Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So your counter argument is that the PT can not be read?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

Come on. The dude who brought it up was accusing SMg of using these sources as a form of "rhetorical judo" to confound people who argued against his theories. This wasn't a situation where someone brought up an argument in good faith and other people poo poo on it to be obnoxious, the guy was specifically bringing up the subject to discredit SMg.

I'm inclined to agree that SMG has little care for converting others, and does prefer to go for abstract and dense readings which result in posts most people tend to skim past. At least, that is my experience.

To head off a few responses: I would say that offers to better explain his readings are disingenuous, offered to make the accuser declare themself a dullard. It also does not approach the core complaint; that it's not that the dense and obtuse verbiage is confusing, but that it causes people to not engage with the reading who might otherwise try.

Again, just my experience; I don't speak for the accuser or anyone else, but I know that I tend to skip SMG posts and Bomberguy repetitions because I derive little enjoyment from such strained (not bad, or that they are wrong for being so) and unnecessarily long readings, especially since I've rarely seen them reply to an effort post engaging with the counter-reading or critique (let alone one in good faith). For a comparison: Effectronica and Cnut's readings are more fun to engage due to being blunt, accessible, and active in engaging with even minor critiques and readings.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 22, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
https://fat.gfycat.com/UnlinedHighAnt.webm
gif ver

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Another .GIF, but I got the "Employeeeeeeees!" bit.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
40MB tho...

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Neurolimal posted:

I'm inclined to agree that SMG has little care for converting others, and does prefer to go for abstract and dense readings which result in posts most people tend to skim past. At least, that is my experience.

To head off a few responses: I would say that offers to better explain his readings are disingenuous, offered to make the accuser declare themself a dullard. It also does not approach the core complaint; that it's not that the dense and obtuse verbiage is confusing, but that it causes people to not engage with the reading who might otherwise try.

Sure, but I was responding specifically to calling a few people "insanely petty" for mocking the original post, and phrasing it as if they were attacking the "philosophy is full of jargon" argument and not the "SMg is full of poo poo because of these wikipedia articles" part of the argument.

Like I agree with everything you wrote here, but it's also bullshit to claim that SMg is just blowing wind, without even challenging what he is actually saying. He's just saying "welp these two philosophers you quoted have no merit so therefore you don't". It's even sneakier rhetorical bullshit than what he is accusing SMg of.

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 22, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Perfect, thank you so much. :D

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

Sure, but I was responding specifically to calling a few people "insanely petty" for mocking the original post, and phrasing it as if they were attacking the "philosophy is full of jargon" argument and not the "SMg is full of poo poo because of these wikipedia articles" part of the argument.

Like I agree with everything you wrote here, but it's also bullshit to claim that SMg is just blowing wind, without even challenging what he is actually saying. He's just saying "welp these two philosophers you quoted have no merit so therefore you don't". It's even sneakier rhetorical bullshit than what he is accusing SMg of.

That's fair. I'l admit that it was pretty early (for me) so I was skimming enough to take his post as its own thing outside of criticizing SMG's readings on their validity.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

I am not good at animated .GIFs.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

Yes, Anakin gets a choice to cut all ties and live in a vortex forever managing a couple Force fairies (a Dark Side and a Light Side fairy), or to go on living out his life the normal way. At one point the Dark Side fairy shows him that he will become Darth Vader. Anakin ends up "balancing" the Force inside the vortex by killing all the fairies.
Then his memory gets wiped in the end and apparently him and Obi Wan never mention this whole thing to the Jedi Council, or no one cares, or they all get their memories wiped or something so it was all meaningless!
I say "fairy" because I don't know what else to call them, they are like inhuman SuperJedi who can travel through time and space, and they locked themselves in the vortex because they would rip the universe apart if they ever got out.
It was a little weird.

It was a really bad episode

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Guy A. Person posted:

In the history of this thread, smg has been seriously challenged rather than merely accused of "just blowing wind" and every single time his replies are pure sophistry, deflecting serious counter-argument with straight up obscurantism and so forth. Those two thinkers form the entire basis of SMG's line of reasoning, and to assault them is an important piece of understanding how SMG's arguments are castles made of sand.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

CountFosco posted:

I think you're giving the pro-prequel side of the discussion way, way, way too much credit.

