Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Hi all I have a close engineering friend who is thinking about applying for a DCMA position and asked me my thoughts as I have some past experience working with them.

I know from my particular work experience that DCMA can be viewed in "a certain light" by those they oversee but what are you gonna do...However, how is DCMA viewed internally by the various end user organizations and other DoD branches? I can imagine they are somewhat stuck in the middle...

He basically doesn't like his current job because his particular department isn't looked upon very highly in his company, so I figured I'd ask about that aspect here.

Based on the convo in the past few posts, maybe no one wants to say anything, but I'd appreciate any advice for him :)

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jan 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Crazyweasel posted:

He basically doesn't like his current job because his particular department is looked upon very highly in his company, so I figured I'd ask about that aspect here.

Wait...he doesn't like his job...because it has a good reputation? Is this a typo?

At any rate, I currently work for DCMA as an engineer, but only for another couple of months, since I'm taking a job with CECOM. What can I say? It certainly is not particularly well-loved as an agency, even within the DoD. In large part, that's because they have a fairly independent role within DoD. You see, even though they ostensibly work for "the customer", being the various acquisitions program offices, our reports go directly to OSD, so we can also dime them out on collusion with the contractor. That being stated, I think the reputation is more that we don't really do anything particularly useful for anyone. Whether having an agency witness and report on defense project development on-site and in-person day to day is useful is something one can make up their own mind about. Personally, I'm more comfortable with it than without it, as I think the contractor follows the process better just because they are watched even if DCMA doesn't really do anything.

That aside, it was my first GS job, so I was happy to do it to get my foot in the door. I'm not gonna lie though, a big part of why I'm leaving for CECOM is because I kinda wanted to do something at least a little closer to real engineering. But if getting paid to mostly develop professional relationships, understand contracting law, and write metrics and reports on it sounds interesting to your buddy, then well...you certainly get paid well enough to do relatively easy work, but of course any GS job has that reputation I suppose.

e_wraith
May 5, 2012

Damn pods!
Grimey Drawer

Justus posted:

Wait...he doesn't like his job...because it has a good reputation? Is this a typo?

At any rate, I currently work for DCMA as an engineer, but only for another couple of months, since I'm taking a job with CECOM. What can I say?

Congrats on the new job!

As to DCMA, it is what it is. The government side "customers" don't really spend much time thinking about it at all. Yeah, sometimes they annoy you in some way, but so does every other government entity you deal with. And let's not leave contractors out of that... I don't think many people declare vendettas against the organization because of it. In fact, if they really hate DCMA they might look to hire someone formerly from there to deal with any DCMA issues that come up. That is probably the biggest issue your friend might have if he wants to do engineering long term, getting painted with a contracts brush and being pushed to do things like be a COR or contracts TPOC or whatever instead of actual engineering.

If he doesn't want to be looked upon highly anymore, though, joining the government is a good solution to that problem.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Hahah yea it was a typo!

Thanks for the inputs. I had more experience with the contract guys and not Engineering, but it sounds like they do a lot of contract stuff anyways. I'll pass this along, thanks again!

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

Dr. Quarex posted:

A few people have acknowledged agencies at least! I think being cagey about specifics is a good idea for a lot of reasons though, not even specific to Government employment.

I assume these were private political discussion groups? I imagine this means people need to be better-informed about the Hatch Act on the job. Not that I mean you should be fired if you are ignorant of it, mind.

I don't disagree. A lot of feds don't really know what their rights are and that kind of education is a constant part of union work.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Do Fed agencies still host job fairs? If so is there a way to locate these easily?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
They do. I went to one by FEMA and another by Medicaid/care. I heard about them randomly, to be honest, so not sure if there is a list somewhere.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Maybe it's just late in the evening and I'm not reading this right, but to qualify for the Schedule A non-competitive process you must have a severe disability? My doctor only ticked the 'moderate' box when filling out my current job's ADA paperwork, and I'd fall in the "Other Options" portion of the SF256 form cause it's not on their list.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Welp another candidate was selected.

e: at least it's the weekend so I can drink my sorrows away

The Slack Lagoon fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 15, 2016

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Zantie posted:

Maybe it's just late in the evening and I'm not reading this right, but to qualify for the Schedule A non-competitive process you must have a severe disability? My doctor only ticked the 'moderate' box when filling out my current job's ADA paperwork, and I'd fall in the "Other Options" portion of the SF256 form cause it's not on their list.

