Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Advice posted:

Brook said the name Vinsmoke sent chills down his spine. I don't think the World Nobles are well known to common folk, I wonder if instead, Sanji is just from some notorious kingdom? He's at least important enough that Big Mom wants into the bloodline.

I can't help but feel that if Sanji were a part of the world nobles that we would have gotten some hint at Saobondy. Oda can't resist putting in little hints at things like that, and I feel we would've gotten a panel of Sanji's personal outrage at the behavior of Chalros.

Also I'm not sure if it's a good idea to kidnap and force a world noble to marry. Not sure Big Mom is ballsy enough to have the entire Marine force actively gunning for her.

Maybe not World Noble, but what about a step down from that with national noble? There seemed to be a point of difference with that in the Goa Kingdom (Luffy's hometown).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Jose posted:

whitebeard started a war with them and shanks just rocked up i don't think the emperor's give a poo poo about the marines.

when did big mam become big mom and is that just an american scanlator change?

Looks like Oda can't make up his mind on whether it's Mom or Mam:

http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Charlotte_Linlin (scroll down to the Translation Issues section)

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Maybe not World Noble, but what about a step down from that with national noble? There seemed to be a point of difference with that in the Goa Kingdom (Luffy's hometown).

There does seem to be a difference between the world nobles (tenryuubito) and just regular kings and whatnot. One group lives exclusively in Mariejois and wears space suits, while the others are just rulers of kingdoms. There was a flashback where Wapol and Vivi's dad met at a big council of kings in Mariejois so there is some connection to the world government still, but there is a distinction.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Big Mam/mom wants an excuse to get into Reverie, maybe?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Crazyeyes posted:

Whereas Whitebeard (well, formerly) seems to be into personal family and allegiances, Blackbeard seems to be about amassing personal power via Devil Fruits, Shanks is all about casual partying and personal freedom, Kaidou is about building up an army and the rules of combat (Strength is the only Law, etc), Big Mom seems to be all about traditional politics and royal family marriages to consolidate power.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Reverie coming soon will be play a role in this, that's a good point you bring up.

On that note, each Yonkou seems to have a defining personal philosophy which they abide by (Whitebeard's ironclad rule of not betraying family being violated by Blackbeard, etc). Luffy's will probably follow in Shanks's footsteps after he (most likely) kicks the bucket of being the man with the most freedom on the seas being the Pirate King, which is what Rayleigh recognizes as a philosophy befitting the man succeeding Roger.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Begemot posted:

There does seem to be a difference between the world nobles (tenryuubito) and just regular kings and whatnot. One group lives exclusively in Mariejois and wears space suits, while the others are just rulers of kingdoms. There was a flashback where Wapol and Vivi's dad met at a big council of kings in Mariejois so there is some connection to the world government still, but there is a distinction.

Still, wasn't the Nefrititi (the family Cobra/Vivi are from) among the founding nobles Doffy listed off in addition to the Donquixote family prior to the Void Century? Vinsmoke might be part of that cadre.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I like that Capone has a non-generic henchman now, who will probably fight one of the SH crew later... although I bet he's tired about all those jokes about his giant hands, the first such incident occurred in....

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I like that Capone has a non-generic henchman now, who will probably fight one of the SH crew later... although I bet he's tired about all those jokes about his giant hands, the first such incident occurred in....

at first I thought it was really poorly drawn foreshortening... then I saw the next panel and he does in fact have giant comedy hands. Oda does it again!

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I'm on my phone. Somebody dig up what Dofy said about the royal families. I think we have a hanging plot thread there. IIRC, he said all but two of the original families live in Mariejois. One was the Nefetiris, and he casually didn't mention the other one. If I'm right, there's your Vinsmokes.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Space-Bird posted:

at first I thought it was really poorly drawn foreshortening... then I saw the next panel and he does in fact have giant comedy hands. Oda does it again!

Giant hands perfect for whispering secrets with! :allears:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Advice posted:

I'm on my phone. Somebody dig up what Dofy said about the royal families. I think we have a hanging plot thread there. IIRC, he said all but two of the original families live in Mariejois. One was the Nefetiris, and he casually didn't mention the other one. If I'm right, there's your Vinsmokes.

You could be right about the two families thing, but I should point out that the Nefertitis aren't technically World Nobles. They were one of the twenty founding families of the world government, like Doflamingo's family, but they refused to leave Arabasta so they are just a plain old royal family.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Advice posted:

Pretty sure the other family he was referring to is the Doflamingo family

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Crazyeyes posted:

Sanji is being married off to the 35th daughter of the Charolotte family, Big Mom is already some level of royalty. Also Sanji implies that it was someone in/connected to his family who set up the wedding.

