Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Manslaughter posted:

Last year we hired new management and their constant badgering of our consulting team to squeeze dollars out of our clients has not only made some of my good friends quit but also lost us several clients.
I love my job but these fucktarded idiots are ruining everything outside my sphere of influence.

well you see efficiency maximizing margins MBA GROWTH OPPORTUNITY blah blah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vibur
Apr 23, 2004
All associates are to refrain from excessive toilet paper usage. Please keep your usage limited to 2 sheets per wipe and 3 wipes per bathroom visit. Additionally, nap time has been moved from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM. Remember you are responsible for bringing your own floor mat and for your own nappy changes.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

vibur posted:

All associates are to refrain from excessive toilet paper usage. Please keep your usage limited to 2 sheets per wipe and 3 wipes per bathroom visit. Additionally, nap time has been moved from 1:00 PM to 2:00 PM. Remember you are responsible for bringing your own floor mat and for your own nappy changes.

From my work bathroom. This is on Wall Street.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

NEW TP POOL REGULATIONS
I've been asked to distribute the new regulations regarding office pool displays. The enclosed memo is a new subchapter of the EBGOC Procedure Manual, replacing the old subchapter entitled PHYSICAL PLANT/CALIFORNIA/ LOS ANGELES/BUILDINGS/OFFICE AREAS/PHYSICAL LAYOUT REGULATIONS/EMPLOYEE INPUT/ GROUP ACTIVITIES.

The old subchapter was a flat prohibition on the use of office space or time for "pool" activities of any kind, whether permanent (e.g., coffee pool) or one-time (e.g., birthday parties).

This prohibition still applies, but a single, one-time exception has now been made for any office that wishes to pursue a joint bathroom-tissue strategy.

By way of introduction, let me just make a few general comments on this subject. The problem of distributing bathroom tissue to workers presents inherent challenges for any
office management system due to the inherent unpredictability of usage-not every facility usage transaction necessitates the use of bathroom tissue, and when it is used, the amount needed (number of squares) may vary quite widely from person to person and, for a given person, from one transaction to the next. This does not even take into account the occasional use of bathroom tissue for unpredictable/creative purposes such as applying/removing cosmetics, beverage-spill management, etc. For this reason, rather than trying to package bathroom tissue in small one-transaction packets (as is done with premoistened towelettes, for example), which can be wasteful in some cases and limiting in other cases, it has been traditional to package this product in bulk distribution units whose size exceeds the maximum amount of squares that an individual could conceivably use in a single transaction (barring force majeure). This reduces to a minimum the number of transactions in which the distribution unit is depleted (the roll runs out) during the transaction, a situation that can lead to emotional stress for the affected employee.

However, it does present the manager with some challenges in that the distribution unit is rather bulky and must be repeatedly used by a number of different individuals if it is not to be wasted.

Since the implementation of Phase XVII of the Austerity Program, employees have been allowed to bring their own bathroom tissue from home. This approach is somewhat bulky and redundant, as every worker usually brings their own roll.

Some offices have attempted to meet this challenge by instituting bathroom-tissue pools.
Without overgeneralizing, it may be stated that an inherent and irreducible feature of any bathroom-tissue pool implemented at the office level, in an environment (i.e., building) in which comfort stations are distributed on a per-floor basis (i.e., in which several offices share a single facility) is that provision must be made within the confines of the individual office for temporary stationing of bathroom tissue distribution units (i.e., rolls). This follows from the fact that if the BTDUs (rolls) are stationed, while inactive, outside of the purview of the controlling office (i.e., the office that has collectively purchased the BTDU)-that is, if the BTDUS are stored, for example, in a lobby area or within the facility in which they are actually utilized, they will be subject to pilferage and "shrinkage" as unauthorized persons consume them, either as part of a conscious effort to pilfer or out of an honest misunderstanding, i.e., a belief that the BTDUs are being provided free of charge by the operating agency (in this case the United States Government), or as the result of necessity, as in the case of a beverage spill that is encroaching on sensitive electronic equipment and whose management will thus brook no delay. This fact has led certain offices (which shall go unnamed-you know who you are, guys) to establish makeshift BTDU depots that also serve as pool-contribution collection points. Usually, these depots take the form of a table, near the door closest to the facility, on which the BTDUs are stacked or otherwise deployed, with a bowl or some other receptacle in which participants may place their contributions, and typically with a sign or other attention-getting device (such as a stuffed animal or cartoon) requesting donations. A quick glance at the current regulations will show that placement of such a display/depot violates the procedure manual. However, in the interests of employee hygiene, morale, and group spirit-building, my higher-ups have agreed to make a one-time exception in the regulations for this purpose.

