Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

This is like the positive blurbs in a commercial for a movie with 6% on Rotten Tomatoes

Alternately:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

okay macklemore man, i won't do it again

1. fyad bought me this
2. i'm not the only giant macklemore man in this thread

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Montasque posted:

NWS:
http://i.imgur.com/v6uBaus.jpg?1

Yes, That's Donald Jr. holding a severed elephant tail.

Yuge glorious Macklemore head checking in here.

Looking back on this... Maybe Trump really isn't a proud clinger after all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qlFK-4uKy8

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
OH poo poo HE'S UNLEASHED CHANG!!

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Has this been discussed?

https://twitter.com/TimAlberta/status/690320277415301120

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/21/politics/national-review-magazine-opposes-donald-trump/index.html

quote:

National Review, the conservative magazine founded by William F. Buckley, will publish a special issue on Friday opposing Donald Trump's bid for the presidency, according to a source with knowledge of the issue's contents.

The issue will feature a blistering editorial that labels Trump a threat to conservatism, as well as essays by 22 prominent conservative thinkers from various ideological factions, in opposition to Trump's candidacy, the source said.

"Donald Trump is a menace to American conservatism who would take the work of generations and trample it underfoot on behalf of a populism as heedless and crude as The Donald himself," the editorial states. ...

Rich Lowry, the editor of National Review, spent weeks reaching out to fellow conservatives, ranging from The Weekly Standard's William Kristol to RedState's Erick Erickson, to commission essays for the issue.

Can Big Establishment Conservative Media stump the Trump?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
22 conservative thinkers eh, sounds riveting

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

nachos posted:

This is folks, this is it. This is the moment they finally stop Trump!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

nachos posted:

Yeah but I'm pretty sure you'd need 88 to reach Trump's base

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
How much of that will actually be interesting and provocative commentary and journalism and not just "poo poo him dumb golden hair"? Every time I try to read their cover stories, my eyes kind of glaze over because of all of the "BUY GOLD AND STOCK GUNS" advertisements.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

I'm confident that each of those 22 intellectuals will also tell us who they endorse instead of Trump, and why.

It's not like they're worthless pundit cowards whose careers are looking pretty shaky right now.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If NR raises the ire of Trump and gets obliterated by him as a result I'll never stop praising Trump for his public service

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

okay, relax, i'll stop

I dunno, I laughed. Shine on you crazy diamond.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Riosan posted:

How much of that will actually be interesting and provocative commentary and journalism and not just "poo poo him dumb golden hair"? Every time I try to read their cover stories, my eyes kind of glaze over because of all of the "BUY GOLD AND STOCK GUNS" advertisements.

It'll be all "sixty years ago the founder of this illustrious publication argued that the John Birch Society should be kicked out of the conservative movement because its kookiness threatened the credibility of the greater movement. Today we have assumed this great mantle..."

And no one will get the reference and no one will care.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Rand Paul, much like his dad, sounds okay if you listen to him for 59 seconds or less. Anything more and you run the risk of him following up with "and we should abolish every federal department and revert our currency back to the gold standard" as punctuation.

It's the reverse for Donald Trump, the longer people listen to him the more they like him

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

BGrifter posted:

I dunno, I laughed. Shine on you crazy diamond.

please do not encourage unhealthy and unfunny behaviour

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
I just put Levin back on and he sounds unhinged.

I think he's drunk.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Oh Fiorina

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

It's the reverse for Donald Trump, the longer people listen to him the more they like him

I actually can't listen to him for more than a minute without rolling my eyes and hitting my Trump limit. He just mumbles the same crazy, incoherent stuff over and over and has all the charm of the Grinch

That said, I'd listen to Trump for 72 hours straight if it meant I never had to hear Cruz utter a word for the rest of this cycle

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

conservative thinkers, that sounds potentially interesting, I guess I'll want to at least hear them ouranging from The Weekly Standard's William Kristol to RedState's Erick Erickson okay nevermind

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Joementum posted:

I said the other day that the Palin endorsement signals a possible acceptability of a Trump nomination in certain party actors, meaning the chance was above zero but very small.

I'm confident in my prediction that he won't be able to turn out his support and that a consolidation of the field post IA/NH will lead to his downfall on Super Tuesday.

I mean no offense. You're a smart guy. But...

Joementum posted:

With Trump actually running, I think it's very unlikely that we make it to August 6 with the Fox News debate rules intact.

Joementum posted:

If he really, really wanted to, Trump could pour millions into an uncontested early primary or caucus and maybe win it. Like, it's not absurd to think he could buy the vote in the Virgin Islands or Alaska. But that would be a tacit admission that his candidacy is a joke and require strategic thinking on his part, neither of which are possibilities. He can self-fund his campaign as long as he wants, and if he does he'll pick up a delegate or two in the states that award them proportionally with no viability threshold. Much more likely is that he stays in for a couple of debates and then quits to be on the next season of The Apprentice in the fall.

edit: All of that assumes that Trump actually bothers to get on any of the ballots, which requires actual organization and effort.

quote:

="Joementum" post="446985030"]
Nope.

Joementum posted:

:lol: if you think he has anything resembling an actual campaign apparatus.

Joementum posted:

For what it's worth (probably not much) Trump has said he's going to file his finances and won't need either of the 45 day extensions.

Joementum posted:

The "not-Romney" bounces were cycles of a candidate having a nice media event (Cain winning the FL straw poll, Bachmann winning the IA straw poll, Gingrich being snarky in a debate, Santorum surging in a flawed CNN poll) followed by a couple weeks of them surging in the polls, which led to media scrutiny and occasionally negative advertising from Romney, which led to their downfall. This is well described in the chapter on the GOP nomination from The Gamble.

