Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

IDK the core game as it was released in 2013 is baaaasically "X-Wing, but we renamed the actions."

Most of the shittiness comes from the expansions which use sloppy wording and apparently zero playtesting of interactions with existing stuff.

Admittedly the really simplistic point costing formula breaks down when you start giving ships 6+ primary attack and 10+ durability, so maybe a little more thought into that would have been good. Like, you could have had the Borg as terrifying omnidirectional movement turret ships with 6 attack and 12+ hull/shields, if you'd factored it into the point cost and made a sphere like 65 points or whatever to account for the fact that it breaks the two most basic constraints of the Flightpath system... instead of just sum of stats X2 like everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Otisburg please get help.

e; I mean that in a sympathetic way.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Otisburg please get help.

e; I mean that in a sympathetic way.

I don't have a problem. I can stop playing any time I want.

I just, you know, don't want to right now.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Otisburg posted:

IDK the core game as it was released in 2013 is baaaasically "X-Wing, but we renamed the actions."

Most of the shittiness comes from the expansions which use sloppy wording and apparently zero playtesting of interactions with existing stuff.

Admittedly the really simplistic point costing formula breaks down when you start giving ships 6+ primary attack and 10+ durability, so maybe a little more thought into that would have been good. Like, you could have had the Borg as terrifying omnidirectional movement turret ships with 6 attack and 12+ hull/shields, if you'd factored it into the point cost and made a sphere like 65 points or whatever to account for the fact that it breaks the two most basic constraints of the Flightpath system... instead of just sum of stats X2 like everything else.

I don't think it was that good in the first place- I mean, the point costing was there from the start and fundamentally flawed for pretty much everything. X-wing had a formula, too, but it wasn't quite as simple and probably better reflected the value of different things on the stats as well as the dials. That being said, it still sucked, and most of the ships from wave 1 and 2 have gotten one fix or another to make them a lot better.

Picard was in the first set, for example. Oh, the development is dumb, too, but a lot of the problems were there from the beginning.

Some of the faction gimmicks were really, really dumb, too- hey, look, a faction with no battlestations/focus action. This is super interesting! Yeah!

That being said, I think the concept of it might be interesting. The idea of a game with more powerful/attackable upgrades, and more maneuvers(back maneuvers), etc, is cool and all, but I don't think Wizkids could've made it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I should have expected this going in.

Mechwarrior: Dark Age me, shame on you.

Star Trek: Attack Wing me, shame on me.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Otisburg posted:

I should have expected this going in.

Mechwarrior: Dark Age me, shame on you.

Star Trek: Attack Wing me, shame on me.

Could be worse- you could have D&D attack wing.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Panzeh posted:

Could be worse- you could have D&D attack wing.

I demo'ed it and wasn't really jazzed. The miniatures, the dragons at least, were better than average looking for that sort of thing.

"Armor" in that game worked like "Shields" should have worked in STAW.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I keep looking at Star Wars Armada and keep thinking that it would have made a much better system for modelling Star Trek fights that the flightpath system ever could. I must admit that i haven't played STAW but my basis of Star Trek combat is Starfleet Command, and in that game the ships don't move like zippy fighters, they move like ponderous capital ships.

There are so many things that work extremely well in Armada for a Star Trek-like combat:
- Multiple shield facings!
- Engineering commands, concentrating firepower, going faster/slower/turning sharper!
- Multiple fields of fire, with the only difference that you have less firepower in certain sections!
- Tiny little fighter squadrons (like in DS9!)/runabouts/shuttles etc
- More swooping flight system

Just seems to work so much better. Hopefully wizkids doesn't get any ideas though.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

This is my first miniatures game. Do these games really need the competitive scene to thrive in order to survive or can they be supported by casuals?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It depends where you live really. If you have a buddy to play with and you both play casually, it isn't an issue, but the pool of people playing will necessarily be smaller.

Also I found this on BGG, a review of STAW from the heady days of 2013:

quote:

The game mechanic is outstanding. If Attack Wing had been released before X-Wing, I think you would have lots of people saying "Why can't X-Wing pilots change ships like they do in Attack Wing?"

