Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Two questions:

1) Are there any major "Utilities Overhaul" mods out there that are any good?

2) Can anyone recommend any sites I should look at if I wanted to play around with some invasive CS mods (or at least see what's feasible)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Hubis posted:

2) Can anyone recommend any sites I should look at if I wanted to play around with some invasive CS mods (or at least see what's feasible)?

You mean to see what people are getting up to with crazy non-vanilla stuff? Sometimes r/cityskylines, check the top posts of the week/month/year maybe; Simtropolis, where there's folks in the Journals forum who are doing insane stuff (go look at Roadman's Seattle, or SimCity superstar dedgren's new project); lastly, there's the official forums, but I think they're supremely poo poo now.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Friggin' finally! Trams!

Now I can pretend to be at work when I'm not at work!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Hubis posted:

Two questions:

1) Are there any major "Utilities Overhaul" mods out there that are any good?

This is a very very very very good utility mod
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=576997275

gently caress pipe laying busywork. You still need pumps and treatment and all that, but it just makes water/sewage a global resource.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Baronjutter posted:

This is a very very very very good utility mod
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=576997275

gently caress pipe laying busywork. You still need pumps and treatment and all that, but it just makes water/sewage a global resource.

I see a couple comments there about the pumps draining the river because they're being used to max without pipes. That sounds dumb and wrong to me but have you ever had anything like that happen?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Eric the Mauve posted:

I see a couple comments there about the pumps draining the river because they're being used to max without pipes. That sounds dumb and wrong to me but have you ever had anything like that happen?

Nope. I like to use that goon made super awesome pump though. I've never seen them over-draw though. People are bad at the game or have weird minor problems and like to blame what ever last mod they installed. Maybe it slightly changes pump behavior to always be sucking at max, but it's going to eventually be sucking that much anyways, and who cares beyond your first pump.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Sounds like someone using a custom map that didn't have enough water sources in the waterways or that waterways aren't deep enough.

For being so swadling about the average person not being able to break their game or stress their computer, there are a million and one ways custom maps can go wrong without any official checklists or recommendations on how not to go wrong in map making.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

zedprime posted:

Sounds like someone using a custom map that didn't have enough water sources in the waterways or that waterways aren't deep enough.

For being so swadling about the average person not being able to break their game or stress their computer, there are a million and one ways custom maps can go wrong without any official checklists or recommendations on how not to go wrong in map making.

So many map makers are so bad at water. Either they go the lazy CO vanilla map route and make every river a ridiculously deep level-tool flat channel, or they make these nice shallow realistic looking rivers that instantly gently caress up the moment you put a single pump anywhere on the map. I know it's a challenge, but with a little practice you can get the best of both worlds. Make the flow strong enough and deep enough to be reliable, but still look very natural and not be cliff-like trenches.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Baronjutter posted:

So many map makers are so bad at water. Either they go the lazy CO vanilla map route and make every river a ridiculously deep level-tool flat channel, or they make these nice shallow realistic looking rivers that instantly gently caress up the moment you put a single pump anywhere on the map. I know it's a challenge, but with a little practice you can get the best of both worlds. Make the flow strong enough and deep enough to be reliable, but still look very natural and not be cliff-like trenches.

I played on a workshop map that had a nice little river passing through the starting square, along with a corner that was a big river. I put pumps on the big river (near the inlet of the little river) and by the time I filled up the first square, I had so much waste dumping into the small river that it backed up to the inlet (reversed the "flow" which was really nonexistent to begin with.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

First Snowfall Dev Diary posted. Not much detail beyond what we already know. Winter is a biome, so the maps are always winter. Snow is generated by code and they claim only minor tweaks are required to make buildings snow-ready. Winter has some special services associated with it, including snow clearance and apparently heating. All maps are getting some form of weather. There will be weekly dev diaries until release.

The comment thread on reddit has some additional detail from TotalyMoo and one of the devs, including:
- Seasons are not in this DLC. They are not planned for Cities: Skylines.
- No cul-de-sacs (culs-de-sac?) in this DLC.
- A future expansion is planned that will apparently add additional gameplay mechanics.

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 21, 2016

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

- No cul-de-sacs (culs-de-sac?) in this DLC.

