Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Happy Orb Conversion Day. :toot:

KataraniSword posted:

Honestly, my biggest problem with the solo quests is that if Yuffie gets bad ATB rolls, her Damage Taken medals tank in later trash waves. Like, even with Solitude, a Lv50 Yuffie can soak up a good 75% of her HP in damage with bad luck from some of this trash.

Max rank Steal HP is not a "suggestion", it's practically goddamn mandatory.

EDIT: That said, Chekhov is giving me some serious FF5 vibes here. The worst part about any solo run is bosses with Paralyze.

He wasn't to bad for me, he only landed the paralyze after he was blinded and Black Materia RW hit with sap on the first use.

Yuffie's also using OWA+Adamant Bangle+Champion's Belt, so she's 400ish atk before getting boosted by Loner. Staniv was a little rougher since sap didn't land from either BM use and I used 2 of my 8 Steal HP uses prematurely on him, but still it went alright. I did all the solo quests after having cleared up to Godo, because :lol: at trying to champion those levels when Yuffie is almost guaranteed to lose 2+ medals per stage.

Nihilarian posted:

Princess Sara? Really? I mean, I guess they aren't spoiled for choice as far as FF1 goes.

I want Bikke so that I can run him with Faris and Balthier for piratin' adventures. :yarr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Yesssss, we finally get Garland I've been wanting that for so long. Now give us Matoya and Bikke with an SB that's just launching nine pirates into the enemy

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I championed all the solo Yuffie missions the first time I tried them. :getin:

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Thoughts on the -aga spellblades? I have decent enough synergy gear to hit the cap with my R4 -ara strikes, is that ever likely to change?

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.

CaptainPsyko posted:

I want Matoya.

I want to see an event centered around Garland. You could um, make things fall down!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Beasteh posted:

Thoughts on the -aga spellblades? I have decent enough synergy gear to hit the cap with my R4 -ara strikes, is that ever likely to change?

They're strong attack abilities for when you can't hit a weakness, which is nice.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Beasteh posted:

Obviously the gain isn't very significant, but it will make an apparent difference against some of the beefier U/U+ bosses that are coming up. Definitely not a priority hone, but it could make for a decent convenience pickup if you have the orbs to spare.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Is there any real reason for me to keep my 3* summons? Thinking about trying to scrounge up the orbs to get myself a rank 2 Bahamut in preparation for the summon buff, whenever that comes.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Oh hell I have like 460k gil. Man at least orb conversion is cheap, though honing can be a bit nuts. I want to convert enough major holy/summon orbs to get carbuncle, leviathan and alexander to r2 and MAYBE valfors to r3. The r2 hone alone costs like 100k.

Also I did the math and I have enough major blacks to get the rest of my 4* black magic (firaja, blizzaja, bioga and darkra) to R3, and still have like 6 left over. I have ruinaga and waterja at r3 already. After that I have enough major fires and thunders to get firaja and thundaja to r4, or to craft a second r3 of each. Or I could just turn 2 major blacks into what will be 2 r4s of waterga, firaga, thundaga and blizzaga. But honestly at this time -agas now only mean more hones and the ability to be used on dudes with 3* black. Who even is that who could be a good mage? Selphie?

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Evil Fluffy posted:

Happy Orb Conversion Day. :toot:

For me, it's "Happy 'No Longer Need To Hit 'OK' When You Get 3* Items From A Fight' Day" :toot:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, gently caress the event quests. Orb Exchanging has just made those rewards not worth the hassle for me. Did the first one at least.

IcePhoenix posted:

Is there any real reason for me to keep my 3* summons? Thinking about trying to scrounge up the orbs to get myself a rank 2 Bahamut in preparation for the summon buff, whenever that comes.

When they're useful, they're very useful. I honed all mine up to rank 5.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

IcePhoenix posted:

Well Shiva is the only summon that has ice element damage afaik, beyond that I don't see a need for the others when Phoenix and all those 4* lightning ones exist.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Phoenix doesn't get the two-hit buff and you'll want highly-honed summons when Abyss Neo Bahamut rolls around.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
You should probably keep your 3* summons around. Shiva is still very useful in the total absence of other Ice summons and probably worth honing all the way to R5. Ifrit is outclassed by Phoenix for now, but Ifrit will get the 2-hit buff in the future whereas I hear Phoenix will not. Ramuh is definitely outclassed by Ixion/Quetz and I think both of them get the 2-hit buff going forward.

I suppose if you wanted to break down any of your 3* summons, Ramuh would be the best candidate. But if you already have them all and honed up? Probably just leave them be and convert all future 3* summon orbs you get into GSOs.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

Here's a list of summons you'll want to have honed to roughly rank 3-4 down the line for abyss;

Ifrit
Shiva
Syldra
Leviathan
Alexander
Valefor/Maduin (Maduin is overall cheaper to hone)
Carbuncle and Kirin you only need at rank 2.

