Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Safety Dance posted:

People from snowy places always ask this moronic question.

DC is a mid-atlantic territory. It sees, on average, 15" of snow in a year. That little snowfall doesn't warrant winter tires. The infrastructure isn't set up to handle major snow events, especially when roads get wet, then freeze, then snow falls on that. Sometimes regions see unusually bad weather, and people are unprepared for it despite the fact that people elsewhere in the world are used to weather like that.

In summary, get hosed.

In summary, if you can't bother to equip your car for conditions, you shouldn't drive and put other people at risk. I don't give a gently caress what your normal weather is like. Roads in Calgary are clear and dry 80-90% of the winter because we don't get that much snow, and we get chinook winds that will boost the temperature to 10-15C several times per winter, but I sure as poo poo put decent winter tires on my car anyway. Better I have to replace my tires a bit sooner than my whole car because I didn't equip it properly and wrecked it as a result.

EDIT: Perhaps that's a little bit harsh, but if you're living in a place that does go below freezing and does receive snow on a regular basis, you should at least be running a good all-weather tire with a compound that will function well at low temperatures and on snow, like the Nokian WRG3.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Protocol7 posted:

Yeah I've slid out twice in the past two weeks going like 10mph just because the road leading out of my apartment complex has great shade and is always covered in ice.

Cheap chinese all-seasons too because I can't justify putting better poo poo on a 21 year old Honda.

It doesn't really matter how I tackle the ice, the road has a slight curve and whenever you start to follow it you just keep going the direction of your momentum.

Sure you can. I'll drive a lot of abominable hoopties, but tires, brakes, and steering are critical safety items and MUST be suitable for driving given whatever conditions you are experiencing, or someone is going to get hurt eventually.

I'm going to guess it's a Civic, and further, that the stock tire size is 175/70R13. Get a craigslist set of 14s for it, some prestudded Firestone Winterforces (size 175/65R14 used as my example) for $310 plus shipping, and you are probably out the door for around 400 bucks... except now you'll not be a hazard on the road, and will even have a chance of stopping or turning on that ice.

Or just keep sliding around on your chinese ditchfinders because "you can't justify good tires for a shitbox", I just hope the squishy human in that shitbox or whatever you crash into doesn't get hurt in the process.

I might be insane by your standards but I've got $500 worth of studded winter tires on my $300 Forester that I hate. Why? Because it keeps me alive. gently caress the car, I don't want to die today.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

driving without winter tires after the first snowfall should be a felony punishable by immediate vehicle and license impoundment, imo.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
nah, that's too harsh, we should just sentence non winter tire owners to use only beOS and amigas for the rest of their lives

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But BeOS and Amiga computers own. :qq:

I mean, using 20 year old hardware would blow today, but in their day they were really cool machines.

I still have BeOS install CD in a box somewhere.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I would be ok with mandatory winter tires. If nothing else, prohibit non-winter tire drivers from driving while there is a snow advisory or warning in effect, and fine them if they do drive.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It would be unenforceable unless tires were marked in a way that an officer could identify what the rubber is with a glance. Which means you'd then need laws prohibiting falsifying tire markings, certifications from tire manufacturers, and suddenly we have a bunch of new useless laws on the books burdening us all with even more red tape.

It'd be far more effective to penalize accidents much more harshly and implement some real licensing requirements.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Well if everyone is going to be required to have a stack of 4 tires in their apartment year-round I'm going to start an Etsy page for quilted tire cozies.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
The mountain passes here can be declared snow tire or chain only if conditions warrant, there's obviously some sort of mechanism for checking the tires aside from "are there studs".

I have never regretted dropping the $200 on a set of used snow tires as soon as I could afford it.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I wouldn't wish a >105F and >95% humidity day on anyone, but it would be interesting to see how a northerner handles it. I still go cycling in that kind of heat, and that makes lots of other locals look at me like I'm crazy. How many northerners would get stuck to the softened asphalt?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

davebo posted:

Well if everyone is going to be required to have a stack of 4 tires in their apartment year-round I'm going to start an Etsy page for quilted tire cozies.

Looks like a market that's waiting to be exploited

https://www.etsy.com/listing/210857518/spare-tire-cozy

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

EightBit posted:

I wouldn't wish a >105F and >95% humidity day on anyone, but it would be interesting to see how a northerner handles it. I still go cycling in that kind of heat, and that makes lots of other locals look at me like I'm crazy. How many northerners would get stuck to the softened asphalt?

I've worked in the pit of a quicklube under hot cars in that. Some of them came straight off the interstate to get their oil changed, basically.