You can already just dead-end roads, what is this supposed to mean? No special graphical treatment like a circular turnaround at the end? Are people hankering for that?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Supraluminal posted:

You can already just dead-end roads, what is this supposed to mean? No special graphical treatment like a circular turnaround at the end? Are people hankering for that?

:shrug: It seems to be a popular request on Reddit. I don't really get it because there are multiple ways to accomplish this already depending on how you want it to look (2x2 circle, add a short 6 lane road, just dead end, etc.). I guess they want a little turnaround asset for it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Baronjutter posted:

The water mechanics are really loving hard, especially if you're not making super wide rivers. I've made a lot of maps and almost all of them are river maps and I've spent countless hours trying to perfect the rivers and streams and it's like pulling teeth. The problem is that shallow riverbanks create stagnant waters that do not flow like you would expect them to. They end up pooling or stopping because every time you touch your bank geometry you have to gently caress with your height/drain properties on your water sources to get the flow back in the proper way.

Making a non-canyon river is the single hardest thing to do in the map editor and given the prospect between spending hours loving with it or just letting it be a canyon, it's not a surprise that people pick the canyon channel route.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

kefkafloyd posted:

The water mechanics are really loving hard, especially if you're not making super wide rivers. I've made a lot of maps and almost all of them are river maps and I've spent countless hours trying to perfect the rivers and streams and it's like pulling teeth. The problem is that shallow riverbanks create stagnant waters that do not flow like you would expect them to. They end up pooling or stopping because every time you touch your bank geometry you have to gently caress with your height/drain properties on your water sources to get the flow back in the proper way.

Making a non-canyon river is the single hardest thing to do in the map editor and given the prospect between spending hours loving with it or just letting it be a canyon, it's not a surprise that people pick the canyon channel route.

…not to mention how easy it is for water to spill over shallow banks and start pooling somewhere that you later discover makes the land completely unusable. And of course, this isn't just in the editor but in the game as well. I've had entire neighbourhoods having to be abandoned, violently terraformed, and then rebuilt just because I moved a water pump while the game was paused, which created the tiniest little wave crest that splashed onto dry land and then couldn't be drained or removed.

If I ever come across a map with shallow banks these days, the first thing I do is break out the terraforming tools and make them cliff-like. Otherwise, there's no point in trying to play on the map because the water will gently caress up sooner or later.

If there's ever a quality-of-life improvement this game needs, it's a huge “remove water”/sponge tool that simply lets you outright delete water on the ground without doing anything whatsoever with the natural water level or any of the water sources.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
I still maintain that the dynamic water is more trouble than it's worth. Poop dams are cute but I would be happier with something simpler and less finicky.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Supraluminal posted:

I still maintain that the dynamic water is more trouble than it's worth. Poop dams are cute but I would be happier with something simpler and less finicky.

Agreed. It's occasionally cool but overall doesn't add enough to the game to justify all of the headaches.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I don't have that many headaches with it at all and for me the dynamic water is worth it if only because I can dam off section of sea/ocean and drain it to build more poo poo on the sea floor.

Then again I'm not making maps I guess so at most I just have to fiddle with dam placement and pump placement.

Tippis posted:

If there's ever a quality-of-life improvement this game needs, it's a huge “remove water”/sponge tool that simply lets you outright delete water on the ground without doing anything whatsoever with the natural water level or any of the water sources.

There's a water pump floating around on the workshop which sucks up water at some insane rate. It's purpose is to basically get rid of water like you're saying (or to drain away sectioned off parts of sea/ocean). I don't have the link on me at the moment but I'm sure there is more than one.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
By the time you get stagnant puddles you can end up in edge cases where a pump doesn't see it as shoreline but its not shallow enough to dissipate.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
just stated playing this a few days ago. should my population be 0 to 500 within the firs few months?? that seems a bit extreme

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 21, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

verbal enema posted:

just stated playing this a few days ago. should my population be 0 to 500 within the firs few months?? that seems a bit extreme

You're saying it's fluctuating that much per month? Or that 500 seems like big amount of growth? It's pretty normal to get a few hundred to a thousand from your first little village. ~500 is basically your starting village you end up with after you spent your initial money and are waiting for more to come in as all the houses fill up.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

verbal enema posted:

What are you calibrating your expectations against? It's a video game, they made it so that people move in briskly if there's available space and enough demand because it's fun that way.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
ok i just didnt know if i was going too fast

i was terrible at any sim city unless it was a premade map

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

verbal enema posted:

ok i just didnt know if i was going too fast

i was terrible at any sim city unless it was a premade map

It's only "too fast" if it causes a problem for you somehow. There's not like a prescribed optimal path to starting your town. Skylines is mechanically very easy and forgiving, there's not really a lot you can do to gently caress up your city too badly.