This is not actually advice AT ALL but in my knowledge use of "severe" and "non-severe" in SSI terms, "non-severe" is no more than mild symptoms and "severe" is moderate or higher. Basically a severe disability would be something that more than mildly limits you.

THAT BEING SAID THIS IS NOT ACTUALLY ADVICE PLEASE VERIFY WITH SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY KNOWS THINGS

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
What does this mean: "Not Reviewed, Not Referred"? I feel like it means a computer reviewed my resume and was just like nah.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

How powerful is permanent reinstatement eligibility, which one gets after the years of federal service? How much easier does it make it to get a fed job again after a period of absence?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I have been wondering that myself. I assume it makes it precisely as much easier as "you can apply to internal postings" does, which is of course itself a matter of potential debate. But someone here will know more, as someone always does.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

huhu posted:

What does this mean: "Not Reviewed, Not Referred"? I feel like it means a computer reviewed my resume and was just like nah.

Sometimes they only pull the first 50 that pass the initial automatic screening. You may have just applied too late.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Goodpancakes posted:

Do Fed agencies still host job fairs? If so is there a way to locate these easily?

I know the DoJ does job fairs, but any time they do they just put an add in the local paper or something. Unsure if there is a location they are posted to online.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Thank you to those who maintain the OP, it was helpful.

I am an American citizen who has recently returned to the US after spending the last 17+~ years of my life abroad, with only intermittent visits to the USA for family and tourism, after becoming a dual citizen of New Zealand. Just applied for a legal assistant job in Atlanta which is my first federal job application.

I have learned through this job application process the full detail and scope of the SSS. I have been out of the country in New Zealand from ages 9 to 26 and never registered. If it was necessary I would swear an affidavit that this failure to register was a good faith mistake caused by being so distant legally, geographically and socially from the system.

I am preparing a status information letter to send to the SSS explaining as such, with just about 4-5 pages of evidence to show the full extent of my distance from the system i.e my entire education has been in New Zealand, I have never been a legal resident of a US state or held a state issued ID, I was never exposed to the fact of my school peers having to register. Most all of the things that would ping a young man to register I simply wasn't exposed to.

I am hoping that this will be sufficient for some kind of approved exemption, maybe at the very least I can set some kind of file note to this effect that each particular Agency will be able to refer to so it will mitigate any disadvantage I might face- I see that each Agency gets to decide at the end of the day how to judge SSS registration issues.

Any tips, guidance, experiences with SSS affecting your job search or career you might share? On a pure cultural level is there or how much of a stigma is associated with not having registered ?PM's welcomed.

Jacobin fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 23, 2016

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

Jacobin posted:

Any tips, guidance, experiences with SSS affecting your job search or career you might share? On a pure cultural level is there or how much of a stigma is associated with not having registered ?PM's welcomed.
There's no stigma whatsoever, but it is a precondition for federal jobs that you are registered for Selective Service. If you were 25, you could just register, but since you're now 26, you're screwed. There's an appeals process for people who didn't register because of extenuating circumstances and it sounds like you'd qualify, but you're throwing yourself on the mercy of the federal bureaucracy. Google is helpful in your case: https://www.sss.gov/Home/Men-26-and-OLDER

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Aye, that is the process I found I am looking to try my hand at. Mercy of bureaucracy it is

JohnnyHildo
Jul 23, 2002

Jacobin posted:

Thank you to those who maintain the OP, it was helpful.

