Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JoeEskimoe
Sep 16, 2007

iyaayas01 posted:

What's your AFSC? Because the answer to that question will determine how true this

is for you

but it's pretty true regardless

I got selected for a pilot slot. Waiting for my class to start. It's pretty chill.

pkells posted:

How much did it suck for the guard guys showing up a week after everyone else?

Not at all from what they said once the program was over. The first week is designed for people with no military background. Even the guardsman with no prior-service came in week two and did fine, though.

The course is easy. How seriously are you going to take a 1st LT or a four/five year Capt yelling at you about... anything really?

JoeEskimoe fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
CP guys always seemed kind of "off." Not in the intel/comm sperg way, but like they were half a second out of phase with reality.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We get the washouts from ATC, and particularly retarded aircrew. Also the long hours in a closet seems to warp people after a while

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Aircrew have developed many complex communications systems specifically to bypass and minimize the damage caused by trusting command post with even the simplest tasks

there's probably a paper in there somewhere but fff

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It's true. Command Post was a constant hindrance. Second only to Airfield Ops. Go loving figure.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

When you guys get an email from the MPF, and it's about something important, do you read it? Say, a PCS NOTIFICATION, or a PROMOTION NOTIFICATION, would you read it? Would you read it if it was color coded, bulletized, tailored specifically to *you* and *your* assignment needs, and formatted in HTML so it could contain tables? If said email had attachments, would you open them and look at those too? Would you sit on it for 5 months and then grow indignant that your assignment was shut off because you didn't do what you were supposed to?

I really need to get a feel for what the air force has become. If you're sent an email from your MPF, do you just loving blow it off until you get a precious FOLLOW UP reminding you about something important you need to do? Has FOLLOW UP shifted the burden from the member to the office of primary responsibility? Is the MPF really to blame because they sent you an email with detailed instructions on how to get your orders, but didn't FOLLOW UP with a grown adult? Has it really become acceptable to fall short of a suspense, then blame the people who told you (and *succeed!*) because they didn't follow up?

Not only did the MPF send you an email, but so did AFPC. One of you guys here just recently PCS'd, so you know what I mean. That automatic notice that tells you to check into vMPF and do your assignment briefing. That briefing tells you *everything* you need to do, and where. Then, the MPF sends you a second email telling you the same thing twice, *and* including all the required documents so you don't have to come see us until it's time to final out! Isn't that great?

Why haven't I gone on a murder/suicide spree yet?

Protons fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 21, 2016

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Protons posted:

When you guys get an email from the MPF, and it's about something important, do you read it? Say, a PCS NOTIFICATION, or a PROMOTION NOTIFICATION, would you read it? Would you read it if it was color coded, bulletized, tailored specifically to *you* and *your* assignment needs, and formatted in HTML so it could contain tables? If said email had attachments, would you open them and look at those too? Would you sit on it for 5 months and then grow indignant that your assignment was shut off because you didn't do what you were supposed to?

I really need to get a feel for what the air force has become. If you're sent an email from your MPF, do you just loving blow it off until you get a precious FOLLOW UP reminding you about something important you need to do? Has FOLLOW UP shifted the burden from the member to the office of primary responsibility? Is the MPF really to blame because they sent you an email with detailed instructions on how to get your orders, but didn't FOLLOW UP with a grown adult? Has it really become acceptable to fall short of a suspense, then blame the people who told you (and *succeed!*) because they didn't follow up?

Not only did the MPF send you an email, but so did AFPC. One of you guys here just recently PCS'd, so you know what I mean. That automatic notice that tells you to check into vMPF and do your assignment briefing. That briefing tells you *everything* you need to do, and where. Then, the MPF sends you a second email telling you the same thing twice, *and* including all the required documents so you don't have to come see us until it's time to final out! Isn't that great?

they don't have time for that because they're working idiot

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Has vMPF been functioning at all during that time? I'll admit I'm out of touch, but since the Navy can't keep our loving network connected to anything I'm not optimistic that the AF has straightened it's own IT poo poo out since I left.

Edit: Found out today I'm in the standby reserve. No idea what that means. I intend to continue using my IRR card at Lowes.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 21, 2016

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Godholio posted:

Has vMPF been functioning at all during that time? I'll admit I'm out of touch, but since the Navy can't keep our loving network connected to anything I'm not optimistic that the AF has straightened it's own IT poo poo out since I left.

whatever it is, it's better than NMCI and the navy equivalent

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Godholio posted:

Edit: Found out today I'm in the standby reserve. No idea what that means. I intend to continue using my IRR card at Lowes.

vMPF functions very often, sorry. I use vMPF daily, several times, and it works 9.9 times out of 10. If it doesn't work, you try again later, or the next day.

krispykremessuck posted:

they don't have time for that because they're working idiot

I really want to hear about this from those of you with :airquote: real jobs in the af :airquote:

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008

Protons posted:

Jesus, this poo poo is exactly why I retrained out of that career field. Months and months of doing that with constant follow ups and I'm the one that gets in trouble because some rear end in a top hat won't read his email because he's "working."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Protons posted:

vMPF functions very often, sorry. I use vMPF daily, several times, and it works 9.9 times out of 10. If it doesn't work, you try again later, or the next day.

