Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Archer666 posted:

Or they just wanted to make an attractive protagonist. Which is a common trend in pretty much every form of visual media: The good looking, perfectly proportioned person is usually the hero while bad guys have some kind of imperfection or are ugly/sinister looking in a way.

I dunno I haven't seen many images where attractive guys have their bodies contorted in freakish ways in order to show off their rear end and chiseled manboobs at the same time.

I mean poo poo even pure and holy priests often dress like strippers in games

Jimbot posted:

This video is a really good breakdown of the side quest flexibility of Fallout: New Vegas. It really shows how much of a step backwards Fallout 4 was in terms of variety and how absolutely limiting your options were in that game (three ways to say yes and one way to get more caps).

This video reminded me why Bethesda RPGs are actually pretty good despite their bad combat and why Fallout 4 is struggling to keep my attention despite its good combat.

Augus fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Augus posted:

This video reminded me why Bethesda RPGs are actually pretty good despite their bad combat and why Fallout 4 is struggling to keep my attention despite its good combat.

New Vegas was done by Obsidian so it was sort of helmed by the team who did Fallout 1 and 2.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

Infamous Sphere posted:

Probably one of the most fun examples of this is Simon Fransman's Jam of the Week series, where he combines electronic light jazz with horrific cgi glitchpeople.

This is excellent; thank you for sharing this.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

PassTheRemote posted:

May 19, 2017, save the date. What I really want is a two hour movie of Dwayne Johnson and Mitch trying to get the most saves.

Hey, Lupa-- how about you start a Kickstarter now? The goal is to buy out an entire showing's worth of tickets (or arrange a private screening) of the movie, and do a live riffing of it.

Stretch goals will be to fly in extra reviewers.

Backers get a "free" ticket to the show (while supplies last, must arrange own transport).

Now that I've typed that, I'm only half joking. I would pay good monies for the audio for this. People could take the audio with them on an iPod to a showing of the movie.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I suddenly remember I only visit this thread for Baywatching and BHH, thanks guys.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Thanks for that Fallout video. I was looking for something else to reaffirm my love for New Vegas like the TUN video from a couple years ago, with an argument that doesn't boil down to "what do they eat?"

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
At what point did Baywatch become the highest-rated show, or such an international hit? Or was it all so gradual that it took a while to notice?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Tracula posted:

And you mention DLC on PC but uh. You sure things are any more reasonable on there?

...Yes? Most games and their DLC get hilariously cheap on PC thanks to regular Steam/Amazon/other digital distributor sales. That's not to say that PC games are immune to bullshit pricing schemes, but it's still a cut above and one of the reasons why I largely dropped console gaming to begin with.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 22, 2016

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

OldMemes posted:

EDIT: According to an article I dug up, ITV (the second main broadcaster in the country) decided to help co-fund the show after it got cancelled. Though they don't state if that's the season one cancellation, or the Baywatch Hawaii reshuffle?

Gregory Alan Williams seems like the best thing in the show - ironically he's in Terminator Genysis, and Paramount have just announced that the sequel to that has been shelved, and its release date given to....the Baywatch film!

Gregory Alan Williams is probably the best actor to come from the show. He plays Garner goofy af, but he's got a surprising range when you see him in other stuff. Also, in Baywatch Nights he hilariously shortened his named to Gregalan Williams.

I don't know about the ITV thing at all, but if I had to guess I would think maybe you're right about it happening during the Hawaii reshuffle. They were originally going to film in Australia and got booted out last minute, so maybe they needed another save. I think after NBC they got most of their funding from product placement and such.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Never stop doing Baywatching.

I'm hopeful for the upcoming movie: if it's half as stupid as the show, it should be fun times.

It might be my favorite project ever, I love doing Baywatching! I hope the movie is fun too!

Infamous Sphere posted:

Just as an aside note - why *do* Germans love David Hasselhoff? I can understand why Brits love Neighbours, or Americans love Steve Irwin, although I can't say I care for either of those things, but what was it about Hasselhoff? Apparently he played at the Berlin Wall in 1989...

Uh yeah, and he single-handedly brought down the Berlin wall through the power of music.