Crazyeyes posted:

Pretty sure the other family he was referring to is the Doflamingo family

No, the Doflamingo family hosed off to Mariejois with the rest of the people. Then the Riku family were elevated to the royal family of Dressrosa. Mango's dad realized that all that wold noble stuff was bullshit and gave it up, which is what made spoiled rear end in a top hat Doflamingo into who he is today.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It was also Brook who said it, which means it could have been a noble family who did something infamous back when he was originally active/alive. It does seem like nowadays they mostly stay isolated, but that may have not always been the case with every single family.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

so "Pudding" is going to be Jewelry Bonney isn't it?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

NecroMonster posted:

Please yes

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Maybe Capone's Devil Fruit powers play on the term "castle" loosely and allow him to transform himself into "castle" or "fortress"-like objects such as with the tank treads in this chapter. What are other castle-like objects you can think of? Maybe Capone can turn into a Boeing B-29 Superfortress plane and carry all his crew inside and drop firebombs on people? :v:

Yeah maybe its powers are just very vague like Law's fruit.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It's still a little ambiguous how old she actually is. That could get a mite weird.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Brook was an elite warrior for "a certain kingdom" before joining the Rumba Pirates, Could he have been working for Sanji's Family decades ago? Or at least active in that area of the world.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

AtomikKrab posted:

Brook was an elite warrior for "a certain kingdom" before joining the Rumba Pirates, Could he have been working for Sanji's Family decades ago? Or at least active in that area of the world.

Wasn't Brook a famous high muckety muck in his kingdom before becoming a pirate? Sure it was decades ago but you'd think Sanji would have heard of him if he was from the same country.

Like if a skeleton started talking about how he was Sgt. York.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

AtomikKrab posted:

Huh? I don't remember hearing about this.

Source?

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

AtomikKrab posted:

Yeah that's an interesting concept, I think he was the captain of the guard for some place. He at the very least knows who the Vinsmokes are.

I think I'm really going to love this arc. Sanji used to be my favorite character and so far he's been written as the same dude I hella liked all those years ago. It's really cool that he's back to replace Swirly Nosebleed Guy.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
Awesome chapter. I love that even though Sanji is potentially a celestial dragon he decided to serve others.

And the declaration of Luffy becoming the pirate King was epic!!!

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

He was the leader of a "Battle Convoy", whatever that is.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Huh? I don't remember hearing about this.

Source?

Let me check I think it was when they first showed off his bounty picture? the old one from 50 years ago.

HERE this chapter! Oh yeah thats an important rear end chapter since it shows Ace's card being wrecked, also previously I missed franky being MANLY and SUAVE as he let's lola down easy when she offers to marry him.

He was the convoy leader for a kingdoms battle fleet, in other words he was a captain before becoming a first mate and then a musician?

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 22, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Actually, isn't Brook from West Blue? I think that's where Laboon is from.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Gyges posted:

Actually, isn't Brook from West Blue? I think that's where Laboon is from.

They met Laboon in West Blue but I don't believe it has been stated explicitly that that is where he is from.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Brook might be my second favorite StrawHat behind Franky. He's got such a good backstory, his powers are awesome, and skull jokes are great. I'm glad Sanji decided to take him along to meet Capone last chapter, if the other crew members think he's strong that's Oda saying he'll get more fights in the future.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Crazyeyes posted:

They met Laboon in West Blue but I don't believe it has been stated explicitly that that is where he is from.

Isn't it mentioned in the chapter linked that all the Rumbars are from west blue? Since he said its good they're buried on a piece of their homeland (Thriller Bark)

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Kild posted:

Isn't it mentioned in the chapter linked that all the Rumbars are from west blue? Since he said its good they're buried on a piece of their homeland (Thriller Bark)

So it does.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

AtomikKrab posted:

Let me check I think it was when they first showed off his bounty picture? the old one from 50 years ago.

HERE this chapter! Oh yeah thats an important rear end chapter since it shows Ace's card being wrecked, also previously I missed franky being MANLY and SUAVE as he let's lola down easy when she offers to marry him.

He was the convoy leader for a kingdoms battle fleet, in other words he was a captain before becoming a first mate and then a musician?

Oh right, Nami still has the Vivre card for Lola's Mom. Maybe that will become relevant in the next few chapters.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I wonder how Wano will play into all this. Before, after, or part of this arc?

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
Do you think it's possible Bege has Observation Haki? It seems like he noticed Nekomamushi even though he was inside of his body.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Do you think it's possible Bege has Observation Haki? It seems like he noticed Nekomamushi even though he was inside of his body.

It's also possible that he has a window out the back of his head, hidden by his hat/hair, where his gang can keep watch :)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

alkanphel posted:

I wonder how Wano will play into all this. Before, after, or part of this arc?

I expect sanji to take precedence over the samurai post elephant island, but it's hard to say what'll happen between them leaving there and finding where he is

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Mr. Fowl posted:

It's also possible that he has a window out the back of his head, hidden by his hat/hair, where his gang can keep watch :)

this isn't possible, it's 100% true no way it loving isn't

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
or he can see an act normally even while inside his own head. since he was walking while they were talking

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

dazoner posted:

And the declaration of Luffy becoming the pirate King was epic!!!

Indeed.

What the hell is going on? I like Star Wars again and now I like Sanji again. Are we going back in time?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Scratchman Apoo posted:

It would be pretty sad if a Supernova chilling in the new world couldn't use CoO when Mr. I Literally Get Lost Running In A Straight Line can. But dude's loving huge, that's how he noticed him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

NecroMonster posted:

Loves food, was hunted but specifically told to keep alive, yeah I could see this