As with any part of the procedure manual, new or old, it is your responsibility to be thoroughly familiar with this material. Estimated reading time for this document is 15.62 minutes (and don't think we won't check). Please make note of the major points made in this document, as follows:

BTDU depot/displays are now allowed, on a trial basis, with the new policy to be reviewed in six months.
These must be operated on a voluntary, pool-type basis, as described in the subchapter on employee pools. (Note: This means keeping books and tallying all financial transactions.)
BTDUS must be brought in by the employees (not shipped through the mailroom) and are subject to all the usual search-and-seizure regulations.
Scented BTDUs are prohibited as they may cause allergic reactions, wheezing, etc. in some persons.
Cash poo1 donations, as with all monetary transactions within the U.S. Government, must
use official U.S. currency-no yen or Kongbucks.

Naturally, this will lead to a bulk problem if people try to use the donation bucket as a dumping ground for bundles of old billion and trillion dollar bills. The Buildings and Grounds people are worried about waste-disposal problems and the potential fire hazard that may ensue if large piles of billions and trillions begin to mount up. Therefore, a key feature of the new regulation is that the donation bucket must be emptied every day-more often if an excessive build-up situation is seen to develop.

In this vein, the B & C people would also like me to point out that many of you who have excess U.S. currency to get rid of have been trying to kill two birds with one stone by using old billions as bathroom tissue. While creative, this approach has two drawbacks:

1) It clogs the plumbing, and
2) It constitutes defacement of U.S. currency, which is a federal crime.

DON'T DO IT.
Join your office bathroom-tissue pool instead. It's easy, it's hygienic, and it's legal.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bob Morales posted:

New cell phone policy

Good morning ABC Corp managers,

With input given by associates during a recent HR round-table focused on personal cell phone/texting usage and the topic discussed at the leadership meeting, the following guideline has been added to our associate handbook:

Personal cell phones – Associates are to refrain from using personal cell phones or texting during working hours. Cell phones are to be kept out-of-sight (off desk, stored away). Use of personal cell phones is reserved for break and lunch areas. Please seek supervisor’s approval for a special circumstance involving the use of your personal cell phone during working hours. All associates may be reached via our main phone line for emergency type calls.

**Please note we have deleted the requirement to have the phone “turned off’.

Listening to music via cell phone is allowed; only one ear plug please.

If you have any questions; please do not hesitate to contact me.

:witch:

Just install one of the jillion apps/Chrome extensions that tie into your cell phone and text away! Hell, it will even look more like work now!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

When deciding whether I want to take a new client on I look for two things that tell me whether we're dealing with a bunch of children: staples/paperclips in the carpet and restroom cleanliness. If they can't use the bathroom better than a 3 year old or even be bothered to throw poo poo into the trash, what hope is there getting them to do more important things correctly?

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

nitrogen posted:

Back at ${job}-1 i had this happen constantly between HP and redhat.

It got so bad that we ended up pulling any HP drivers from our installs and only going with redhat drivers. HP's support ended up getting a lot better after that, after we theatened to leave them as a vendor (we bought like 100 servers at minimum every month) so they actually upped their game, but gently caress that poo poo.