Trump's "surge" will be different because there's no need for media scrutiny. Unlike Rick Santorum, everyone in America already knows who Donald Trump is and has a pretty good idea of his political agenda (brown people, he's against 'em!). He'll be more like Ron Paul: a fringe candidate with a ceiling of support somewhere around 10% who draws a cult following and gets more exposure than he deserves because of it. The frontrunners would be wise to form the same secret non-aggression pact with him that Romney did with the Pauls.

Joementum posted:

Prediction: Bernie Sanders will have more pledged delegates than Donald Trump.

Joementum posted:

Bernie could get one delegate and it would still be true.

Joementum posted:

Nah, he'll burn out as we get closer to Iowa. He's not going to put together any sort of actual organization, or if he does he'll just fire them all a week later. Once we're in November through January the campaigns will start going live with TV ads in the early primary state and round up people to knock on doors and sign caucus pledge cards. Some of the candidates will winnow out at that point; Lindsey Graham and George Pataki will run out of cash and either drop out or just show up for debates, if they can even get invited. As the field narrows, Trump won't be able to break his ceiling of ~25% of the base and the Bush / Walker / Rubio triumvirate* will start to crowd out the other candidates.

* Possible, but far less likely, that Paul, Huckabee, Perry, or Christie catch on and bump themselves up into that group.

Why would you have confidence in any prediction you make? Everything you predicted before has either been disproven or it looks very shaky now, so close to Iowa.

I have no idea what course the race will take, even if it has a conventional ending. I used to think Trump had zero or close to zero chance of getting the nomination. Now I know only one thing: that I know nothing about what's next for Trump. Jeb called him the chaos candidate. He was right.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

as bad as slate and salon are, the amount of conservative boilerplate these 'thinkers' have to shove in their articles to prove their bona fides is so dumb and unreadable

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Afraid of Audio posted:

please do not encourage unhealthy and unfunny behaviour

If you don't see the humour in someone obsessed with Presidential candidates teeth and posting photographic evidence of minor imperfections in them like Pete Carroll distributing copies of Loose Change I think you need to step away from the internet and recalibrate your funny meter.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

until his poll numbers start to lag and he says something horrifying again

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

$10 says he's wearing khaki shorts

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Montasque posted:

NWS:
http://i.imgur.com/v6uBaus.jpg?1

Yes, That's Donald Jr. holding a severed elephant tail.

How small was that elephant, those legs are tiny

okay, relax, i'll stop

please ignore those weird assholes and keep posting the teeth. i never knew dentistry was so controversial

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

William Bear posted:

Why would you have confidence in any prediction you make? Everything you predicted before has either been disproven or it looks very shaky now, so close to Iowa.

I have no idea what course the race will take, even if it has a conventional ending. I used to think Trump had zero or close to zero chance of getting the nomination. Now I know only one thing: that I know nothing about what's next for Trump. Jeb called him the chaos candidate. He was right.

take a deep breath, Jebra

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Let the uppances come. Joementum was Harry Enten all along.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

babypolis posted:

until his poll numbers start to lag and he says something horrifying again

...every single time this has happened before, his polls numbers ratcheted back up

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

William Bear posted:

It's hilarious that people go out of their way to ask Joementum his opinion on the election- which is what his responses are that you quoted- and then proceed to try and "prove him wrong" relentlessly like they've got something to prove.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

OK that was harsh.

ScumLord69
Jun 3, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

Wouldn't the 'storm trooper website' be Stormfront?

Donald Trump has the coveted Daily Stormer endorsement. http://www.dailystormer.com/filthy-jew-mark-levin-attacks-glorious-leader/.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

William Bear posted:

I am not seeing a lot of quotations that have predictions in them, mr joemenum stalker

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Mitt Romney posted:

It's hilarious that people go out of their way to ask Joementum his opinion on the election- which is what his responses are that you quoted- and then proceed to try and "prove him wrong" relentlessly like they've got something to prove.

Yeah joe never asked to be the thread guru, and it's funny everyone asks him every page what he thinks about TRUMPS CHANCES considering we should all pretty well know by now the way he seems to analyze this race. He's been roped into answering so much and he's pretty well read on this stuff and now everyone thinks he's infallible or something.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Look at this dumb mother fucker, updating his theories as the situation changes

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

William Bear posted:

Half the things you quoted are arguably still good predictions.

Admittedly, I didn't think he'd actually file his paperwork, which wasn't so crazy given the number of times in the past he'd trolled the media with speculation he'd run. Once he did, I said he'd either get bored, people would get bored of him, or he'd fall down when voting and winnowing starts. If you want to prove that prediction wrong, you'll have to wait until voting starts!

Related: I've said before I also failed to predict that the evangelicals would pick Cruz and, as a result, rated his chances too low early on. But I don't think anyone predicted the evangelicals would pick Cruz.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Let the warp take you. Blood for the Blood God. Skulls for the Skull Throne

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Joementum posted:

Admittedly, I didn't think he'd actually file his paperwork, which wasn't so crazy given the number of times in the past he'd trolled the media with speculation he'd run. Once he did, I said he'd either get bored, people would get bored of him, or he'd fall down when voting and winnowing starts. If you want to prove that prediction wrong, you'll have to wait until voting starts!

Related: I've said before I also failed to predict that the evangelicals would pick Cruz and, as a result, rated his chances too low early on. But I don't think anyone predicted the evangelicals would pick Cruz.

You are a Good Poster and say smart things.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

This is that Simpsons gif where Ralph's heart breaks and homer replays the tape, but Ralph's heart is old school conservatism and homer is trump.

Conservatism is dead. Trumpian Nationalism is the new right party.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Joementum posted:

I did!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Joementum posted:

I did :smuggo:

Well, I predicted Cruz would pick up all of the ones that flocked to Carson once he flamed out

• Locked thread