Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

silvergoose posted:

gently caress that, you could start building mines and poo poo immediately and then turn the speed up really fast.

I was a young teen when it came out but I felt like the space battles and the campaign play were both such crap. At least R2 and C3PO would tell you that Skor II had built a new troop unit, that was exciting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I was a young teen when it came out but I felt like the space battles and the campaign play were both such crap. At least R2 and C3PO would tell you that Skor II had built a new troop unit, that was exciting.

I always just autoresolved battles, the combat system was shiiiiiiiit but if you brought enough stuff you'd usually win pretty handily. Concentrate forces, build up infrastructure, send diplomats, train jedi, I thought it was super fun.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

StashAugustine posted:

I'm not quite as negative about it but yeah I'm also disappointed; I'd have to see how it actually plays out. The tactics cards are an interesting idea but I don't know if they'll make combat that much better. The Death Star run is a little better than it sounds I'm pretty sure you can play it every combat round until it works; which makes it still kind of uninteresting but not terrible

I'm glad I don't give a poo poo about Star Wars and certainly don't give a poo poo about any of the crap FFG pushes out. :smug:

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Tekopo posted:

Imagine if they had done some sort of R&D system in which you build your deck of tactic cards that you draw from, and there is counterplay and poo poo and you can tailor your deck to specific tasks etc etc. Man, that would have been awesome. Star Wars Kemet.

Apart from the Star Wars bit, you've basically described Forbidden Stars (and StarCraft, as mentioned earlier)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I like that they included models of both the death star AND the half-rebuilt death star. That's pretty cool. Detailed minis too.

Game looks kinda meh though. I'm not a big fan of most 1-on-1 games in general either.

I guess you can play with 4 people?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Fury of Dracula question:

Say a hunter enters a lair, where either Dracula has left two henchmen, or Dracula and a lesser vampire are both present. Does the hunter then follow the same rules that Dracula does when fighting multiple opponents? (Presuming, then, that with two hunters the enemies would square off as even as possible?) Or are combats resolved one at a time?

If Dracula is ambushing, he resolves encounters one at a time, in his preferred order. If the hunter searches a lair or hideout with two or more encounter cards, all are revealed and the hunter encounters them in the order of their choosing.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Zaphod42 posted:

I like that they included models of both the death star AND the half-rebuilt death star. That's pretty cool. Detailed minis too.

Game looks kinda meh though. I'm not a big fan of most 1-on-1 games in general either.

I guess you can play with 4 people?

There is no information about 4 player yet, but this looks 1v1 through and through. Any other mode is going to be slapped on to make the player count go up.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

cenotaph posted:

Is this a thing I'm going to have to snap up or could I preorder it a couple of months from now and be fine?

I would order pretty quickly.

I wonder if The Great Zimbabwe will come up soon as well.

e: oh wait it's there too poo poo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fat Samurai posted:

There is no information about 4 player yet, but this looks 1v1 through and through. Any other mode is going to be slapped on to make the player count go up.

I just looked up the FFG site and it says 2-4, but the game seemed overwhelmingly 1v1 to me yeah.

Sounds like just something they slapped on the box like you said.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Fat Samurai posted:

It's probably going to be 4 player in the same way War of the Ring is "4-Player".

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

MikeCrotch posted:

It's probably going to be 4 player in the same way War of the Ring is "4-Player".

Probably worse; the war of the ring 2v2 is really funny and leads to great shouting matches. Still tacked on, though, I won't argue that.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
drat... Favor of the Pharaoh is really, really mechanically close to what I'd been making notes about. Anyone have any experience with it?

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Anyone have any thoughts on Theseus the dark orbit?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

sector_corrector posted:

drat... Favor of the Pharaoh is really, really mechanically close to what I'd been making notes about. Anyone have any experience with it?

I played it once and it seemed like a lot of pointless build-up that led to all of us having enough dice to win in the final round, so it boiled down to luckiest roll. Completely abstract with an arbitrary theme.

After we finished one game, absolutely no one at the table was interested in a second.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Banana Man posted:

Theseus: The Dark Orbit is great and you should be my friend and come play it with me, and we will play Earth Reborn also and be pals
happy and having fun forever :shepface:

Seriously though it is a very well done game. Straightforward rules and gameplay and factions that play extremely differently from one another.

It's a slightly odd mix of abstract and, uh, 'thematic' I guess but it works IMO.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

sector_corrector posted:

I enjoyed it but it can be really clear who's going to win and they're pulling the ladder up after them. I've only played it 2v2, and maybe with other players it gets a lot more chaotic, but an early run of bad luck can leave one guy attempting to make 4 sixes out of 3 dice while their opponent is rolling dice with a shovel and then adjusting the results to his whim.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

T-Bone posted:

I would order pretty quickly.

I wonder if The Great Zimbabwe will come up soon as well.

e: oh wait it's there too poo poo

Well I pulled the trigger on Indonesia. Now the waiting game begins.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Banana Man posted:

I and my friends rather jokingly call it space mancala, but it's pretty aight. Only problem is that it's basically impossible to plan even a turn ahead if you're playing with more than 2p since the board state changes too much, but for its complexity it plays relatively fast with pretty interesting decisions to make.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Banana Man posted:

I'll throw in another recommendation for Theseus, although my caveat is that the game was pretty much clearly designed for 2. In a way, it's sort of like Tash Kalar in that there are other player options, but one just seems more right, especially since more players tend to make for a bigger clusterfuck of things (to make the parallels even funnier, the 4p game is also a team thing). But yeah, really good game that's easy to learn, set up, and the races are even nicely thematic, even if some cards are kinda suspect.