The answer to that question is 'Because it leads to just one or two captains being on every ship'.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Now that TFA renewed my starwar enthusiasm and I'm drinking deep from the well of wangs, I look at the tighter wording on the cards and the more carefully planned expansions and interactions and constrained stats and abilities, and realize that Attack Wing is basically the gonzo fanfiction version of what a flightpath space game looks like. The trying too hard Lord Nyax to X-Wing's Vader. "Oh we're going to give a ship a SIX PRIMARY TURRET and let it move in ANY DIRECTION and Captian Picard is the BEST and and"

I am going to firesale everything but my feds and some token OpFor faction (it's still okay for a casual lark with a Trekkie bro) and go full wang.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 28, 2015

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I now realize that my life aboard the STAW was a waste. My quest to become an event organizer for a bad wizkids game; misguided. An evolutionary step in the wrong direction .... I am not your puppet anymore!

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

I now realize that my life aboard the STAW was a waste. My quest to become an event organizer for a bad wizkids game; misguided. An evolutionary step in the wrong direction .... I am not your puppet anymore!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oy6DwHAi70

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

So, I don't give a poo poo about the game, I just want Borg spaceships. Should I wait for the game to die before scouring eBay?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Otisburg posted:

Thread title 100% accurate. Experience Biiiiijjjjjj

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Kilo147 posted:

So, I don't give a poo poo about the game, I just want Borg spaceships. Should I wait for the game to die before scouring eBay?

Check out the facebook sale/trade group and lowball one of the many dejected flotsom rats firesaling collections, IMO.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The final op kit my flgs is doing is on sunday. Ill prob go, buy an xwing ship for my entry fee, get a prize ship and never look at STAW ever again. Welp it was (sorta) fun making up ridiculous combos while it lasted.

"May the force be with you" ~ Spock

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah I still have an OP kit from the Enterprise Temporal Cold War arc I'm pretty much obliged to schedule and run, but I mean that's basically the final court date to make the divorce official. I'm already sharing an apartment with X-Wing.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Otisburg posted:

Check out the facebook sale/trade group and lowball one of the many dejected flotsom rats firesaling collections, IMO.

uh, link?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

https://www.facebook.com/groups/StarTrekAttackWingMarketplace/

I don't have a specific posting to point you to, and haven't looked at it in a while, but the "selling all my things" lots are increasing in frequency so keep an eye on it if you want I guess.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Looks like the thread title was updated :v:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Tekopo posted:

Looks like the thread title was updated :v:

This is now the Wizkids appreciation station, where we mock Wizkids for being bad at games, including Star Trek Attack Wing.

Remember Mechwarrior: Dark Age with blind boosters where maybe you got a "real" battlemech, and maybe you got a labormech, the 'mech equivalent of a dumptruck or a combine, with no guns or anything?

That was bad, and I was stupid for thinking STAW would be better.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Well I heard horror stories about how the Mage Knight miniatures game was hosed over as well thanks to bad OP/unbalanced poo poo.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Otisburg posted:

This is now the Wizkids appreciation station, where we mock Wizkids for being bad at games, including Star Trek Attack Wing.

Remember Mechwarrior: Dark Age with blind boosters where maybe you got a "real" battlemech, and maybe you got a labormech, the 'mech equivalent of a dumptruck or a combine, with no guns or anything?

That was bad, and I was stupid for thinking STAW would be better.

Regale me with stories of Mechwarrior and Mage Knight. I've never played those games or any other wizkids games, but I heard they screwed the pooch on them as well.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Attestant posted:

I really liked Mage Knight. It was my gateway drug from MtG to miniatures games. But boy did they gently caress it up. It should be a goddamn case study on how to not run a collectibles based game.

Though it did last a fair bit longer than a couple of releases, which was a huge part in why it tanked so bad in the long run. First they made a promise never to introduce set rotation or anything similar. Then they released a bunch of super powerful miniatures as convention exclusives, tournament rewards, or insanely rare chase rates. Think "less than 5 of these exist." in worst cases. The game got pretty huge, with a strong secondary market. But the issue was that the high tier competitive game relied far too much on the super exclusive promos, and the game was really steep to get in to, if you hadn't been there from the start.

So rather than do the sane thing and selectively ban promos and slowly rotate out the old set, they rebooted the game entirely. New rules and factions that immediately obsoleted all of the old sets and promos, and killing the secondary market overnight. The backlash was pretty bad, and the reboot never took off. If it weren't for nerds eating up heroclix to this day the company would have died on the spot.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Basically wizkids are a real example of cargo cult design.

