Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
On the Hakuho henka nonsense from day 9: what exactly do people expect Hakuho to do when his opponents are torpedo diving towards him at the tachi-ai?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Kotoshogiku just humped his way to a literal pile of money.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Holy flying bumpety. Don't think I've ever seen Kotoshigiku move that fast.

That's a lot of banners. I wish they had shown him accepting the stack. I always get a kick out of the idea of someone kicking back with their feet up and manually opening 60 envelopes.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Gibbo posted:

Holy flying bumpety. Don't think I've ever seen Kotoshigiku move that fast.

That's a lot of banners. I wish they had shown him accepting the stack. I always get a kick out of the idea of someone kicking back with their feet up and manually opening 60 envelopes.

Here you go - around the 5:50 mark. Plays it cool as a cucumber, though, so not too much to see. Great to watch if you want even more of the build-up than Kintamayama was able to show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8fbn1YaKGg

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

It's really stupid how some people are saying Kotoshougiku only won because they want a Japanese champion and thus fixed the matches. That's what I get for reading Youtube comments.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

MrSmokes posted:

It's really stupid how some people are saying Kotoshougiku only won because they want a Japanese champion and thus fixed the matches. That's what I get for reading Youtube comments.

It's great because the same people have been saying the lack of a Japanese Yusho was proof of match fixing too. Regardless of what happens it proves conspiracy to them.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Day 12:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx9_mtOTnds

:black101: KOTOSHOUGIKU AGAIN :black101:

Nobody can stop the bumpity bump!

Queering Wheel fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jan 21, 2016

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Tochinoshin-Shohozan :black101:

Is there any bad blood between Chiyotairyu and Kotoyuki? That was a pro wrestling-level glare there afterwards.

Toyonoshima still mathematically with a shot to win this thing!

Ichinojo's performance is beyond pathetic at this point.

:lol: Goeido. Facing kadoban and a fresh off a loss Hakuho at the same time.

Hoooly poo poo Kotoshogiku!!!!!

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Tochinoshin-Shohozan was definitely the best match today.

I love how Kotoshougiku isn't just winning closely, he's bulldozing them straight off the dohyo like a monster :black101: He wants to get this over with!

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Awesome. Just awesome stuff all around.

So, uh, I sure as gently caress am not going to use the sumo app to view the next 3 days' bouts since they are spoiled right from the second you pull up the match. I want to scream like a little girl when Kotoshogiku wins/loses. So I guess we're waiting for Jason's 4 or 5 uploads around the middle of the day, and painstakingly watching the rest on the app?

Giku goes up against M7 Toyonoshima tomorrow, and Toyonoshima has about the same % record against him as Harumafuji does. Someone also pointed out that those two are good friends and rivals from their high school days. This is going to be interesting.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Astrotrain posted:

It's great because the same people have been saying the lack of a Japanese Yusho was proof of match fixing too. Regardless of what happens it proves conspiracy to them.

What's the reasoning behind this? Foreign money in sumo? Weird.

Edit: Re: Chiyotairyu and Kotoyuki, Kotoyuki is generally a bit more dramatic than other rikishi. I seem to remember a particularly dramatic pre-bout stare-down between him and Shohouzan. I might be thinking of someone else, though. But either way, I'm a Kotoyuki fan. Guys like that just make everything more fun.

Dr.Radical fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 21, 2016

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MrSmokes posted:

I had no idea how much weird childish racism there was between Japan and Korea until I read YouTube comments on that controversial Misaki/Akiyama fight.

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Help, my google-fu is weak, oh sumo thread. I know I saw a Baruto highlights reel, primarily of him just lifting other rikishi up and placing them outside the ring. I know it was years ago, but nothing leaves the internet. Anybody have a link?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Dr.Radical posted:

Edit: Re: Chiyotairyu and Kotoyuki, Kotoyuki is generally a bit more dramatic than other rikishi. I seem to remember a particularly dramatic pre-bout stare-down between him and Shohouzan. I might be thinking of someone else, though. But either way, I'm a Kotoyuki fan. Guys like that just make everything more fun.

