Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I know Teenage Engineering is teasing something new (I mean I know they're not a big player, but still.. they make really fun stuff).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Akai will bless us with a new and improved Dan.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

A friend who is fairly tapped into the industry said he's heard murmurings that Dave Smith is actually going to announce something at that price range. My friend suspects it's either a desktop version of an existing synth or possibly another Eurorack module. That said, he's been wrong before.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
I just want Soundcraft to actually ship the 22 MTK they announced last year, that would be a big enough shocker for me.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

stillvisions posted:

Maybe Akai will finally wow us with the Timbre Wolf 2.

If they updated the Ion I'd grab one.

pnau
Aug 20, 2006
Im waiting to see if there are any new grooveboxs coming out because im keen on picking up the new electribe.

Ive had a volca beats/sample for a while now but I feel ive kinda outgrown them so they are up for sale.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

A lot of the people that are crapping on the e2/s on the tribe forums are liking the Novation circuit. These are people who are unhappy with the 4 bar limit, lack of a song mode, and the <100ms gap in audio when you change patterns. The Circuit has it's limitations, too, only 2 6 voice synths and 4 drums. Either the circuit or the e2/e2s are good deals for the money, I just think the e2, despite being more capable, has more rough edges.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

AxeBreaker posted:

lack of a song mode, and the <100ms gap in audio when you change patterns

Those two together are pretty bad, tbh.

Reminds me of the worst part of the Yamaha QY700: in song mode, there's a slight delay when looping, which kills looping in that mode for live performance.

pnau
Aug 20, 2006

AxeBreaker posted:

A lot of the people that are crapping on the e2/s on the tribe forums are liking the Novation circuit. These are people who are unhappy with the 4 bar limit, lack of a song mode, and the <100ms gap in audio when you change patterns. The Circuit has it's limitations, too, only 2 6 voice synths and 4 drums. Either the circuit or the e2/e2s are good deals for the money, I just think the e2, despite being more capable, has more rough edges.

The circuit looks like great fun, but I think over time id get bored with it. The issues everyone is complaining about on the e2 aren't a huge deal for me.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Startyde posted:

If they updated the Ion I'd grab one.

Word.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

snorch posted:

does anyone have a link to that goon made timbre wolf video/compilation

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

A MIRACLE posted:

I couldn't find that yet, but this came out 2 days ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO8X9sIJIIE

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

A MIRACLE posted:

I had it bookmarked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dvnz2N9-U0

EDIT: Also, some rad Waldorf announcements. (But the mellotron synth is not among them- DOH!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5GlZuqZ5Xc

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 19, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I'm glad people are still enjoying my dumb video :allears:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Radiapathy posted:

EDIT: Also, some rad Waldorf announcements. (But the mellotron synth is not among them- DOH!)
Neither is the Blofeld 2 that was at one time implied in the vaguest way in the Blofeld Facebook group.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Radiapathy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5GlZuqZ5Xc

Had an extremely Waldorf experience the other day, I bought the NW1 last year and it's been pretty much useless as it could not be calibrated (it would randomly play the same pitch like a quarter note off), crashing, sound would completely dissappear etc. They put the 1.03 firmware up and a new editor, cool. Expect the loving editor would now crash everytime, the module got stuck in bootloader mode etc. Finally managed to upload the firmware before the editor crashed, managed to calibrate it after that and the controls seem now to be working as intended vs having a extremely small usable area. Yay!

Had horrible flasbacks of buying Blofeld at launch.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

snorch posted:

I was joking about Akai, but they put out this video a week ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNbHtKGdIGk

I guess they're still running with those synths after all. I would totally buy a Timbre Wolf if it was half the price just to have one.

Edit:

W424 posted:

Had an extremely Waldorf experience the other day, I bought the NW1 last year and it's been pretty much useless as it could not be calibrated (it would randomly play the same pitch like a quarter note off), crashing, sound would completely dissappear etc. They put the 1.03 firmware up and a new editor, cool. Expect the loving editor would now crash everytime, the module got stuck in bootloader mode etc. Finally managed to upload the firmware before the editor crashed, managed to calibrate it after that and the controls seem now to be working as intended vs having a extremely small usable area. Yay!

