Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Endbuster posted:

"We need 'depressing' fire"

These shots make me depressed...
:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Der Waffle Mous posted:

It amuses the hell out of me that goons have more or less developed their own clan commlang.

Aff.

C'mon, there are so many things to rip on that you'd need a lexicon for the alternate nomenclature.

What sucks is that even the word "slang" can't be legitimately used because SLang is synonymous with "sucks".

Sorry the soundcloud didn't work amw, that's Rev and Prof. Curly doing the schooling. :patriot:

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Prof Curly shall always have the gooniest of voices

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Endbuster posted:

"Put shots downwind"
"Focus B as in Boy"
"Slice the pizza if you're poking"
"We need 'depressing' fire"

I'm going to make frantic calls for "downwind depressing fire" every game, now.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Never follow commoners

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
Brawled with a ghostdad and 2 rhinos for quite a few matches last night, using the ECM to flank or get to the enemy rear. Going 3v6 and winning, or watching the enemy panic when you show up on their flank never gets old.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Rhino?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Here's what happens when you bring 12 Atlases to CW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeErl63VEbY

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Super hot brawling Stalker (6 ml, 4 srm6 or asrm4) that charges someone down, and deletes them in two alphas.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Drythe posted:

Prof Curly shall always have the gooniest of voices

Aah i see you've never heard the dulcet tones of Rufus Landale

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Pattonesque posted:

Here's what happens when you bring 12 Atlases to CW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeErl63VEbY
March of the dads

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

Vorenus posted:

That's not bad, I've run the same. I personally don't care much for the Clan AC mechanic, but if you're going to run one I'd swap the 5 small pulse for four non-pulse mediums so your laser range matches your ballistic. If you can get a full burst of Clan AC on target you should have no problems holding the full MLAS duration. Or, if you're like me and Bad with AC spread you can swap to a LBX-20 which works well because as a SCR you can hang back and focus open targets.

I tried that first, but I have to swap a ton of ammo for another heatsink and even then it overheats preeeetty quickly. It worked ok, but with the small pulse lasers, you run up to them, alpha twice for 140 damage and they just die. Ideally, I'm shooting them in the back, but the front seems to work, too, if they stop torso twisting long enough to try to shoot back. Maybe it only works against the bads I'm playing against, but it's pretty funny.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
I present to you, "the little brother."

Artemis on the 3 SRM4 might be a waste ( I could get more heatsinks without it ) but it goes 87kph with speed tweak. It cranks out a poo poo ton of damage fast though. Good mech to run behind a line breaker, then jump out and brawl once they start focusing the breaker.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=83&l=15a569721458bcf7290438faf71b8267295a1b3f

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
I'd probably move some more armor to the back and play a few games with and without artemis.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Oh man the CTF-0XP is the 'mech I've always wanted but didn't know until now

STD 300, AC/20, 5 tons ammo, 4 medium lasers, ECM

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

One of the saddest things as a pubbie dad is when you push and your children go "NO! WE WANT TO SNIPE!" :smith:

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Accepting that pubbies will always disappoint you is the key to finding happiness.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Super 3 posted:

I'd probably move some more armor to the back and play a few games with and without artemis.

Yeah it's by no means an optimal brawler, but I figured I'd have some fun. I pull in about 500-600 damage a game. I put the MPL range module and don't go in unless I know I can 1v1 or brawl in a group. I haven't had a problem with the back armor. I know my battle space situational awareness from all that hunchback grinding. I could bump it up to 10. Good thing the QKD can torso burn like a mofo with those fat arms.

Endbuster fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 21, 2016

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Are MGs still considered to be useful for chewing up unarmored sections? I know they used to be a popular choice but lately I don't see them so much.

I mainly ask because I have a Huginn and am pondering whether I should keep the MGs or just cram in more SRM-related stuff.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Endbuster posted:

I present to you, "the little brother."

Artemis on the 3 SRM4 might be a waste ( I could get more heatsinks without it ) but it goes 87kph with speed tweak. It cranks out a poo poo ton of damage fast though. Good mech to run behind a line breaker, then jump out and brawl once they start focusing the breaker.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=83&l=15a569721458bcf7290438faf71b8267295a1b3f

I might switch out the MPLs for MLs and put in a bigger engine like so:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=83&l=f44001ef83dc64ae84901a25089ca3fd572ad80d

Same rough DPS, slightly lower alpha and you can scoot and shoot a lot faster. The longer beam length does mean that you need a bit more face time though so it might not be worth the tradeoff.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I'm pretty convinced PGI let the Alpine designer work on Polar, and he intentionally designed it so that everyone would just rather have Alpine back because it is literally that bad.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Supraluminal posted:

Are MGs still considered to be useful for chewing up unarmored sections? I know they used to be a popular choice but lately I don't see them so much.

I mainly ask because I have a Huginn and am pondering whether I should keep the MGs or just cram in more SRM-related stuff.

MG are pretty much purely for gimmick mechs. Like the 6mg King Crab.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

veedubfreak posted:

MG are pretty much purely for gimmick mechs. Like the 6mg King Crab.