Kotoyuki is pretty entertaining - my head-canon is that he thinks his life is an anime.

Today, especially. The henka-er becomes the henka-ed!

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
day 13 is taking a lot to get posted.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Kintamayama went on a trip, so the last 4 days may not be posted.

Check this thread for some of today's boats (pg 3)
http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=34872

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Kinta got up day 13: https://youtu.be/30Rwy-OQTJM

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Diplomat posted:

Kintamayama went on a trip, so the last 4 days may not be posted.

Check this thread for some of today's boats (pg 3)
http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=34872

How dare he schedule a trip that would interrupt the free service he provides.

The bruising on ikioi 's left leg is really bad. Continually surprised at the injuries these guys wrestle with

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 23, 2016

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Reddit provided another channel with coverage for times Kintamayama's unavailable. Videos are of individual matches, but Day 14 looks complete.

Did someone drug Harumafuji and Hakuho's chanko today?

Kotoshogiku back in the lead :black101:

Can Ichinojo actually fail so hard tomorrow he gets demoted from his current ranking?

anakha fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Jan 23, 2016

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I have to wonder, how much effort will Goeido put into tomorrow's match?

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Wow, Hakuho got bulldozed today. I was rooting for him to lose this one, but was still shocked how quickly and easily he lost.

Tomorrow's matchups:
Kotoshogiku vs. Goeido
Hakuho vs. Harumafuji
Toyonoshima vs. Tochiozan

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
If somehow Hakuho manages to pull this one off there are going to be people getting ill in the stands.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

GIKU :black101: :black101: :black101:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Day 15: https://youtu.be/9x3s-cR8PdI

HE DID IT :holy:

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Kotoshoooogiku!!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Even setting aside the finale this was a weird basho. Day 9 was the weirdest day of sumo I've seen so far.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Welp, I'm just going to eat crow here and admit that I 100% did not see a Japanese rikishi winning a tournament any time soon let alone Koto-loving-shogiku. I'm shocked by the whole thing, really. I'll try and check out the newspaper stand on my way home today and see if there are any special editions.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Is there anything in the Japanese press to explain Goeido's Ozeki suckitude? He definitely merited the promotion, but as soon as he got it he's never managed to establish himself and this basho is a new low.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Oh my word, of all the potential Japanese rikishi to end the dry spell, I'd never thought it'd be Kotoshogiku who'd do it. It'll be interesting to see how he'll fare next basho, being the first Japanese ozeki in a long, long time to have a real shot at promotion.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Wasn't Giku a few steps away from falling off the face of the earth a couple of bashos ago?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

dupersaurus posted:

Wasn't Giku a few steps away from falling off the face of the earth a couple of bashos ago?
Giku was close to losing his Ozeki rank yeah, he was kadoban and only pulled out the 8-7 on the last day if I recall correctly.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
Knowing absolutely gently caress all about sumo, is there a reason they never help the other guy up after defeating him? Is there a specific rule or is it just a traditional (respect?) thing? Or does it actually happen occasionally and I've just not seen it happen in the 20 or whatever matches I've ever seen

vvvv cool thanks. Also I would like to see refs in other sports wear those cool robes the gyoji wear. Cricket umpires could pull off some solid white ones I reckon

aejix fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 26, 2016

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Uncle Jam posted:

It seems as though Endo has finally scheduled his knee surgery and will probably reappear in Sandanme. He tore his ACL a year ago.

Scratch that, surgery is off and Endo is doing leg exercises now according to the manager. Dude's career is probably toast unless the sumo association steps in.

aejix posted:

Knowing absolutely gently caress all about sumo, is there a reason they never help the other guy up after defeating him? Is there a specific rule or is it just a traditional (respect?) thing? Or does it actually happen occasionally and I've just not seen it happen in the 20 or whatever matches I've ever seen

Yeah it happens but the other guy usually refuses. Osunaarashi always tries to help the other guy up but he was absent this basho.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

aejix posted:

vvvv cool thanks. Also I would like to see refs in other sports wear those cool robes the gyoji wear. Cricket umpires could pull off some solid white ones I reckon

Much like the top-level gyoji, they could be made to carry a dagger. If they get an lbw call wrong, they must do the honorable thing and kill themselves.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

WindyMan posted:

Much like the top-level gyoji, they could be made to carry a dagger. If they get an lbw call wrong, they must do the honorable thing and kill themselves.

