Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Recoome posted:

yes but how do you feel about cultural marxism?

Your preconception of me as a rampaging MRA is yet another good example of your brainlessness. If you had put any effort into reading my actual posts, you wouldn't consider these dumb little snipes a powerful trolling technique, as you clearly do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

You'd make a great teacher. 'By asking that question you've exposed yourself as an idiot and forfeited your right to an answer.'

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Mithranderp posted:

ehhhh cable in some areas can be really poo poo during peak times due to congestion/lots of households on cable TV.

Also depends on how close you are to an exchange. We're really close to one on ADSL2+ and we get 24mbps.

I used cable in my last two places,. and because nobody knows that it exists, nobody uses it. 100mbs in both locations, tiniest, tiniest of pings. One of those places was trendy suburb Marrickville. Telstra and Optus don't usually let people know that there is cable there, so often if you ask, you shall receive, gloriously.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

open24hours posted:

You'd make a great teacher. 'By asking that question you've exposed yourself as an idiot and forfeited your right to an answer.'

I just typed out "you know as well as I do that his 'question' was entirely rhetorical", then I remembered who you are and realized that actually, you probably couldn't distinguish a rhetorical question if your life depended on it.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

If "philosophically bankrupt" sounds like a weird out there phrase that only weirdos would use you need to read more books. I'd like to put it in a less pretentious sounding way but I can't, this is the plain truth.

Christ you're thin skinned. I was just making a joke about the different meanings of bankruptcy economically and mentally, not making some personal attack.

You need to lighten up dude. Be like me, make orkin mang your philosophical receiver.

EDIT: Mang please liquidate my assets. ;)

hooman fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 22, 2016

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Well I was actually thinking of the earlier question about what you think people are supposed to take away from the speech, but I guess I should have been more specific.

You're so quick to abuse people, why is that?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
:australia::australia::australia::australia::australia::australia:

quote:

A 24-year-old Brisbane man is under investigation following his release of a video on Facebook in which he appears to bite the head off a live rat and swallow it.

The RSPCA seized 17 rats and a python from a home in Albion after a video was posted to Facebook seemingly depicting Matt Maloney biting the head off the animal.

The video, since shared more than 200,000 times on Facebook, showed Mr Maloney storm into a room, get hit by a fluorescent tube, allegedly bite a rat's head off and wash it down with three shots of vodka, get punched in the face, and have a chair broken over his back.

RSPCA Queensland spokesman Michael Beatty said the seized rats and python would stay at the RSPCA pending possible charges under the animal care and protection act.

"We hope to have some answer within three or four days," he said.

On Thursday, Mr Maloney hit back at commenters who criticised his brutal behaviour and said the rat was a feeder rat and "was always going to die".

"I fed the body to my snake after the video and it wasnt (sic) wasted (I like to share)," he wrote.

"I killed that rat 10 times quicker then (sic) the snake could of. I'm sure 90 per cent of you have rat poison and rat traps in your homes right now. So stop acting like a bunch of sissies and accept the food chain.

"Its mother nature and mans (sic) gotta eat!"
:nms:

gay picnic defence fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 22, 2016

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

open24hours posted:

Well I was actually thinking of the earlier question about what you think people are supposed to take away from the speech, but I guess I should have been more specific.

You're so quick to abuse people, why is that?

I'm about equally abusive as everyone else on this forum. The difference is I don't do it in a circumspect fashion that amounts to enforcing conformity.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

umm, gay picnic defence, can you remove that photo please

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Yeah the rat photo is hosed up, soz

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

could of

The monster.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Radio network Triple M has come under fire after former Labor leader Mark Latham used his podcast with the station to say men hit women as a "coping mechanism".

In the 20-minute podcast posted to the Triple M website on Friday, Mr Latham took aim at Australian of the Year Rosie Batty and feminists for "demonising men" and making those who hit women "feel worse about themselves".

As soon Mr Latham's comments hit the airwaves, demonstrators on Change.org launched a petition to get him sacked from Triple M and Channel Nine.

Furthermore it called on anti-domestic violence organisation White Ribbon to distance itself from Triple M and the "disgraceful podcast".

During the podcast, Mr Latham said he worried Ms Batty was "causing more harm than good".