In long sleeves and long pants. It sucked.

e: oh, and I didn't have my license (I didn't care about cars one single bit till I was like 22) so I got to bike home again afterward. Feels more like swimming through pudding than biking.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

It would be unenforceable unless tires were marked in a way that an officer could identify what the rubber is with a glance. Which means you'd then need laws prohibiting falsifying tire markings, certifications from tire manufacturers, and suddenly we have a bunch of new useless laws on the books burdening us all with even more red tape.

It's almost like tire markings should be standardized...

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
a pillar of the local motorcycle community has passed because he ran from the cops and ate the side of a pickup. apparently people are supposed to be heartbroken over this. these are the people i no longer share the road with.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

Well I was thinking more like paint markings, like what F1 does with their tires.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Safety Dance posted:

People from snowy places always ask this moronic question.

DC is a mid-atlantic territory. It sees, on average, 15" of snow in a year. That little snowfall doesn't warrant winter tires. The infrastructure isn't set up to handle major snow events, especially when roads get wet, then freeze, then snow falls on that. Sometimes regions see unusually bad weather, and people are unprepared for it despite the fact that people elsewhere in the world are used to weather like that.

In summary, get hosed.

What are the average temperatures during winter? Summer tires are going to suck if it gets too cold. All season tires always suck. Where I live, snow tires are required by law from november - march, and we usually see temperatures ranging from -5 to +5 celsius. More days without snow on the roads than not.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

kastein posted:

Sure you can. I'll drive a lot of abominable hoopties, but tires, brakes, and steering are critical safety items and MUST be suitable for driving given whatever conditions you are experiencing, or someone is going to get hurt eventually.

I'm going to guess it's a Civic, and further, that the stock tire size is 175/70R13. Get a craigslist set of 14s for it, some prestudded Firestone Winterforces (size 175/65R14 used as my example) for $310 plus shipping, and you are probably out the door for around 400 bucks... except now you'll not be a hazard on the road, and will even have a chance of stopping or turning on that ice.

Or just keep sliding around on your chinese ditchfinders because "you can't justify good tires for a shitbox", I just hope the squishy human in that shitbox or whatever you crash into doesn't get hurt in the process.

I might be insane by your standards but I've got $500 worth of studded winter tires on my $300 Forester that I hate. Why? Because it keeps me alive. gently caress the car, I don't want to die today.

It's totally fine when there's snow, that's the thing. When mostly ice is involved it's a complete wash, but otherwise I'm comfortable enough with my winter driving skills. Never done anything worse than slowly and harmlessly skidding into a curb.

Also I have nowhere to put 4 extra tires, since yeah, apartment complex and all. Apparently there used to be places you could stash tires but I can't find any within reasonable distance to me.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

carry on then posted:

driving without winter tires after the first snowfall should be a felony punishable by immediate vehicle and license impoundment, imo.

We had a snowfall. Then a few weeks in the 60s, tapering down to a few weeks in the 50s and 40s, before it even thought about snowing again. Should it have been a felony to drive on all seasons in 60* sunny weather where half the motorcycles in the region were out?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

Well I was thinking more like paint markings, like what F1 does with their tires.

You'd never get the industry to buy into that on a wide-spread basis. At any rate, you could still make it enforceable today - it just wouldn't be something you could use as a primary reason to pull a car over.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Protocol7 posted:

Also I have nowhere to put 4 extra tires, since yeah, apartment complex and all. Apparently there used to be places you could stash tires but I can't find any within reasonable distance to me.

Marvel as your two stacks of two tires transforms into a lovely coffee table with a davebo brand Insta-Table with built-in cupholder*, available exclusively on Etsy!

*cupholder is hole where I removed the doorknob from an old door. Sourced from 100% abandoned Baltimore row houses. The kind they hid bodies in on The Wire!

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
/\/\/\/\ ffffffff

Protocol7 posted:

Also I have nowhere to put 4 extra tires, since yeah, apartment complex and all.

Stack them, plywood circle top, tasteful fabric cover, coffee table.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

go3 posted:

a pillar of the local motorcycle community has passed because he ran from the cops and ate the side of a pickup. apparently people are supposed to be heartbroken over this. these are the people i no longer share the road with.

I can't find the article right now, but there was a story a few years ago where a motorcycle rider died and all his buddies showed up to the wake/funeral. They proceeded to "honor" the deceased by going out and stunting outside of the funeral home. Inevitably, one of them ended up wrecking and killing himself.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Uthor posted:

I can't find the article right now, but there was a story a few years ago where a motorcycle rider died and all his buddies showed up to the wake/funeral. They proceeded to "honor" the deceased by going out and stunting outside of the funeral home. Inevitably, one of them ended up wrecking and killing himself.