The damage summons all benefit from the multi hit buff, and are the most cost efficient to craft/hone. Bahamut is a trap ability since his orbs are used for vastly superior things, Phoenix only hits once and is trash. Honorable mention goes to Fat Chocobo if you don't have Quake honed.

PS Ultros/Orthros is another trap ability, the animation owns tho :v:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I'm paralyzed by choice now that I have so many greater orbs! Do I get Maduin up to R3 to go with my Valefor R3? Diaga R4 or Curaja R4, or both?? Make a second Lifesiphon??!?

I do have an absurd amount of Greater Lightning Orbs even before conversion. What are they good for now? I have Thundaja at R4 already...

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Beasteh posted:

Here's a list of summons you'll want to have honed to roughly rank 3-4 down the line for abyss;

Bahamut is a trap ability since his orbs are used for vastly superior things,

Could you go into more detail on these?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

gently caress Bart mastery, I'm going in with my A-Team and stomping him for the relic.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Beasteh posted:

Ifrit
Shiva
Syldra
Leviathan
Alexander
Valefor/Maduin (Maduin is overall cheaper to hone)
Carbuncle and Kirin you only need at rank 2.

The damage summons all benefit from the multi hit buff, and are the most cost efficient to craft/hone. Bahamut is a trap ability since his orbs are used for vastly superior things, Phoenix only hits once and is trash. Honorable mention goes to Fat Chocobo if you don't have Quake honed.

Do you recommend Syldra just because you don't want to use Major Lightnings on Ixion? I could shatter Ixion and craft Syldra if that's the case. Also probably thinking I won't keep Quezacoatl either.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Is it worth breaking a couple Major Powers to hone Lifesiphon or do I need to be saving those for something?

I'm really overwhelmed right now.

Oh god I can finally craft Meteor but it would use up all my Major Earths and I dunno if I should...

Aerox fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 21, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Beasteh posted:

Phoenix is a good skill for raising up poo poo-level Core units in the EXP daily, as long as you don't consistently run into Poltergeists. It'll one-shot anything else in the + difficulty, and revive your flimsy-rear end Lv10 or whatever idiot whenever he gets constantly bodied. I don't regret having one honed up to R3, but I'm not gonna push it any further. On the other hand, Valefor and Maduin will be getting most if not all of my 4* Summon Orbs for a while.

Ultros summon was the first multi-hit summon, so it gets special mention for being a proof of concept that summons could actually be really amazing if they could break the damage cap. Now that we have confirmation that other skills are getting updated to do the same, it's sadly outclassed before it even appears. I hope Global gets its own poll like Japan got in order to pick a different anniversary summon, but that's probably giving DeNA way too much credit.

EDIT:

Aerox posted:

Is it worth breaking a couple Major Powers to hone Lifesiphon or do I need to be saving those for something?

Full Break is always worth making/honing. Past that, unless you really want Barrage or Flare Strike (both situationally useful, but neither overwhelmingly amazing), or want to save orbs for Flashing Blade (the 5* Samurai skill we get with the Exdeath event), there's nothing major to use MPOs on for a while - or ever, if Bloody Cross isn't your cuppa.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 21, 2016

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Aerox posted:

Just breathe. You will be fine.

Meteor to R2, feels good :)

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I'm probably not going to hone Meteor and instead focus on Flare... later, whenever I feel like I need the damage. I have a Meteor but I mostly made it as a non-elemental option before Ruinga even existed, so right now it really only gets used in Sundaily and FF13 stages where I have to field many mages due to my synergy.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

KataraniSword posted:

Full Break is always worth making/honing. Past that, unless you really want Barrage or Flare Strike (both situationally useful, but neither overwhelmingly amazing), or want to save orbs for Flashing Blade (the 5* Samurai skill we get with the Exdeath event), there's nothing major to use MPOs on for a while - or ever, if Bloody Cross isn't your cuppa.

Not to mention how the Ranger's RM2 gives you a (possibly weaker?) Barrage in place of attack.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
No idea what skills to hone now. Going to r5 my 2nd Double Cut probably, and maybe I should make some r3 -ja spells, and hone Ruinga since it's still r1 and largely unused. Might make a 2nd r3 Lifesiphon though I'm not sure I have a big need for it just yet. r3 Full Break would probably be good to have, and it'd get +2 uses back from ethers in boss rushes but I'd have to convert up some major orbs... So many decisions. Don't think I'll take meteor to r2 though.

bilperkins2 posted:

For me, it's "Happy 'No Longer Need To Hit 'OK' When You Get 3* Items From A Fight' Day" :toot:

Yeah amen to that. When I first started playing in Japan I kept looking for a way to turn that poo poo off. It's neat the first time. Not so much the next several hundred/thousand times.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Everyone keeps talking about the FFT characters being added - when does that happen for the USA version? I'm trying to decide if I should use my 50 gems now on an 11-pull on trying to get Yuffie's Shuriken or waiting for that event.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Everyone keeps talking about the FFT characters being added - when does that happen for the USA version? I'm trying to decide if I should use my 50 gems now on an 11-pull on trying to get Yuffie's Shuriken or waiting for that event.