I was half joking, half bitching about the Navy.

quote:

I really want to hear about this from those of you with :airquote: real jobs in the af :airquote:

You really need to stop taking this poo poo personally.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Well, sure. That happens. So do other things.

Like, for instance, I got the notification to check into vMPF and do my assignment briefing.

I did the briefing.

And then, every week for the next three months, I continued to get that email. And nobody at the real physical MPF could explain why, or seem to manually override it.

I still PCS'd, but I wouldn't put much faith in vMPF correctly delivering messages to the end user.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Or you can get a dude his dream assignment but you can't prevent him from loving it up and getting it cancelled. I'm messing up my idioms.

Whatever dude, at the end of the day it's not your assignment, so what are you sweating? Do what you can and help those out who can be helped, but if they're flat-out just not doing poo poo just document everything you send to them. Send follow-ups and CC their shirt or commander, so when their assignment inevitably gets cancelled you can toss them a stack of paper showing that their entire chain was at fault and you're golden.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
I'm still getting automated messages from vMPF that I'm overdue for the "SSO debrief" step on my outprocessing checklist

My assignment got turned off like 4 months ago and if I had PCS'd my RNLTD was a month and a half ago.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
If anything, vMPF goes over the top with notifications (I too continued to get the initial assignment brief 100 times after I did it already), so yeah, if that person ignores the 5 million email notifications they are going to get, gently caress em, there is no excuse.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

MPF was pretty good throughout my whole PCS, thanks MPF, the only thing was on the outprocessing checklist there were a few worthless agencies (wtf i have to outprocess AAFES, i don't even have a military star card) but mostly it was easy. I have been as busy on the flightline as the next guy so gently caress em if they say they're working.

except AMXS, those guys get to finish their 12-hour shift and then take care of MPF paperwork after what is normally considered their duty hours, lol maintenance

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Arc Light posted:

Well, sure. That happens. So do other things.

Like, for instance, I got the notification to check into vMPF and do my assignment briefing.

I did the briefing.

And then, every week for the next three months, I continued to get that email. And nobody at the real physical MPF could explain why, or seem to manually override it.

I still PCS'd, but I wouldn't put much faith in vMPF correctly delivering messages to the end user.

That's been a bug for three years. Anyone at the mpf can manually update your assignment acknowledgement date in PDS in 30 seconds. That will stop the emails.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The MPF keeps sending me checklist items for my special needs child that I don't have and by default asked for a narrative only PRF because "that's how the system works"

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

The MPF keeps sending me checklist items for my special needs child that I don't have and by default asked for a narrative only PRF because "that's how the system works"

its you, you're the special needs child

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

go3 posted:

its you, you're the special needs child

e;fb

Reading these stories really makes me feel better about myself professionally. You guys have some poo poo MPf support.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Protons posted:

it was a joke

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

It's impossible to tell in this thread anymore.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

It's impossible to tell in this thread anymore.

It's the Air Force. It's ALL a joke.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

I've had fairly decent MPF support my whole career, but my last PCS from Osan to Yongsan broke the chain. Everyone lost their loving minds trying to figure out if it was a PCA or PCS, made me do a bunch of checklist stuff like I was going back to the states, and also like I was going to Korea for the first time. I eventually busted my initial final out date waiting for some poo poo to get signed and straightened out and forced me to delay my COT. Not a huge deal, I can live with that.

Then at my final out day my counselor (Who, started out poo poo, but when I started going in every day and FTFing with him, started to get stuff done) looked at me, in the eyes and asked "Did you do your pre-deployment shoot?" It wasn't on any of my checklists, vMPF mails, I was cleared by my UDM, I was literally about to get on the bus to go up to Yongsan to in-process the same day in an hour. Also on Osan, they only shoot like the first Wednesday of the month and this was on the first Thursday.

They had to get a letter from my new commander saying 'It's ok, we'll send him down next month to get requalified, fukkin poo poo' just so I could get out of there. So now I just assume there's an inverse correlation between mileage between PCS' and the amount of fuckery involved.

Edit: It was also pretty lol when I turned in my chemgear/IPE on Monday then came back Friday to get it reissued. All the guys in supply were like 'What the gently caress is this poo poo?' I grew accustomed to just shrugging and saying 'I know, right?'

nullscan fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 22, 2016

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Prop Wash posted:

lol maintenance

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

Godholio posted:

It's the Air Force. It's ALL a joke.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One of the funny parts about working Command Post was when random officers would call in but if it wasn't a controller they recognized they'd just hang up and do it themselves

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Posted this in the wrong thread first.

