Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Drone posted:

Plus you can't tell me that nobody has ever tried to play MtG on those little fold-down airplane tray tables during a flight.

I tried playing it with my friend during a 5th grade field trip on the little trays on the bus. It didn't go very wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Lets Pickle posted:

Who do you think will be the next member of the justice league? I'm guessing Liliana, they need a black protagonist, but there is no way they are reprinting Liliana of the Veil (mostly because she doesn't have the Chain Veil anymore, but also they have never reprinted a planeswalker in a story set.)

Most likely Liliana, but I'm going to laugh if we go for several more sets without a black protagonist on the team and Maro keeps on insisting that, no, black totally isn't evil. It's not like we don't already have Phyrexians, Nicol Bolas, and now Ob Nixilis to contend with on the front.

Hellsau posted:

If they want a black protagonist they're going to have to go rescue Koth.

Totally down for this.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Hellsau posted:

If they want a black protagonist they're going to have to go rescue Koth.

Karn Inebriated

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Molybdenum posted:

When flying do you check your deck or keep it in your carry-on?

Anime waifu fanny pack for maximum grognard creeper.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

On a side note I finally got to "go off" with the new Kozilek in commander. Highlights include:

-Countering Psychosis Crawler with Kozilek's Channeler
-Countering Genesis Wave with x = 6 by discarding Artisan of Kozilek
-Countering Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker by searching up Platinum Emperion with Eye of Ugin, then discarding it.

Other fun plays with new cards so far:

-Hitting Staff of Domination off of Matter Reshaper
-Exiling a Notion Thief with Warping Wail
-Copying a 1/1 Thopter token with Mirrorpool to have more chump blockers
-Getting Wastes with Solemn Simulacrum and Burnished Hart feels really good.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Lets Pickle posted:

On a side note I finally got to "go off" with the new Kozilek in commander. Highlights include:

-Countering Psychosis Crawler with Kozilek's Channeler
-Countering Genesis Wave with x = 6 by discarding Artisan of Kozilek
-Countering Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker by searching up Platinum Emperion with Eye of Ugin, then discarding it.

Other fun plays with new cards so far:

-Hitting Staff of Domination off of Matter Reshaper
-Exiling a Notion Thief with Warping Wail
-Copying a 1/1 Thopter token with Mirrorpool to have more chump blockers
-Getting Wastes with Solemn Simulacrum and Burnished Hart feels really good.

These are the things that make EDH fun and enjoyable. :allears:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Lets Pickle posted:

Who do you think will be the next member of the justice league? I'm guessing Liliana, they need a black protagonist, but there is no way they are reprinting Liliana of the Veil (mostly because she doesn't have the Chain Veil anymore, but also they have never reprinted a planeswalker in a story set.)

With the BFZ Felidar Sovereign and Dragonmaster outcast I'm not sure I'd rule that out now, but how did she lose the veil?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

With the BFZ Felidar Sovereign and Dragonmaster outcast I'm not sure I'd rule that out now, but how did she lose the veil?

I don't think she has?

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
I only very loosely follow the story, but isn't Garruk cursed with it now?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Lancelot posted:

I only very loosely follow the story, but isn't Garruk cursed with it now?

It's a curse caused by the Chain Veil, not him possessing the stupid plot device, IIRC.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Liliana still had the veil on her in the last Uncharted Realms so I think it's safe to assume she still has it.

Actually I don't think she's capable of getting rid of it, she already tried taking it back to Shandalar but couldn't physically leave it for some reason.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Drone posted:

Plus you can't tell me that nobody has ever tried to play MtG on those little fold-down airplane tray tables during a flight.

What do you think me and my buddy did on our flight to gp vegas?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Wurzag posted:

Liliana still had the veil on her in the last Uncharted Realms so I think it's safe to assume she still has it.

Actually I don't think she's capable of getting rid of it, she already tried taking it back to Shandalar but couldn't physically leave it for some reason.

She's cursed! With a hideous sense of fashion.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm the loser to takes Rally to the last 1K of the standard format because YOLO and plays against Hallowed Moonlight 4 rounds in a row.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Lets Pickle posted:

I'm guessing Liliana, they need a black protagonist, but there is no way they are reprinting Liliana of the Veil (mostly because she doesn't have the Chain Veil anymore, but also they have never reprinted a planeswalker in a story set.)

There are no more core sets, though, so when are we going to get planeswalker reprints?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Lottery of Babylon posted:

There are no more core sets, though, so when are we going to get planeswalker reprints?

We aren't.

Because of ~*~creative~*~ we're not going to see PW reprints in story sets, so your only open of PW reprints is Modern Masters or other supplementary products like duel decks.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Liliana of the Veil, Snapcaster Mage and Geist of Saint Traft in the next Modern Masters, since there's no way they reprint any of them in Standard.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 22, 2016

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

From the Vault: Jace

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Is it a powerful modern staple? Yes? Won't be reprinted in standard.

No? It might be reprinted in standard.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

We did get Thoughtseize. Liliana's also probably good to reprinted as long as she gets the veil, though that first requires that the power level of standard be fitting for her.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I actually do think that we're hugely unlikely to ever see a Planeswalker reprint in Standard, just because of how the creative department thinks. We had started only getting new versions even in Core Sets and now we don't even have Core Sets.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
There's also the (Wizards-confirmed?) tidbit about how LotV and Damnation were in an early version of M15 but removed before it went to print, so at least back then Wizards played with the idea of sprinkling Modern playables into their regular release schedule. But I don't know how that changes without core sets being around anymore.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

C-Euro posted:

There's also the (Wizards-confirmed?) tidbit about how LotV and Damnation were in an early version of M15 but removed before it went to print, so at least back then Wizards played with the idea of sprinkling Modern playables into their regular release schedule. But I don't know how that changes without core sets being around anymore.