Hey MtG does blind boosters, Mechwarrior: Dark Age can have blind boosters!
Hey X-Wing is popular and we have the Star Trek license, let's make a Star Trek minis game!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Fourteen Goddamn Years ago, I wrote this about a structural problem with the activation and "pushing" mechanic in Heroclix/Mechwarrior:

quote:

The one fundamental flaw of the system is what has been dubbed in my gaming circle as the "Clix game dance." There is an undue incentive to play passively and "turtle," as a great deal of momentum is taken away from the attacker. A basic example:

Two identical tanks are facing off. The tank which moves into range first is at a fundamental disadvantage, as the opposing tank will get a "free" shot at it after it moves into range. Even if the opposing tank misses, or the other tank survives in any kind of fighting shape, it will have to damage itself to return fire immediately.

On a larger scale, this often results in a standoff of two armies staring down eachothers gunbarrels; the first to engage will be the loser. Even blitz tactics are blunted somewhat, as the attacker can only move so many units in at a time to be picked apart by his opponent's choice of stationary units.

It was a weird mechanical conceit that actually ratfucked the theme of games about superheroes flying in to pound the piss out of eachother, or giant stompy robots, tanks, and battlesuits blitzing across a laser-scarred battlefield.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Lest we forget, Wizkids also has some of the worst quality products/painted minis in the business as well.

These, for example, are the painted minis that come with the Mage Knight Board Game (not to be confused with the Mage Knight Miniatures Game):

Heroclix is one of the main reasons why the company is so successful, and also one of the main reasons why people thought that prepainted minis could only have poo poo paint jobs. Then came X-Wing and wow, pre-painted minis can actually look good? Incredible!

Let's have a comparison:

They can't even be bothered to ink the drat ship, it looks like a plastic piece of poo poo

Actually a pretty nice paint job, and this isn't a MacDonald's Effect photo

Not only that, but the material quality of their cards is poo poo, their tokens are poo poo, they can't do inserts worth a drat and also the following:

MikeCrotch posted:

Except the Mage Knight board game, that's the only thing they make that is worth your money (thanks, Vlaada!)

Having said that, they managed to print 2 expansions for the game where:

1. The cards were of a different thickness and sturdiness, so you could physically see which cards were core and which were expansion when looking at a stacked deck
2. Tokens were made that were different colours and sizes to the ones they were supposed to match in the original game

Quality control is not Wizkids strong suit

Wizkids are eternal fuckups and not the endearing kind. There's a reason why I put a warning on the Board Game thread OP not to buy their poo poo (even though the Mage Knight Board Game is beloved by goons).

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jan 21, 2016

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Thanks for putting a finger on that, Otisburg. A group of my board game buddies play Heroclix religiously, and I've always hated the pushing mechanic, it pretty much killed the whole game for me but I could never really elaborate well enough on why. Something just feels awful about superheroes having to take a breather between actions, same thing with giant war machines.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Tekopo posted:

They can't even be bothered to ink the drat ship, it looks like a plastic piece of poo poo

Actually a pretty nice paint job, and this isn't a MacDonald's Effect photo

X-wing models are so nice just out of the blister.

Goonfession: The first banner picture in the OP (that I replaced with enterprise beercan dog when I vandalized my own OP) was kind of stacking the deck by showing my Enterprise Refit and Reliant customs that had been inked, detailed, and had the lettering decal applied to polish the turd. Out of the box they looked like lovely garbage, same as all Wizkids poo poo.

FFG is proof that prepaints can look nice at a reasonable price-point, WK just doesn't give a poo poo.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Attack Dice inflation really screwed up STAW.

In X-Wing, getting an additional attack dice is rare and special. This means that, in broad terms, you can expect most ships to stand up to a least a few shots

In STAW 8-10+ die attacks from a single ship with battlestations(focus) and a target lock were fairly easily attainable with action and effect stacking, and most ships were 1-2 evade with 7-10 or so total hit points.

So in the snub fighter game unless you're really unlucky or the enemy really focuses fire, you can have a little back-and-forth laser fire and maneuvering before you start pulling most reasonably durable pieces off the table.

But, gently caress-ed-ly, in the big capitol ship game, you were a lot more likely to just outright lose a piece on the first pass to an alpha strike. Which thematically made the momentum a little weird.

I feel like FFG knows what it means to the underlying nuts and bolts and math of the thing, which is why 4 attack is rare and 5 attack is unheard of.

Conversely is sort of feels like WK just licenced the flightpath system and said "well Star Trek ships are bigger so we'll make them all 4-6 attack dice, and make it easy to add 2 or three on top of that" without sparing a thought for what that meant to probability curves and poo poo.

