Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

BiggerBoat posted:

Was Insomnia the one where dudes had little balloons over their heads and projected auras, or am i thinking of a Dean Koontz novel? Either way, that was my problem with Insomnia; it read exactly like a second rate Dean Koontz novel. The fact that I can't recall who wrote it only reinforces this. Having an old guy as the protagonist was the least of that novel's issues.

Yeah, that's Insomnia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

I see few - if any - posters itt claiming Insomnia is a good book, more that they didn't mind it or find as boring as other people did. I think it is a question of boredom/formula tolerance. I cannot imagine anyone here who has read 30-40 SK novels (esp. including those from the 70s and 80s) putting Insomnia in their top 5 or even top 10 SK books. I had read everything by SK (except DT series) by the time Insomnia was published and I read it when it came out. I was crushed by boredom because of the lazy writing, bloated size, slow pace, formulaic plot and forgettable characters. If you hadn't read 25-30 SK books before then you might have found it more fresh and more involving.

I identify with characters when they are well depicted and I become attached to them when the writer sets up characters and plot that I become involved in. I have said itt that I like Tom Gordon and Dolores Clairborne and I am not female nor am I a child or elderly. Perhaps my gripe with Insomnia is actually explained in my post but hey... :shrug:

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

I see few - if any - posters itt claiming Insomnia is a good book, more that they didn't mind it or find as boring as other people did. I think it is a question of boredom/formula tolerance. I cannot imagine anyone here who has read 30-40 SK novels (esp. including those from the 70s and 80s) putting Insomnia in their top 5 or even top 10 SK books. I had read everything by SK (except DT series) by the time Insomnia was published and I read it when it came out. I was crushed by boredom because of the lazy writing, bloated size, slow pace, formulaic plot and forgettable characters. If you hadn't read 25-30 SK books before then you might have found it more fresh and more involving.

I identify with characters when they are well depicted and I become attached to them when the writer sets up characters and plot that I become involved in. I have said itt that I like Tom Gordon and Dolores Clairborne and I am not female nor am I a child or elderly. Perhaps my gripe with Insomnia is actually explained in my post but hey... :shrug:

That's pretty much my feelings on it as well. I've read most of King's bibliography from the 70's to mid-nineties barring DT, but Insomnia was just too much of the bullshit and lazy writing I had tolerated for so long in other Stephen King books because they had other good qualities (like engaging characters or interesting plots).
I like the general idea of an older protagonist, and the concept of struggling with insomnia until you start seeing weird creatures and wondering if you're hallucinating or not. I just didn't think King managed to tell that story in a good way, and considering how the story progressed from there I find it strange that this was the one story he ever planned out before he wrote it. Only several years later I read that Insomnia was connected to King's big fantasy series and that Darth Tower (or whatever King's version of Saruman was called) came from that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
11/22/63 Trailer is up. Interesting that they changed the meat locker to a closet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QIShmtBdto

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Another trailer up on Facebook

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=571332259688109&id=537191503102185

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

D'oh that's the one I meant to link originally.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

imabanana posted:

Is there anyone besides Joe Hill putting out short story collections like King's old ones? I am not hopeful because I know it's a mostly dead format (at least compared to 30+ years ago), but I'd enjoy reading anything even half as interesting as Skeleton Crew and Night Shift.

I think part of what was great is that King was able to move between horror, sci-fi, etc. in those collections so you really never had an idea of what was coming next.

Brain Keene does, in a little different way. He's best known for the 'The Rising' zombie novels, but he actually used those to springboard a nice little shared universe, and has many short stories taking place in those.

He also did a short story book for Earthworm Gods and one for The Rising where the entire short story book is a collection of the "No Great Loss" chapter from The Stand, basically.

Darko fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 11, 2016

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The difference is that Joe Hill is reasonably competent whereas Brian Keene writes with his eyes closed and his finger up his nose

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell
I like what I'm seeing so far. I really, really hope they get this right. I liked the book very much.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Berzerker posted:

The difference is that Joe Hill is reasonably competent whereas Brian Keene writes with his eyes closed and his finger up his nose

Shorter stories tend to hide flaws better.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Is Stephen King Cast worth listening to? Seems like an interesting concept, going through his works in order.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Medullah posted:

11/22/63 Trailer is up. Interesting that they changed the meat locker to a closet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QIShmtBdto

Possibly a Narnia/ Camelot joke?

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I read Insomnia when i was just diving into the King. I think the only other book i read was The Green Mile and i remember finishing it and definitely being bored by it.

Couldn't tell you what actually happened in the book at all

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Idris Elba has officially been cast as Roland in the upcoming Dark Tower movie.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
thats sweet as hell

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

muscles like this? posted:

Good news? Best news I've heard about this movie.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

muscles like this? posted:

Has the dogwhistle begun to sound? "Roland? A coloured? My goodness, I do believe I have the vapours (from all this kerosene I've doused this immense crucifix in)"

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Has the dogwhistle begun to sound? "Roland? A coloured? My goodness, I do believe I have the vapours (from all this kerosene I've doused this immense crucifix in)"

I don't think any real King fans would self-identify as racist and go on stupid tirades, but prove me wrong internet. :allears:

He might be, and we might be but 60s era racist assholes get put in their place enough in his stories that, yeah, we got the message.