I am just convinced that the only thing modern is getting from standard is chase land reprints and new creatures/spells that were miss-evaluated in playtesting. I feel like its going to stay that way until sales start to drop or management of the teams recycled.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah they held off because mono-black was already oppressive in RTR-Theros. We'll have to wait and see but the old reprint rules are basically not applicable anymore.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

I am just convinced that the only thing modern is getting from standard is chase land reprints and new creatures/spells that were miss-evaluated in playtesting. I feel like its going to stay that way until sales start to drop or management of the teams recycled.

This new set is probably going to create a new T1 modern deck. That's something.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm curious whether the Eldrazi deck will end up just being better than Tron. It comes out of the gates much faster and it ends up casting Ulamog at a pretty similar time.

Previously the fact that you had to set up with relics tempered it a bit, but you can now just go turn 2 Thought-Knot turn 3 Reality Smasher/Sower.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

This new set is probably going to create a new T1 modern deck. That's something.

That is very possible. I also expect that if that happens we will see Maro's blog talking about how mistakes were made.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yes this is a new phenomenon, it's not like the entirely deliberate power levels of Tarmogoyf and Arcbound Ravager

e: really this seems pretty ideal, they created a powerful modern archetype without it ruining standard

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sickening posted:

That is very possible. I also expect that if that happens we will see Maro's blog talking about how mistakes were made.

I don't know, this stuff doesn't seem to be poised to screw up standard and instead relies on a bunch of synergies from a previous block that just so happen to be convenient and interesting. Maro will probably be all in cheers over development.

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

"My criticism of the Izzet is that their impulse for learning seems too much like impulse and too little like learning."
-Trigori, Azorius senator

Lets Pickle posted:

I'm going to bet that when they finally unveil the Legion of Doom that Liliana will reluctantly join because she's "evil". Then at a critical turning point where the good guys are about to lose she will decide she's "not that evil" and save them. But she's not a nerd so she won't join the Justice League and will just keep secretly fawning over grognard-stand-in Jace and so she can act as Lone-Wolf-turned-Deus-Ex-Machina when Creative writes themselves into a corner.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I posted this in the wrong thread so I'm just gonna so goooooo Thought Knot Seer!

Snacksmaniac fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 22, 2016

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Any thoughts on how the new OtG cards will affect some tier 1 decks in Standard either directly or indirectly? I'm looking for anything that slots in to Dark Jeskai and nothing really jumps out at me.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If you're not looking to play colorless sources I think Goblin Dark-Dwellers is probably the biggest card. A 4/4 menace that casts Crackling Doom or Kolaghan's Command at your opponent seems pretty good.

One indirect effect would be your entire board dying to Kozilek's Return when your opponent casts Kozilek.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Entropic posted:

I actually do think that we're hugely unlikely to ever see a Planeswalker reprint in Standard, just because of how the creative department thinks. We had started only getting new versions even in Core Sets and now we don't even have Core Sets.

I think there won't be many planeswalker reprints; they are generally the face of the sets, create a lot of hype, and can often define Standard; but I think LotV is exciting enough (and flavour-neutral enough) to get past that.

Imagine if for SoI Wizards started showing Tibalt in key art, write him into the story, reveal his new card art...and then it's a reprint.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'm curious whether the Eldrazi deck will end up just being better than Tron. It comes out of the gates much faster and it ends up casting Ulamog at a pretty similar time.

Previously the fact that you had to set up with relics tempered it a bit, but you can now just go turn 2 Thought-Knot turn 3 Reality Smasher/Sower.

What pieces from Tron would have a home in a Modern Eldrazi deck post OGW? Karn and Ugin seem like they work well with those decks but don't really benefit from the lands like Eye and Temple. Would those decks run the Tron lands or are they too slow?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yeah they held off because mono-black was already oppressive in RTR-Theros. We'll have to wait and see but the old reprint rules are basically not applicable anymore.

Reprinting LotV now probably should be fine. She wasn't really oppressive in the Standard she was in anyway.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

C-Euro posted:

What pieces from Tron would have a home in a Modern Eldrazi deck post OGW? Karn and Ugin seem like they work well with those decks but don't really benefit from the lands like Eye and Temple. Would those decks run the Tron lands or are they too slow?
I don't think you'd want any expensive stuff that you can't cast off your sol lands. You probably don't need to bother with the Tron lands since you basically have a better version of them but maybe there'll be a hybrid list.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

I don't think you'd want any expensive stuff that you can't cast off your sol lands. You probably don't need to bother with the Tron lands since you basically have a better version of them but maybe there'll be a hybrid list.

That's what I figured, I just know Karn exiles stuff and Ugin wipes non-colorless stuff which seem to line up with how the deck operates. Deck sounds scary from the few lists I've seen, gotta make sure I'm stocked up on land destruction and non-basic hate.

Maybe a Blood Moon reprint in SoI? That's a horror-esque name, right? :v: This will not actually happen.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I JUST GOT THE JOKE ON GIFT OF TUSKS

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

C-Euro posted:

That's what I figured, I just know Karn exiles stuff and Ugin wipes non-colorless stuff which seem to line up with how the deck operates. Deck sounds scary from the few lists I've seen, gotta make sure I'm stocked up on land destruction and non-basic hate.

Maybe a Blood Moon reprint in SoI? That's a horror-esque name, right? :v: This will not actually happen.

If we aren't allowing standard to go max greed when it comes to land bases we aren't being fair. We can't let basic land having aggressive decks be tier one because those kind of decks don't sell packs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The fetchlands are rotating anyway.

• Locked thread