Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
it's too bad bob's game is so loving bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Holy poo poo that's kinda hard to read

"I used the money to get an apartment, hoping I'd figure out how to make this all work in the 8 months it gave me" oh man

I'd personally have hit the "this is a doomed project, time to move on" point long ago

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mister Sinewave posted:

Holy poo poo that's kinda hard to read

"I used the money to get an apartment, hoping I'd figure out how to make this all work in the 8 months it gave me" oh man

I'd personally have hit the "this is a doomed project, time to move on" point long ago

do you remember the guy who locked himself in a room for a hundred days because nintendo wouldn't give him a dev kit

this is the same man

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
kickstarter gave this man a hundred grand

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
i think you mean 10 grand https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bobsgame/bobs-game/description

but even so :10bux: is too much

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
jfc I thought that post was awkward to read, I looked it up and the wikipedia summary is even worse.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
remember when he posted a lovely 3d render of a console and said it would become a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDOoAw_YajU

watch all the way through

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ayn rand hand job posted:

do you remember the guy who locked himself in a room for a hundred days because nintendo wouldn't give him a dev kit

this is the same man

lol

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Suspicious Dish posted:

remember when he posted a lovely 3d render of a console and said it would become a thing

it says "no gimmicks" and it's from 2011 so how does it have anything to do with nintendo

e: lol at the website http://www.the-nd.com/

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 20, 2016

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
that man is every gamer trope plus mental illness rolled into a big turd burrito

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

lancemantis posted:

plus mental illness

you already said "every gamer trope"

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

lancemantis posted:

that man is every gamer trope plus mental illness rolled into a big turd burrito

he got further into actually making the game than 95% of them

even if it was all fake screenshots that's still better than the people who have THE GREATEST GAME IDEA EVER!!!! but you have to sign an NDA before you're allowed to look at their dog-eared notebook full of anime doodles and gun statistics

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sweevo posted:

he got further into actually making the game than 95% of them

even if it was all fake screenshots that's still better then the people who have THE GREATEST GAME IDEA EVER!!!! but you have to sign an NDA before you're allowed to look at their dog-eared notebook full of anime doodles and gun statistics
i still believe in barkley 2

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

anthonypants posted:

i still believe in barkley 2

haha

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ayn rand hand job posted:

this is the same man

that "trole" was worn out by day 5

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

http://kotaku.com/mobile-games-website-uses-patreon-things-get-messy-1754108495

TouchArcade started using Patreon for funding when ad revenue dried up

A mobile game developer gave them a $1000/mo sponsorship

TouchArcade gives one of their games a 3.5/5 review

developer melts down on TouchArcade's forum and pulls $1000/mo sponsorship

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
really weird seeing "iOS games thread fishmech" turn into a semi legitimate journalist

like the yos geeky version of boniface

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

http://kotaku.com/mobile-games-website-uses-patreon-things-get-messy-1754108495

TouchArcade started using Patreon for funding when ad revenue dried up

A mobile game developer gave them a $1000/mo sponsorship

TouchArcade gives one of their games a 3.5/5 review

developer melts down on TouchArcade's forum and pulls $1000/mo sponsorship

that's journalistic integrity for you

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

JawnV6 posted:

really weird seeing "iOS games thread fishmech" turn into a semi legitimate journalist

like the yos geeky version of boniface

really enjoyed his initial debut of trolling yosposters for an entire thread until one by one they caught on

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

qntm posted:

that's journalistic integrity for you
toucharcade is actually a pretty good site for being run by a goon

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Suspicious Dish posted:

give him some credit, he put out an SDK for it

an archive containing SDL and a main.cpp setting up a 320x240 window

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

anthonypants posted:

toucharcade is actually a pretty good site for being run by a goon

that's cool. I wasn't actually being sarcastic or anything, giving one of your most significant direct sponsors' games a mediocre review is pretty neat

ethics in games journalism

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

qntm posted:

that's cool. I wasn't actually being sarcastic or anything, giving one of your most significant direct sponsors' games a mediocre review is pretty neat

ethics in games journalism
the thing is that 3.5/5 isnt even mediocre, 2.5 is

game reviews have such goddamn inflated scores, including that one

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
touch arcade is one of the extremely few mobile focused sites that isn't shady as gently caress and exist only to take money from devs in exchange for reviews. that whole market sucks and touch arcade is good

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Sham bam bamina! posted:

if you got a 70 on a test in school you'd be barely above failing, so 3.5/5 is mediocre as hell

why should we consider something still passable if it can't even get half of things right (2.5/5)?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

if you got a 70 on a test in school you'd be barely above failing, so 3.5/5 is mediocre as hell

why should we consider something still passable if it can't even get half of things right (2.5/5)?

our whole system of grading and rating is screwed up and we try to reduce complex judgements and subjective views to a single arbitrary metric?

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

fishmech posted:

lol i agree, it makes perfect sense to compare two scales that have nothing to do with each other, one of which is entirely arbitrary, the other of which is video games

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Sham bam bamina! posted:

who cares

like, why do we want them to use the entire spectrum, it's fine

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

theflyingorc posted:

who cares

like, why do we want them to use the entire spectrum, it's fine

publishers need them to use the entire spectrum because they pay developers based on metacritic ratings

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

wgaf about video game ratings? you needed them in magazines and poo poo but now I can watch a sponsored middle schooler play it for four hours a pop. like I'm gonna stick twenty hours of my life minimum into this poo poo and I need a number for it to make a decision? like disregarding the entire article because I need my hot pockets chewed up for me and spit into my waiting gullet

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
some people itt use the entire spectrum if you get my drift

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

wgaf about video game ratings? you needed them in magazines and poo poo but now I can watch a sponsored middle schooler play it for four hours a pop. like I'm gonna stick twenty hours of my life minimum into this poo poo and I need a number for it to make a decision? like disregarding the entire article because I need my hot pockets chewed up for me and spit into my waiting gullet

Let's plays are still baffling to me

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

publishers need them to use the entire spectrum because they pay developers based on metacritic ratings

everyone would have to switch over tomorrow or ninety hours Neal isn't getting his half day vacation ever

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

keyboard vomit posted:

Let's plays are still baffling to me

just be like some younger child thing where they had to watch their older sibling play all the time and it just stuck

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

but now you have twitch and you can combine your love of the vee gees with your unrealized lust for that 30x30pixel woman in the corner

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

I was looking for a kentucky route 0 trailer to show a friend the art style and it was buried under two pages of lets plays

Why would you watch some nerd play kr0 of all things, its an adventure game where the whole point is seeing all the different dialog things the characters have

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
because youre stupid

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Sham bam bamina! posted:

because youre stupid

i work at a veegee games company and you just would not believe the incredibly boring things some of my coworkers are into

hey come watch this guy play a video game blindfolded, he could have used this time to become a concert pianist but instead he's gonna beat bubble bobble relatively quickly

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

i work at a veegee games company and you just would not believe the incredibly boring things some of my coworkers are into

hey come watch this guy play a video game blindfolded, he could have used this time to become a concert pianist but instead he's gonna beat bubble bobble relatively quickly

I'm a gamer and need to only do gamer things. My hobby is my whole life I'm a grown up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
i like having background noise while i'm pretending to create value for my fast company, and let's plays fill the bill pretty nicely

• Locked thread