Well, people do manage to produce some amazing traffic catastrophes I guess, but even then it primarily just looks gross.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
So I made a crime against traffic the other night:

which worked excellently,

and made it better (maybe?)

What do people think?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
2 lane roads are slow as molasses and multilane merges and splits make highway through-traffic AI twiggy.

Some people don't seem to report problems but my rule of thumb is anything merging into or from a highway is ramp only.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

zedprime posted:

2 lane roads are slow as molasses and multilane merges and splits make highway through-traffic AI twiggy.

Some people don't seem to report problems but my rule of thumb is anything merging into or from a highway is ramp only.

Those are modded two-lane highways from Network Extensions.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I still wouldn't trust the AI around them but if anyone thinks they look cool, more power to you.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

zedprime posted:

I still wouldn't trust the AI around them but if anyone thinks they look cool, more power to you.

They seem to work extremely well! Also makes your freeways take up less space than with the regular ones, you can cram them together with only two units distance.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Koesj posted:

They seem to work extremely well! Also makes your freeways take up less space than with the regular ones, you can cram them together with only two units distance.
I meant as interchange branches. 2 lane highways on their own, super cool. 2 lane highways splitting off a 3 lane highway and merging into a 3 lane highway, the AI shits the bed in some sort of weaving avoidance behavior.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

zedprime posted:

this version of traffic manager seems to help a lot, the guy worked heavily on the highway / road AI it seems.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dred_furst posted:

this version of traffic manager seems to help a lot, the guy worked heavily on the highway / road AI it seems.
I might insult it, but I don't like modding out any behaviors that I would do in real life.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

zedprime posted:

I might insult it, but I don't like modding out any behaviors that I would do in real life.

also that's 2 lane highway from the network extensions mod.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

zedprime posted:

I meant as interchange branches. 2 lane highways on their own, super cool. 2 lane highways splitting off a 3 lane highway and merging into a 3 lane highway, the AI shits the bed in some sort of weaving avoidance behavior.

Ahhh yeah that can be tricky.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

Added some more areas to my city, pretty happy with how it's started to grow:

I also finally extended the train network so that more of the central station is in use. It has ~1500 passengers going through it weekly. The crosswalks next to it are permanently full.

And lastly an overhead shot of the entire city:

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Dred_furst posted:

What do people think?

Making something functional is easy, making it look good is the hard part.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Dred_furst posted:

What do people think?
I think for people who don't enjoy hand drawing highway intersections, that looks like it's just a cloverleaf with a T intersection a little bit down one leg.

As far as the actual monster,

The very highest segment in the bottom picture (going from the E highway to the SW one) is probably redundant since you can still get there on that same ramp. And all of your exits are on the right-hand side except for one -- not sure the judges can give any style points for that.

And I'm not sure why the southbound lanes of the highway coming from the north juke over to the east for a bit, crossing the northbound lanes. I would guess it's a pylon thing.

Otoh, most of your curves look fairly smooth, so you've got me beat.

Edit: all directions based on the last picture.

Fake edit 2: I can't see a way to go from the top west highway to the SE highway southbound. I.e. From 9 o clock to 5 o clock.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 22, 2016

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I've made noodle monster highways and for me it is always the same. Start off clean, and then keep adding as more problems present themselves. Looks come last until I can get the traffic flowing properly. Then it becomes a procrastination problem.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Grabbing my first mod for the game, to open up all 25 tiles once I get a megalopolis. I'm vain and petty though, will this interfere with 'cheevos or unlocks? Also I started making my highways before realizing I should have just use two three way intersections. Oops!

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

RBA Starblade posted:

will this interfere with 'cheevos
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=407055819

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Am I supposed to use the water pump? I'm at 6k people and i'm doing just fine off of water towers and my two drains

which are just doing a wonderful job of painting my river red in pollution view