Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Dienes posted:

Are those green tea KitKats around the rim? Would so hard.

Same, I love green tea ice cream and that crazy sundae looks amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Tiggum posted:

If that's butter, why is it white?

You can't just ask that.

But because you did: :eng101: WALLA

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

EorayMel posted:

Does this count as AFP? I feel like it should.

Wow, did they ever get screwed.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

cash crab posted:

You can't just ask that.

But because you did: :eng101: WALLA

The related questions there are mostly pretty reasonable, but someone asked "What is the difference between peanut butter and jam?" and another "What are the differences between whipped cream and cream cheese?" :stare:

Following the links results in more great questions:

Peanut Butter: How does Jif define a "choosy mom"?
When someone mentions a "peanut butter sandwich" do they really mean a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?
How does cheese differ from peanut butter?
What does cream cheese taste like?
What is whipped cream?
What's the difference between sour cream and cream cheese?
What is the difference between yogurt and sour cream?
What is the worst-case scenario in making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?
What's the difference between normal peanut butter and reduced-fat peanut butter?

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Tiggum posted:

If that's butter, why is it white?

The yellow color in butter comes from beta-carotene that varies in amount based on what the cow eats, so you can find both white and gold yellow at most supermarkets. Alternatively the color balance is off in the photo.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

How does Jif define a "choosy mom"?

Let's just say Jif's a little behind in the corporate PC game

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Underwater Shoe posted:

It died for you! Give your food the respect it deserves. Real men look their dinner in the eye.

I hated making whole poached salmon at my hotel kitchen job. It tasted good, but it always just had this so-bland-it's-gross look to it. It was like being in one of those rooms that hasn't been redecorated since 1976

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Sleeveless posted:

Misha Collins is the fuckin' best and single-handedly makes up for the entire Supernatural fandom.

Thread relevant: Him wearing a suit made out of cheese.

Pretty much. I work with him and he's pretty much just an awesome dude, a lot more chill in real life than his stage persona but still very, very weird.

I gave him kale soda once, as a dare. He did not like it.

EorayMel posted:

Anyway, CONTENT!

Not gonna lie, a bunch of this made me really nostalgic for lovely English food. I miss fat, soggy chips with sarnies. :(

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I feel like eating fish with a lot of small bones is a differentiator between west and east. I had some freshwater eel(?) noodles in China once where the eel was chopped up with the bones still in, and it was all mixed together in a sort of slurry. The actual noodles themselves were great but I definitely don't like having a mouthful of bones in every bite? It's common in China to steam a freshwater fish like carp and then pick it apart, but you have to constantly spit out small bones with every bite. This really turns me off, but billions of Chinese people seem to have no issue with it?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Throatwarbler posted:

I feel like eating fish with a lot of small bones is a differentiator between west and east. I had some freshwater eel(?) noodles in China once where the eel was chopped up with the bones still in, and it was all mixed together in a sort of slurry. The actual noodles themselves were great but I definitely don't like having a mouthful of bones in every bite? It's common in China to steam a freshwater fish like carp and then pick it apart, but you have to constantly spit out small bones with every bite. This really turns me off, but billions of Chinese people seem to have no issue with it?

If jagged shards aren't cutting open your cheeks with every meal, are you really eating?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I solve the small bones in fish problem by not eating fish

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Throatwarbler posted:

I just chew it up and eat any bones that i happen across as long as it's not unchewable

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I should point out that Tiggum is from the country that unironically eats what is basically that concoction:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I should point out that Tiggum is from the country that unironically eats what is basically that concoction:

I wasn't saying I'd eat the bread with nuts and lollies on. But I would definitely eat fairy bread. Is it really unique to Australia? It's just a thing you serve at children's birthday parties.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

EorayMel posted:

Does this count as AFP? I feel like it should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0pbY_wh1Dw&t=52s
You know exactly what this is.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

I wasn't saying I'd eat the bread with nuts and lollies on. But I would definitely eat fairy bread. Is it really unique to Australia? It's just a thing you serve at children's birthday parties.

Somehow yeah, it seems to be just an Australian thing. Seems like something kids would make themselves in American trailer parks to me.

Also aww, you call them "lollies"

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I like to bake a fresh-caught trout or freshwater bass in a salt dome. No scaling or skinning required, just gut them and remove the gills, stuff the body cavity with some aromatics, bed them down on a baking pan covered in a half-inch of salt and lid it with a couple more pounds of slightly moistened salt. Thirty minutes or so at 450 degrees, the skin slides right off and the fish is delicious.

If you made the mistake of scaling and skinning it first, enjoy your salt lick.

Nothing AFP about two eggs easy over with nice runny yolks and a slab of fried ham. Only thing off about it is the beans.

