Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

hello egyptian here, egypt is safe, but also gently caress it straight to hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

don't go to lovely touristy spots with lovely must-see sites.

take a trip to morocco for the markets and local arts, iceland for the diving and aurora borealis, turkey for all the weird wonderful scenery like natural hot springs, north-west china for the funky cuisine and then motorbike through the himalayas. do weird, wonderful things where you discover things about yourself, opop. and most importantly of all, use an airmiles card for it all.

Ernie. fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 22, 2016

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
gently caress Morocco.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Also I think everyone at some point really should go on one of those Antarctic cruises I mentioned. They are not your average cruise liner, not even close, but drat do you get to see some cool stuff.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Kashuno posted:

gently caress Morocco.

why?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Kashuno posted:

Also I think everyone at some point really should go on one of those Antarctic cruises I mentioned. They are not your average cruise liner, not even close, but drat do you get to see some cool stuff.

is there unlimited shrimp and pizza?

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
I had a friend that just went to morocco by herself and she said it was amazing, but she is very adventurous. do it with a tour group?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

busb posted:

I had a friend that just went to morocco by herself and she said it was amazing, but she is very adventurous. do it with a tour group?

:agreed:

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

busb posted:

I did it with Intrepid. It was good

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Also Ernie, I know Abu Simbel and Valley of the Kings are super touristy but they were also amazing.

Although I think I got lucky with the tourist situation. Because I went not long after the Arab Spring tourist numbers were extremely low compared to normal. It was really sad in some places where there were locals whose only income was from tourists to see how badly they were suffering.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
i think i'm doing it wrong, people are agreeing with me.

Just go to Darwin, it's where all the cool people live.

I will go to Egypt one day.
Also Mesopotamia hopefully but i get so angry and sad every time i see IS has destroyed another building or relic from before their god was even born :(

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
don't go to Antarctica it is terrible for the environment there

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Ecco send me that salmon from three pages ago.

They're closing my school district two hours early tomorrow because the state is in a cold weather state of emergency.

Current forecast for tomorrow is 45 degrees and light rain.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Birdstrike posted:

don't go to Antarctica it is terrible for the environment there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH573B1bkHI

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Opop wherever you go make a side visit to a glacier before they all melt

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

skipping 6100+ posts to say holy drat there are a lot of smileys i didn't know existed

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
:yarg:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

haha I wrote an essay for an intl. environmental law course about it in 09

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 27, 2020

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I disagree with Ernie, and as much as the "local culture" of places is nice and all to get an "authentic" experience you'll never do more in a day than when you are with a tour group. Yes they are to tourist spots, but they're tourist spots because quite frankly they are amazing. You also learn a whole bunch from your tour guide which is nice.

I guess it depends on why you go on vacation, but if I'm going to see something amazing in the world then I want to have an expert there to help me see as much of it as possible. I don't really care about the modern people and understanding their lives since that's not what I'm there to see (assuming the tourism isn't harmful for the area). I'm there to see the history and wonder of it all. People are people everywhere.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Asiina posted:

I disagree with Ernie, and as much as the "local culture" of places is nice and all to get an "authentic" experience you'll never do more in a day than when you are with a tour group. Yes they are to tourist spots, but they're tourist spots because quite frankly they are amazing. You also learn a whole bunch from your tour guide which is nice.

I guess it depends on why you go on vacation, but if I'm going to see something amazing in the world then I want to have an expert there to help me see as much of it as possible. I don't really care about the modern people and understanding their lives since that's not what I'm there to see (assuming the tourism isn't harmful for the area). I'm there to see the history and wonder of it all. People are people everywhere.
Someone might counterargue that if you only ever go with tour groups and on the guided showings, you're not actually experiencing the place as it is, you're getting pre-packaged, mass-produced, Theme Park versions of everything.

If you go to France, see all the landmarks and go home, how have you really bettered yourself as a person? You've gotten to check off a line on a bucket list, completed and arbitrary accomplishment, sure, but aside from people whose job it is to prepare that tour for you (guides, hotel staff, etc), have you really interacted with a single non-American? Have you enriched yourself or your life in any way? Or have you just done something that could be accomplished with a history book and a pair of 3D glasses?

People call it the 'authentic' experience because the alternative is turning the whole visit into a glorified theme park ride.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I went to France, didn't do any tours and didn't better myself as a person so :confuoot:

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Poison Mushroom posted:

Someone might counterargue that if you only ever go with tour groups and on the guided showings, you're not actually experiencing the place as it is, you're getting pre-packaged, mass-produced, Theme Park versions of everything.

If you go to France, see all the landmarks and go home, how have you really bettered yourself as a person? You've gotten to check off a line on a bucket list, completed and arbitrary accomplishment, sure, but aside from people whose job it is to prepare that tour for you (guides, hotel staff, etc), have you really interacted with a single non-American? Have you enriched yourself or your life in any way? Or have you just done something that could be accomplished with a history book and a pair of 3D glasses?

People call it the 'authentic' experience because the alternative is turning the whole visit into a glorified theme park ride.

As a girl travelling by herself to a predominantly muslim nation like morocco i would say yes, take the loving tour group.

If you're travelling by yourself to a western, safe nation then do whatever you want. I personally didn't go with a tour group when i went around Europe, but you can meet all sorts of people on groups that expand your isolationist tendencies.

