Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Given how he still obviously needs room to grow as a fighter I highly doubt it, since him already being awakened removes one of the most obvious ways to power him up the story has presented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I imagine Chopper's awakening would be an amalgamation of all his forms, which would be pretty brutal.

I wonder if he'll be given a power up in Zou, considering the people he's around. Maybe they can teach him something, despite not being a mink.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I imagine Chopper's awakening would be an amalgamation of all his forms, which would be pretty brutal.

I wonder if he'll be given a power up in Zou, considering the people he's around. Maybe they can teach him something, despite not being a mink.

If this happens I'm gonna take back some of the bad things I've said about new world one piece

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

tsob posted:

Given how he still obviously needs room to grow as a fighter I highly doubt it, since him already being awakened removes one of the most obvious ways to power him up the story has presented.

Nah, Chopper power ups are knowledge based. Brain Point is one of his best forms and after the time skip he found a way to use monster form while staying in control. If Chopper gets some sort of power up it will be discovering a new medicine or learning a new science.

Monster is probably the awakened form, remembering that the Impel Down awakened zoans were similar to it aside from being totally mindless. Any improvements will be making it non taxing on his body post transformation.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I wanna see giant chopper do the brain point scan, hell I just want him to do something lately he's even been outdoctored several times lately.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Chopper could pick up the mink electric power to utilize in surgery, and also to use in battle seeing as Nami will never get a real fight again so the electric power slot is open.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

tsob posted:

Awakening just appears to be devil fruit+ (in the case of Zoans) and/or being able to apply the effects to the world in your direct vicinity instead of just yourself (in the case of at least paramecias). I've no idea why you'd possibly have a problem with that, since it's not fundamentally any different than normal devil fruit behavior really. I wonder if Logia's can awaken them in some different way or if it's just Zoans that are different.

I feel like "awakening" is just a new term for something we've seen all along. Crocodile's whole thing was that he didn't just rely on his powers - he honed them and practiced with them until he "discovered" new applications of them. So while most people would be content as an ambulatory bag of sand, Crocodile "awakened" his abilities like absorbing moisture out of people/objects, and making sand-blades with his logia body.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

EndOfTheWorld posted:

I feel like "awakening" is just a new term for something we've seen all along. Crocodile's whole thing was that he didn't just rely on his powers - he honed them and practiced with them until he "discovered" new applications of them. So while most people would be content as an ambulatory bag of sand, Crocodile "awakened" his abilities like absorbing moisture out of people/objects, and making sand-blades with his logia body.

Crocodile also trained himself to turn into sand on impact. As Logia's can be hurt by anything if they are caught off guard.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

MonsterEnvy posted:

Crocodile also trained himself to turn into sand on impact. As Logia's can be hurt by anything if they are caught off guard.

He also made it so that it stopped raining in Alabasta, so much so that it instantly started raining as soon as he got knocked unconscious.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

EndOfTheWorld posted:

yeah I really like how it developed that Crocodile is absolutely a high-tier badass even on the world stage. It'll be cool when he shows up again

it's also getting really interesting how hard the WG has worked to keep Luffy under wraps when he's been the single biggest government poo poo wrecker even mentioned in the series with things like taking down Crocodile

Thunderbro fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 20, 2016

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="455191679"]
He also made it so that it stopped raining in Alabasta, so much so that it instantly started raining as soon as he got knocked unconscious.

I thought that was because he was shooting some kind of weird powder into the air with a ship's cannons and it stopped because Tashigi impounded the ship in the meantime while Luffy was punching Croc.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Pureauthor posted:

I thought that was because he was shooting some kind of weird powder into the air with a ship's cannons and it stopped because Tashigi impounded the ship in the meantime while Luffy was punching Croc.

I thought it was because he was literally dehydrating the very air around him .

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
It's been about a deacde but I'm pretty sure that was just symbolism. Luffy beat Croc, the dance powder was stopped, and it rained on Alabasta because the suffering and poo poo was over. I don't think Oda so much as hinted at anything else. It seemed to come out of nowhere.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Advice posted:

It's been about a deacde but I'm pretty sure that was just symbolism. Luffy beat Croc, the dance powder was stopped, and it rained on Alabasta because the suffering and poo poo was over. I don't think Oda so much as hinted at anything else. It seemed to come out of nowhere.

The Dance Powder stuff was solved in the meanwhile, but yeah, that part was symbolic like you said.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Semi-baseless speculation, but what if Blackbeard's Yami-Yami no Mi acts as a key ring to hold multiple devil fruit powers at once? Could his crew be collecting devil fruits for him to "hold" so he can basically have a near-infinite array of powers to use for any situation like a human Swiss Army knife while simultaneously denying them to others who might use them? I think Blackbeard's method of "holding" fruits he can pop in and out of the darkness and access their powers directly in his darkness "body" (ie Logia [blank]-men are actually part of their body, like being a fire man like Ace or a sand man like Crocodile) is a way of bypassing the rules on a technicality and seems to fit his underhanded character.