God, so glad we have a much better relationship with Red Hat.

Inspector_666 posted:

Just install one of the jillion apps/Chrome extensions that tie into your cell phone and text away! Hell, it will even look more like work now!

Don't have a restriction at work, but I still use these for ease of using my phone.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

vibur posted:

Please note the requirement to never defecate has been deleted.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

Join your office bathroom-tissue pool instead. It's easy, it's hygienic, and it's legal.

It takes a certain kind of person to work for The Feds. Like YT's mother.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

flosofl posted:

Isn't the whole point of access to an "external website" so they can access their pay stubs and tax forms from home? That's how our system work. I can access it at work, but I pretty much only need to when I'm at home working on my financials or taxes.

They don't have the username and password for the external site taped to their monitor at home, only at work.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

go3 posted:

When deciding whether I want to take a new client on I look for two things that tell me whether we're dealing with a bunch of children: staples/paperclips in the carpet and restroom cleanliness. If they can't use the bathroom better than a 3 year old or even be bothered to throw poo poo into the trash, what hope is there getting them to do more important things correctly?

When I was a consultant in NYC, I'd travel all over the city to new small offices. I'd walk in and know in two seconds how my next month would play out. In 2013 I went to a client that had a Windows 2000 server sitting on the floor in a closet, CRT monitors on all their desktops, and all white box PCs. They all smoked inside the office, and the users did some kind of graphic design, and someone how shared large art files via this file share.

I'd dealt with a ton of clients like that, and they all just rotated through IT providers and never paid, and would just complain about the onsite support to get out of bills.

My manager/account receivable guy basically assumed I was an idiot and would never back me up when a client complained. He'd usually call me into his office, and say "$CLIENT has complained about your bill. You put four hours, but they say you were there for three and a half but also ate a sandwich while you worked, so they don't want to pay for your lunch hour. You need to call them and work out your time with them or they won't pay the bill. I'd have to call them myself. It was awful.

So this client called us because their server kept locking up. I looked at it, logged into it, and when I saw how long it too to log in, I said "Nope, this needs to be replaced, we can't help with this." I fixed a couple printer driver issues on the user PC and left. A couple days later the server died for good, and they flipped out and said I broke it when I was there. My manager didn't back me up and got angry at me for breaking it.

I went back over there, and after being yelled at by the client I asked where the license or install disk for their mission critical software was, and they didn't have it. The software company wasn't around any more, so there was no way to recover it or reinstall it. Of course this was also my fault since I couldnt' just "recover it from the hard drive."

Ugh.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

ConfusedUs posted:

NEW TP POOL REGULATIONS

<words>
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that read Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suites.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Dell rep not finishing an order when I said add wireless and ship it for a desktop on Friday. I emailed and called on Tuesday and Wednesday I gave them all of Monday. Today I figured out who their manager was and got things settled because seriously it's been almost a week and the computer is for a C-level who is on me about the ETA.

I get a call 20 minutes later from the rep who gives me sass about wanting wireless in a desktop and thinking I'm just loving with them and that they don't take "joke order". I explain that it's for a C-level and they asked me to add wireless when I gave them the quote to approve for their special snowflake desktop.

I think I'm going to find a new place to buy from for next time. I'd have found one this time but the quote was already approved with + the non discounted price for wireless. I did get an extra 10% off for the delay. This is a dell business rep and we historically order thousands of dollars worth of stuff from them each year.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I wonder if this actually makes people less likely to flush

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Manslaughter posted:

I wonder if this actually makes people less likely to flush

The only time I haven't flushed is when I went to and the flusher was on the floor broken. I took the flusher to maintenance and told them I took a piss and found this on the floor. They had to go to the hardware store and buy a new flusher someone broke that thing good.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

pixaal posted:

Dell rep not finishing an order

Their support has only been as good as the rep you get in my experience and an awful rep can make them a pain to deal with. All the good ones seem to get promoted right away or leave for greener pastures. Anyway Dell has expanded who can resell for them now it seems like. The big one that comes to mind is CDW. If you already have a sales rep there it might be worth giving them a call to see what they can do for you.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Che Delilas posted:

Look, you have to stop listing your first job as "Computer Janitor." It's funny to everyone here but it confuses the LinkedIn algorithms.