Not at all. Compare Cnut the Great, who deservedly has built a posting career on positively and enthusiastically talking about images from Star Wars and comparing them to other films within and without the series, and the short-lived reign of prequel-hating antipope Tezzor, whose wall'o'text shitposts included such insights as "Padme is an assassination target, why come she is sitting next to a window?!" and a frankly horrific misunderstanding of the rule of thirds in composition. Somehow these terrible posts still inspired dipshit cheerleading from half the thread.

SMG could undoubtedly break his ideas down into more manageable chunks, but somehow I don't think that will stop the likes of Phylodox or jivjov saying "Yeah but the characters were bad!" or "But Tatooine isn't Jakku?" No offence, guys.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Offence taken?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Lt. Danger posted:

Not at all. Compare Cnut the Great, who deservedly has built a posting career on positively and enthusiastically talking about images from Star Wars and comparing them to other films within and without the series, and the short-lived reign of prequel-hating antipope Tezzor, whose wall'o'text shitposts included such insights as "Padme is an assassination target, why come she is sitting next to a window?!" and a frankly horrific misunderstanding of the rule of thirds in composition. Somehow these terrible posts still inspired dipshit cheerleading from half the thread.

SMG could undoubtedly break his ideas down into more manageable chunks, but somehow I don't think that will stop the likes of Phylodox or jivjov saying "Yeah but the characters were bad!" or "But Tatooine isn't Jakku?" No offence, guys.

Tezzor was hilarious and contributed more to this thread than anyone. I miss him.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Neurolimal posted:

These are insanely petty and emotional responses to suggesting that philosophy might hold no regards to being easily readable.

Zizek isn't going to powerlevel you to Philosopher Comrade if you flippantly dismiss enough minor criticisms on the internet.
They wrote that Lacan had been completely debunked. I responded to what they wrote, with a bit of sarcasm.

There's a big difference between what they wrote and what you think they wrote. We might disagree on things often but please don't belabor this point by shifting the goalposts.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
So I think Rey is Luke's daughter AND Obi-Wan's Granddaughter. The woman Obi-Wan shacked up with? a Clone of Palpatine's Daughter.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

You could just skip the Zizek quotes, and read the other stuff he writes around them. The text he writes himself is pretty consistently hilarious, and doesn't need Zizek above and below it:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

This is precisely how Lucas defines "The Force": it is a piece of poo poo that attaches itself to you, terrifying you, indifferent to your concerns.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

So much tone policing and posting about posting! The worst thread bogeyman SMG is going to do to you is accuse you of not liking, or misunderstanding, Star Wars. :iceburn: Let go of your hatred and :justpost: things you have noticed about Star Wars.

Back to Maz: I think my concern with her centricity is how interrelated everybody else is, compared to her. Aside from the "Chewie's girlfriend" joke and that Han knows about her in advance, she exists nearly completely apart from Star Wars movie continuity; the only other notable exception is that she is one of the three collectors of Star Wars movie continuity memorabilia. It's not a problem that she's so disconnected per se, but that she is so pivotal and nowhere near as connected as the other major players in TFA. She is older than Yoda and, by not being part of the Jedi order, beyond him. I think her cantina is thematically closest to the Coruscant bar in Attack of the Clones: going where ordinary people drink seems to be unusual and risky for the marginal protagonists in Star Wars movies.

So Takodana is a transition between the two wastelands of Jakku and Starkiller. A non-aligned cantina stands in for the rest of the galaxy being drawn into the conflict. Maz runs the cantina on transitional Takodana, but they really went out of their way to make her deeply connected: she's been doing it in one place for a millennium, it's made of stone, and to drive the point home, the bar's flashing neon sign is a stone monument in her likeness. Takodana is Maz. I appreciate Neurolimal's idea that she is a transitional view of the Force (and that will be neat retroactively for Maz and Takodana if true), but I just don't see it there, at least not in TFA on its own. She is floating there disconnected, actually attempting to latch onto Star Wars as we know it by collecting Luke's lightsaber and feeding it to Rey, right in the middle of the movie. And Rey rejects her -- rejecting, I suppose, Takodana? Doesn't want to pilot with cool guy Han Solo, doesn't want to hang out with the hoi polloi on Takodana, just wants to go back to Jakku? I still don't see why Maz had to be there at all. I can only assume it will be clarified in Star Wars Serial Episode II.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Phylodox posted:

Offence taken?