I am an American citizen who has recently returned to the US after spending the last 17+~ years of my life abroad, with only intermittent visits to the USA for family and tourism, after becoming a dual citizen of New Zealand. Just applied for a legal assistant job in Atlanta which is my first federal job application.

I have learned through this job application process the full detail and scope of the SSS. I have been out of the country in New Zealand from ages 9 to 26 and never registered. If it was necessary I would swear an affidavit that this failure to register was a good faith mistake caused by being so distant legally, geographically and socially from the system.

I am preparing a status information letter to send to the SSS explaining as such, with just about 4-5 pages of evidence to show the full extent of my distance from the system i.e my entire education has been in New Zealand, I have never been a legal resident of a US state or held a state issued ID, I was never exposed to the fact of my school peers having to register. Most all of the things that would ping a young man to register I simply wasn't exposed to.

I am hoping that this will be sufficient for some kind of approved exemption, maybe at the very least I can set some kind of file note to this effect that each particular Agency will be able to refer to so it will mitigate any disadvantage I might face- I see that each Agency gets to decide at the end of the day how to judge SSS registration issues.

OPM is who you need to deal with. There was a fellow on 911jobforums.com who was in the same situation you were. He eventually filed suit in federal court and prevailed. Here is his saga:

The initial denial:
http://www.911jobforums.com/f58/selective-service-waiver-52006/

Headed to court:
http://www.911jobforums.com/f58/filing-suit-selective-service-registration-56819/

Victory!
http://www.911jobforums.com/f58/selective-service-victory-but-too-late-62808/

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

JohnnyHildo posted:

OPM is who you need to deal with. There was a fellow on 911jobforums.com who was in the same situation you were. He eventually filed suit in federal court and prevailed. Here is his saga:

The initial denial:
http://www.911jobforums.com/f58/selective-service-waiver-52006/

Headed to court:
http://www.911jobforums.com/f58/filing-suit-selective-service-registration-56819/

Victory!
http://www.911jobforums.com/f58/selective-service-victory-but-too-late-62808/

Ok wow, this is more serious than I thought. I am going to seek out that casenote.

I think I will be arching up the formality and amount of evidence than I had first drafted too.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
It is pretty intriguing to see how profoundly seriously they take this, considering that Selective Service seems virtually guaranteed to never come up again.

Oh, though looking into it I see that is just basically a military cold-call system at this point. Cool

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
I just completed my first day as a FedGov career-conditional employee. My supervisor told me that my official new employee orientation isn't going to be until April. What should I be doing/watch out for in the meantime so I don't get screwed because I was hired at an odd time?

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

sparkmaster posted:

I just completed my first day as a FedGov career-conditional employee. My supervisor told me that my official new employee orientation isn't going to be until April. What should I be doing/watch out for in the meantime so I don't get screwed because I was hired at an odd time?

Other than the usual "don't do anything stupid" the main things in my opinion are to set up your tsp fund (It defaults to everything G-fund if you don't go in and change it) and try and get a jump on your training requirements while things are slow.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
TSP actually defaults to the mixed L funds now, with differences in risk depending on your age

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Hey that's good to know. The new employee should still probably double check (or just resubmit if they want to be safe) their contribution amounts. My agency had us all fill out our desired initial TSP contributions at hire, and then for whatever reason ignored/overrode whatever we put on the forms, so we all missed at least a pay period's worth of matching.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

sparkmaster posted:

Be a model employee as much as you possibly can and show up on time or early until your probation passes at the very least.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Also ask around as to how people have gotten fired in the past. Well, O.K., only do that if you make some friends. But it sounds like the main ways to fail to complete the probationary period include "not being able to learn the job" and "continuing to do something when asked to stop." Your mileage may vary, but I bet those things are fairly universal.