I thought that was pretty much India's position re DRS?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Tsaedje posted:

Is there anything in the Japanese press to explain Goeido's Ozeki suckitude? He definitely merited the promotion, but as soon as he got it he's never managed to establish himself and this basho is a new low.

I haven't heard anything via the NHK English commentary. They're usually pretty candid with things and give their opinions (one reason why I prefer it to the Japanese commentary) but they didn't give any reason about Goeido outside of him just sucking. I think what it has to do with is the streakiness of sumo. Guys do well enough a few tournaments and get promoted only to show how they're not really at the level their rank states. It kind of sucks for Ozeki and Yokozuna because people expect so much of them. You can't just get demoted and go back down the banzuke like sekiwake and lower. You look really bad if you're not performing and most people just quit.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Watching highlights of Kotoshogiku's winning run again, I couldn't help drawing comparisons between his execution and that of another Kazuhiro (Sasaki, the famous closer). Sasaki came at you with the high hard stuff, or the splitter that fell off the table at the last second. If you guessed which was coming, you had a chance of hitting it - otherwise, forget it.

His Achilles heel vs especially the Yokozuna was getting thrown too easily, but this time he pulled off a perfect execution of throwing the splitter (last-second throw or pull-down) against the ones most expecting him to take them all the way to the edge, then blowing away others with the high heat while the splitter was still in their minds. If he avoids getting henka'd and similarly keeps the opposition guessing, he's got a real chance for at least a jun-yusho next time around.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
For those who don't subscribe to Kintamayama's newsletter, he did a podcast recently where they discussed match fixing. Kintamayama's mic quality is really bad and that along with his slight accent makes it almost impossible to understand sometimes but it's still a good listen.

http://www.fightbox.com/en/podcast/item/9178-fbp-59-is-sumo-fixed

Interesting stuff. For me, the big thing that was evidence against match fixing (at least on a level of it actually mattering) for me was the long span of time that there had been no Japanese yusho winners. And then as the 10 year anniversary approached, a Japanese rikishi wins. However, I agree with Moti that if it were true, Kisenosato would have been the obvious choice. The past few years, many times Kise has gotten close to winning a yusho. Him winning would not be out of the question and totally believable if you were to fix a yusho. I also didn't really notice anything in the matches that was that bad as the other guy talks about. To me it all looked like things that were pretty much in the realm of ordinary. Hakuho losing that much is weird, yeah, but he's also getting older, he's been so dominant for so long, it's not impossible to me that he's getting tired and his level is dropping. Anyway, I agree that fixing a whole yusho seems pretty much impossible. That means getting all these rikishi from different heya into line to accomplish it. I DO think, however, that match fixing is not non-existent. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it still happens for single matches. It's been going on for a long time and a really common sentiment in Japan is "Well this is how we've always done it." It's pretty difficult to change tradition in Japan and unless you have solid proof like the text messages (that were only seen because they were part of a different police investigation) you're just not going to know and that works to its advantage.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Dr.Radical posted:

For those who don't subscribe to Kintamayama's newsletter, he did a podcast recently where they discussed match fixing. Kintamayama's mic quality is really bad and that along with his slight accent makes it almost impossible to understand sometimes but it's still a good listen.

