Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Toast is enjoying his haul of gumnuts, casuarina pods, and crow's ash pods from my parents' block. The crow's ash pods are especially favoured as he can chomp all the spikes off one by one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I've been thinking

My untame indian ringneck currently hates all human contact. She'll accept food from your hand and around the start of mating season she might let you poke her through the cage bars. However, if you open the cage, she freaks out instantly so I try to avoid doing that. She absolutely hates Bobby (my quaker), but he's friendly toward her. If i don't watch him when I let him out, he'll fly/climb to her cage and just chill while she tried to destroy his feet. I've been trying for a very long time to get her more and more friendly, but she just doesn't trust people much at all. I'm kind of at the point where I want to give up and give her away, but the only thing I can see her being is a breeder bird, but she's aggressive to other birds. If she could become a breeder bird, that would be a much better life for her than what she has now, because I can't let her out of the cage as she's extremely aggressive and impossible to put back without toweling her, scaring her half to death, and potentially losing massive chunks from your fingers.

I just don't know if she'd be able to fit in somewhere, because she's aggressive. I wouldn't sell her, I'd giver her away for free and do my best to find a good home. With the saved space, I was thinking of getting another friend for Bobby who can actually be with him without attacking him. Both birds would have better quality of life then I think. I just don't want to give her away and have it be a death sentence for her, but I don't think its fair to her to keep her in a situation where I know I probably won't be able to ever meet her needs. Any ideas on what I can do?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
:stare: http://www.redfactorafricangreys.com/reds-for-sale.html

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

$100'000?!?

Tell him he's dreaming.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

So beautiful, so goffick :swoon: When I am a millionaire I will have one of these as my sidekick. (So long as she doesn't eat Toast.)

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

N-no keep out we're not decent :stonk:

e:

"i love u" "i love tail"

*screaming*

*screaming intensifies*

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
hahaha holy poo poo I was just coming to post that picture

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

DEATH

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

why is it red

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
blood

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Dreggon posted:

why is it red

Dreggon, surely you of all people should know this

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I've been thinking

My untame indian ringneck currently hates all human contact. She'll accept food from your hand and around the start of mating season she might let you poke her through the cage bars. However, if you open the cage, she freaks out instantly so I try to avoid doing that. She absolutely hates Bobby (my quaker), but he's friendly toward her. If i don't watch him when I let him out, he'll fly/climb to her cage and just chill while she tried to destroy his feet. I've been trying for a very long time to get her more and more friendly, but she just doesn't trust people much at all. I'm kind of at the point where I want to give up and give her away, but the only thing I can see her being is a breeder bird, but she's aggressive to other birds. If she could become a breeder bird, that would be a much better life for her than what she has now, because I can't let her out of the cage as she's extremely aggressive and impossible to put back without toweling her, scaring her half to death, and potentially losing massive chunks from your fingers.

I just don't know if she'd be able to fit in somewhere, because she's aggressive. I wouldn't sell her, I'd giver her away for free and do my best to find a good home. With the saved space, I was thinking of getting another friend for Bobby who can actually be with him without attacking him. Both birds would have better quality of life then I think. I just don't want to give her away and have it be a death sentence for her, but I don't think its fair to her to keep her in a situation where I know I probably won't be able to ever meet her needs. Any ideas on what I can do?

Post this in the new section of this forum.

http://www.parrotforums.com/forums.php

There are a lot of people with a lot of experience training. They would also have a better idea of what you can do. Something you can look into is a bird shelter in your area.

This might help.

http://indianringneck.com/bluffing/

Macaws are well known bluffers, and boy its a show of will power to stand up to a macaw that is lunging at you. Now that I think about it, my Cockatiel and Quaker both do it as well, sure you get bitten the first few times, but as long as you don't pull away and don't react they get over it. But its hard to tell if something is true aggression or a bluff. Sometimes you just have to get bitten.

The most important thing about getting bitten is, DON"T REACT. Don't pull away, don't yell, calmly push your hand towed them, and use your other hand to distract. The more you react the more likely they will bite again.

1500 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 21, 2016

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Don't listen to them Dreggon that Grey is actually just full of love

I can show you the wooooorrrld

Flirting

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

1500 posted:

Post this in the new section of this forum.

http://www.parrotforums.com/forums.php

There are a lot of people with a lot of experience training. They would also have a better idea of what you can do. Something you can look into is a bird shelter in your area.