Meanwhile, as I update my résumé to try to make myself feel better about having my first-ever interview that did not lead to a job, I find myself wondering if there is any way to search USAJobs for "research" positions only. Somehow I doubt it, but it is annoying that it is a formal designation that seems unsupported by the mechanics of the system. I do not qualify for like 95% of GS-12 jobs out of the gate, but I feel like there is no way to avoid sorting through all of them in order to try to find the ones I do qualify for. I briefly hoped all research positions were in one job category, but that does not seem to be the case.

I guess I could just only search for jobs with the word "research" in them...but keyword searches always seem risky to me.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

Also ask around as to how people have gotten fired in the past. Well, O.K., only do that if you make some friends. But it sounds like the main ways to fail to complete the probationary period include "not being able to learn the job" and "continuing to do something when asked to stop." Your mileage may vary, but I bet those things are fairly universal.

Meanwhile, as I update my résumé to try to make myself feel better about having my first-ever interview that did not lead to a job, I find myself wondering if there is any way to search USAJobs for "research" positions only. Somehow I doubt it, but it is annoying that it is a formal designation that seems unsupported by the mechanics of the system. I do not qualify for like 95% of GS-12 jobs out of the gate, but I feel like there is no way to avoid sorting through all of them in order to try to find the ones I do qualify for. I briefly hoped all research positions were in one job category, but that does not seem to be the case.

I guess I could just only search for jobs with the word "research" in them...but keyword searches always seem risky to me.

Isn't there a research scientist opm designation? and you could look for positions at ARL and similar places

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Kolodny posted:

Isn't there a research scientist opm designation? and you could look for positions at ARL and similar places
Good plan to look for specific places that would do this kind of work, but I have never found a specific designation ... or I should say, have never found one for, you know, "non-hard science research." I mean technically the 0100 series should be for me but the "non-psychological social science" part of that designation is almost non-existent.

I suppose I should be thankful that USAJobs is not just a long unsorted text document list of jobs actually

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Besides the normal stuff like actual crime, harassment and racial jokes, Hatch Act violations or accepting gifts are an easy way to get fired too.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I got a crossword puzzle themed on how not to violate the Hatch Act in my email the other day, so I'm covered. :toot:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

marchantia posted:

I got a crossword puzzle themed on how not to violate the Hatch Act in my email the other day, so I'm covered. :toot:
1. FIND THE ONLY TRUE ANSWER
code:
T W E N T Y S I X T E E N
        R
        U
        M
        P

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
So this is a typical timeframe, yes?

Apply 10/2/15
Closed 10/13/15
Referred 10/26/15
Interview 11/18/15
Followed up 11/25/15, told by interviewers they would have no input in or knowledge of the selection process once they submitted their recommendations.
??? SILENCE

I have other stuff in the pipe and a private sector opportunity that is going to move quickly if/when it develops, but I was very interested in the position and it would have been a great fit. I had just assumed they gave it to someone else and are waiting for his/her security clearance and other issues before telling me, in case it didn't work out (so they could have me as a backup), but I realize you never can tell and the "delay" could just be normal.

Slig
Mar 30, 2010
That's actually fairly quick from application to interview.

My current best shot is a combination of three listings at the same agency that they have finally gotten around to testing for.

Listing 1 - Apply 03/03/2015, Closed 03/06/2015, Referred For Testing 05/28/2015 and 01/05/2016
Listing 2 - Apply 04/21/2015, Closed 05/01/2015, Referred For Testing 01/05/2016
Listing 3 - Apply 05/06/2015, Closed 05/12/2015, Referred For Testing 12/08/2015
Notice for Test Date 01/29/2016
Testing 2/16/2016
Interview 2/17/2016 (If all goes well the day before)

Keep the faith. This is the blazing speed of government.

Edit: This is with the agency I currently contract for. There has been 5 announcements for the exact office I work at since I started and I never make the BQ list, but cross-country I made three offices. The federal hiring process will never make sense to me.