What changed to make them less useful?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Machineguns have a pretty legit place on certain mechs, like the Ember.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

DancingShade posted:

lamo

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
So the problem with the Scat isn't the hitboxes. Well, it is, but it's also the limited pod space, horrible omnipods, and the general fact that apparently PGI designed this mech to troll anyone who thought the Stormcrow in any way representative of the average Clan medium.

In short, like most Mechs in MWO, it is a literal piece of useless poo poo.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

So the problem with the Scat isn't the hitboxes. Well, it is, but it's also the limited pod space, horrible omnipods, and the general fact that apparently PGI designed this mech to troll anyone who thought the Stormcrow in any way representative of the average Clan medium.

DancingShade posted:

Which itself has a niche carved out within bad pubbie build teams.

vvvvv edit and quote are not the same button :shrug:

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Are Centurions worth it even at the sale price? Looking for a new medium to work on. I have the HBK-4SP which is one of my favorite brawlers, should I just get more hunchbacks and elite them? What I'm saying is, tell me of an IS Medium to buy goons.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Stringbean posted:

Are Centurions worth it even at the sale price? Looking for a new medium to work on. I have the HBK-4SP which is one of my favorite brawlers, should I just get more hunchbacks and elite them? What I'm saying is, tell me of an IS Medium to buy goons.

Griffins and Blackjacks are in really good places. Griffin-3M and -2N are great brawlers, Blackjack-1X and -3 are great mid-range laservom mechs

But also the other Hunchbacks are good. -4G is a great AC/20 carrier, and -4P can do lots of lasers

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Stringbean posted:

The hunchback is def not the best medium platform. The griffin and blackjack are superior, but lemme tell you man, the 4P and the 4J are super gimmicky fun. I mastered hunchies and my 4J with the 10 LRM cool down module and Fast Fire perk plus quirks has about a 65 percent decreased LRM10 cool down. Lemme put it this way, there aren't enough heatsinks to keep it from overheating it shits out missiles so fast. I bring around 1200 missiles to the fight and still run out of ammo. If you min max it 700 damage is the norm for a game. Once your missiles are all fired you can still TAG mechs and run around shooting 3 ML out of your secret third nipple before going down in a blaze of glory.

The 4P was built to shoot a bazillion medium lasers. I put 9 on mine and chain fire 6 while shooting the other 3 when they are off cool down. Green drill. Range module makes it impressive support.

Both of these mechs are made of paper though, so if you within 150m of your target you are most likely dead.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
I'm not really feeling the hate for the new map, its alittle rough if you're 100% into brawling but its no poo poo mountain like alpine. Feels alittle too large, could be alright if it was 10-15% smaller.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

ZenVulgarity posted:

One of the saddest things as a pubbie dad is when you push and your children go "NO! WE WANT TO SNIPE!" :smith:

gently caress you, you're not my real ghost dad!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Being able to hit stuff past 270 meters is pretty cool. You should try it some time.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Stringbean posted:

I'll also endorse eliting Hunchbacks. The 4J is probably the best mech for when you get that guilty hankering to LRM. I really like that with the Tag and 3-4 ML, you can actually kinda contribute to brawls too as long as you keep around 200m from whatever you're making GBS threads missiles on. The AC/20 G is also great if you don't have another platform for the most satisfying weapon in WMO.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

Being able to hit stuff past 270 meters is pretty cool. You should try it some time.

Well duh that's what SRM range modules are for

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
The 4G with an AC20 is sodding hilarious and surprisingly good.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Vorenus posted:

On the other hand, 2 cLPLs on an extremely mobile platform with ECM can swing games.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

apostateCourier posted:

On the other hand, 2 cLPLs on an extremely mobile platform with ECM can swing games.

I'm not saying the SHC is good exactly, but the mobility really does help -- you can reposition very quickly if you get spotted, and the ninety or however many jump jets it carries let you attack from weird angles

if you make one mistake you are Boned, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight

A.o.D. posted:

:lol: Look at this guy, using normal medium lasers instead of pulse lasers. This new map has completely killed the love I was feeling for the game again; of course I also had the poor timing to pick up and want to elite a Thunderbolt 5SS right when it dropped. All medium pulse lasers on a relatively large target is not a fun thing on that map :(

At least my Direwolf is still cool and good on every map, I think it's just about the only mech I have that's payed for itself. I've also racked up 60k exp on it already that I'll probably never get to spend because gently caress paying 35 million Cbills for two inferior center torsos.

Heck, the only mech I've used more I think is my Hunchback 4SP, that thing used to be such a little monster. It paid for itself, my 4P, my Stalker, and my Ghost Dad way back when. Dang, little mech was a loving earner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I went with the GRF-2N. I'm so glad I did.

e: The ECM kinda sold it for me, plus being able to slap 4x SRM4+A on it. Sneaking up on LRMBoats has never been so satisfying.

Stringbean fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 21, 2016

• Locked thread