Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

If I could smother one idea in western culture, it'd be the concept of the lone badass taking out all of the heavily armed bad guys with just a pistol. People have no concept of how hilariously outgunned someone with a pistol would be against someone carrying an assault rifle.

well pistol are small and light and you are so much more agile than an armored enemy with a heavy assault rifle especially if you are trained for combat so it can be done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Snowman Crossing posted:

well pistol are small and light and you are so much more agile than an armored enemy with a heavy assault rifle especially if you are trained for combat so it can be done

Uh huh.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Germany released a video teaching immigrants how to behave and it's got all sorts of comical images, including this guy who looks like Conan O'Brien:

Snowman Crossing posted:

*faaaaaaaaaaaart*

Weren't they also wearing a ton of body armor? I mean only a perfect headshot was dropping that guy. poo poo the police officer on the ground had a gun.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
You're all forgetting that DoomGuy can take a rocket to the face.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/689422006131908611

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rand alPaul posted:

Weren't they also wearing a ton of body armor? I mean only a perfect headshot was dropping that guy.
Or a deer rifle. :v:

Concerned citizens should carry a game rifle and an urban hiding place around with them at all times so they have time to set up their shot.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

Lots of tobacco talk and missing nasal snuff.

I posted snuff even on the same page. :how:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

kalstrams posted:

I posted snuff even on the same page. :how:

Sorry! It looked like wet snuff and not dry snuff.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Thump! posted:

"Say somethin' you fuckin' beet-eating drunken prick!"

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Rand alPaul posted:

Weren't they also wearing a ton of body armor? I mean only a perfect headshot was dropping that guy. poo poo the police officer on the ground had a gun.

IIRC the guy who attacked the Jewish supermarket had duct-taped together a number of military surplus flak vests with metal plates between them. (flak vests on their own won't stop bullets or knives, as a number of Darwin Awards have shown)

Of course he ended up dying like a bitch when he charged the cops, got tripped by a automatic sliding door, and entire RAID team shot him in the head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd2Z3nXnLD0

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Is there a story here or is this just a stock photo of someone shoveling?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqoDswvVu4A

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bip Roberts posted:

Is there a story here or is this just a stock photo of someone shoveling?
It's a type of person who is likely to be unjustly killed by vigilantes if they wander around with the 'only I can stop a terror attack' mindset.

For political content, Here's a picture of someone who was shot by police in London for sounding Irish while carrying a chair leg under his arm.

(He was a decorator from Glasgow.)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Crossposting:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guavanaut posted:

If they were indoors upstairs against a single person with an assault rifle overly preoccupied with that person on the ground, they might get lucky.

Bonus points when it turns out the terrorist they just shot was an open carry nut who just shot someone for violating his right to stand his ground.

(In reality, they'd probably just end up shooting someone who was holding a shovel in an aggressively terroristic fashion.)

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6-xc_Oq3io

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

What a loon.

It came from Facebook!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cs9jP2ILOw

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

analogy6
Jul 1, 2004

OBAMAILURE

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2016/01/21/poll-name-this-winter-storm/

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I'm a gun enthusiast and I would love a gun that would only work for me and be perfectly safe.

The issue lies when these guns, currently, are clunky pieces of crap that barely work (if at all). The companies making them are treating it like some kind of cheap gimmick, not a quality firearm with a good safety system. Not something I'm looking for in a self-defense weapon. Mature the technology and I'll buy'em right up.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Short of literal magic, I don't think there's a way to implement a user verification system that doesn't also add a power requirement to what previously only required gun food to function.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Volcott posted:

Short of literal magic, I don't think there's a way to implement a user verification system that doesn't also add a power requirement to what previously only required gun food to function.

That's why it'll always be a dumb gimmick to people who know anything about guns.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

That's why it'll always be a dumb gimmick to people who know anything about guns.

I can see the technology being of great interest to police, and possibly to the military. It needs more development though.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

spacetoaster posted:

Until we can repeal the second amendment, making guns hard to impossible to be used is a worthy goal.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Zeroisanumber posted:

I can see the technology being of great interest to police, and possibly to the military. It needs more development though.

It's an idea that appeals to everyone.

I imagine police departments adopting them would be a huge thing that would get more people buying/supporting them.

Mulva posted:

Until we can repeal the second amendment, making guns hard to impossible to be used is a worthy goal.

Amen sister. You're preaching to the choir here.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
This is the way the world ends.
Not with a bang but with a puff puff pass

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Zeroisanumber posted:

I can see the technology being of great interest to police, and possibly to the military.

Only if a weapon can be authenticated at the unit level, and not just individuals. I can't see the military allowing the possibility of a soldier grabbing a weapon from a downed buddy and nothing able to use it.

Have some Duck Dynasty hypocrites:

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 22, 2016

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

beefnoodle posted:

Only if a weapon can be authenticated at the unit level, and not just individuals. I can't see the military allowing the possibility of a solider grabbing a weapon from a downed buddy and nothing able to use it.

Aside from the whole complexity/power issue, the ID is the biggest problem. You only need a couple stories about a wife or uncle or something that got killed because the gubmint mandated smart-gun wouldn't let them defend themselves because they weren't on the weapon's approved user list when they needed it. Personally I'd never buy one as just keeping the thing secured properly is just as safe with none of the cost or reliability questions.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

beefnoodle posted:

Only if a weapon can be authenticated at the unit level, and not just individuals. I can't see the military allowing the possibility of a solider grabbing a weapon from a downed buddy and nothing able to use it.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Ban the means of production! For the children!

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
All this gun production talk always reminds of some light gun reading by Jon Ross

http://imgur.com/hNMmvRf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Here's some light gun reading.

• Locked thread