Hm, good to know... I was looking at one of those recently, maybe I'll hold off for now.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
I'm expecting a Volca Beats in the mail over the next few days and would like to connect it to my MicroBrute. The cable that connects the two devices to sync them using control voltage, is there anything special about it, or is it just a standard 3.5mm male/male cable? If not what type of cable am I looking for exactly?

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Sexy Randal posted:

I'm expecting a Volca Beats in the mail over the next few days and would like to connect it to my MicroBrute. The cable that connects the two devices to sync them using control voltage, is there anything special about it, or is it just a standard 3.5mm male/male cable? If not what type of cable am I looking for exactly?

Standard 3.5mm, I sync my Beats with my eurorack with one without issue.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

W424 posted:

The Blofeld facebook group is usually full of people complaining about mysteriously broken Blofelds. I figure most of them are working just fine, and the owners aren't discussing them much. That said when I bought one for 300$ from Guitar center I did not know what I was getting in to. I had to buy a universal A/C adapter for it, then when I got it hooked up it played almost no sound. I upgraded the firmware, and it was still low. Then I replaced all the patches and it worked. Came with license SL, too. Now it sounds really good, but I see why it was sold, at least with the old firmware.

This sort of thing is why I'm waiting for the rush to pass on the Korg Minilouge. Especially after the wait for the second e2 patch, now it's usable but for a while it was pretty poo poo.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Blofeld chat: does this sound like a software issue? I figured it was something I had to get repaired but maybe not...

The left one of the main encoders (the 2 under the screen, not the matrix) is TERRIBLE at picking up motion on short range lists like arpeggiator modes/directions, etc. It can do 0-127 just fine and some shorter ones, but no matter what I do I can't figure out how to get it to change. I've had it suddenly go once or twice, but I've also pawed at it for a while with nothing.

Haven't done a single update on it, haven't felt like I needed to (though if it helps the output that might be worth it as well). HMMMMM....

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

stillvisions posted:

I was joking about Akai, but they put out this video a week ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNbHtKGdIGk

I guess they're still running with those synths after all. I would totally buy a Timbre Wolf if it was half the price just to have one.

The Tom Cat is actually pretty good for the money and I liked it better than the Volca Beats. I thought about picking one up but between my apps, VST's and sample I'm actually pretty good on drum sounds.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

JamesKPolk posted:

Blofeld chat: does this sound like a software issue? I figured it was something I had to get repaired but maybe not...

The left one of the main encoders (the 2 under the screen, not the matrix) is TERRIBLE at picking up motion on short range lists like arpeggiator modes/directions, etc. It can do 0-127 just fine and some shorter ones, but no matter what I do I can't figure out how to get it to change. I've had it suddenly go once or twice, but I've also pawed at it for a while with nothing.

Haven't done a single update on it, haven't felt like I needed to (though if it helps the output that might be worth it as well). HMMMMM....
Try the firmware update first, encoder behavior was addressed in 1.22. Really nothing lost by trying that.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Waldorf Waldorf Waldorf :sbahj:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Doepfer thru-zero VCO and inverting mixer showed up today.

Synthrotek stereo output mixer and 2x DS-M drum module kits en route.

EURORACK
IS
A
loving
DISEASE
:suicide:

breaks
May 12, 2001

Don't worry man, pretty sure it's easily curable if you buy a couple more modules.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

breaks posted:

Don't worry man, pretty sure it's easily curable if you buy a couple more modules.

good to know man because I have a Z3000 mkII and a Braids in my analogueheaven cart :cheerdoge:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Speaking of Eurorack disease, my Maths arrives tomorrow. The description says channels 2 and 3 can actually amplify signals on top of attenuversion but I can't find specifics. How much is the boost? Looking to bring my Freqbox's oscillator to acceptable levels.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Startyde posted:

Waldorf Waldorf Waldorf :sbahj:

loving beautiful

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Would be funny if the use of male pronouns throughout that release were a comment on the sausage fest that's electronic music production, but it's probably just a case of "written by Germans"

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
!!!