My job title at my student job was "Operator" (this was in 2008) because everything about that department screamed 90s, and for the longest time Linkedin kept giving me "Boiler operator" jobs.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Wall Street being well known for its population of philanthropists and others who give a poo poo (heh) about anyone but themselves.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

ConfusedUs posted:

NEW TP POOL REGULATIONS
I've been asked to distribute the new regulations regarding office pool displays. The enclosed memo is a new subchapter of the EBGOC Procedure Manual, replacing the old subchapter entitled PHYSICAL PLANT/CALIFORNIA/ LOS ANGELES/BUILDINGS/OFFICE AREAS/PHYSICAL LAYOUT REGULATIONS/EMPLOYEE INPUT/ GROUP ACTIVITIES.

The old subchapter was a flat prohibition on the use of office space or time for "pool" activities of any kind, whether permanent (e.g., coffee pool) or one-time (e.g., birthday parties).

This prohibition still applies, but a single, one-time exception has now been made for any office that wishes to pursue a joint bathroom-tissue strategy.

By way of introduction, let me just make a few general comments on this subject. The problem of distributing bathroom tissue to workers presents inherent challenges for any
office management system due to the inherent unpredictability of usage-not every facility usage transaction necessitates the use of bathroom tissue, and when it is used, the amount needed (number of squares) may vary quite widely from person to person and, for a given person, from one transaction to the next. This does not even take into account the occasional use of bathroom tissue for unpredictable/creative purposes such as applying/removing cosmetics, beverage-spill management, etc. For this reason, rather than trying to package bathroom tissue in small one-transaction packets (as is done with premoistened towelettes, for example), which can be wasteful in some cases and limiting in other cases, it has been traditional to package this product in bulk distribution units whose size exceeds the maximum amount of squares that an individual could conceivably use in a single transaction (barring force majeure). This reduces to a minimum the number of transactions in which the distribution unit is depleted (the roll runs out) during the transaction, a situation that can lead to emotional stress for the affected employee.

However, it does present the manager with some challenges in that the distribution unit is rather bulky and must be repeatedly used by a number of different individuals if it is not to be wasted.

Since the implementation of Phase XVII of the Austerity Program, employees have been allowed to bring their own bathroom tissue from home. This approach is somewhat bulky and redundant, as every worker usually brings their own roll.

Some offices have attempted to meet this challenge by instituting bathroom-tissue pools.
Without overgeneralizing, it may be stated that an inherent and irreducible feature of any bathroom-tissue pool implemented at the office level, in an environment (i.e., building) in which comfort stations are distributed on a per-floor basis (i.e., in which several offices share a single facility) is that provision must be made within the confines of the individual office for temporary stationing of bathroom tissue distribution units (i.e., rolls). This follows from the fact that if the BTDUs (rolls) are stationed, while inactive, outside of the purview of the controlling office (i.e., the office that has collectively purchased the BTDU)-that is, if the BTDUS are stored, for example, in a lobby area or within the facility in which they are actually utilized, they will be subject to pilferage and "shrinkage" as unauthorized persons consume them, either as part of a conscious effort to pilfer or out of an honest misunderstanding, i.e., a belief that the BTDUs are being provided free of charge by the operating agency (in this case the United States Government), or as the result of necessity, as in the case of a beverage spill that is encroaching on sensitive electronic equipment and whose management will thus brook no delay. This fact has led certain offices (which shall go unnamed-you know who you are, guys) to establish makeshift BTDU depots that also serve as pool-contribution collection points. Usually, these depots take the form of a table, near the door closest to the facility, on which the BTDUs are stacked or otherwise deployed, with a bowl or some other receptacle in which participants may place their contributions, and typically with a sign or other attention-getting device (such as a stuffed animal or cartoon) requesting donations. A quick glance at the current regulations will show that placement of such a display/depot violates the procedure manual. However, in the interests of employee hygiene, morale, and group spirit-building, my higher-ups have agreed to make a one-time exception in the regulations for this purpose.

