Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Scarlet Witch #1 art by Vanesa Del Rey, colors Jordie Bellaire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

mind the walrus posted:

I really do respect his level of drawing talent, cheesecake or no, but christ that is some 6th grader critical thinking.... which given that he dedicated years of his life to rendering giant tits explains a lot actually.

The problem then becomes how much DC powers that be care not at all about putting sixth grader mentalities behind the reigns of Big Blue. *cough*rhymeswithbackfnyder*cough*

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I went back to the OP of this thread to see if there was anything about webcomics in the rules, and ended up browsing the first few pages again. I gotta comment on this 4 year old post.

redbackground posted:

I will say that I love 99% of his work (his long run on monthly Batman is amazing), but I still can't figure out the anatomy on the Red Rain cover:

Oh thank god that's not just me. I read that when I worked for a public library. Two other comic-lovin' librarians and I scratched our heads for an entire lunch break trying to figure that poo poo out, never did come up with a reasonable answer. Anyone?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Knee big.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He's carrying a boulder with a face under his arm, duh.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
BFKnee

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dustin Nguyen

https://www.instagram.com/p/_W__56l6OC/

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Y'all dont post enough.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Scarlet Witch #1 art by Vanesa Del Rey, colors Jordie Bellaire

#2. This time by Marco Rudy

Next issue it's Steve Dillon. I'm not so sure it'll be gracing this thread.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Is that watercolor? It's gorgeous. There are a couple showoffy perspective bends in the first image I don't love, but I don't really care- the whole thing is so drat beautiful.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 17, 2016

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

This is also a thread for bad art.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

#2. This time by Marco Rudy

I guess I'm a stick-in-the-mud here, but I just don't like this. Like, at all.

First of all, I have no idea how to read this these pages. It feels more like the artist wants to show off how wild he can get with panels and forgot that there's a narrative he's supposed to be telling.

Second, the pages themselves are terribly off-balance. Check out these two pages by Will Eisner:

Look at how controlled this is. Look at how we have no problem following the passage of time and understanding what the emotional state is. The first page is an explosive tragedy. There are no panels at all, just bitter emotions bleeding into one another. The second is almost humorous in how casual everyone is. Wa aren't expecting to see the corpse in the last panel, which are represented by the walls in the house.

I have absolutely no idea what emotions are being expressed in Marco Rudy's pages. He seems far more concerned with showing off his coloring and landscaping skills than making us invested in the characters and story.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Plethora posted:

First of all, I have no idea how to read this these pages.

The same as any other comic pages, including the Eisner ones you posted. Start at the top left, read to the right and down.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Kramjacks posted:

The same as any other comic pages, including the Eisner ones you posted. Start at the top left, read to the right and down.

Yeah, but I think the criticism of the flow of the art being different than the flow of the dialogue is entirely accurate.
On that second page, you get to the top right panel, and then you go.... I guess to the left most dialogue below it? But the word bubble pattern + the panel lines suggests that your eye should go to the pink "But it was someone" panel. Also, where does that face to the left of the second row fall in the flow? Is that a leadup to the top row? Is it a reaction to hektate being a nice person?
It's also got the equivalent of doing a bunch of weird jump-cuts in the middle of a conversation. There's no visual cue for your mind to track continuation of mood/emotion on faces, because it might be "a shot of the boat from far away" as the next panel, followed by "another close up of the face, but this time the other person's face!". Totally workable and cool when pulled off, but combined with the issues with the dialgoue and flow of the panel lines, it lends itself to more confusion.

The art is very pretty, but it is most definitely not assisting the clarity of the dialogue.

surc fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 17, 2016

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah just echoing that the pages are gorgeous but are hard enough to read that they come across more as a vanity exercise than a proper page. I admire that the artist was so willing to try and give the flow more of a breezy, feminine feel almost like J. H Williams III does when depicting mystical characters like Promethea or Sandman but it works against the writing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Alhazred posted:

This is also a thread for bad art.

You can find the previews now. I don't think it'll be bad enough either.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Paul Pope's power rangers variant art. I could only find it in dumb fake gold foil, so turned it black and white.

The artifacting came with.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Where do you poop in this house?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

In the poop dungeon down below ground. Why, where do you poop in your house??

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Choco1980 posted:

There's pipes going up in the dungeon though. Where do they go???

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Obviously up into the lady's dress, we've all read comics before we should know how this poo poo works :shrug:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Choco1980 posted:

Do you have a staircase toilet in your house?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Plethora posted:

:words:

See, I look at Marco Rudy's pages and I see beauty and colour flowing from one moment to the next. I look at the stuff you posted, and I can't say I'm inclined to look for more than a second because it's just appears so ugly and boring, particularly the second page which is just flat and average as hell. It comes over like the poo poo your grandad would insist so much better in his day so you check it out and you're just "yiiiiiiiiikes!" until you finally put it back on the shelf and make a mental note to ignore him on the subject in future.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Will Eisner is ugly and boring. Are you funnin' me, son?

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
Regardless of your opinion on Marco Rudy, you don't get to talk poo poo about Eisner. You do realize that the "Comics Oscars" are named after him, with good reason too. Everything you read is built on his work.