When i was in Les Eyzies i had to talk to market stallpeople and order and try and ask them things in french and it was difficult but fun :)

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Poison Mushroom posted:

Doesn't that depend on why and how you travel? I did a tour in Russia, but had a couple of days at the start in St Petersburg by myself. I went to a museum that had a whole bunch of scientific curiosities collected by one of the Tsar's.

Did I better myself? No, but I sure as hell saw a lot of deformed animal embryo's in jars (and it was awesome).

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Birdstrike posted:

I went to France, didn't do any tours and didn't better myself as a person so :confuoot:

a shameful birb

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

busb posted:

As a girl travelling by herself to a predominantly muslim nation like morocco i would say yes, take the loving tour group.

If you're travelling by yourself to a western, safe nation then do whatever you want. I personally didn't go with a tour group when i went around Europe, but you can meet all sorts of people on groups that expand your isolationist tendencies.

When i was in Les Eyzies i had to talk to market stallpeople and order and try and ask them things in french and it was difficult but fun :)
Okay, that is an incredibly fair point, and I concede it, and the argument. Especially since the original subject was Egypt.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Poison Mushroom posted:

If you actually go to these places they are vastly different than a history book and a pair of 3D glasses. There's something about being in the middle of history, in being a building that has stood for thousands of years, standing completely surrounded by opulence (Versailles is amazing), or standing on a former battleground and still seeing the scars from the people who fought and died there almost 100 years ago. Being in those places yourself cannot be duplicated and have nothing to do with talking to the people who currently live there. It's not about them, since their experience is really not all that dissimilar to mine, but the places in their country are completely unique and span across time.

If you came here, yeah I could show you the grocery store I go to or the nature trail behind my house that is like the nature trail you probably have near your house, or I could take you to one of the wonders of the world (niagara falls) or up to the seat of government in my country. While the first one is an authentic experience of my life and the culture of my area, the other gives you a chance to experience something magnificent or important that you otherwise wouldn't get to see.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
well yes but canadian and american and australian culture is boring and bad, but french is good so your argument falls a bit there

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

French culture is also delicious

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

busb posted:

well yes but canadian and american and australian culture is boring and bad, but french is good so your argument falls a bit there

Actually every French person I interacted with in France was extremely rude, but that's neither here nor there. :ssh:

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Asiina posted:

Actually every French person I interacted with in France was extremely rude, but that's neither here nor there. :ssh:
did you try to impress them with quotes from American TV shows? they love that

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Make sure to constantly ask for directions to the lou-ver also

especially outside paris

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I haven't slept in 48 hours again, btw.

This is becoming a habit so regular that I'm getting used to it.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
Japan is probably the best place i've ever travelled, and Mount fuji and enivrons the coolest place there

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
also i may be biased because my bowels are currently being raped by the street food my friend insists on eating but vietnam is a shithole

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
hey pmush you should sleep just some advice from your good pal ecco

sleep and then move

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

Tommunist posted:

also i may be biased because my bowels are currently being raped by the street food my friend insists on eating but vietnam is a shithole

I've heard eat noodles not rice. Gl friend, Viet food is amazing

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I ever get an all-girls group together, I'm calling us Womensa just to piss people off.

Edit Wrong thread, but gently caress it, it stays.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tommunist posted:

my bowels are being raped too, but by antibiotics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Birdstrike posted:

I did the same but I ended staying. Don't know if I'm a better person yet.

France has been brought up as a tourist destination and it's well worth it. However, I'll recommend that you avoid Paris if you really want to see some different things. I was pretty surprised to find out just how big, and just how much variety France has. It's a beautiful country and if you can get a hold of a car or plan out the trip well enough with trains and a train pass there are some frankly incredible things you can see.

I'm a big big fan of Brittney since I love rocky forgotten coasts, like the the ones in New England, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Ireland, and Scotland. You can also see Neolithic stone structures similar to Stonehenge and just meet nice people and see pretty little towns and villages, assuming they survived WWII. While the Riviera gets a lot of tourism just north of it is a gorgeous area called La Provence. My partner's grandmother originates from there so we've spent a couple of summers down there and it's incredible. It's pretty much the foothills of the alps and you have this wonderful hills and clear blue sky come spring and summer. A couple natural wonders around there are the Gorges de Verdun, a cayon that cuts right into the beginning of the Alps, as well as generally cool rock formations. We took a car down and while just driving back from Avignon (the papal palace there wow) we saw in the distance a castle amongst some crags. We figure out how to get there and turns out it's a medieval town that's been restored and kept (so very few people actually live there) but to see where it's built is pretty crazy.

A lot of these things are domestically touristy, but tend to be clear of a lot of international tourists. Also if you do go to the south the French Basque country is gorgeous with the coast and the forested Pyrenees. It's also around there, pretty much starting around Toulouse, that you see the grottos with the cavemen paintings and I don't think I've ever been so moved than to see those paintings. I didn't go to the famous one, but another one where you can see the paintings themselves since they tightly control the entry to it.

Asiina posted:

That... can happen. Particularly in Paris and especially in the touristy areas. I've met nothing but nice people area else outside of Marseille. Marseille is special like Paris.