http://www.fightbox.com/en/podcast/item/9178-fbp-59-is-sumo-fixed

Interesting stuff. For me, the big thing that was evidence against match fixing (at least on a level of it actually mattering) for me was the long span of time that there had been no Japanese yusho winners. And then as the 10 year anniversary approached, a Japanese rikishi wins. However, I agree with Moti that if it were true, Kisenosato would have been the obvious choice. The past few years, many times Kise has gotten close to winning a yusho. Him winning would not be out of the question and totally believable if you were to fix a yusho. I also didn't really notice anything in the matches that was that bad as the other guy talks about. To me it all looked like things that were pretty much in the realm of ordinary. Hakuho losing that much is weird, yeah, but he's also getting older, he's been so dominant for so long, it's not impossible to me that he's getting tired and his level is dropping. Anyway, I agree that fixing a whole yusho seems pretty much impossible. That means getting all these rikishi from different heya into line to accomplish it. I DO think, however, that match fixing is not non-existent. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it still happens for single matches. It's been going on for a long time and a really common sentiment in Japan is "Well this is how we've always done it." It's pretty difficult to change tradition in Japan and unless you have solid proof like the text messages (that were only seen because they were part of a different police investigation) you're just not going to know and that works to its advantage.

It's not often you can actually hear someone roll their eyes like Kintamayama was all through that. The sumotalk guy is such a hilarious conspiracy theorist. "Nobody can just have a good basho out of seemingly nowhere and win it, I base my arguments on precedent". 10 minutes later he's talking about Kyukutenho's surprise win in the context of it being an upset because clearly they were really trying to fix that tournament for Kisenosato.

It boils down to this: if they could fix the tournament winner, Kisenosato would definitely have a Yusho by now (or Goeido would've been given one to make his Ozeki promotion make more sense). Kotoshogiku makes no sense to be the first Japanese winner in 10 years because he's clearly not going to be able to keep it up. The first rule of match fixing is keep it as low key as possible. You can't be both competent enough to rig the tournament, but incompetent enough to have Kotoshogiku win against all expectations unless you believe it's all an elaborate double bluff.

And what's in it for the top guys? Money? When match fixing happens in most sports it's not the guys at the top, they can get money just by winning like usual. I completely buy that when it happens in sumo it's guys trying to avoid the drop back down to Juryo, that's a motivation that makes sense. Why would Hakuho deliberately throw a match and make himself look stupid to help the Sumo Association promote Japanese guys? Kintamayama makes a good point that these guys know how to throw a bout and make it look like a proper fight, because they do it all the time for exhibitions. Why would they make such a hash of it in front of TV cameras?

Hakuho's not fighting at his best right now, everyone agrees. Harumafuji and Kakuryu's form bounces up and down, and Terunofuji's crocked. Kotoshogiku trains hard for once, gets some good momentum going and rides it, surprising people who normally find him less of a challenge. If Terunofuji was fit, there's no question in my mind that he would have had Hatsu in the bag, based on the other top guys' performances. Kotoshogiku just got the perfect conditions for a surprise win. Much more plausible than "they all threw their matches against Kotoshogiku because it's 10 years since the last Japanese winner".

A round 10 years is suspicious, but only because human brains are pattern finding machines. Round number coincidences happen, - it doesn't necessarily mean there's been a conspiracy! Why not on the 5th anniversary, or after they had to take Tochiazuma's portrait down in 2012? As Kintamayama argues, why wait another 4 years after that and make it a suspicious round number?

As far as I can tell, the guy from sumotalk looks at his beep-boop numbers and makes predictions on who should win a match. If they do, "ta-da, my data predicted it!" if they don't it's clearly match fixing, how could his *~precedent~* be wrong? Let's scrutinise these "dodgy" matches and find evidence. Classic confirmation bias. And then this "clear match fixing" becomes a *~precedent~* in itself to back up anything that doesn't agree with his perfect predictions, and now there's a banzuke-wide conspiracy to make Kotoshogiku win Hatsu 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

What a bunch of bullshit. Every sport on the planet always has stories of that one player or one team that just gets hot or has everything go right one year or one tournament. The unknown results are why we watch the loving sports in the first place. Kotoshogiku is a Cinderella story and that's all there is to it. Nobody will blink an eye if he never wins 12 again, yet if he continues on this streak then that's just proof right there that this is his time. Likewise, if Hakuho takes the next 6 yusho I would be no more surprised than I would be if he has finally hit his decline and never wins another one. The greatest of all time can't be the greatest for all time, you know.