I've not really done any research into the Germany/Hasselhoff phenomenon, which might be a fun project to do, but I think it's important to remember that there was a time when David Hasselhoff wasn't a joke. Sure he was cheesy as hell, but it was the 80s, and he could perform and he had energy and charm. And him being there singing as they brought down the wall was a big part of history, especially for Germany of course, so I would think that would make him an icon there. Plus, y'know, his jacket blinked and his scarf was piano keys.

lornekates posted:

Hey, Lupa-- how about you start a Kickstarter now? The goal is to buy out an entire showing's worth of tickets (or arrange a private screening) of the movie, and do a live riffing of it.

Stretch goals will be to fly in extra reviewers.

Backers get a "free" ticket to the show (while supplies last, must arrange own transport).

Now that I've typed that, I'm only half joking. I would pay good monies for the audio for this. People could take the audio with them on an iPod to a showing of the movie.

That's an amazzzzzing idea man, no lie.

Keromaru5 posted:

At what point did Baywatch become the highest-rated show, or such an international hit? Or was it all so gradual that it took a while to notice?

Once it went to syndication, it aired on several channels at once and reached more people. Once Pamela Anderson joined the cast, they upped the sex appeal and that garnered viewers too. Add to that the marketability of the "ideal" American escapism with stories that are easy to translate, and you got international appeal!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Thanks for that Fallout video. I was looking for something else to reaffirm my love for New Vegas like the TUN video from a couple years ago, with an argument that doesn't boil down to "what do they eat?"

His was coming from more of a setting and verisimilitude point-of-view. That guy puts a lot of stock into world building and if the world isn't believable then he can't really get into the game. Some people just pick up on the details like that and it bothers them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Miss Wallace posted:

It was the most watched show in the world, so it was kind of hard to escape for a decade, but yeah it doesn't get a lot of reruns. Only time I could ever recall seeing it on TV in recent times was when they were doing the David Hasselhoff Roast on Comedy Central and it was being aired ironically.

I'm always curious about stuff like that. You look at shows like NYPD Blue, L.A. Law, thirtysomething, Picket Fences and so on; all of those David E. Kelley and Steven R. Bochco cop and lawyer dramas; they were all perennial "Best Drama" contenders - NYPD Blue even had a 12-year run and lasted into the 21st century - in the years before the award was basically monopolised for half a decade by The West Wing and The Sopranos, but they just didn't make a lasting impact.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm always curious about stuff like that. You look at shows like NYPD Blue, L.A. Law, thirtysomething, Picket Fences and so on; all of those David E. Kelley and Steven R. Bochco cop and lawyer dramas; they were all perennial "Best Drama" contenders - NYPD Blue even had a 12-year run and lasted into the 21st century - in the years before the award was basically monopolised for half a decade by The West Wing and The Sopranos, but they just didn't make a lasting impact.

Dennis Franz' rear end made impact around the world brother

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jimbot posted:

His was coming from more of a setting and verisimilitude point-of-view. That guy puts a lot of stock into world building and if the world isn't believable then he can't really get into the game. Some people just pick up on the details like that and it bothers them.

Oh I know. I'm in full agreement with MrBtongue's argument. I just get annoyed that people boil it down to the food question whenever they bring it up, when he only used that as one example.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Infamous Sphere posted:

Just as an aside note - why *do* Germans love David Hasselhoff? I can understand why Brits love Neighbours, or Americans love Steve Irwin, although I can't say I care for either of those things, but what was it about Hasselhoff? Apparently he played at the Berlin Wall in 1989...

It was his ridiculous music that made him famous there, right? Or was it before that? I guess his songs do sound kind of similar to traditional German music, all brassy and bass-y and bold and soforth.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Don't know if this is the thread for this, but I would really like to recommend the Bald Move family of TV podcasts. They have pretty great podcasts covering some of the more recent tv shows, including leftovers, game of thrones, walking dead, etc.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Miss Wallace posted:

I've not really done any research into the Germany/Hasselhoff phenomenon, which might be a fun project to do

It is worth chatting to a few German goons about this and getting stuff translated. I lived in Germany for a while and whenever I mentioned DH to Germans they groaned and smiled*, as DH represents cheesy pop culture 90-95. But he was genuinely popular (esp. in West Germany) during that period and every German over 30/35 knows who he is. Baywatch was bigger in the UK than DH was, his music didn't really appeal to the UK. I'd guess 60% or fewer Brits of the same age would know DH. So, although Baywatch was smaller in Germany, DH as a cultural figure is larger in Germany (compared to the UK, I don't know US well enough to compare).