As with any part of the procedure manual, new or old, it is your responsibility to be thoroughly familiar with this material. Estimated reading time for this document is 15.62 minutes (and don't think we won't check). Please make note of the major points made in this document, as follows:

BTDU depot/displays are now allowed, on a trial basis, with the new policy to be reviewed in six months.
These must be operated on a voluntary, pool-type basis, as described in the subchapter on employee pools. (Note: This means keeping books and tallying all financial transactions.)
BTDUS must be brought in by the employees (not shipped through the mailroom) and are subject to all the usual search-and-seizure regulations.
Scented BTDUs are prohibited as they may cause allergic reactions, wheezing, etc. in some persons.
Cash poo1 donations, as with all monetary transactions within the U.S. Government, must
use official U.S. currency-no yen or Kongbucks.

Naturally, this will lead to a bulk problem if people try to use the donation bucket as a dumping ground for bundles of old billion and trillion dollar bills. The Buildings and Grounds people are worried about waste-disposal problems and the potential fire hazard that may ensue if large piles of billions and trillions begin to mount up. Therefore, a key feature of the new regulation is that the donation bucket must be emptied every day-more often if an excessive build-up situation is seen to develop.

In this vein, the B & C people would also like me to point out that many of you who have excess U.S. currency to get rid of have been trying to kill two birds with one stone by using old billions as bathroom tissue. While creative, this approach has two drawbacks:

1) It clogs the plumbing, and
2) It constitutes defacement of U.S. currency, which is a federal crime.

DON'T DO IT.

Such a good book.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

porktree posted:

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that read Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suites.

While Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits is a fun and good book, I'm fairly certain the TP POOL memo is from Snow Crash

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

flosofl posted:

While Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits is a fun and good book, I'm fairly certain the TP POOL memo is from Snow Crash

The best part of that is the Catch-22 that appears when they analyze the time you took to read it. Slower than average? You're getting hung up on minor details. Faster than average? You're missing important details. Exactly on time? You're a smartass and need attitude counseling.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

FISHMANPET posted:

My job title at my student job was "Operator" (this was in 2008) because everything about that department screamed 90s, and for the longest time Linkedin kept giving me "Boiler operator" jobs.

Yeah, this kind of thing is why you don't put your official title on your resume/linkedin. You put the best/most common title for the type and level of work that you did so that you can get through idiot automated keyword screening and idiot front line HR.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

flosofl posted:

Well gently caress me, I read them both back to back about 2 months ago and totally mis-identified the quote.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

sfwarlock posted:

Politics, budgets, and budget politics.

Depts A, B and C all use a Thing. All benefit from Thing. Thing works just fine for A and B, but C needs a better Thing. So C opens a project with IT to get Thing replaced with a better Thing, a Thing+.

IT proceeds to charge against C's budget for the cost of Thing+.

C's director argues that because A, B and C all use and benefit from Thing+, they should split the cost of the replacement between the three budgets.

A's director weighs in at this point and notes that they don't need the Thing+, they're happy with the Thing, and they're not paying for a third of an new Thing+ that they don't need.

C's director lets him know that they (C) plan to use the Thing much more heavily in 2016 and hints that this may make it unusable for everyone unless it's the Thing+.

A's director notes he doesn't appreciate the Thing being held hostage in this way, nor his budget being dragged in behind C's plans, and that C should pay the cost of the consequences of C's heavier use.