Sounds like on a long enough timeline this is a problem that would eventually take care of itself.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

PCOS Bill posted:

We had a snowfall. Then a few weeks in the 60s, tapering down to a few weeks in the 50s and 40s, before it even thought about snowing again. Should it have been a felony to drive on all seasons in 60* sunny weather where half the motorcycles in the region were out?

This. I'd love to have winter tires on for the cold weather, but there are periods where I'd be changing my tires daily. There was a week last year with two days that topped out in the low teens, bookended by days in the fifties.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This. I'd love to have winter tires on for the cold weather, but there are periods where I'd be changing my tires daily. There was a week last year with two days that topped out in the low teens, bookended by days in the fifties.

Winter tires don't instantly start melting at 50 degrees.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
north texas had zero snow plows, until this happened.

I think the entire north texas area now has about seven.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Which is exactly the icon that needs to be on the tyre in Germany.

With it being the law that tyres unsuitable to the conditions mean that not only can you be fined (and barred from driving on without proper tyres), your third party liability insurance can refuse coverage, because you drove an unsafe vehicle.

The fine is reasonable at a few tenners. The liability for loving up just a guard rail in a single sided accident, is something like 750 euro per metre.

Which seems a perfectly reasonable way of dealing with it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Then you should be switching out your tires daily, or even hourly, if that's the case. This is part of the responsibility of owning and operating an automobile. It is a travesty that the obligation all drivers have towards the safety of others is not hammered into new drivers from the minute they decide they might like to get their learner's permit.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Also, you can get snow-rated all-seasons like the Nokian WRG3s I mentioned, and even full-on snow tires are still okay at higher temperatures, even if it's not optimal.

Don't gently caress around in winter. I don't want you to wreck my properly-equipped vehicle because you were too lazy or cheap to do things properly. Same thing applies to vehicles with unsecured loads. Your lack of planning shouldn't result in bad consequences for others.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

carry on then posted:

Then you should be switching out your tires daily, or even hourly, if that's the case. This is part of the responsibility of owning and operating an automobile. It is a travesty that the obligation all drivers have towards the safety of others is not hammered into new drivers from the minute they decide they might like to get their learner's permit.

I've changed my mind, I'd like you sentenced to using CP/M86 for the rest of your days

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
The all seasons on my 2014 Corolla are suitable for nearly everything in Portland year round.

That off chance it does snow or freeze over? I'm fine with not driving.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I've had all season tires that sucked really bad and slid everywhere (in a Subaru, no less) in wet/snow, and I've had all season tires that were really great and were very difficult to lose traction with. Read your tire reviews, buy the good ones, drive your car, and maintain safe speeds and distances between cars for the conditions. All season tires aren't a death sentence if you drive like a normal person.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Uthor posted:

a high school kid died the other year when he got thrown(no seatbelt!) from the pickup his friend was driving when they lost control doing about 90 on residential streets. naturally they had a big 'drive' in his honor and they had a 4 car wreck during it because high school kids are idiots.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
In the Atlanta Snowpocalypse of 2014, I took my wife to work and back in a '12 Hyundai Veloster with the stock Kumho tires. I did fine, but it was a low power, FWD, manual transmission car and I actually know how to drive on snow and ice. Even with a dog in my lap.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

I've had all season tires that sucked really bad and slid everywhere (in a Subaru, no less) in wet/snow, and I've had all season tires that were really great and were very difficult to lose traction with. Read your tire reviews, buy the good ones, drive your car, and maintain safe speeds and distances between cars for the conditions. All season tires aren't a death sentence if you drive like a normal person.

With an attitude like that you must be responsible for thousands of deaths. How dare you not pull over and slap some blizzaks on your car the instant a snowflake falls out of the clouds.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Everybody should be made to drive a base YJ Wrangler with BGF AT KO2s on it. The immense lack of power, lack of ABS, lack of traction control, and lack of creature comforts will weed out dangerous drivers in short order.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Everyone posting in this thread is literally Hitler.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
A guy with a dog in his lap/car rear-ended me today in traffic.

It was just a tap, but still. I got to pet his dog for a few minutes while he gave me his insurance info, so that was nice.

And not two minutes before that an unmarked police cruiser nearly broadsided me twice trying to merge across a solid white line and then again when I was fully next to him on a dotted line, got behind me, and lit me up. The second I got out of his way he spun his tires to get around me and get away ASAP, lights and siren blaring, for about as long as it took for him to get a few lanes over and to his exit.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

kastein posted:

I've changed my mind, I'd like you sentenced to using CP/M86 for the rest of your days

CP/M is a standard. He should be made to use AMOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

IOwnCalculus posted:

Everyone posting in this thread is literally Hitler.

Nope, not going there LOL

I'm the only one who knows how to drive :colbert: