Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Sad I didn't make the list. Been working hard to chase out reasonable goons and turn this thread into a star citizen hate echo chamber. Still get no recognition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

T.G. Xarbala posted:

The irony of a redditor complaining about another forum being an echo chamber may eventually stop being funny, at which point it just becomes kind of sad, but not today.

Speaking of non-majority opinions, I wonder how Loiosh is doing.

Seemed he had more fun talking about what he hoped SC would be than actually playing it. And his IRL friend absolutely hated having to play SC with him.

Loiosh is one of the more tragic Fart Shitizen stories. He was giving them a chance but it seemed like his patience with CIG was wearing thin. Then just as his deadline for sorting out AC2.0 passed they started denying refunds. :rip:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Like I was there when the gryphon thing went down and I refused to acknowledge or use his real name. He is and will forever be gryphon to me. I tried to welcome him to the forums long, long before he went nuts and started stalking people and I still regret that he never stuck around and mellowed out. In fact, out of respect for gryphon I still won't use his real name, unlike Citizen_idgafaboutthosenumbersinwhatsprobablyathrowawayredditaccount. People only dug up his name because he was stalking Beer4theBeerGod and even then I wasn't comfortable with digging up info, even on an internet stalker, especially since it seemed like he was in a bad place. If he wants to take the position that what happened to gryphon0468 was wrong, I'll agree with him. I don't approve of either gryphon's actions re: stalking nor of the vigilante internet justice doled out against him. But if he wants to take that hill to die on as some sort of SC redditor moral high ground against the people who post here rather than there, well, I won't necessarily say it's funny per se but I'll point out that it's an odd place to make a last stand.

But finding out the real name of an internet stalker is not exactly on the same level as trying to incite people to harass the family of someone who criticizes a developer of a game they like. And that guy with the personal vendetta against dsmart had a long loving history of pulling this kind of thing. He actually doxxed Bootcha and stalked him in multiple places, only stopping when his harassment drove fuzzknot to the point of threatening him with physical harm should he try escalate his crusade against Bootcha in person. And by all rights it looked like matilda2013 was willing to go that far up until she put her foot down.

If that citizen guy insists on tarring everybody posting on SomethingAwful with the same brush then, buddy, he really does not want to be associated with some of his fellow star citizens. Not just because they're racists like Rajafa or jester86. Or Nazi sympathizers like Kurt_M/Kurt Maverick. Or habitual online sexual harassers like Wulf Knight/Accelerwraith. No, because there are some really stupid people out there. Like ilovecreamsoda, who wrote a legally actionable threat assessment on Derek Smart while misrepresenting his qualifications for doing so, as though roleplaying a space captain in a videogame somehow makes it okay to roleplay a psychiatric professional in real life. Or Dolvak, who will not confirm or deny that he was the one who wrote the report bot that attacked SomethingAwful's SC thread and who miraculously had a replacement for imgur waiting the instant people in-thread realized we could use their bot against them by linking images from their subreddit's Top Pages in this very thread. And who also will not confirm or deny the assertions he made regarding his claims as to the authenticity of the emails Beer4theBeerGod received from CIG, because that requires having journalistic standards and it's easier to roleplay a space journalist than be one in real life.

And that's not counting all the imbeciles who can't tell pgabz from beer on youtube. Or the people who don't realize that, maybe, making the joke that everybody criticizing SC is a Derek Smart alt isn't as sick a burn as they think it is when outside observers think they might actually be stupid enough to believe it literally.

Notice that all the people I listed are either deplorable or just plain dumb. Meanwhile, Citizen__[Ed note: COPYPASTESTRINGOFNUMBERSHERE] gave his own list of who he views to be the SC thread's rogue's gallery.

Such as pgabz, whose claim to infamy is making a bunch of videos poking fun at SC and its community while also showcasing in-character piracy gameplay and sharp musical taste. Or melkor who... makes fun of people? Eonwe, who makes fun of the game and pesters Beer about Kimsemus as sort of his running thing, as well as playing lovely MMOs so he knows a lovely game when he sees it. There's also A Neurotic Jew, who makes shitposts. Or Beer4theBeerGod who honestly doesn't post much anymore because SC's toxic community has long taken its toll on him so now he's gone back to doing that most horrible of anti-star citizen behaviors: writing CYOAs for the SA forums and also giving fantasy football advice to those who ask. Or the unnamed but forever shamed mysterious screencapper, who saves pics for posterity and laughs.

What a horrible lot these people must be, that they might be willing to poke fun at Star Citizen.

Put in OP please. A good roundup of how the SC community behaves.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

gently caress you, i wanna be SpaceDoobie!

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

I actually did my recording last weekend but didn't like it.

My wife hated it.

My daughter kept laughing hysterically and I couldn't make her stop.

I deleted it.

I told Bootcha I would redo it. And I will this weekend.
:argh: SMAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRT! :argh:

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

El Grillo posted:

:argh: SMAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRT! :argh:

2 weeks

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
' .....LET HIM loving FINISH!'

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

How will boarding be possible?

The speculation and I heard X, someone else heard Y but Z said A is so great :allears:

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

The best drat space sim ever! EVER, you loving turdnuggets!

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Yolomon Wayne posted:

You can't have fries... piled high in zero G.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Daztek posted:

How will boarding be possible?

The speculation and I heard X, someone else heard Y but Z said A is so great :allears:

But we've already determined boarding works by being near the cockpit on the outside and pressing the use key.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

What you don't know, Citizen, is that it's really been Eonwe in charge the entire time. His completely off-topic quadposts about anime are really all a cover.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

What you don't know, Citizen, is that it's really been Eonwe in charge the entire time. His completely off-topic quadposts about anime are really all a cover.

probably a highlight of the thread

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Honestly I'm not posting as much because there isn't much to post about. Historically CIG takes about a month or two to really get back on track.

Hopper posted:

Link please?
I don't know much about and never played Warhammer but Beer's lore explanations showed he can clearly pull of storytelling in a compelling way

Rogue Trader: Empathy is for the Poor

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Tokamak posted:

You can't have fries... piled high in zero G.

But a dog so big you can only eat it in zero-G.
The Les-Dog.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I don't get reddit. The website is loving poorly laid out and unnecessarily difficult to maneuver.

Completely separate from that the userbase in many of the subreddits seems to be really, really... dumb? I mean, the level to which they cannot understand that they are being baited or that people can think that others being "serious business" about SC is funny is just... sad. I don't want to do what they are doing and paint all people there with the same brush, because clearly there are probably good and/or useful communities on that website but geez they make it hard to find or access.

Also how does reddit karma work because my account has like -400 or something after making about 10 posts or so ever.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
We must have some more respect for the art of pubes defoliation.

quote:

My night began as any other normal weeknight. Come home, fix dinner, and play with the kids. I then had the thought that would ring painfully in my mind for the next few hours: ‘Maybe I should pull the waxing kit out of the medicine cabinet.’ So I headed to the site of my demise: the bathroom. It was one of those ‘cold wax’ kits. No melting a clump of hot wax, you just rub the strips together in your hand, they get warm and you peel them apart and press them to your leg (or wherever else) and you pull the hair right off. No mess, no fuss. How hard can it be? I mean, I’m not a genius, but I am mechanically inclined enough to figure this out. (YA THINK!?!) So I pull one of the thin strips out. Its two strips facing each other stuck together. Instead of rubbing them together, my genius kicks in so I get out the hair dryer and heat it to 1000 degrees. (‘Cold wax,’ yeah…right!) I lay the strip across my thigh. Hold the skin around it tight and pull. It works! OK, so it wasn’t the best feeling, but it wasn’t too bad. I can do this! Hair removal no longer eludes me! I am She-rah, fighter of all wayward body hair and maker of smooth skin extraordinaire. With my next wax strip I move north after checking on the kids, I sneak back into the bathroom, for the ultimate hair fighting championship. I drop my panties and place one foot on the toilet. Using the same procedure, I apply the wax strip across the right side of my bikini line, covering the right half of my hoo-ha and stretching down to the inside of my butt cheek (it was a long strip) .. I inhale deeply and brace myself…RRRRIIIPPP!!!! I’m blind!!! Blinded from pain!!!!….OH MY GAWD!!!!!!!!! Vision returning, I notice that I’ve only managed to pull off half the strip. CRAP! Another deep breath and RIPP! Everything is spinning and spotted. I think I may pass out…must stay conscious…must stay conscious. Do I hear crashing drums??? Breathe, breathe…OK, back to normal. I want to see my trophy – a wax covered strip, the one that has caused me so much pain, with my hairy pelt sticking to it. I want to revel in the glory that is my triumph over body hair. I hold up the strip! There’s no hair on it. Where is the hair??? WHERE IS THE WAX??? Slowly I ease my head down, foot still perched on the toilet. I see the hair. The hair that should be on the strip…it’s not! I touch. .. I am touching wax!! I run my fingers over the most sensitive part of my body, which is now covered in cold wax and matted hair. Then I make the next BIG mistake…remember my foot is still propped upon the toilet? I know I need to do something. So I put my foot down. Sealed shut! My butt is sealed shut. Sealed shut! I penguin walk around the bathroom trying to figure out what to do and think to myself ‘Please don’t let me get the urge to poop. My head may pop off!’ What can I do to melt the wax? Hot water!! Hot water melts wax!! I’ll run the hottest water I can stand into the bathtub, get in, immerse the wax-covered bits and the wax should melt and I can gently wipe it off, right??? *WRONG!!!!!!!* I get in the tub – the water is slightly hotter than that used to torture prisoners of war or sterilize surgical equipment – I sit. Now, the only thing worse than having your nether regions glued together, is having them glued together and then glued to the bottom of the tub…in scalding hot water. Which, by the way, doesn’t melt cold wax. So, now I’m stuck to the bottom of the tub as though I had cemented myself to the porcelain!! God bless the man who had convinced me a few months ago to have a phone put in the bathroom!!!!! I call my friend, thinking surely she has waxed before and has some secret of how to get me undone. It’s a very good conversation starter ‘So, my butt and hoo-ha are glued together to the bottom of the tub!’ There is a slight pause. She doesn’t know any secret tricks for removal but she does try to hide her laughter from me. She wants to know exactly where the wax is located, ‘Are we talking cheeks or hole or hoo-ha?’ She’s laughing out loud by now…I can hear her. I give her the rundown and she suggests I call the number on the side of the box. YEAH!!!!! Right!! I should be the joke of someone else’s night. While we go through various solutions, I resort to trying to scrape the wax off with a razor. Nothing feels better than to have your girlie goodies covered in hot wax, glued shut, stuck to the tub in super hot water and then dry-shaving the sticky wax off!! By now the brain is not working, dignity has taken a major hike and I’m pretty sure I’m going to need Post-Traumatic Stress counseling for this event. My friend is still talking with me when I finally see my saving grace….the lotion they give you to remove the excess wax. What do I really have to lose at this point? I rub some on and … OH MY GAWD!!!!!!! The scream probably woke the kids and scared the dickens out of my friend. Its sooo painful, but I really don’t care. ‘IT WORKS!! It works!!’ I get a hearty congratulation from my friend and she hangs up. I successfully remove the remainder of the wax and then notice to my grief and despair…? THE HAIR IS STILL HERE…….ALL OF IT! So I recklessly shave it off. Heck, I’m numb by now. Nothing hurts. I could have amputated my own leg at this point. Next week I’m going to try hair color……

http://imgur.com/gallery/C4W8M

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Don't worry there are still some good citizens who'll hold CIG to their promises

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I was going to post about how impressed I am about the glory of Star Citizen, about how CIG have consequently managed to underpromise and overdeliver and how proud I am to be part of the absolutely astoundingly awesome Citizen Community where I am finally recognized as a human being

But I know this loving echo chamber would just shout me down and I'd be ridiculed and forced off the thread by the horrible toxic goons so I'm not going to

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Goons: :hurr: loll you guys are stoopid with your jpegs and game can never be cuz derek don't make it

Citizen: I would argue you're wrong, seeing as how the development has proceeded steadily and a dedicated team of professionals are hard at work, trying to accomplish what is, granted, a monumental task

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Goons: :hurr: loll you guys are stoopid with your jpegs and game can never be cuz derek don't make it

Citizen: I would argue you're wrong, seeing as how the development has proceeded steadily and a dedicated team of professionals are hard at work, trying to accomplish what is, granted, a monumental task

Pgabz banhammer incoming.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Goons: looke at this spacepleb bying ships in binary lol hes not poor like us

Citizen: Actually, my contribution is but a fraction of the amount you have spent on camboys and brown liquor, furthermore my dispensable income is indeed such as to warrant the occasional extravagance, carefully budgeted for by my personal accountant

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Fargin Icehole posted:

We out Pedophiles, but not people who like SC.

Not our fault if there's crossover between these groups.