* I was mentioning him specifically to get that reaction, not because I have any interest in DH, I hasten to add.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
Yeah, the impression I get is that nowadays it's more of a broad stereotype than a truth, kind of like how Baywatch was huge in the 90s but now it's more of a joke.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Yeah I used to tease my German friends and acquaintances about Hasselmania, the older ones were actually ashamed and downplayed it. My friends who were my age denied it straight away, as if it never happened. My favourite response was from a guy from Cologne who denied that Hasselhoff was ever popular in Germany, but then sang a bit of one of his songs, thus giving himself away.

Hasselhoff's appeal in West Germany was mainly musical from what I gathered, they all acknowledged his music career but never mentioned Baywatch, some mentioned Kinght Rider though. And I'm certain I've seen footage of Hasselhoff singing a duet with KIT on stage somewhere before.

One of my mates who said they think Hassel's popularity was that the European music scene was full of weird foreign language (usually English, and usually as a second language) acts and Hassel kept singing about Freedom which was a big thing in Central Europe in the 80's.

This was also around the same time that acts like Gazebo in Italy were finding an audience, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe2Y9BYE4fU

Basically the European music scene was very weird in those days, so much so that Hoff would have no problem fitting in.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Hasselhoff is crowdfunding a new album, and for only $107, we could get him to record a video opening for Baywatching.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Baywatch was bigger in the UK than DH was, his music didn't really appeal to the UK. I'd guess 60% or fewer Brits of the same age would know DH.

There was a brief window a few years ago when he was a judge on Britain's Got Talent. Around that time, he did a show in Belfast at my university's student union (I, of course, did not go).

It's honestly surprising to me that Hasslhoff didn't have that one big novelty hit in the UK in the 1990s, around the same time we sent Lindisfarne ft. Paul Gascoigne to the top of the charts.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Hey, would this be the place to talk about Team Four Star's stuff? The don't really have a thread of their own.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

BigRed0427 posted:

Hey, would this be the place to talk about Team Four Star's stuff? The don't really have a thread of their own.

The DBZ thread in the forum formerly known as ADTRW is where I most often see it discussed.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Mr. Fowl posted:

The DBZ thread in the forum formerly known as ADTRW is where I most often see it discussed.

They can be some real sadsacks about TFS stuff though, especially when it isn't DBZA.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

They can be some real sadsacks about TFS stuff though, especially when it isn't DBZA.

Ehhh their lets plays are the only thing that isn't particularly good. Maybe the FF7 series as well if they had kept it at the same quality as the first episode, but it's actually amazing how drastically that improved as the series went on.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Asuron posted:

Ehhh their lets plays are the only thing that isn't particularly good. Maybe the FF7 series as well if they had kept it at the same quality as the first episode, but it's actually amazing how drastically that improved as the series went on.

I got up to episode 8 and still didn't really like FF7MA
Unless 9 is actually the big turning in which case :shrug:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If we're going to bring up general internet comedy video stuff, apparently Bill from Loading Read Run passed away a few days ago due to Huntingdon's Disease :ohdear:.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If we're going to bring up general internet comedy video stuff, apparently Bill from Loading Read Run passed away a few days ago due to Huntingdon's Disease :ohdear:.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well bugger. That's not gonna make the next Desert Bus marathon very much fun. :smith:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Speaking of Desert Bus on a happier note...
https://youtu.be/fQU3Auu1w5Y

I don't agree with most of their politics but that's supremely awesome they're gonna do a Desert Bus 2 explicitly for charity.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Tracula posted:

Speaking of Desert Bus on a happier note...
https://youtu.be/fQU3Auu1w5Y

I don't agree with most of their politics but that's supremely awesome they're gonna do a Desert Bus 2 explicitly for charity.
Huh aren't uber libertarians against charity since it goes against their whole ideology? I mean Penn is a guy who did a vlog about how great those Atlas Shrugged movies are

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

Huh aren't uber libertarians against charity since it goes against their whole ideology? I mean Penn is a guy who did a vlog about how great those Atlas Shrugged movies are

Yes but strangely enough apparently saying that charity is bad in all cases tends to make your ideology look like a bunch of selfish tools.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
They're odd guys in terms of politics and such. A few months ago I saw them live and one of their big things is that they'll stay after every single show they do and do pictures and autographs for every single fan for free. No exaggeration they'll wait until the last person leaves.

Hell. Funniest thing was after the show Teller was more talkative than Penn was but that might be because he hosed up his fire swallowing trick :v:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tracula posted:

They're odd guys in terms of politics and such. A few months ago I saw them live and one of their big things is that they'll stay after every single show they do and do pictures and autographs for every single fan for free. No exaggeration they'll wait until the last person leaves.