I feel like comparing those too are some real apples and oranges poo poo. I do agree that a lot of Marco Rudys stuff doesn't really flow or read well, it always feels very showy. I liked his Dr. Strange annual but I find a lot of his stuff dull. I think it might be his commitment to realism takes away alot of the expressionism of comics that you see in Eisner. #pretentiousOpinion

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sentinel Red posted:

See, I look at Marco Rudy's pages and I see beauty and colour flowing from one moment to the next. I look at the stuff you posted, and I can't say I'm inclined to look for more than a second because it's just appears so ugly and boring, particularly the second page which is just flat and average as hell. It comes over like the poo poo your grandad would insist so much better in his day so you check it out and you're just "yiiiiiiiiikes!" until you finally put it back on the shelf and make a mental note to ignore him on the subject in future.

It's just you

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

And the 13 year-old representative reaffirms that 13 year-olds are indeed ignorant as gently caress.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I look at Marco Rudy's pages and I see a guy who read the first trade paperback of Batwoman and thought "poo poo, that doesn't look too hard."

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I had this weird thought that a person could appreciate art like Eisner's and Rudy's. I might just be crazy though.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

No, you're not crazy. Just straining really really hard to be superior.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Since that's his first post in the thread I'm pretty sure you have him hosed up with somebody else :shrug:

"Mental note to ignore that Eisner hack lol"

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I'm not sure that's the case.

I like Mike Delmundo on Weirdworld and Erica Henderson on Jughead/Squirrel Girl. Their styles are nowhere near similar, but that doesn't matter to me. People get weird about artists. Protective and/or hateful.

Also: I don't really like JRJR or Mark Bagley. They're too samey on all their characters for me. Same goes for Steve Dillon, but he's a dead horse.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

trashbuilder posted:

Regardless of your opinion on Marco Rudy, you don't get to talk poo poo about Eisner. You do realize that the "Comics Oscars" are named after him, with good reason too. Everything you read is built on his work.

I feel like comparing those too are some real apples and oranges poo poo. I do agree that a lot of Marco Rudys stuff doesn't really flow or read well, it always feels very showy. I liked his Dr. Strange annual but I find a lot of his stuff dull. I think it might be his commitment to realism takes away alot of the expressionism of comics that you see in Eisner. #pretentiousOpinion

Woah, nelly! That's irrelevant though. This boils down to that other guy trying to make a point by posting pages that are nothing special and do little for me. Sorry, should I just lie to make you feel better and believe Eisner's legacy is respected and noted? I don't believe in automatically giving someone a pass because he was important to old dudes and the only other thing of his I've seen had some hideous racial caricature running around so I never felt the need to explore further. It's 2016, wonderful and amazing art can be found everywhere, much of it far more appealing and relevant to me.

If you have some killer pages, put them up, I'll give them a fair shake, maybe those were the 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' of his output and there's a load of 'Tomorrow Never Knows' or whatever I haven't seen. Show me what I'm missing but if those in that other dude's post are as good as it gets, I doubt I'm missing out.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

mind the walrus posted:

And the 13 year-old representative reaffirms that 13 year-olds are indeed ignorant as gently caress.

Is that dude really 13 because I'd believe it.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Sentinel Red posted:

Woah, nelly! That's irrelevant though. This boils down to that other guy trying to make a point by posting pages that are nothing special and do little for me. Sorry, should I just lie to make you feel better and believe Eisner's legacy is respected and noted? I don't believe in automatically giving someone a pass because he was important to old dudes and the only other thing of his I've seen had some hideous racial caricature running around so I never felt the need to explore further. It's 2016, wonderful and amazing art can be found everywhere, much of it far more appealing and relevant to me.

If you have some killer pages, put them up, I'll give them a fair shake, maybe those were the 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' of his output and there's a load of 'Tomorrow Never Knows' or whatever I haven't seen. Show me what I'm missing but if those in that other dude's post are as good as it gets, I doubt I'm missing out.

Dude, stop. All you're doing here is showing us how far up your rear end you can cram your head. As someone has already pointed out, we're talking about an artist so influential they named the comic book equivalent of the Oscars after him. There's a reason for that. He's basically the original American comic book artist. If you want to know what the big deal is, do a Google search. Eisner does not need your "fair shake".

haitfais fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 21, 2016

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah, bro! Also Orson Welles movies are dumb and old, and there are guys way better at guitar than Jimi Hendrix.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'd say it's a WickedHate rereg but I'm pretty sure even WickedHate was down with Eisner

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Whether you like Eisner's art or not, his legacy is respected and noted. He's kind of a big deal.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You guys are easily trolled

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Joe Fisto posted:

I'm not sure that's the case.

I like Mike Delmundo on Weirdworld and Erica Henderson on Jughead/Squirrel Girl. Their styles are nowhere near similar, but that doesn't matter to me. People get weird about artists. Protective and/or hateful.

Also: I don't really like JRJR or Mark Bagley. They're too samey on all their characters for me. Same goes for Steve Dillon, but he's a dead horse.

Dillon used to be a hell of a lot better before he began dialling it in some time about a year into Preacher. The stuff he did for 2000AD in his 20s is very nearly Bolland quality, and he could do it fast enough to actually work on serials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Jedit posted:

Dillon used to be a hell of a lot better before he began dialling it in some time about a year into Preacher. The stuff he did for 2000AD in his 20s is very nearly Bolland quality, and he could do it fast enough to actually work on serials.
Dillon's art for an episode of the Dredd story 'City of the Damned' got lost just before the issue went to press, so Dillon redrew the whole thing in an insanely short time to make the print deadline. The original art turned up years later (it had been misfiled), so 2000AD reprinted it - there's no difference in quality between the two, and to my mind the 'rushed' redraw often looks better!

Dillon was definitely a top-tier Dredd artist in the early-mid 80s (with a lot of 'gritty' detailing that disappeared as he streamlined his style), and his characters didn't go full Identikit until quite a bit later.