Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/01/18/htc-nexus-x-2-2016/

Obviously this is just a rumor right now, but having had someone in here who worked for HTC and posted constantly how lovely they are, would anyone buy an HTC-branded Nexus phone?

I'd be hesitant. I've always liked HTC's direction and intentions with their design, but somewhere along the line of production, things fall short. Of the three HTC devices I've owned, build quality has always been a downside in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Just got a Nexus 6P. anyone know of any good cases?

Was considering these:
http://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Hybrid...s=nexus+6p+case
http://www.amazon.com/SUPCASE-Relea...s=nexus+6p+case
http://www.amazon.com/LK-Scratch-Re...s=nexus+6p+case (TPU rubber?)
There's a couple other decent looking ones on Amazon, too.

Color is matte gold and I'd like to see it, hence the clear cases.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

an skeleton posted:

Just got a Nexus 6P. anyone know of any good cases?

Was considering these:
http://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Hybrid...s=nexus+6p+case
http://www.amazon.com/SUPCASE-Relea...s=nexus+6p+case
http://www.amazon.com/LK-Scratch-Re...s=nexus+6p+case (TPU rubber?)
There's a couple other decent looking ones on Amazon, too.

Color is matte gold and I'd like to see it, hence the clear cases.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016CBF3DE/ref=psdcmw_3081461011_t2_B015X90UJS

I have that one, and I like it. I've dropped my phone multiple times since putting it on, and no damage so far.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Mnemosyne posted:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B016CBF3DE/ref=psdcmw_3081461011_t2_B015X90UJS

I have that one, and I like it. I've dropped my phone multiple times since putting it on, and no damage so far.

How does it feel in hand? Does it make any of the buttons harder to hit or any other usability issues for you?

...and least importantly, how does it look (what color phone do you have)?

edit: I Found this imgur album of various 6P's and their skins, if anyone else wants to check it out: http://imgur.com/a/MELVp/all

an skeleton fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 21, 2016

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

RZA Encryption posted:

Google should buy HTC and become the sole Android vendor.

They already tried buying Motorola and that didn't work out for them.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Google bought Motorola for their parents and were completely uninterested in being in the hardware game. As soon as the legal dispute was over they sold Motorola off to lenovo.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

withoutclass posted:

Google bought Motorola for their parents

Mr. Page was ecstatic that father's day

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Thank you for the answers. Yeah, I agree that it looks like the battery is dying, and it's time for a new Nexus.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

withoutclass posted:

Google bought Motorola for their parents and were completely uninterested in being in the hardware game. As soon as the legal dispute was over they sold Motorola off to lenovo.

For being uninterested in the hardware game they sure design and market a fuckload of hardware, even if they contract other companies to manufacture it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

For being uninterested in the hardware game they sure design and market a fuckload of hardware, even if they contract other companies to manufacture it.

FAUXTON is right; they're certainly interested in the hardware game, they just can't do it from a political standpoint. OEMs already can't make money on Android but they have to stick with it because they also can't make money without it. They need the Play Store and the software development that they don't have to do. Google competing with them only makes things worse from their perspective because it's a complete gently caress you to all the OEMs and like it or not, Google needs to keep the OEMs happy.

Remember that a condition for Samsung playing ball and not either forking Android or going it alone was for Google to divest themselves of Motorola.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Can any 2015 Moto G owners recommend a case with a flat back? The curved back is the only thing I don't like about this phone; I'd like to be able to set it down and use it on my desk without it wobbling all the gently caress over the place.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The hardware game is a hobby for Google. It's not something that they are really interested in taking on as a large venture. Chromecast seems to be about the only Google manufactured piece of hardware that has their full attention with 2nd place being the Chromebook Pixel. Everything else that Google has made on their own has been half baked and had a short pointless life.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

The rear end Stooge posted:

Can any 2015 Moto G owners recommend a case with a flat back? The curved back is the only thing I don't like about this phone; I'd like to be able to set it down and use it on my desk without it wobbling all the gently caress over the place.

Would also like to know, but for the LG G4. I hate how phones with curved backs became a trend because otherwise they're both really great phones.

edit: speaking of cases, I had a question. Just how 'vulnerable' is the camera lens and most modern phones these days? Is setting the phone down on a desk (maybe a little roughly) going to damage it very badly? The case I use now has a 'lip' so that the lens never actually touches any sort of surface, but I'm kinda tempted to just get one of those red leather backs off Amazon and go without a case at all.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 21, 2016

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

FAUXTON posted:

A lot can change in nearly 2 years. Also possible they didn't want to tack on the motorola brand name all over their hardware.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

bull3964 posted:

The hardware game is a hobby for Google. It's not something that they are really interested in taking on as a large venture. Chromecast seems to be about the only Google manufactured piece of hardware that has their full attention with 2nd place being the Chromebook Pixel. Everything else that Google has made on their own has been half baked and had a short pointless life.

