.

Which is not to say that I didn't spend 1,380 hours playing Anno 2070, and love the gently caress out of it! Just that I can't imagine wanting to back to operating in the dark like that. The static maps are a little bit of a bummer, but I understand why they wound up going with that approach, all of the maps are gorgeous as gently caress, the bridges are even more so, I am an incredible fan of the multiple biomes and also of gradually covering the entirety of the available world space with a grid hell of skyscrapers surrounded by continental-scale manufacturing wastelands. How can an adult human being possibly experience this much enthusiasm about an activity which essentially amounts to building pretend cities out of blocks?!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LonsomeSon posted:

How can an adult human being possibly experience this much enthusiasm about an activity which essentially amounts to building pretend cities out of blocks?!

It's a surprising amount of fun, and there's a real sense of satisfaction to seeing a thriving city humming along.

I think my wish list for an expansion or sequel is pretty straightforward:

1. Give the drat execs and investors yachts or subsea tunnels so they can share mass transit and entertainment across different islands in a sector.

2. More exotic environments. I definitely want an undersea region.

3. Make the exotic environments profitable. The temperate zone is where you do most of the work because it's the most profitable, but it's incredibly boring to look at and play in. Pretty sure, but uninteresting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
At the risk of being pointed and laughed at, any word on the dlc? It was supposed to come out in February wasn't it? I can't find any news earlier than December last year. :confused:

• Locked thread