B's director, at this point, decides to sidestep the whole controversy; the whole Thing+ should be charged to IT's budget and she informs Accounting of same. When confronted, she sarcastically asks if we next intend to charge departments for the printer pages each uses, rather than just paying for printer paper out of our budget.

(Never mind that Office Admin buys printer supplies.)

IT proposes a 25%/25%/50% split, in alphabetical order. C then decides they don't need a Thing+ to share, he is by dammit going to get his own Thing and the other two departments can share the other Thing.

That's where it left off at 18.00 today.

I'm half expecting to come in tomorrow to find out that C called some shady consultants (or his nephew who's "good with computers") and in a month there will be a crappy Thing that IT has to support...

IT has it's own budget? That's amazing.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

You guys aren't alone, hahaha.

zen death robot posted:

Oh yeah in other news I finally managed to figure out the password to the ancient load balancer so I actually have a real network map instead of just making educated guesses around that thing.

It's impossible to find documentation for it because it was made sometime around 1998.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ynglaur posted:

I wasn't aware it was possible to quantify blood, caffeine, and nigh-lethal alcoholism into a monetary value.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Ynglaur posted:

IT having a separate budget can be awful though if it's not properly protected. Marketing and Sales somehow see it as free money if their request involves technology.

:downs: We need a new web server in a DMZ to serve targeted ads to our website portal. The software to do this was bundled in with our last major vendor upgrade so we don't have to spend any money on it
:argh: Web server costs X, we don't have a DMZ because we don't allow incoming connections, we'll need a separate firewall appliance and a switch, service contracts for all 3. You're looking at $$$
:downs: B-but servers and network equipment are from your budget. We don't have those costs budgeted because it's technology!
:argh: Then I guess you're not going to use this 'free service' you got because we're not paying for your projects. Try contacting us first before going forward with this poo poo next time :fuckoff:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

"Hey Bob, here's the quote from some fly-by-night security company to install a lovely no-name DVR and some converters for our existing cameras to work over IP. Will this work okay?"

Sure, it will work...but you've crossed the ethernet switch off the line items. You think they're just going to plug it into our network? I only have so many ports, and depending on where the cameras are they might not be powered...

"We don't need it. We're trying to save money."

The guy needs 5 ports. 1 for the DVR and 3 for the camera encoders. I told the owner's kid who gave me the quote that we only have so many ports and they're going to have to buy that switch at some point.

"You should have told us that when we got the quote"

I did, you dumbass.

I called the guy to discuss installation and stuff on Tuesday He said he was going to come out that day but they were missing some rackmount parts and were waiting for them to be delivered. I get an email this morning (Friday):

"Bob. Why hasn't the new camera system been installed yet?"

Your guess is as good as mine. They were waiting on parts last I heard. It's not my project.

"Can they come out next Tuesday?"

Nope. We're 1 person short the whole week because of jury duty and we've got training classes for the ERP system the whole day. We can't babysit your monkey installers for half the day. How's next Monday sound?

"Nope, they're busy that day. Well what about next Tuesday or Wednesday?"

Consultants on-site all day. Can't do it. How's Thursday sound?

"FINE. YOU'RE REALLY HOLDING THIS PROJECT UP, BOB :argh:"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
One of my desktop people blew up on the Vice president of IT and is getting fired today. I believe his grave offense was to joke about her food stinking during lunch time at her desk and she went off the rails at him.

Wasn't my call to fire her and I don't understand why she chose him to blow up on of all people, but you just can't do that in corporate life. She has chosen to go all scorched earth in her separation meeting. Supposedly I don't do anything but play video games all day (I suspect she saw twitch.tv on one of my monitors once or something) and is now accusing other people in the office of sexual harassment and racism.

I am at a loss. This was a situation where I was going to let her put me as a reference for her work ethic in which I probably wouldn't say a negative thing about her. Now I am finding it hard to help her at all.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Sickening posted:

One of my desktop people blew up on the Vice president of IT and is getting fired today. I believe his grave offense was to joke about her food stinking during lunch time at her desk and she went off the rails at him.