This might help.

http://indianringneck.com/bluffing/

Macaws are well known bluffers, and boy its a show of will power to stand up to a macaw that is lunging at you. Now that I think about it, my Cockatiel and Quaker both do it as well, sure you get bitten the first few times, but as long as you don't pull away and don't react they get over it. But its hard to tell if something is true aggression or a bluff. Sometimes you just have to get bitten.

The most important thing about getting bitten is, DON"T REACT. Don't pull away, don't yell, calmly push your hand towed them, and use your other hand to distract. The more you react the more likely they will bite again.

Ill check those out in the morning, thankyou.

I have seen her bluff but its rare, and she still connects with her beak. I didn't know it was a species thing, thats kinda cool. She only does it when you try to give her food through her cage bars and shes in a really bad mood. The rest of the time its chunks from your finger. I'm pretty good about not reacting to bites when I know they are coming, which is always with her, and I only try things with her when I'm in a calm mood. Both of my pointers have a lot of scar tissue from dealing with Shmi, I react a lot more to Bobbys occasional bite cause I'm not usually ready for it and it makes me jump/flinch like getting surprise pinched.

I think shes sexist cause she seems calmer towards my mum, so maybe a female adopter might work? I feel like a failure wanting to do this, so if I do I'm going to make sure I'm giving her the best shot at being happier I can.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

You've tried, you've had her for a long while, and you've thought long and hard (presumably!) about what is best for both you and her and come to the conclusion that it might be elsewhere. That's not being a failure. Sometimes it just doesn't work out despite all your best efforts.

Mr.Boofu
Mar 22, 2003
~_~
What size of cage do you guys recommend for 1 conure.

Edit:
I also know there's some information in the first page but I'd rather hear what you guys use and find works well than dimensions.

Mr.Boofu fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 21, 2016

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I got this cage for Boop:

https://www.petstock.com.au/products/111312000055/avi_one_322_flight_cage_with_stand_80l_x_53w_x_152h

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Length is more important than width, especially since conures aren't ground foragers so tend to stay up near the top. Sloped cage tops are annoying and the toys you hang slide around so you have to find ways to hold them in place. Flat tops are easier, and you can put more stuff on top of the cage like a play stand or whatever. Remember bar width is important; don't go so large they can get their head through and stuck, small doesn't matter so much for little conures but bigger species would be able to bite/break thinner bars. Seed catchers are really great but expect bird to fling it's stuff everywhere anyway (consider one of those plastic mats for underneath the cage for easier cleaning, or even just newspaper if it's a cage without the wheels). Think about the door size and placement, if they'll allow you to reach in easily enough, if they're able to be opened by bird, if you can get toys and bowls in easily. Bird won't necessarily be flying around, unless you manage to get a massive cage, but think about whether it will have room to spread it's wings and flap once toys and perches are in. Make sure there aren't perches over the food bowls or anything you don't want to be shat on regularly

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

A gift to the thread from my SASS Santa

Night thread

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Battle Pigeon posted:

A gift to the thread from my SASS Santa

Night thread

AAaaaaaaAAAAAhhhhhh!!!!! :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

Omelet could be a good bird name.

Edit: Also LAB I just noticed your mod star is a bird.

would someone post a screenshot for those of us on the awful app?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Trebuchet King posted:

would someone post a screenshot for those of us on the awful app?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
So at the moment there are about 200 to 300 corella at the park down the road and the noise is about exactly as you can imagine.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

GoldStandardConure posted:

So at the moment there are about 200 to 300 corella at the park down the road and the noise is about exactly as you can imagine.

Jesus, do they usually group in numbers that large?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
We live next to a really big park that has a lot of old trees, so its pretty much a haven for them. Usually there is at least a hundred corellas there in the evening, but driving past today the flock was massive.

There are a couple of suburbs in Perth where the rainbow lorikeets gather at night, pushing the hundreds easily and the noise is deafening.

I'd go and take some photos, but if I step outside into the sun I might burst into flames.

Nov 3, 2015

Mr.Boofu posted:

What size of cage do you guys recommend for 1 conure.

Edit:
I also know there's some information in the first page but I'd rather hear what you guys use and find works well than dimensions.

I would not go larger then 3/4" bar spacing, any larger and you run the risk of him being able to fit his head through. The gauge of the wire will not be an issue for you, I have found that even with larger birds, as long as they are properly supplied with toys and entertainment they will not try to break the cage. Something with a play top is always nice.