Unfortunate, but how many times have you and others responded to evidenced explanations about acting style or visual design with "Well, I don't like it"?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Phylodox posted:

I am not good at animated .GIFs.

You can embed .webm and .mp4s on the forums now. Use http://gfycat.com/ and get the direct .webm link instead of embedding 40MB gifs because LOL.

Like so! (clip below is only 540KB)

https://zippy.gfycat.com/ForcefulMistyCanadagoose.webm

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 22, 2016

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Lt. Danger posted:

Unfortunate, but how many times have you and others responded to evidenced explanations about acting style or visual design with "Well, I don't like it"?

I don't think I've ever responded to anything about visual design. And the acting just keeps coming down to personal preference. I ain't got poo poo to do with any all of this conversation, you just leave me out of it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CountFosco posted:

In the history of this thread, smg has been seriously challenged rather than merely accused of "just blowing wind" and every single time his replies are pure sophistry, deflecting serious counter-argument with straight up obscurantism and so forth. Those two thinkers form the entire basis of SMG's line of reasoning, and to assault them is an important piece of understanding how SMG's arguments are castles made of sand.

Ok neat. But everything you've said so far is literally surface level "Hegel and Lacan are chumps, don't listen to them" and not discussing 1) how and where SMg's line of reasoning derives from these two thinkers and 2) how that specific line of reasoning has been proven false, and by whom. Which is a shame, since you seem really knowledgable, much more so than myself. But so far your most informative and interesting post on the subject was, again, straight up "Lacan was not only wrong but also kind of a manipulative dick, and Hegel was hindered by his deism".

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

CountFosco posted:

Firstly, Lacan represents a source of ideas and a point of view in the field of psychiatry. He is not "a field." Unless you're trying to work in academia, you don't really need to pay attention to him, no. Probably his most important idea is that of the "mirror-stage" which is essentially a product of his imagination. There's no real evidence to back up this supposedly scientific piece of psychiatry. Freud is both fairly and unfairly dismissed in this modern era, and if anything Lacan is Freud on steroids. I hated him for his horrible writing which seemed to merely be a tool to dress up his ideas in rhetorical clothing of importance. Doing just a touch of research he seems even more horrible than I had imagined:

http://www.psychiatrie-und-ethik.de/infc/en/Shrink_from_Hell.htm

"He chose to be a psychoanalyst where, instead of elucidating diagnoses, he could impose them. He fastened on Marguerite Pantaine, a tragically deluded woman who had attempted to kill a well-known actress. For a year, he and Marguerite were, according to Roudinesco, ‘inseparable’. (She had no choice, being in detention.) The elaborate story he concocted about her became the basis of an entire theory of the sick soul and formed his doctoral thesis. In the great tradition of psychoanalysis, ‘he listened’, Roudinesco says, ‘to no truths other than those which confirmed his own hypotheses’. More precisely, the truth was that which confirmed his hypothesis: into her case, ‘he projected not only his own theories on madness in women but also his own fantasies and family obsessions’. For this soul-rape Lacan was awarded his doctorate and his reputation was made. To the end of her days, Marguerite remained bitterly resentful of the use he had made of her. With good reason: Lacan’s crackpot theories, partly expropriated from Salvador Dali, probably prolonged her incarceration. To add insult to injury, he ‘borrowed’ all her writings and photographs and refused to give any of them back."

Wikipedia is a good tool for finding out information about topics, and are representative of actual, real things in the world.

Hegel is more important and more legitimate as a philosopher, but should be taken with a grain of salt. His lack of ability to communicate his ideas is a real problem, and this is reflective of his sometimes lack of ability in the communications of others. For example, in my opinion he really misunderstands Heraclitus. Hegel's legacy has been to be a philosopher used by both the left and the right for their own ends, claiming to be misunderstood first by one party, then another. Everyone claims the "real understanding" and therefore a legitimacy of thought. To me, what's important is that Hegel's own philosophy seems to be grounded in a deep sense of deism, and he struggles to make sense of the world given the dim light of scientific thought of his own time.