It's not exactly the same thing, but that reminds me of Steve Ditko. Dude could be rolling in millions from creating Spider-Man and Doctor Strange, among others, but the dude sticks to his objectivest principles really hard and lives a quiet anonymous life not doing anything big or even giving any interviews or public appearances. Unlike most randroids he's actually really moral and sticks to his guns.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
As far as I can tell, Penn and Teller's political philosophy comes from the fact that they're pretty cool people that try to do good things with their money, and then generalize that belief that since that's how the world should work, and they do that, that's how it would work if the government stepped out.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jsor posted:

As far as I can tell, Penn and Teller's political philosophy comes from the fact that they're pretty cool people that try to do good things with their money, and then generalize that belief that since that's how the world should work, and they do that, that's how it would work if the government stepped out.

Their ideologies, or at the very least Penn's, is given more of a pass or is more easily swept under the rug because 1) it's not who they are at the core of their person / entertainer persona, and 2) while they're abrasive (at least Penn is), they're not an rear end in a top hat about it. That's what sets them apart from people like say Kevin Sorbo, or Adam Baldwin, or John Voight, whose ideologies are a little harder to separate from their on screen personas because they're actively terrible people in real life.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Tracula posted:

Hell. Funniest thing was after the show Teller was more talkative than Penn was but that might be because he hosed up his fire swallowing trick :v:

Even though I've heard Teller talk, my brain still just assumes he's got a kayfabe thing going and I'm weirded out every time.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Miss Wallace posted:

Once it went to syndication, it aired on several channels at once and reached more people. Once Pamela Anderson joined the cast, they upped the sex appeal and that garnered viewers too. Add to that the marketability of the "ideal" American escapism with stories that are easy to translate, and you got international appeal!

Island of romance. Well...that was certainly sapphic.

All of those housekeepers seemed pretty good? Like usually when you have a *whacky montage* of terrible applicants, you have them be really bad, like...I dunno, they burn fish fingers or they insist on wearing roller blades inside?
drat it, now I know where that Family Guy episode got the idea from, where they straight-up told two Portuguese guys specifically "No Portuguese", and then hired a sexy woman with big boobs to be the babysitter. Well I mean I guess it's an obvious trope but I'm going to blame Baywatch anyway. drat you Baywatch!

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Their ideologies, or at the very least Penn's, is given more of a pass or is more easily swept under the rug because 1) it's not who they are at the core of their person / entertainer persona, and 2) while they're abrasive (at least Penn is), they're not an rear end in a top hat about it. That's what sets them apart from people like say Kevin Sorbo, or Adam Baldwin, or John Voight, whose ideologies are a little harder to separate from their on screen personas because they're actively terrible people in real life.

I'd say presentation does the trick as well. They outright defended sweatshops and child labour on their last season of Bullshit with "lol socialism is stupid" and had this come from other less popular folk this would have been a bigger sticking point than a vague "Oh, they're Political". Henry Rollins is seen as this more angry AWK that is full of life on his Spoken Word albums but suddenly the material where he gloats on how in the third world its great that beggars take out eyes and limbs to live gets swept under the rug without even a "Wow it was sure dumb I spent at least 4 or 5 skits on that right" acknowledgement on later albums or whatever. Heck, Mike Rowe does TED talks and memes where he defends poo poo akin to what Matt Yglesias wrote a while back and I get to see his face over and over again without "Wait, why are we comparing Clients From Hell to OSHA?"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

achillesforever6 posted:

Huh aren't uber libertarians against charity since it goes against their whole ideology?

I would have assumed it was the opposite - you know, the idea of voluntary acts of charity being preferable to the provision of assistance by the government?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Going to direct anyone here interested in the historical background and context of video game settings to this YouTube site:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCyx1mPZXobOxCyzO2CwmDZA

History Respawned is a channel dedicated to showing game play from recent games while the host (Bob Whitaker, a history prof.) discusses the accuracy and implications of the setting, stories and environments of those games. His guests are specialists in the historical period of the game setting, most of them professors of history and sociology. Subjects have included Assassin's Creed, Fallout 4, Papers Please, Diablo 3, Never Alone, etc. All the videos are about 30-50 min long and pretty informative. Videos appear about once every 2 months.

I'm not sure if it is internet criticism but its definitely intelligent, informed opinions about video games.

• Locked thread