There's 11 events preceding it. So around 3 months from now, roughly.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Estimated some time in late April. Go ahead and do an 11-pull if you want to, you'll have enough time to get more mythril.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dr Pepper posted:

There's 11 events preceding it. So around 3 months from now, roughly.

May or may not be relevant to your number, but the next batch of banners got translated and the SoM crossover and FFI events were skipped. I know we mostly expected the first to get skipped but I'm not sure if general expectations were for accessory of light to be skipped as well.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

IcePhoenix posted:

May or may not be relevant to your number, but the next batch of banners got translated and the SoM crossover and FFI events were skipped.

I didn't count the SoM event, figuring it'd be skipped, but I did count the FF1 event. :ughh:

Why on earth are they skipping it. Why.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
FFT isn't the only great banner coming up, though- there'll be five SSSB banner with a ton of SSBs and other great character-specific items (no dud generic 5*s). We might get a couple Lucky Draw banners too.

So Ultros isn't as great for having multi-hit anymore, but it does cause Blind. Might save an ability slot by letting you do damage and blind at the same time.

Man, I'm paralyzed by choices too. I upgraded all my 1 and 2* summon orbs, but beyond that I'm not sure what to do. What are the odds Raise (or Death) will ever be useful again? The bosses are all hard enough now that I can't really see DeNA giving any boss that can provide a challenge instant death vulnerability.

edit: immunity =/= vulnerability.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 21, 2016

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

Dr Pepper posted:

I didn't count the SoM event, figuring it'd be skipped, but I did count the FF1 event. :ughh:

Whaaat? Does that mean we'll never get Warrior of Light's MC2? They better be planning something good soon.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

... wait. I just realized that the Orb heroics are now super loving important now. Not sure if it's on the same level as the Sundaily, but god drat.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Schwartzcough posted:

FFT isn't the only great banner coming up, though- there'll be five SSSB banner with a ton of SSBs and other great character-specific items (no dud generic 5*s). We might get a couple Lucky Draw banners too.

I'm probably in a minority on this opinion, but the Penelo banners coming in a few weeks are pretty good too if only because the first one has an ever coveted medica on it. It's even a pretty decent medica too, with a party wide ATK buff attached to it.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Killing Vector posted:

Uhh, looks like ability shattering and orb exchange just went active.

I saw that this morning. I jizzed in my pants. Also, gently caress Staniv. I had to revive because I was sick of his bullshit with Solo Yuffie, didn't help I only had four loving casts of Steal HP left after the mobs. Silver lining? With Loner, OWA and the Wolf Earring (She also had a balamb uniform since I have jack and poo poo for FF7 armors outside a 4* protect vest), she could quad-9 enemies with it and heal back almost 3k HP.

Dr Pepper posted:

Because gently caress us, that's why.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Got fortunate on the FF13 boss rush, needed one S/L to get past Byrnhildr and that was it.

I think my 5* slump has passed for the time being, pulled a Keepsake Knife, giving Fang something to use to whack monsters upside the head if I use her. After a couple of wet farts in the FF7 banner, came back to do one last pull on the first F13 banner and pulled Hope's Airwing.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
Ok I'm out of money but I have more than enough junk to get good hones for my black magic, spellblades and summons. Save anything requiring ice and lightning due to me still needing r2 full break of course.

I need to decide how I'm going to be handling black magic though. I made one major black into 3*'s so I can finally start honing my damned 3* spell blades past r2. Them and comet.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Schwartzcough posted:

So Ultros isn't as great for having multi-hit anymore, but it does cause Blind. Might save an ability slot by letting you do damage and blind at the same time.

Man, I'm paralyzed by choices too. I upgraded all my 1 and 2* summon orbs, but beyond that I'm not sure what to do. What are the odds Raise (or Death) will ever be useful again? The bosses are all hard enough now that I can't really see DeNA giving any boss that can provide a challenge instant death immunity.

Perhaps for one of those multi-phase bosses like one of the Seymour's that had lackeys who were susceptible to Death.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

Could you go into more detail on these?

Blade Flash, Thief's Raid, Break Fever and Dark Zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Fanatic
Oct 28, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

One rumor I heard is that the event is meant to run with the anniversary celebration, so DeNA could be saving it for that. Past that? :shrug:

• Locked thread