On the one hand, Marco's comment about Blackbeard's body being special seems pretty important and it might end up being that Blackbeard actually can eat multiple Devil Fruits in the traditional way. On the other hand, the Yami Yami no Mi seems absolutely crucial to Blackbeard's plans working at all, which would explain why he would be willing to wait it out for as long as necessary or even give up if the fruit never showed up.

On a different note, what are the chances Big Mom has a Wapol-esque Devil Fruit power of swallowing people and gaining their abilities by absorbing them that way? It would explain how she got so huge by absorbing the "essence" of people, kind of like Nightmare Luffy on Thriller Bark.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Yonkou (minus Shanks) each had some unique gimmick that set them apart from everyone else on the planet (ie Big Mom eating people for strength, Blackbeard with collecting Devil Fruits, Kaidou's weird immortality, etc). Shanks and Whitebeard were even stronger though in sheer badassery and determination (also translating conveniently to Haki as a tangible force in the OP universe), which is like the underlying trump card that ultimately beats out all other variable factors.

I'm still betting on Roger himself just being a plain bad rear end with no Devil Fruit powers but immense will to conquer all obstacles like Shanks and eventually Luffy, which will help the latter when he finds his rubber powers disabled against Blackbeard. It's been a looming theme, especially with Film Z with Z and Kizaru at the beginning, that those who are too overconfident and overly reliant on their Devil Fruit abilities will find themselves sucker punched by others who rely more on their innate willpower to defeat anything in their way as a basic part of their inherent character (as Whitebeard pointed out to Blackbeard at Marineford and the irony of Blackbeard's superficial powers and arrogance towards other Devil Fruit users will most definitely be highlighted in the fight between Blackbeard and Luffy).

You can even see this in the fight between Luffy and Crocodile. In overall strength, by all means Luffy should have lost (and did twice) against Crocodile, a rookie against an experienced Logia-user and Shichibukai. But, because of his tenacity to surpass Crocodile and overcome to save his friends in their plight, Luffy beat Crocodile using water and then his own blood and abilities to craft a way to win despite all odds against him. This is how Luffy is able to make miracles happen and still survive and win in the end despite ridiculous odds: the basic willpower to overcome all obstacles that will be the defining aspect of the Pirate King. Reaching Raftel is the barrier to entry that shows you've got this quality and only someone who could match Roger's tenacity would be able to claim to be his real successor.

E: sorry for wordiness, typing on phone

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 20, 2016

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Fair dues for typing all that on a phone. More effort than I'd be willing to put in on one. That said, I disagree about Roger having no fruit power and have figured he had a psychometry fruit or fruit that gave him that ability as part of it's powers given the "hear the voice of all things" line that Rayleigh gives Luffy. It stands as fairly unique as a power even within One Piece and the only thing I can think of that's even close to it is Zoro's zen moment where he learns to cut steel since, if I recall, he mentions hearing something there. I don't think that's the same thing though, especially since it hasn't been brought up since.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

tsob posted:

Fair dues for typing all that on a phone. More effort than I'd be willing to put in on one. That said, I disagree about Roger having no fruit power and have figured he had a psychometry fruit or fruit that gave him that ability as part of it's powers given the "hear the voice of all things" line that Rayleigh gives Luffy. It stands as fairly unique as a power even within One Piece and the only thing I can think of that's even close to it is Zoro's zen moment where he learns to cut steel since, if I recall, he mentions hearing something there. I don't think that's the same thing though, especially since it hasn't been brought up since.

Luffy could hear the Sea Kings, though! Not sure if that's the same thing tbh.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
edit: never mind

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Silento posted:

Luffy could hear the Sea Kings, though! Not sure if that's the same thing tbh.

I'd forgotten that to be honest, though I don't know that it's the same thing either since if I recall, it's implied Roger could read poneglyphs simply by "hearing" them for instance. He basically has to have, since only Robin and a couple of Oharan scholars have been mentioned to be able to read the language and to be massive exceptions. Luffy learning to hear things like that would seem to be a bit of a stretch for the story, since it'd take away from Robin's main goal. Not that it might not happen despite that, but I hope not.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Roger was actually in a horrible accident on his first voyage and was made deaf. However, it turns out that a pirate who can hear nothing can hear everything, including writing.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

tsob posted:

I think it is an ability related to Color of Observation. Luffy was able to "read" Bellamy's thoughts before that last punch while Fujitora was able to read people's thoughts as they expressed their frustration/anger towards Doffy during the Parasite chaos and then their joy and relief after it was all over. Fujitora is basically able to "see" people just fine by sending them through CoO like Usopp was starting to be able to when aiming for Sugar at Doffy's palace.

