Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

you're not an english teen in the 90s though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

The Warszawa posted:

yeah rooney rule has just become a shorthand for the same rule in other contexts

there is a proposal to have the rooney rule for NCAA football and basketball positions

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://soundcloud.com/alvin-thechipmunkson16sp/jessies-girl

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
as an aside, the whole KILLER MIKE AND NOTORIOUS T-N-C GOT BEEF non-event reminded me that killer mikes idee fixe is owning land, and thats kind of amusing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

i dunno how i feel about the rooney rule, i feel like a lot of clubs make a mockery of it and it only works if people are engaging with it in good faith, which i don't think these clubs are doing

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

UberJew posted:

you're not an english teen in the 90s though

Or 80s or 70s

Magazine old as hell son

Still p dope tho

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

there is a proposal to have the rooney rule for NCAA football and basketball positions

how do you feel about that

zoux posted:

i dunno how i feel about the rooney rule, i feel like a lot of clubs make a mockery of it and it only works if people are engaging with it in good faith, which i don't think these clubs are doing

yeah but given that those clubs aren't going to do it without the rule, isn't it worth it for the clubs that do engage in good faith

The Warszawa fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 21, 2016

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Radbot posted:

Reminder that, despite the evidence saying that black people care more about jobs and financial security than all other political issues, what they really want is "racial justice".

Really, why listen to black survey data when you can listen to some white dude on the Internet? Blacks want finger snaps and a lack of microaggressions, not the resources to rebuild their communities.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

this reminds me i should finish that investigation of the demography of nfl quarterbacking i was fiddling with

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

zoux posted:

akiva goldsmith is the writer tho :/

idk who that is

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
noted internet white person Ta-Nehisi Coates

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

i'm glad the heroin epidemic thread has already become goons telling us about how often they do or do not get prescribed vicodin

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

paranoid randroid posted:

as an aside, the whole KILLER MIKE AND NOTORIOUS T-N-C GOT BEEF non-event reminded me that killer mikes idee fixe is owning land, and thats kind of amusing

what, like a farm

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Ah, new chat thread. Awesome.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
also the dark tower books contain one of my fav things to read (the second one) and the worst things to read (everyone after the 4th)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

i wish i owned a farm

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

i thought about posting in the opioids thread re: some personal experiences

then thought "hell, no."

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

what, like a farm

i guess

like theres that line in reagan where hes all "we all talk makin greens, but none of us own acres"

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

it's like every post radbot makes on this, he's consciously asking himself "hmmm how can i vindicate black folks' suspicions of white leftists"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Warszawa posted:

yeah but given that those clubs aren't going to do it without the rule, isn't it worth it for the clubs that do engage in good faith

I don't think any clubs are engaging in good faith. Clubs with leadership that believe in diversity at all levels are going to interview minority candidates regardless of a rule and ones that don't have political cover for it. I dunno how you do it other than encouraging the development of black coaches over time, but I feel like the Rooney Rule is superficial CYA bs on behalf of the NFL, which is a majorly Immoral Organization.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

it's like every post radbot makes on this, he's consciously asking himself "hmmm how can i vindicate black folks' suspicions of white leftists"

hes so incredibly pissy and hypersensitive about his politics its v funny but i also hate him a lot

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

the blackest survey data

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

paranoid randroid posted:

hes so incredibly pissy and hypersensitive about his politics its v funny but i also hate him a lot

hes the worst

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

the blackest survey data

Tis an ill empirical study foretold, i fear

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
how do we approach the overwhelming blackness of this survey data

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

zoux posted:

I don't think any clubs are engaging in good faith. Clubs with leadership that believe in diversity at all levels are going to interview minority candidates regardless of a rule and ones that don't have political cover for it. I dunno how you do it other than encouraging the development of black coaches over time, but I feel like the Rooney Rule is superficial CYA bs on behalf of the NFL, which is a majorly Immoral Organization.

i mean the theory is that a minority candidate can have a standout interview and land the job and i just don't think that's readily discountable given how opaque the process is

and i mean how are you going to encourage that development

like yes it is superficial cya but it is also better than the absence of it

i do not think that, in its absence, there would be a more robust path to inclusion

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

The Warszawa posted:

how do you feel about that

About the same as I do the Rooney rule in general. I think it has negative consequences (like clubs giving people interviews in bad faith) but I think it's been overwhelmingly positive and I would like to see the NCAA be more active in assuring that there is diversity in coaching hires.

The Warszawa posted:

i mean the theory is that a minority candidate can have a standout interview and land the job and i just don't think that's readily discountable given how opaque the process is

and i mean how are you going to encourage that development

like yes it is superficial cya but it is also better than the absence of it

i do not think that, in its absence, there would be a more robust path to inclusion

that's more or less my theory. i mean when you have maybe 20-total minority coaches in the top level of NCAA football, its time to do something

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

About the same as I do the Rooney rule in general. I think it has negative consequences (like clubs giving people interviews in bad faith) but I think it's been overwhelmingly positive and I would like to see the NCAA be more active in assuring that there is diversity in coaching hires.

is there any data supporting this

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
since sanders hit the scene theres been a decided uptick in freshly woke 22 year olds bombing into uspol to call everyone neoliberals, and for that i believe i may never forgive him

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

anyone else think the Free State of Jones is going to be problematico mejor

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
d-d-drat...! capitalism is kinda crappy! gently caress i gotta tell everyone about this...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

and invariably misusing the term

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

zoux posted:

It's actually had an impact on the number of black head coaches in the NFL, IIRC.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

zoux posted:

is there any data supporting this

anecdotal, but the fact that there are more minority coaches in the nfl than in the power 5 conferences, is pretty loving telling

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i think we come to an agreement that anybody who writes a sentence starting with "blacks want..." is not a leftist, but instead a pretty fantastic racist only barred from association with the trump crowd by tribal identifiers

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You guys are just liberals of the new type, the modern age! You only react to conservative action! In other words, you are all reactionary neoliberals!

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
frankly given that interviewing itself is a skill that benefits from practice especially interviews for those positions, i am not even sure that bad faith interviews (assuming they're not total stonewalls and actually go through the motions) are negative consequences they're just not as positive as they could be if they were good faith

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Lmao the 90s was a weird time boys.

I should have been a 70s man.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I guess I don't really want it to go away or anything but I'm still gonna roll my eyes when after two weeks of tweets about how much a club is courting Legendary White coach they are interviewing Denny Green like he's got a shot at the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
you ever notice that most people who say "i should have been born in a different time in the past" are garbage? like they just suck.

• Locked thread