Lacan's contributions to structural theory and film theory shouldn't really be judged based on his clinical work as a psychoanalyst.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

I'll drop it 'cause I feel like I'm picking on you and that's not fair. Please disregard.

e: fuckin good job starting a new page, i am dumb

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

They wrote that Lacan had been completely debunked. I responded to what they wrote, with a bit of sarcasm.

There's a big difference between what they wrote and what you think they wrote. We might disagree on things often but please don't belabor this point by shifting the goalposts.

Moving the goalposts relates to holding a position until it's disproven, then retreating to a more vague and less radical stance. I haven't done this. I don't care if you've chosen SMG to style after but please use correct terms when imitating intellect.

To add something that isnt metadiscussion:

Have I mentioned that I love these two characters? I love these two characters.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

You've mentioned it before, but why? The alien in particular is just big, brown and bald, like a ton of other new aliens in the film.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

Is there a guy in that walrus man or is he animatronic?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Neurolimal posted:

Where is his mouth? Is it above the horns which are on his chin, or at the horns like mandibles, or at they on his upper lip and his mouth is below?

Also I'm wondering: it seems like an obvious Jabba callback, with this big lug reclining with a lady draped over him. But then she turns out to be the spy, calling in BB8's location. Is this intentionally misleading, making us believe she is in the submissive role and then showing that she is in (some form of) control?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Why you gotta assume he's got a mouth? That's racist, mouth-haver! Check your oral privilege!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Guy A. Person posted:

Where is his mouth? Is it above the horns which are on his chin, or at the horns like mandibles, or at they on his upper lip and his mouth is below?

Also I'm wondering: it seems like an obvious Jabba callback, with this big lug reclining with a lady draped over him. But then she turns out to be the spy, calling in BB8's location. Is this intentionally misleading, making us believe she is in the submissive role and then showing that she is in (some form of) control?

If it was, it was kinda poorly made. If that dude ran the establishment ala Jabba's Palace and then we saw she's secretly First Order, that would be a neat reversal of the Leia as slave element in ROTJ.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He has a mouth. It's right above his little tusks.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Beeez posted:

It's probably Nick Frost or some stupid poo poo like that

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The official book says iirc the big guy is a big game hunter. The Forst Order spy I don't remember but I love her outfit.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Lacan's contributions to structural theory and film theory shouldn't really be judged based on his clinical work as a psychoanalyst.

Mulvey's article "Visual Pleasure and Narrative Cinema" is entirely based on Lacan's flawed mirror theory. Do you fail to see how a flawed psychological theory, when accepted as truth, can lead to a flawed thread of film critical theory? Mulvey had a point in that female objectification was and is a problem, but she fell into the trap that so many theorists fall into: she attempted to construct a universal theory to explain all cinema. She makes assumptions about how people view films that could only make sense if she were a literal telepath.

And we are getting way off track. To properly address the pro-prequel side would require me to purchase the movies, spend time and effort getting screencaps, taking notes, delving deep, and I have no desire to delve into such a vapid poo poo-stain of a movie(s).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So you are posting in the Star Wars movie thread with the intent to not only not talk about Star Wars movies but also not even watch them.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Beeez posted:

It's an animatronic.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

It's an animatronic.

That's what I figured.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

Moving the goalposts relates to holding a position until it's disproven, then retreating to a more vague and less radical stance. I haven't done this. I don't care if you've chosen SMG to style after but please use correct terms when imitating intellect.

You are person who complained about Suicide Squad being "Hot Topic" or no?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

euphronius posted:

So you are posting in the Star Wars movie thread with the intent to not only not talk about Star Wars movies but also not even watch them.

Well I mean you can post in a star wars thread about the four star wars movies people generally accept as good and enjoyable surely. I don't think it's a requirement to have to constantly watch and enjoy the three lovely ones to post in this thread that was created because a good new one came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Come on, man, keep up.

• Locked thread