What else has Google made "on their own"? Genuine question.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

an skeleton posted:

What else has Google made "on their own"? Genuine question.

Nexus Q

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Google TV

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Chromecast loving rules in fairness, probably the most useful device I've ever owned, and the new one is fantastic and fast

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

CLAM DOWN posted:

Chromecast loving rules in fairness, probably the most useful device I've ever owned, and the new one is fantastic and fast

I've had both Chromecasts, and even bought the ethernet adapter, and they all work absolutely terribly. If I had a nickel for overtime my phone or tablet (a Nexus 5, 5x, iPhone, iPad, Nexus 7, Nexus 9, Nexus 10) lost communication with the Chromecast and I had to go unplug it, I'd have maybe a dollar. It always happens, and it's impossible to pause and scrub video reliably on it. Also mirroring Google Photos videos and pics from my device is always unreliable.

Other people I know love theirs, but none of mine have worked well.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Daily Forecast posted:

Would also like to know, but for the LG G4. I hate how phones with curved backs became a trend because otherwise they're both really great phones.

edit: speaking of cases, I had a question. Just how 'vulnerable' is the camera lens and most modern phones these days? Is setting the phone down on a desk (maybe a little roughly) going to damage it very badly? The case I use now has a 'lip' so that the lens never actually touches any sort of surface, but I'm kinda tempted to just get one of those red leather backs off Amazon and go without a case at all.

I used to have an iPhone 5c on which the lens cover was flush with the back of the phone. The plastic around the lens cover got scuffed to hell over time but the lens cover stayed flawless the whole time I used that phone. I don't know whether all phones are made like that but clearly it is possible to do so.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I've had both Chromecasts, and even bought the ethernet adapter, and they all work absolutely terribly. If I had a nickel for overtime my phone or tablet (a Nexus 5, 5x, iPhone, iPad, Nexus 7, Nexus 9, Nexus 10) lost communication with the Chromecast and I had to go unplug it, I'd have maybe a dollar. It always happens, and it's impossible to pause and scrub video reliably on it. Also mirroring Google Photos videos and pics from my device is always unreliable.

I would have zero nickels

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

You have tough luck with devices. I have three chromecasts (all old ones) and I've never had those issues. There is a small delay in clicking the device and getting it to pause, so if you were a teenage kid trying to pause on the nipple shots in a movie, you might struggle a bit. But I'm sure no one on this site is doing things like that.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Uh, wow. I've gone through 5 chromecasts for myself or family, and they've all worked flawlessly from a range of devices, including desktop and laptop casting too. I actually cannot believe your luck, sorry dude :(

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

beerinator posted:

You have tough luck with devices. I have three chromecasts (all old ones) and I've never had those issues. There is a small delay in clicking the device and getting it to pause, so if you were a teenage kid trying to pause on the nipple shots in a movie, you might struggle a bit. But I'm sure no one on this site is doing things like that.

For me, it's typically when I attempt to pause, it won't pause and then they come unlinked and I can't do any control on it. The other problem is attempting to rewind causes it to hang for like five minutes. It's just super unreliable for me. I thought maybe the CC2 would help, and then got the ethernet adapter, but it's just not stable enough to use.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Might be dumb router issues. Not wireless, just the router in general.

Otherwise I dunno that's some bad luck. Is this with plex or something? Plex will sometimes become disconnected but that's more my phone just shoving plex out of running apps for the fun of it.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

Except those rear end in a top hat Amazon fuckers don't let you chromecast through their video app.

beerinator posted:

I have a first gen chromecast upstairs. I had an issue or two with it, mostly where Netflix doesn't give me an option to pause or stop an episode.

The most recent issue I had was when I got a new wireless router with 5g/N, it can't connect. So, I dropped the router down long enough for the chromecast to connect, then reset it back.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 21, 2016

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

havenwaters posted:

Otherwise I dunno that's some bad luck. Is this with plex or something? Plex will sometimes become disconnected but that's more my phone just shoving plex out of running apps for the fun of it.
Yeah, I've never had problems with YouTube or any of the Chromecast enabled cable/tv streaming apps, but Plex can be a nightmare sometimes. So much that I've had to reboot my NAS at one point.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

Except those rear end in a top hat Amazon fuckers don't let you chromecast through their video app.