Slig fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 12, 2016

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I had a similar quick turnaround between application and interview, interview hit mid-December, and I just contacted them last week sort of like assuming I just missed the rejection e-mail but they were like "oh no, they are still in the decision-making process, hang tight!" Dang.

Also I recently got denied for what seemed like a sure-fire promotion and asked for feedback and darn if the feedback was not entirely reasonable. I appreciate the things we here in Government Land have for the most part! Even if I can basically objectively prove I deserved the promotion over other people, at least I see where they arbitrarily took me off the rails...

...in other words, stop using the USAJobs résumé creator (if you actually are). I had plenty of mixed signals on it before, but the general consensus (internally at least, which was what I cared about) was "you should still use it unless you are using a professional service and are 100% sure it is a great alternative." Well, my feedback was almost literally "if you had a more professional résumé you would probably have scored slightly better and been above the hiring cutoff" sooooo... huh. I sure would like to know why they require it for some postings if it is going to hurt you for others. Ugh.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Quarex posted:

I had a similar quick turnaround between application and interview, interview hit mid-December, and I just contacted them last week sort of like assuming I just missed the rejection e-mail but they were like "oh no, they are still in the decision-making process, hang tight!" Dang.

Also I recently got denied for what seemed like a sure-fire promotion and asked for feedback and darn if the feedback was not entirely reasonable. I appreciate the things we here in Government Land have for the most part! Even if I can basically objectively prove I deserved the promotion over other people, at least I see where they arbitrarily took me off the rails...

...in other words, stop using the USAJobs résumé creator (if you actually are). I had plenty of mixed signals on it before, but the general consensus (internally at least, which was what I cared about) was "you should still use it unless you are using a professional service and are 100% sure it is a great alternative." Well, my feedback was almost literally "if you had a more professional résumé you would probably have scored slightly better and been above the hiring cutoff" sooooo... huh. I sure would like to know why they require it for some postings if it is going to hurt you for others. Ugh.

Who was that feedback from? Because frankly it sounds like bullshit and the person they wanted to promote was already picked out. This definitely happens and despite the appearance of an "objective numerical score" past a certain point in the process it's really not objective. Saying you aren't qualified simply because of your USA Jobs resume sounds like a huge cop out and if you have a union I would consider grieving the poo poo out of that

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Dislike button posted:

Who was that feedback from? Because frankly it sounds like bullshit and the person they wanted to promote was already picked out. This definitely happens and despite the appearance of an "objective numerical score" past a certain point in the process it's really not objective. Saying you aren't qualified simply because of your USA Jobs resume sounds like a huge cop out and if you have a union I would consider grieving the poo poo out of that

I agree, if your resume was good enough to get past the automatic filter and you work with them on a daily basis, telling you to have write a more professional resume is bogus.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah I mean, I cannot really get too much more into specifics without saying something I probably should not, but I will say the feedback did roll "and you should highlight your skills better" into the critique so it was not literally "do not use USAJobs," but I got "more professional-looking/not USAJobs" 4-5 times versus "package your skills better" only twice, so. Yes. I will definitely at least talk to our local union president just to see if "do not use USAJobs" is something that has come up before and to get an inside take on it.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I've seen the print-out of a USA jobs resume, and it's not exactly pretty or easy to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e_wraith
May 5, 2012

Damn pods!
Grimey Drawer

Deeters posted:

I've seen the print-out of a USA jobs resume, and it's not exactly pretty or easy to read.

100% true, as someone who has read many. Trust me, though, the interviewers are used to seeing USAJobs resumes. And as others have said, if the resume got you to the promotion interview it did the bulk of its job. There are a few instances where it could impact beyond that in my experience, but that's usually in fringe or very close cases. Chances are that they had someone else in mind for it, but who knows?

Also, request debriefs from everyone on the panel if possible. It will give you a much better picture of what was talked about. And someone might be honest with you, off the record of course, as to there already being someone they had in mind for that job. I have had it happen. Once in very blunt terms, more often in more subtle language.