It's a really underrated gem that has a fun theme, especially if you're the type to roleplay the things you're playing, since being scientists with Camcorders set up loving everywhere with a single control room makes me giggle because I am 12.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I played Elysium tonight and it was a pleasant experience. I'd play again, but I'm not rushing out to buy it. Welp that's my story.

Also last week I finally got to try Viticulture and despite the owner getting some key rules wrong, it was still incredibly enjoyable and I will be getting a copy sometime in the near future. Is the Essential Edition good enough? Or should I look to buy the full expansion along with it?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Eminent Domain: Microcosm: Small. Challenging. Fun!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

To put it perspective, Rebellion's combat looks less bad than Eclipse

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I hated it. The worst rule book I've ever seen and more convoluted and harder to learn than the full size game. Also super swingy and stupidly complex scoring. Happily put mine in the out pile.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Oh god it's finally happened. The box blurbs have gained sentience and are trying to pass as human.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

I hated it. The worst rule book I've ever seen and more convoluted and harder to learn than the full size game. Also super swingy and stupidly complex scoring. Happily put mine in the out pile.

Swingy, yeah but I appreciated that there are 5 or so special things about most every card, it adds a little meat to the game. I like the minimal engine building mechanic that replaces the role phase too. The scoring was a little complex but not bad for a euro sort of game, except for the the VP on certain planets because they're unique and hard to remember to count. The rule book took me over half an hour to figure out, to be sure, and teaching took a little while too.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Crossposting from the iOS board games thread:

So I did a fun thing last night! I went to a special playtest of physical board game+app, Fabulous Beasts. I figure there's enough crossover that it's relevant here. It's about to be launched on Kickstarter in a few days, and the version I played was still a little rough around the edges (all 3D printed pieces still) but hopefully it's all worked out soon.

So the white base is your play area, and you scan the animals/elements/miracles on the rfid bit of the base, which registers them on the app, and adds them to the in-game world, and then you stack them on the white circle.

The white Xs and arrows crossbreed the creatures or move them from their element to another (land/sea/sky) and it all adds up, points-wise, along with things you do on the app while trying to stack things and not have the whole thing topple over. It's a great cooperative game, although I can't see it being cheap when the Kickstarter, uh, starts.

Site: http://playfabulousbeasts.com

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Crossposting from the iOS board games thread:

So I did a fun thing last night! I went to a special playtest of physical board game+app, Fabulous Beasts. I figure there's enough crossover that it's relevant here. It's about to be launched on Kickstarter in a few days, and the version I played was still a little rough around the edges (all 3D printed pieces still) but hopefully it's all worked out soon.

So the white base is your play area, and you scan the animals/elements/miracles on the rfid bit of the base, which registers them on the app, and adds them to the in-game world, and then you stack them on the white circle.

The white Xs and arrows crossbreed the creatures or move them from their element to another (land/sea/sky) and it all adds up, points-wise, along with things you do on the app while trying to stack things and not have the whole thing topple over. It's a great cooperative game, although I can't see it being cheap when the Kickstarter, uh, starts.

Site: http://playfabulousbeasts.com

The visual look of the game is really something, the gameplay sounds like not really something. I mean, "stack these objects in a random order" could be done with dice alone, without RFID and programming and such. If there were such a thing as "concept games" that appeared in shows and then were never produced, this would be that kind of game. Unless the app part of the game is really interesting, I guess.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
It'll probably take off as much as Golem Arcana did

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It does look really cool though.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Sloober posted:

It'll probably take off as much as Golem Arcana did

What worked/didn't with this? I've been curious about it. Not really interested in buying it but it's definitely an odd concept.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Guys, finally. You've been clamoring for it, you've been waiting for it, and finally, the most hotly anticipated board-game-to-phone conversion has been released on iPhone.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Guys, finally. You've been clamoring for it, you've been waiting for it, and finally, the most hotly anticipated board-game-to-phone conversion has been released on iPhone.

I hope it meows every time you push a button or whatever.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

homullus posted:

I hope it meows every time you push a button or whatever.

I hope it does that even if you're not playing the game.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Morpheus posted:

I have better things to do with my $1.99, thanks any way.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just sold an old copy of Android, and me and the guy who bought it was chatting a bit about it before he left. I mentioned that the rulebook is a mess, and his response was "Don't worry we'll be playing it at the next Mensa meetup, I'm sure we can figure it out."
If they're so smart, why the hell would they want to play Android?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
That's also the name I use for my boardgaming group.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

T-Bone posted:

That's also the name I use for my boardgaming group.

I'd rather say I was going board gaming than to a Mensa meet-up.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

cenotaph posted:

Is this a thing I'm going to have to snap up or could I preorder it a couple of months from now and be fine?

It looks like they are now printing to demand, so maybe not? But if you really want it, you should order it now.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Also you can now follow me on Facebook. Jennifer King Schlickbernd. I talk about board games, and also politics (I'm liberal), sports, and my dogs on occasion :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mister Sinewave posted:

Theseus: The Dark Orbit is great and you should be my friend and come play it with me, and we will play Earth Reborn also and be pals
happy and having fun forever :shepface:

Seriously though it is a very well done game. Straightforward rules and gameplay and factions that play extremely differently from one another.

It's a slightly odd mix of abstract and, uh, 'thematic' I guess but it works IMO.

How are the expansions to Theseus? Also, just reading about Earth Reborn makes it seem kind of daunting but is it as scary to learn/play as everyone seems to be making it out to be? It looks like it could be another dust-gatherer if I'm not careful but the stories from the people on BGG make it sound pretty epic...