No Amazon video in Canada so for once I can be smug about our lack of services? :smith:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

havenwaters posted:

No, it's Netflix, Hulu, and Google Play. CC 100% fails my wife test, which is a shame because it's a really good idea.

I think if it came with a remote that let you do basic play/pause/seek I'd like it better. Using the phone for everything is kind of a hassle. I know it has HDMI-CEC but that's a garbage protocol that doesn't work reliably.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Google should put out a cheap WiFi remote that works with the Chromecast just for the people that can't live without one. Preferably with an audio port because after seeing the Roku remote, it really is a sweet feature.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I was about to ask if Chromecast worked with a computer monitor before I realized how fuckin' stupid that was.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

No, it's Netflix, Hulu, and Google Play. CC 100% fails my wife test, which is a shame because it's a really good idea.

I think if it came with a remote that let you do basic play/pause/seek I'd like it better. Using the phone for everything is kind of a hassle. I know it has HDMI-CEC but that's a garbage protocol that doesn't work reliably.

Well that sucks. Sounds like you'll be better off with a Roku or a Fire TV or Nvidia Shield if you were going into this for kodi without laggy menus and google play store support.

Nexus Player is hit or miss and sometimes has worse problems than the chromecast (with casting at the very least) and the extra money thrown at a Nvidia Shield ends up being worth it then even if it costs like $250ish for it + remote.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

havenwaters posted:

Well that sucks. Sounds like you'll be better off with a Roku or a Fire TV or Nvidia Shield if you were going into this for kodi without laggy menus and google play store support.

Nexus Player is hit or miss and sometimes has worse problems than the chromecast (with casting at the very least) and the extra money thrown at a Nvidia Shield ends up being worth it then even if it costs like $250ish for it + remote.

I had the Nexus Player, and it worked ok, but the remote voice search was just garbage. I have a full windows HTPC with a wireless keyboard/touchpad combo that works perfectly. I've had that for years, and keep trying other things, but always go back to the HTPC. I have a logitech harmony remote with a "HTPC" button on it, push it, and it just works. Everyone can use a computer, with Windows 8 there's a nice big Netflix icon, Hulu icon, and a you can use the browser for whatever else.

Mr Executive
Aug 27, 2006
The play/pause buttons on the Charter-issued universal remote that came with my cable box works to play/pause videos on the Chromecast (as long as I change the remote to the TV source). My TV does have DLNA, so maybe it's a bit smarter than some TVs and can interpret play/pause and actually apply them to the ChromeCast in the HDMI port. I was really surprised when I tried it and it magically worked. It also works (as you might expect) when streaming movies/etc... from my computer directly to the TV without ChromeCast.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I use several Chromecasts constantly and I can't even remember the last time I had an issue. It just works and that includes HDMI-CEC.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Yeah I've never had any problem with HDMI-CEC's reliability. Your tv and/or receiver's implementation might just be lovely.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

n.. posted:

Yeah I've never had any problem with HDMI-CEC's reliability. Your tv and/or receiver's implementation might just be lovely.

Samsung LN505A
Onkyo SR606

My home network is just a switch, with my CC, Unifi WAP, and HTPC, and then out to my router. It's a simple setup, but the CC is always problematic.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

The climbing gym I go to has a tv mounted that's always just cycling through the Chromecast backgrounds and I'm always tempted to try to cast goatse to it to see how long it took someone to notice.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Fart of Presto posted:

Yeah, I've never had problems with YouTube or any of the Chromecast enabled cable/tv streaming apps, but Plex can be a nightmare sometimes. So much that I've had to reboot my NAS at one point.

Plex is awful on Chromecast, it starts glitching out after playing 4-5 episodes in a row, which is terrible for some short kids shows. This is on both v1 and v2 Chromecasts. Also it has a ridiculous low bitrate limit that it starts requesting transcoded content at, so makes it hard to watch HD stuff.

If you use Plex a lot get an Amazon Fire TV Stick instead, works fine all day long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Jesus Christ. Which one of you enterprising goons ripped off our own brethren. Expected to see this hit shark tank first though...

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2016/01/gear-gripz-guarantees-you-dont-let-your-favorite-devices-slip-away-deals-hub.html