All kinds of recognizable X-Wing style mechanics that FFG carefully limits got kind of run away with and "Fanfiction"ed that way. It's not terribly difficult to make a ship that can perform 3-4 actions a turn with no real drawback to doing so. Their version of "Howlrunner," a Romulan captain, just flat out grants an extra attack die in her range 1 bubble. And the end result of divorcing captains from their ships is basically that Picard (essentially Darth Vader, only the second action comes from his own personal sweet action bar) Goes On Everything.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

My favorite attackwing things:

having 20 different versions of proton torpedos all of which have slightly different wording and ship limitations on them.

Discard: 5 points - [4 paragraphs of poo poo with a flowchart of conditions for some horrible effect that dhdhdbe...gently caress why didnt i just buy donatra instead with these points....]

6 waves a year. Total playtest time for each ship: a lunch break one day.

Jesus the list goes on

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I love reading game/metagame postmortems, post all the MWDA and Attack Wing poo poo you got. (Also the Decipher Star Trek CCG if you want to toss that in :v:)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Tekopo posted:

Otisburg, was the Weyoun/Varel combo ever fixed, because one of my friends that used to play STAW told me about it and it sounds funny as hell.

Basically the weyoun captain allows you to keep any crew that you would need to tap/discard by instead tapping Weyoun instead. Varel was a crew card that allowed you to just outright cancel an enemy attack against the ship, before dice are rolled, without allowing the enemy ship to attack anyone else, as long as you discarded Varel, which thanks to Weyoun you didn't need to do. This is a game where they had to institute a 50 point limit on ships because 2 ship fleets with one souped-up ship were too common :psyduck:

Otisburg posted:

You forgot the punchline. When this was already running buckwild in the pre wave 4 meta they released another guy (on an exclusive prize ship, LOL), that you could sac instead of your captain, so you had this rube Goldberg thing that let you cancel one attack with Varel by saccing him, one more that same turn by disabling Weyoun, and if things were desperate, a third one by finally ditching her for realsies.

The fifty point cap kept you from putting her on any ship worth a drat since she cost double points on anything but one specific tiny, mostly useless ship, but it was mostly falling to the wayside around the time the meta turned almost entirely to Picard and Dukat's Borg Balls.

Oh man they applied so many clunky retroactive "fixes" to thing. My favorite was to retroactively try and turn the word "may" to a "once per game round" keyword, which needed a bunch of exceptions for some things to work right. The "may" ruling prevented you from using Varel to cancel attacks more than once per round.

Jesus Christ that stupid combo. I remember getting into an argument with a TO from another venue playing at mine who insisted that using it meant that another guy had to literally pick up and discard a placed minefield token that overlapped a ship with her because that was his "attack," even though there's nothing to remotely imply her ability can remove minefield tokens already in play.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Also bear in mind that while swarms (cheap ships that you can field a lot of, like tie fighters) were still useful in x-wing, what the gently caress are you gonna do with a whip that has like 2 attack dice and can be one shot by one of the big ship builds?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah, the funny thing is while there's like twenty two goddamn waves of Attack Wing, there are probably fewer (NOT PROPORTIONALLY, IN ABSOLUTE NUMBER) ships worth fielding than there are in the X-Wing meta. And as far as viable Captains, it's probably even more hosed.

And yeah the whole category of ships that normally you'd consider a swarmer were basically useless because of the aforementioned dice inflation.

X-wing has its downsides and real dogs, but they're nothing compared to this mess.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

There are relatively few ships which see absolutely no use in tourneys and at least FFG goes back and fixes (even though it's just extra money for them).

As a means of comparison, x-wing has an issue with 2 attack ships being slightly edged out of the meta. I can't even imagine how far below the meta curve 2 attack ships would be in STAW. There is an upcoming ship in x-wing that has a 360 arc radius and in order to upgrade its attack from 2 to 3 it costs 12 points! The Borg sphere has a native 6 attack on 360 and its 38 points :lol:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I think it's extremely cool how Attack Wing now has THIRTEEN seemingly arbitrary factions, some of which only have 2-3 ships, some of which of those 1-2 of which are only available as event prizes.

E: and it barely matters, because you can pay 1 point more to put most things wherever anyway.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 21, 2016

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
They solved that by having no penalty for arbitrarily mixing faction stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Star Trek Attack Wing is the protective husk around some serviceable Trek TNG spaceship models. No more.

• Locked thread