If you are more on a budget, I would look at the Prevue birdcages (http://prevuepet.com/, you can find them cheaper on amazon), they are well made and very cheap for what you get. I got this one for Bonny and have been very happy with it.

Something like this, something in the 18x18 or larger range.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If you are bargain hunting then a lot of brand's huge small animal cages for things like chinchillas are exactly the same as the ones they sell for birds, but with bird crossed out and small animal put on. All they do is swap out some of the accessories which you will end up changing anyway, and they are cheaper than the bird version.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Who in here feeds Zupreem to their conures? What size and type do you get? There's a place online here that sells the fruit, nut, and veggie blends, in the medium sizes mostly.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Battle Pigeon posted:

Who in here feeds Zupreem to their conures? What size and type do you get? There's a place online here that sells the fruit, nut, and veggie blends, in the medium sizes mostly.

Medium-Large.

Medium is for cockatiels or small GCCs that don't pick their food up. Alexis (dusky) likes to be able to hold and dip her pellets in water, thus Medium-Large.

Nov 3, 2015

Battle Pigeon posted:

While I don't have a Conure, my Quaker is about the same size. I feed him the ML veggie blends, it seem the larger the food the more you have to worry about them just eating some of it and dropping the rest, so the ML works well.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

They'll be for Ohtori instead of his Nutribird since he's all out of that, and we're thinking of trying Zupreem since I think it's meant to be better (he'll still be getting his coarse Harrison's as well, and Inko only eats the fine Harrison's), so ML it is then. We'll probably go with the fruit flavour since the Nutribird was fruity too, but I wonder if he'd like the veggie/nut blends and if they're any better or worse than another.

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 22, 2016

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Battle Pigeon posted:

They'll be for Ohtori instead of his Nutribird since he's all out of that, and we're thinking of trying Zupreem since I think it's meant to be better (he'll still be getting his coarse Harrison's as well, and Inko only eats the fine Harrison's), so ML it is then. We'll probably go with the fruit flavour since the Nutribird was fruity too, but I wonder if he'd like the veggie/nut blends and if they're any better or worse than another.

Neither of my birds liked the veggie blend but then I feed them fresh veggies as well.

If Inko only eats fine Harrison's and you want him to try the Zupreem then ML might be a bit big for him, M would be fine.

It really depends on if Ohtori likes holding food in his claws or not.

Foodtalk: I recently ran out of the bean/grain/veggie mix I get from my bird store (it's dried, and I cook it in batches as I need it, about once a week) and since the store is across the city and I don't have time this week (and the weekday traffic in Seattle is terrible) I went and got two small bags of organic frozen mixed veggies from my local hippie grocery store. Both birds are actually really happy with it. I think they (correctly) believe it to be people food because the first evening I gave it to them I was then able to eat my own dinner in peace, in front of them without them begging, because they were busy munching away at veggies!

Since the overall cost is pretty similar to the dry mix and the level of effort is lower, I think I might keep doing this for a while.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 22, 2016

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Inko is fine with just his Harrison's, he never ate Nutribird either anyway, it was too hard for him. Ohtori holds and dunks every single pellet he eats to the point he has a little water bowl next to his pellets specifically for dipping them, so the ML sounds like it would be best for him, easier to hold and more interesting shapes.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

My ears are ringing just looking at it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Potato Salad posted:

It says "voicing", but all I think is they're practicing the Weirding Way;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Twmc6jUrNw

No-one teach them to say Muad'Dib or we're all hosed :ohdear:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Potato Salad posted:

A reminder for those that don't know the sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTkyYtQaBGc

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Say hi to Putni!

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

Say hi to Putni!

Well hello Mr. Charming :kimchi:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

nielsm posted:

Say hi to Putni!

:swoon: so cute

e:

Mizuti posted:

A reminder for those that don't know the sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTkyYtQaBGc

Actually that's just one type of hellacious noise cockatoos can make. They also have a extremely piercing cry that's more one tone that travels for miles outdoors.

Like, literally at least a mile. When I go on bike rides, I can hear Teeka if he is outdoors and screaming from a mile away. Luckily his is a bit more tenor whereas I've heard some Moluccans with a scream like a smoke alarm that is skull splitting. I'll take bone shaking over skull splitting any day.

Eejit fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

social media guru
Jan 18, 2016

by Cowcaster
Do #parrots make good #pets?