"The patriarchy argument is that men beat up women in some cases because they hate women," he said.

"But I don't think it is about how men look at women, it is about how men look at themselves.

"They have lost their self-esteem, their job, are welfare-dependent, on drugs or alcohol in their life.

"They use domestic violence as a coping mechanism to get over all the other crap they have in their lives.

"Demonising men and making them feel worse about themselves is not going to solve the problem."

Triple M is an official partner of domestic violence awareness charity White Ribbon, supporting White Ribbon Day when it was held on November 25 last year.

White Ribbon Australia chair John Rosewarne said Mr Latham's comments showed "his lack of understanding and knowledge of this complex issue".

Mr Rosewarne did not say the charity would be breaking ties with the radio station, nor did he call for Mr Latham to be sacked.

"Triple M are committed to bringing the conversation on men's violence against women to the fore. They stand by their decision to run Mark Latham's podcast as they believe the conversation needs to happen amongst men no matter how uncomfortable it is and the view presented," he said.

"White Ribbon is about … men letting other men know that men's violence against women in any form is never OK."

Triple M head of network Mike Fitzpatrick said the station would continue working with the charity.

"Triple M stands side by side with White Ribbon and will continue to push conversations about domestic violence no matter how uncomfortable. This is an issue that needs to be spoken about," Mr Fitzpatrick said.

"We call for all men to stand up and hold those who commit acts of violence against women and children to account."

Latham lashed for 'appalling misogyny'

By Friday afternoon, more than 410 supporters had signed the petition demanding Mr Latham be fired.

"Latham is free to speak, and we are equally free to be disgusted with what he says," the petition said.

"There is no place in Australia in 2016 for this appalling misogyny."

Greens deputy leader Larissa Waters criticised Mr Latham, saying most Australian men supported of the anti-domestic violence movement.

"Mr Latham's appalling comments add to the shockingly sexist start to the year, which has included a former federal Liberal junior minister and the former NSW Labor general-secretary resigning over sexual harassment allegations," she said.
On Twitter, veteran broadcaster Tracy Spicer described his comments as "shameful", while prominent feminist Clementine Ford described the podcast as a "toilet show".

Comedian Wil Anderson said Mr Latham's keys to success were to: "Be loud, terrible, unpopular and low-rating, miraculously get new job. Repeat."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-22/mark-latham-under-fire-for-triple-m-podcast-domestic-violence/7107650

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Video of the IQ2 debate - topic "Racism is Destroying the Australian Dream"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNHjYwPSd3w

Skip to 3:06 to watch Stan Grant's speech. It's pretty heavy stuff.

e: Also, there's a poll for/against on the site:

http://www.iq2oz.com/debates/racism-is-destroying/

So far 51% of respondents do not agree with the topic.

e2: Good lord Rita Panahi is an awful public speaker

SadisTech fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 22, 2016

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I am glad Howard won in 2004.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Amethyst posted:

Your preconception of me as a rampaging MRA is yet another good example of your brainlessness. If you had put any effort into reading my actual posts, you wouldn't consider these dumb little snipes a powerful trolling technique, as you clearly do.

I can't imagine why anyone would consider that an effective way to troll you.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

hooman posted:

I am glad Howard won in 2004.

If Latham had won Gillard would have taken over before the end of the first term, except it'd have been obvious to everyone why.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

I can't imagine why anyone would consider that an effective way to troll you.

Your tepid sarcasm is similarly witless. If getting someone to pour deserved derision on you counts as trolling in your book, then I guess you're the king.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Amethyst posted:

Your tepid sarcasm is similarly witless. If getting someone to pour deserved derision on you counts as trolling in your book, then I guess you're the king.

:allears:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

amethyst subscribes to the "use a ton of fancy sounding words in order to sound superior"

unsurprisingly this is quite common in MRA circles

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Recoome posted:

amethyst subscribes to the "use a ton of fancy sounding words in order to sound superior"

unsurprisingly this is quite common in MRA circles

Please tell me which words are too difficult for you.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Amethyst is okay.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

SadisTech posted:

Video of the IQ2 debate - topic "Racism is Destroying the Australian Dream"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNHjYwPSd3w

Skip to 3:06 to watch Stan Grant's speech. It's pretty heavy stuff.

e: Also, there's a poll for/against on the site:

http://www.iq2oz.com/debates/racism-is-destroying/

So far 51% of respondents do not agree with the topic.

e2: Good lord Rita Panahi is an awful public speaker

Oof that opening argument was powerful :smith:

e. You are not wrong about Rita, jeez

Knorth fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 22, 2016

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

China is hosed. Australia is less hosed.