Iglocska posted:

He basically doesn't like the look of the ships and he wrote that ages ago. Seriously, the look of the ships is like the biggest thing going for the game...

Most of the ships look like crap. I mean Elite gets slagged for its ship designs (wahh they're all triangles) but I'll take their utilitarian style and consistent design over whatever CIG shits out any day.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Goons: i wantd to spamm :goatsecx: all ovr reddit and gently caress they banned me i''ts v unfair and butthurt in my snowflaek also no cuntabilietie and moast censourshipp ever!!!

Citizen: If the Star Citizen community chooses to excise a small minority of the most offending examples of outright toxicity, it actually speaks to the benefit of our community and to the detriment of yours. Furthermore; Lowtax has not agreed to a single "Ten for the Chairman" episode whereas the custodian of our hopes and dreams makes regular appearances in response to the tough but fair criticism exercised by our most dedicated and knowledgeable members.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

alphabettitouretti posted:

Most of the ships look like crap. I mean Elite gets slagged for its ship designs (wahh they're all triangles) but I'll take their utilitarian style and consistent design over whatever CIG shits out any day.

Elite could use a bit more design variety, but I generally agree with the idea of a consistent design, so I can't fault their conservative attitude in that department. The ships in Star Citizen all look like they were designed by different people working in different companies on totally different kinds of games, then all thrown together in the same space.

Even franchises that offered many different kinds of ships (Babylon 5, Star Trek, Star Wars) still had an overall feeling of those ships being from the same universe. SC suffers very badly from that inconsistency, and it's everywhere you look, right down to the soda machines which are perfectly logical in a place where you can't take off your helmet. Even the space station itself is a mess of contrived ideas pasted together into a non-cohesive whole.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

Elite could use a bit more design variety, but I generally agree with the idea of a consistent design. The ships in Star Citizen all look like they were designed by different people working in different companies on totally different kinds of games, then all thrown together in the same space.

I actually dig that and prefer it to Elite's simplistic approach - but I personally don't care about realism as long as it looks cool. I found Elite's designs boring as hell (besides a few exceptions like the Imperial Clipper).

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

IrvingWashington posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KKbdErJki

Rich Homie Karl
That's right, ho

[Bridge]
Chris Roberts been hustlin' trying to make him something
Ain't no telling what he'll do for the paper
Sockpuppet, I mad, my wife, my dad
All me, I'm a Kraut auditor

[Hook]
(I drop the top of my whip baby!)
That Porsche he driving still ain't got no type of game
That custom engine still ain't got no type of game
This Smart subreddit still ain't got no type of game
I got a couple jpeg ships but still no type of game
No type of game, still ain't got no type of game
She hate my pubes, I'm smooth but still ain't got no type of game
Mr. CEO for you I'm super gay
Me and my homies out of cash, still got no type of game

[Verse 1]
Okay, now let's be real I spent all of the cash I made
I get to posting only take 5 minutes what I say
But that's for each of my accounts; gonna take me all day
No naps no long sleep; replacing masturbate
I can tell if he Derek, right away
Go through hell just to spell, what else did Lesnick say
I got accounts like dollars Chris and Sandi make
I got a SA account, and I post there sometimes, to give my mind a break
I find a way, to still get busted, my twitter linked as Raess
And I got dick pics out my rear end, from Accelerwraith

[Bridge]

[Hook]

[Verse 2]
She got a marketing plan only a marine biologist could make
No rookie, girl a genius take my cash away
I probably spent, more money in six months
Than what's in my papa's safe
Feel like I owe ten banks
I'm bad at faking relations, cause I'm living single
No time for caution, I gonna scream when they threaten a subpoena
I heard that Ortwin the lawyer, I'll offer his help today
You hosed up now deleted, let's go after his wife today
Don't know how to say, emailing his kids ain't stalking?
No attention we pay, cognitive dissonance lurking
No man perfect, but Chris
The point, I miss
Rich, homie, Karl

Another RHQ fan!

Type of way is one of the best hip hop songs to come out in a long time.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Iglocska posted:

I actually dig that and prefer it to Elite's simplistic approach - but I personally don't care about realism as long as it looks cool. I found Elite's designs boring as hell (besides a few exceptions like the Imperial Clipper).