Apart from the off-chance Roger had the Gomu Gomu no Mi before Luffy (which would be a horrible cliché cop-out this late in the series), I just think Roger was incredibly strong-willed person and had such levels of Haki that he could perceive the desires and wishes of others even through foreign/ancient writing without the actual training or refinement of an Oharan scholar, like Rayleigh mentioned to Robin on Shabondy. It's like interpreting or sensing the meaning of something through context/the "spirit" of the letter (spirit having a literal embodiment in the OP universe :v:) versus actually translating something.

To tsob, sensing the meaning of something is still different from an actual translation, as Rayleigh acknowledged by saying that the Roger pirates weren't entirely sure about it and that they couldn't match the skill of an Oharan scholar and that Robin/the Straw Hats might come to a different conclusion about the history/meaning of the world; so the sensing abilities still wouldn't detract from Robin's goal in this case.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 21, 2016

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Just because the readers get to see the internal monologues of characters, doesn't mean Luffy, Fujitora, etc can hear people's thoughts.

I always interpreted Observation haki as simply being able to sense people's emotions/auras/intentions.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Semi-baseless speculation, but what if Blackbeard's Yami-Yami no Mi acts as a key ring to hold multiple devil fruit powers at once? Could his crew be collecting devil fruits for him to "hold" so he can basically have a near-infinite array of powers to use for any situation like a human Swiss Army knife while simultaneously denying them to others who might use them? I think Blackbeard's method of "holding" fruits he can pop in and out of the darkness and access their powers directly in his darkness "body" (ie Logia [blank]-men are actually part of their body, like being a fire man like Ace or a sand man like Crocodile) is a way of bypassing the rules on a technicality and seems to fit his underhanded character.

This is very much what we're supposed to be assuming. Blackbeard just touching someone drains their fruit power, and the Dark-Dark fruit is the king of Devil Fruits despite being kind of trash on its own merits compared to even some of the better Paramecia fruits like Munch-Munch that turn you into a walking, diamond-armored nuke.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
It'll be funny when Luffy finally beats Blackbeard/knocks him unconscious and all these dozens of whole Devil Fruits come spitting out of Blackbeard like hitting the jackpot on a slot machine.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

tsob posted:

I'd forgotten that to be honest, though I don't know that it's the same thing either since if I recall, it's implied Roger could read poneglyphs simply by "hearing" them for instance. He basically has to have, since only Robin and a couple of Oharan scholars have been mentioned to be able to read the language and to be massive exceptions. Luffy learning to hear things like that would seem to be a bit of a stretch for the story, since it'd take away from Robin's main goal. Not that it might not happen despite that, but I hope not.

the sea kings noted that there was another human able to hear them out (heavily implied to be roger) so no it shouldn't be a.... stretch at all for luffy

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
One Piece 813 out:

http://www.mangaumaru.com/archives/604089

...in Korean. :shittydog:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

SUCKS TO BE WHITE.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm constantly amazed at how lovely Korean scans are in comparison to US and Chinese scans.

Like, they don't even bother cleaning stuff up.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's good to have Sanji back, even if he's immediately about to peace out again.

And after that craziness, I think a battle inside Capone is an absolute certainty.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It's good to have Sanji back, even if he's immediately about to peace out again.

And after that craziness, I think a battle inside Capone is an absolute certainty.

The castle caught on fire real quick, which came as a surprise.

Froggycleric
May 11, 2013

Don't sully his love with imagined reasons.
English

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/One-Piece/One-Piece-813--An-Invitation-to-the-Tea-Party?id=262039

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I absolutely love when One Piece delivers on plot points set up almost two decades ago, holy poo poo

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Hooray! Sanji's gone forever!

(No, I am actually kind of interested in this plotline now.)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Sanji's getting cool again

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Kissmanga doesn't seem to work on my mobile. :(

Mangapanda alternative:

http://www.mangapanda.com/one-piece/813

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

To you bastards,

This redeems everything bad about sanji for the last 2 years.

Not really but hey its almost enough.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I like that on Dressrossa, Sanji had just hit it off with the princess with the peeping devil fruit. Then he has to disappear, and a year or two later when we finally see him again, he's being forced into marriage with someone else.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
This was a great chapter with a lot of plot development. I like how Caesar was starting to warm up to the Strawhats and then Sanji turns around and holds him hostage. This is definitely the Sanji we all know and love so I hope to see more of his intelligent badassery and not him passing out from blood loss.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Guy A. Person posted:

They'll have Crocus showing Laboon and him bellowing happily and it will be magical

Leavin' dis here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

EDIT: double post somehow

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 21, 2016