Goddamn I want some breakfast now.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Aesop Poprock posted:

Somehow yeah, it seems to be just an Australian thing. Seems like something kids would make themselves in American trailer parks to me.

Also aww, you call them "lollies"

I was in a real life security training once that was being given by a very serious roided out Aussie dude with wraparound shades and a crew cut (the official uniform of PMCs/Security Pros who take themselves way too seriously) and he got furious at us because we kept laughing as he described his work with the Australian police fighting "bikie gangs". Seriously; Bikie gangs. It sounds like a bunch of lil 5 year olds riding big wheels around shootin' stuff with Nerf guns.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I was in a real life security training once that was being given by a very serious roided out Aussie dude with wraparound shades and a crew cut (the official uniform of PMCs/Security Pros who take themselves way too seriously) and he got furious at us because we kept laughing as he described his work with the Australian police fighting "bikie gangs". Seriously; Bikie gangs. It sounds like a bunch of lil 5 year olds riding big wheels around shootin' stuff with Nerf guns.

Bikie gangs. :3:

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

lolly cake

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Aesop Poprock posted:

At first I thought it was some sort of hardened wasabi and I disagreed, but now that you're bringing this to my attention...

They're either green tea or wasabi Kit Kats.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Lolly cake and dairy bread are in NZ too. Sort of thing you grandmother makes you

jorty
May 11, 2015

grump_dog.jpg
Lipstick Apathy

bssoil posted:

lolly cake

Sure, lolly cake doesn't look pretty but it's pretty nice if you try it.

Fairy bread on the other hand is just bullshit. Butter and sprinkles on bread.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Tiggum posted:

What is the worst-case scenario in making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?

AFP Thread: What is the worst-case scenario in making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

bleughmacaroni posted:

Fairy bread on the other hand is just bullshit. Butter and sprinkles hundreds-and-thousands on bread.

e: Saveur actually posted a recipe. FFS.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

bssoil posted:

lolly cake

Excuse you, licorice allsorts do NOT belong in lolly cake :colbert:.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

e: Saveur actually posted a recipe. FFS.

They've put way too much butter, and the bread's not supposed to be toasted. Also, not nearly enough hundreds-and-thousands and they didn't cut it into triangles. Those aren't even the right sort of hundreds-and-thousands. You're supposed to use the round ones. Utter failure in every respect.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dewgy posted:

AFP Thread: What is the worst-case scenario in making a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?
Unfathomably, you decide to use the gently caress-off sharp chef's knife for spreading, and give yourself a Glasgow smile licking off the remains.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

My Lovely Horse posted:

Unfathomably, you decide to use the gently caress-off sharp chef's knife for spreading, and give yourself a Glasgow smile licking off the remains.

Im guilty of doing that.
Not the glasgow smile bit gods no thatd be horrifying.

But definitely using the first part.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
A thing people in France did was use the tiny spoons for spreading everything that was not butter. I used a butter knife to spread Nutella on toast one morning and blew my roommate's mind.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Actually you know what, giving yourself a Glasgow smile with a regular butter knife would probably be a helluvalot worse, albeit harder to do accidentally.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Eponine posted:

A thing people in France did was use the tiny spoons for spreading everything that was not butter.

I do that. Getting jam, or anything less solid than butter really, out of a jar with a knife is annoying.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Eponine posted:

A thing people in France did was use the tiny spoons for spreading everything that was not butter. I used a butter knife to spread Nutella on toast one morning and blew my roommate's mind.

It looks like your roommate is either an idiot, either he was making a fool of you. French use both knives or spoons to spread things on bread depending on the product and what's available. Spoons are OK for jam and knifes are definitely better for something as sticky as nutella.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

It looks like your roommate is either an idiot, either he was making a fool of you. French use both knives or spoons to spread things on bread depending on the product and what's available. Spoons are OK for jam and knifes are definitely better for something as sticky as nutella.

She was very convinced that you needed to dirty two utensils to make nutella on toast: one to spread and one to cut it in half. 5 people in the house meant there was never a clean tiny spoon.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Eponine posted:

She was very convinced that you needed to dirty two utensils to make nutella on toast: one to spread and one to cut it in half. 5 people in the house meant there was never a clean tiny spoon.

So she's an idiot.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Or she could just not cut it in half.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

So she's an idiot.

Really salty about utensils. Ok.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

The Ferret King posted:

Really salty about utensils. Ok.

If it's salt then a tiny spoon is appropriate

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Aesop Poprock posted:

Dutch people do it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
People that use one knife for the peanut butter and a separate knife for the Jelly, for 500 Alex.

• Locked thread