Wasn't my call to fire her and I don't understand why she chose him to blow up on of all people, but you just can't do that in corporate life. She has chosen to go all scorched earth in her separation meeting. Supposedly I don't do anything but play video games all day (I suspect she saw twitch.tv on one of my monitors once or something) and is now accusing other people in the office of sexual harassment and racism.

I am at a loss. This was a situation where I was going to let her put me as a reference for her work ethic in which I probably wouldn't say a negative thing about her. Now I am finding it hard to help her at all.

And millennials wonder why no one wants to hire them...

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Skandranon posted:

OK Gramps, let's not blame everything on Kids These Days. There are bad employees in every generation.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Aunt Beth posted:

OK Gramps, let's not blame everything on Kids These Days. There are bad employees in every generation.

Wait until she gets to all the microaggressions in the company wiki.

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
We have a sign in our office that says "SCCM HAS WORKED [ x ] DAYS WITHOUT CRASHING"

I don't think it has ever been higher than 7 since the sign got put up. It's currently at -3. It's been crashing multiple times a day for the last week.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Maniaman posted:

We have a sign in our office that says "SCCM HAS WORKED [ x ] DAYS WITHOUT CRASHING"

I don't think it has ever been higher than 7 since the sign got put up. It's currently at -3. It's been crashing multiple times a day for the last week.
One of my customers has a warehouse management system that's been quite unstable since it was implemented. They had a similar sign on their main monitoring screens, "IT HAS BEEN [x] DAYS WITHOUT A $PRODUCT ISSUE." Management saw and got upset that either the product was being maligned or IT wasn't taking things seriously enough, so the display was then changed to "IT HAS BEEN [x] DAYS SINCE THIS COUNTER WAS RESET."

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It wouldn't happen to be the warehouse management system that is named after the geographical organizational rings around the earth, would it? Because that software is Hot loving Garbage and there isn't a day that goes by that we don't have some sort of issue. I've put in so many bandaids, thank God we're moving to the global SAP platform theoretically by the end of the year, then it's not my problem.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Skandranon posted:

Aunt Beth posted:

Yeah lets not go all scorched earth on an entire generation based off of one employee.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Sickening posted:

Yeah lets not go all scorched earth on an entire generation based off of one employee.

Is said employee bringing all this stuff up verbally in their exit, or have they started trying to drag people down via email too? More curiosity than anything, I'd love nothing more than to hear you got a call from someone on her behalf as a reference, and basically said "yeah, she's an unprofessional idiot who got fired for insulting the VP of IT, then spread rumors around the office about all her co-workers. Hire at your own risk". Or even hear that they get denied unemployment because they got fired for cause and aren't eligible, a nice double gently caress-you from the company.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Ozz81 posted:

Is said employee bringing all this stuff up verbally in their exit, or have they started trying to drag people down via email too? More curiosity than anything, I'd love nothing more than to hear you got a call from someone on her behalf as a reference, and basically said "yeah, she's an unprofessional idiot who got fired for insulting the VP of IT, then spread rumors around the office about all her co-workers. Hire at your own risk". Or even hear that they get denied unemployment because they got fired for cause and aren't eligible, a nice double gently caress-you from the company.

I wouldn't give someone a bad reference due to legal issues that can come up. Even if you are telling the truth you can get into legal trouble and end up with a canned court mandated script to say when asked for a reference. I've always been told that saying "Yes I worked with X for Y time, I don't feel comfortable giving them a reference" is code for they are poo poo heels don't hire them and are okay legally.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

pixaal posted:

I wouldn't give someone a bad reference due to legal issues that can come up.

This has been and continues to be incredibly hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005
poo poo not pissing me off today...

Uninstalling Flash company wide. Felt great to highlight all the computers in the PDQ Deploy console and deploy the Flash removal package :D Still not quite as good as doing the same thing with Java though...