I almost mentioned the clipper specifically - I'm working towards that now specifically because I liked the design. Hopefully more things along those lines come out over the years.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
caughtupwiththethread.gif

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Star Citizen: see I knew it was bad but I didn't think THIS BAD

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

this abortions patch notes posted:

We are temporarily changing the Vanguard to use one shield at 6x current strength, to closer mimic its final function. This is temporary as the tech for the six-shield set up the Vanguard will have in its final iteration is not yet implemented in 2.1.

I cant believe it. This is another thing I didn't even know the game was doing so far. Multiple shields! What actual benefit is there to this other than taking on even more engineering debt? I went through a list of older models and I dont see ships with multiple shields, its just some of the more recent ones. Someone came out of a loving monitization meeting and said "More shields!" as a selling point for ships and the engineers sighed and cursed their lot in life.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I cant believe it. This is another thing I didn't even know the game was doing so far. Multiple shields! What actual benefit is there to this other than taking on even more engineering debt? I went through a list of older models and I dont see ships with multiple shields, its just some of the more recent ones. Someone came out of a loving monitization meeting and said "More shields!" as a selling point for ships and the engineers sighed and cursed their lot in life.

Do they mean literally 6 shields, in concentric formation around the ship? Or do they mean 6 directions? (left, right, forward, back, top, bottom)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Scruffpuff posted:

Do they mean literally 6 shields, in concentric formation around the ship? Or do they mean 6 directions? (left, right, forward, back, top, bottom)

I dont know! Like just about every other ship is only using one shield but some of the newer ones use like 2 or 3. It makes no sense!

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

posting is magic

you don't need "realism" in a space sim, having one shield for the whole ship is exactly as plausible as having six

this is dumb even by the standards

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

So do you just target one shield generator subsystem or do you have to hit 6?

It might be easier to just EVA and hijack the ship since I'm assuming they haven't engineered shields to detect player characters yet.

Edit: Actually if they did and it launched you I would probably buy the game in 3 years after Gearbox comes in to rush it out the door.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Apparently its a very large and heavy ship that somehow uses 6 very light shields. What real benefit this has over a large single shield I dont think anyone knows.

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm trying to think of how 1 shield at 6x power would be, from a gameplay perspective, different than 6 shields at 1x power.

I'm sure the engineers are thinking the same thing which is why they did this quick fix and wished they could leave it like that instead of having the perpetual fear of roberts nixing them because they didnt code the 6 different shields in the ship doing group work or whatever.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jan 21, 2016

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I dont know! Like just about every other ship is only using one shield but some of the newer ones use like 2 or 3. It makes no sense!

I'm trying to think of how 1 shield at 6x power would be, from a gameplay perspective, different than 6 shields at 1x power.

Harking back to a fun space combat game that existed and was real, X-Wing, I remember managing shields actually being a core, fun part of gameplay (this is something I have to knock against Elite, where shield management is a bit more dull). You had layers of directional shielding, and not only could you dynamically allocate power to different subsystems (engines, shields, weapons), you could shunt capacitor power directly between systems. (Although it wasn't balanced properly to be honest - it was always faster to bring up your shields by putting full power to weapons and shunting that power over to shields, than it was to put full power to shields directly - a minor quibble.)

The cool part was you could also manage what direction you concentrated that shield power. If you were getting hammered from behind (a feeling Citizens should know pretty well by this point) you could just move all available shield power to the rear deflectors, and get extra layers there at the expense of other parts of the ship. Shield management in that game was just so on point - and this was in 1993! If Star Citizen had a system with at least that much depth, then I could theoretically see players in a multicrew ship doing nothing but shield management as a minigame.

That said, most of us managed that in 1993 while also flying the ship and engaging in combat at the same time, so not sure how engaging it would be in the long term.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

So do you just target one shield generator subsystem or do you have to hit 6?

It might be easier to just EVA and hijack the ship since I'm assuming they haven't engineered shields to detect player characters yet.

Edit: Actually if they did and it launched you I would probably buy the game in 3 years after Gearbox comes in to rush it out the door.

"Ehhehheheh, yeaaaah just try shooting through these six bad boys, I paid $1200 for these shields, shitlord!"

*eva's in straight through the shields and hijacks ship*

"You loving dickhead what the fuuck WHAT THE FUUCK?"! *disconnects*

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Is there a space ship that looks like a giant penis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I'm just saying, if shields deflected players and you could knock people off landing pads like ping pong paddles or wait for them to eject and then ram them and send them flying it would be a core gameplay mechanic that could sustain me for weeks.

• Locked thread