Don't be a honky mah faw

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

syscall girl posted:

I don't think any real King fans would self-identify as racist and go on stupid tirades, but prove me wrong internet. :allears:

He might be, and we might be but 60s era racist assholes get put in their place enough in his stories that, yeah, we got the message.

Don't be a honky mah faw

They're couching their racism in concern that the Detta storyline is going to be ruined.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

Ornamented Death posted:

They're couching their racism in concern that the Detta storyline is going to be ruined.

We don't really have to be racist to suppose that a Stephen King adaptation might be boned by inexplicable changes. That just requires a passing knowledge of past adaptations. Also, my man-crush on Idris Elba knows no bounds.

That said, casting Elba might be the best way of ditching King's painfully earnest, well-meaning, tin-eared, Aging-White-Boomer-Discussion-of-Race that always makes me cringe on my way through it. They can bypass it entirely.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
this means the detta segments will work and flow well with the story instead of bwleing jarring and tacked on.,,they'll help define Roland now

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I just hope that they keep making films up through and including Wizard and Glass, which are praised by critics and thought to be outstanding achievements in cinema but they are box office flops so at that point they decide to stop with the franchise.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
I know y'all be stroking your collective glanses through the pockets of your collective jorts at the prospect of Hooo dem racists on Twitter gonna git so MAD le epic troll et cetera but surely the more pressing concern is that Idris Elba can't loving act and looks nice and friendly while Roland is supposed to be an ugly old threatening motherfucker.

EDIT not that they're ever going to make this thing.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Disgusting Coward posted:

Idris Elba can't loving act and looks nice and friendly while Roland is supposed to be an ugly old threatening motherfucker.

this post is like a 40 degree day.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

this post is like a 40 degree day.

lovely

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Disgusting Coward posted:

Hooo dem racists on Twitter gonna git so MAD le epic troll et cetera

woof

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Medullah posted:

I just hope that they keep making films up through and including Wizard and Glass, which are praised by critics and thought to be outstanding achievements in cinema but they are box office flops so at that point they decide to stop with the franchise.

I really liked Wizard and Glass :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

I really liked Wizard and Glass :(

So did I. That's why I want it to end there, on a high note

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I liked all of The Dark Tower and I hope the movies are good.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I take my Stephen King the same way I take my other favorite media. When it's bad, it's REALLY bad. When it's good, it's pretty great. And every now and then, it's sublime. You have to take the bad with the good and not give up. That's my philosophy.

Then someone like Cormack McCarthy (merely one example) comes along and makes everything else look like CSI.

Sefiros
Mar 16, 2006

go radish go

Jia posted:

I liked all of The Dark Tower and I hope the movies are good.

How dare you.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Ornamented Death posted:

The twist: a white woman will be cast in the role of Detta.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I want to see brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie as Eddie and Susannah

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

The twist: a white woman will be cast in the role of Detta.

Jaden Smith for Eddie plz

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was defending King the other day because some guy at work never read any of his books and started with the loving dark tower trilogy. Of course he didn't even finish and just poo poo all over the first book (!!!), I started going in on how King's a writer's writer and how his books have all these great little references and are well researched and he's at his best when he's telling the story of a town and its community rather than an epic sprawling fantasy and blah blah blah and then I get home and oh hey, dreamcatcher is on, I've never seen it or read the book, neat!

Man did I feel like such a chump for defending that man (I'd do it again, but holy poo poo was that movie off the rails).

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Jaden Smith for Eddie plz

I would love to see the riddles he'd come up with to beat Blaine.

Anyway re: Dreamcatcher, I am embarrassed to say I enjoyed the movie the first time I saw it, to the point where I was recommending it to friends/family. I don't know what was wrong with me back then because rewatching it, particularly the really goofy ending, is unbearable.

Roydrowsy
May 6, 2007

I really enjoyed Insomnia. I really got into the who eating auras and the bald little Doctor stuff. I enjoy king books when he creates a situation and you get to live in it a bit.

The whole abortion rally plane crash at the end wasn't all that exciting, and ultimately the whole point of the book is to open the door for the lamest part of The Dark Tower.

I dunno exactly where I'd rate it, but in the top half for sure.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
It also acts as pretty good foreshadowing for The Crimson King being a total loving wet end pussy rear end bitch. Turning out to be some crazy old hobo with a crate of bombs is arguably a step up from being a jive talking catfish who gets beaten the gently caress up by a sleep deprived septuagenarian.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

I was in my favourite second-hand book shop over the Christmas break and I picked up a copy of Cycle Of The Werewolf. I've read most of King's books, but this was one that I'd never got round to/bought/seen in the library/whatever.

Grabbed it this morning on the way to the gym, and by the end of 30 minutes on the exercise bike I was 9 months through the 12 chapters. The thing is short! Finished it just now sat at my desk. It was fun, and diverting, but it feels like it was written in a real hurry - without the illustrations it would be a good short story.

And the whole thing felt like it needed a good fleshing out. Characters were sketched, then eaten. Fat virgins were mildly ridiculed, then eaten. Handicapped boy saved the day. Typical King.

Odd to read a King where the 'Also by this author' list is just seven books...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Originally the Cycle of the Werewolf was going to be written as very short stories accompanying illustrations for a 12 month calendar. However, King wrote a bit more than would sensibly fit, so the illustrations got re-purposed to go with each of the still pretty short chapters in the hardcover book release.