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
So I'm running my Volca Beats into my MicroBrute and I have two big problems I can't figure out.

The first is that whenever I set the sequencer to Play it automatically starts playing before I hit a key, I can't seem to stop it. What I'd like (and what happens when not connected to the Volca) is to not have a sequence play until I hit a key. That seems like it should work?

The other problem is setting the time signature. Right now I'm getting 8 synth hits for an entire drum loop (I'm sorry I suck at time signatures, not sure how to better describe that). I'd like to change that, which *seems* possible based on the Step setting in the configuration software, but that isn't having any effect from what I can tell.

Any advice would be appreciated!

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

Try the firmware update first, encoder behavior was addressed in 1.22. Really nothing lost by trying that.

It worked! HY (and ty)

The Yellow King
Jul 18, 2001

The poster formerly unknown as Mr. Gybe

???

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Hey, have any of you had a chance to play around with the Roli Seaboard RISE thingies? Kinda thinking about getting one.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

JamesKPolk posted:

It worked! HY (and ty)
I didn't even expect that, but I'm really glad, because the next step would either have involved googling a badly documented blofeld encoder fix or ordering a new set of encoders from Waldorf support, both of which would have required you to solder.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I think I've figured out what gives the bass from Thompson Twins' Hold Me Now its character: a 12dB/oct filter. When I first demoed the Odyssey, I recreated that bass for the first time. When I told the salesdude this, he asked me to try to do the same on a Moog Phatty of some variety, and I couldn't. I didn't notice that I was using filter 1 on the KARP, so I didn't clue in.

Then I read that the bass in the original was done on "an Oberheim" and it clicked. I was able to reproduce it with the KingKorg's 2-pole filter no problem. It was in reach the whole time, I just never tried the 2-pole filter. D'oh.

Incidentally, I use filter 1 on the KARP almost exclusively. Short story: 2-pole filters rule.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Trig Discipline posted:

Hey, have any of you had a chance to play around with the Roli Seaboard RISE thingies? Kinda thinking about getting one.

I haven't but I got a newsletter from bitwig about it and now I'm drooling over it. It looks so drat cool.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Three new pocket operators from Teenage Engineering, and something else which they've called the OP-Z:

I've only just gotten around to getting my covers for the first pocket operators too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sexy Randal posted:

So I'm running my Volca Beats into my MicroBrute and I have two big problems I can't figure out.

The first is that whenever I set the sequencer to Play it automatically starts playing before I hit a key, I can't seem to stop it. What I'd like (and what happens when not connected to the Volca) is to not have a sequence play until I hit a key. That seems like it should work?

The other problem is setting the time signature. Right now I'm getting 8 synth hits for an entire drum loop (I'm sorry I suck at time signatures, not sure how to better describe that). I'd like to change that, which *seems* possible based on the Step setting in the configuration software, but that isn't having any effect from what I can tell.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Doesn't the MicroBrute configuration software have a setting for sequencer play? Meaning you can set it to play automatically or on keystroke?

Stoca Zola posted:

Three new pocket operators from Teenage Engineering, and something else which they've called the OP-Z:

I've only just gotten around to getting my covers for the first pocket operators too.

Oh goddamnit. Teenage Engineering hits the perfect sweet spot for me in terms of "fun poo poo to gently caress around with without getting too complicated." Guess I'm gonna have to get the new PO series.

Interested to see what the OP-Z is. If it's between the OP-1 and PO series in terms of price and functionality, then I might just skip the POs and go straight to that.

Hope it drives down the OP-1 price though. Also they said on instagram that the OP-1 is getting an update in April in case anyone here owns one.

edit: Also it could just be a prototype case, but that OP-Z looks a little more heavy and beat up. Maybe some sort of pedal system?

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 21, 2016