It'd be pretty stupid to put all your eggs in one basket. China is a garbage country cargo culting the USA and Japan. Its food, air and water is poisoned. Its products are lethal garbage unless QA inspectors are at every point of the process.

Vice – Devasting effects of pollution on China.
Journeyman – Chinas pollution national emergency.
CBS – poisoned milk powder.
Al Jazeera – Milk powder smuggling
Al Jazeera – Fake food scandal
101 East – China airpocalypse
Under the dome in China

quote:

Arglebargle III posted:
It's like giving a presentation to orcs about cleaning up Mordor. "At first, I too thought that the reeking sulfurous clouds and greasy water choked with the ashes of industry were a normal, healthy part of Lord Sauron's benevolence! But when it was my time to unleash my own hideous brood upon our hated enemy the Earth, I started thinking: is constantly weeping blood and pus really what I want for my wretched progeny?"
ABC – Bullet train crash
Journeyman – Three gorges dam, disaster soon
BBC – Tianjin port explosion
RT – Shandong explosion
Drive – Chinese car scores zero for safety
Faces of China – Heavy Metal

Bad news: They don't want things out of the ground (good for environment though)
Good news: They want clean food, medicine and education because the standards and conditions in China are a joke.
Bad news: The Liberals have gutted TAFE and made uni a diploma mill for foreign students cash.
Good news: we can still sell high quality food, and medicine
Bad news: Gutted CSIRO, and watch dog like authorities and we've got drought coming.

So loving yay

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
"Surveys show women are safer than ever before, that, sure, there are some unacceptable incidents of domestic assault in the community, but they're no worse than they were 20 or 30 years ago. Why this big national push?"

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

*catches up on thread*

Thousands of posts by Amethyst you say? You have this user on ignore, you say?

Carry on, thread, carry on.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

*catches up on thread*

Thousands of posts by Amethyst you say? You have this user on ignore, you say?

Carry on, thread, carry on.

Thanks for letting us all know, you preening tosser.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Man, if Amethyst wasn't so diligent about always making sure to reply to any time anyone says or implies or suggests in any way that maybe something about him could be imperfect in every way, I might have a slightly lesser opinion of him right now. And that would totally impact his life. Good thing he kept it up.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Jerk detected is posting up a storm today

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Jerk detected is posting up a storm today

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
You're really missing out guys. Fortunately his posts can be summed up in a single smilie: :rant:

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Bifauxnen posted:

Man, if Amethyst wasn't so diligent about always making sure to reply to any time anyone says or implies or suggests in any way that maybe something about him could be imperfect in every way, I might have a slightly lesser opinion of him right now. And that would totally impact his life. Good thing he kept it up.

Defending yourself from insults is is not a sign of a flawed character.

The purpose of rhetoric is not trivial, as you and I once discussed in the crew thread. Insults are made in the defense of the implicit wisdom held by each poster. To defend yourself is to defend your principals.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

In actual auspol discussion, what are people's thoughts re: the bunch of ultranationalist political movements (now supposedly parties) which are now kicking around. Will they likely gain any traction?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
:tootzzz:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Why use three words when you could write a loving contrived essay to argue your point

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
So far today he's used 'parochial' and 'preening' in ways that make me wonder if he knows what those words mean before he googles them now for a post hoc justification of his use of them.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I don't think ultra-nationalism is really our style. We don't have a myth to refer to in the way older societies do so the movements always look like a tragic pastiche.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Starshark posted:

So far today he's used 'parochial' and 'preening' in ways that make me wonder if he knows what those words mean before he googles them now for a post hoc justification of his use of them.

Nonsense. Point out where I misused those words, you illiterate moron.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
forsooth, quivers me tuppence

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

This thread is populated by mental midgets who get confused when presented with words like "partisan."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Amethyst posted:

defend your principals.

Amethyst posted:

Nonsense. Point out where I misused those words, you illiterate moron.

• Locked thread