I went on base today to try to get my DD Form 2. The guy kept talking about benefits for 180 days and I can't get an ID because my separation code is MBK. I left thinking "what the gently caress was that guy talking about?" I googled around and a couple guys on reddit said they couldn't get their DD Form 2 until after they were separated. I guess I'll call AFPC next week about it and try to find a friend to get me on base. I don't want benefits, I just want to be able to get on base.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Posted this in the wrong thread first.

I went on base today to try to get my DD Form 2. The guy kept talking about benefits for 180 days and I can't get an ID because my separation code is MBK. I left thinking "what the gently caress was that guy talking about?" I googled around and a couple guys on reddit said they couldn't get their DD Form 2 until after they were separated. I guess I'll call AFPC next week about it and try to find a friend to get me on base. I don't want benefits, I just want to be able to get on base.

That's your separation designation code. MBK simply means you had no military service obligation (MSO) when you separated. KBK, LBK, and JBJ are for kids with bad reenlistment codes who are being separated, involuntarily usually, who still have a service obligation. Think if you enlisted for four years, you owe the .GOV 4 more years of IRR. Look on your 214, and at your RBA Code, if it starts with a 1 or 3 (except 3D and 3E,) and you still have any MSO, you are released. Yours is probably a 1J.

You're thinking about transition assistance program (TAP) status cards. Those give 180 days of benefits to those who are being discharged with good codes, medically retired while they wait on their VA disability status, etc. All that TAMP card does is give you 6 months of benefits while you get your life together or wait for the VA to get you your stuff. If you have a reader you can search MYPERS for the TAP Benefits and Service matrix. That will spell out who gets what, and since you got an MBK, you don't need any benefits in the TAP. You *should* have kept your ID card until it expired, which in some cases can be in the last few months of a member's terminal.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I enlisted for 6 years, I still have two years of IRR left. I don't want the 6 months thing, I want the card that says I'm in the IRR. AFI 36-3026 Table 1.6 says I can get a DD Form 2. Unless I somehow did something that gets me out of IRR.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Looks like a little bit of freezing rain is going to give me a second three day weekend. Time to play with my daughter and then mass amounts of Fallout 4 later.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013
Hey guys, I'm curious, what are my chances of getting a pilot slot from AFROTC?
I just started community college, and I plan to transfer to my local state university which is an AFROTC school.
I believe my community college is also a cross town affiliate of the state university, so I could start now.
Are there certain things (other than maintaining a good gpa and physical standard) I should do to give myself the best chance of getting a pilot slot?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seriously you're better off not getting anywhere near the military but if you really want to be a commercial pilot except worse in every way and then restart your career once your ADSC ends unless you stay for 30 years and accrue a truly ludicrous amount of PIC hours, my officer friends claimed that practice in Cessnas and whatever helped them score well on the test to determine whether they get a rated slot or not

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One of the dipshit officers/ex-officers in this thread will have a better idea than a retard like me though

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Protons posted:

I get so much junk mail that if it's not from a real person, I may delete it, it it may get ruled into my spam folder.

Fergus posted:

Are there certain things (other than maintaining a good gpa and physical standard) I should do to give myself the best chance of getting a pilot slot?
Volunteer, get a PPL.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 26, 2016

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Yeah you can pay for and earn a private pilots license, that gets factored in. It's either that or be a+ #1 bootlicker for the guy running the det.

The military pilot life isn't bad, but airlines are hiring and it's so much less bullshit for the same wage. That has some financial downsides, like a huge upfront cost for all your qualifications, and you'll get paid very little at first, but sooner or later you'll be making more money.

Anyway rotc isn't bad, it's how I got in, but beware that if you get signed to a contract you're in whether or not you get a pilot slot. You may end up services, or contracting, or Intel. Nobody can guarantee you a pilot slot.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Airlines might be hiring now, but that doesn't help him any. The pilot commitment is 8 years starting when you get your wings. So roughly 10 years. And you're 3-4 years away from that.

Without weighing on whether you should join or not, the answer is that if you're going to, don't waste time. ROTC success is based largely on the cadre's opinion of you. If you wait until your junior year to transfer, you're WAY behind the curve. At that point they have 2 years of experience getting to know your peers; those peers have held "leadership" or staff positions, they've been involved in activities, they've gotten the hang of all the uniform gotchas and other basic crap. You're the new guy. And you've got maybe one semester to catch up to everyone else, maybe less. Do the cross-town thing, and be the standout from your school. Most of the others will probably do what they need to, because it's a hassle to get to the main detachment for "extra" activities (they're not extra, DO THEM). Don't dick around in your AS classes. Keep your grades and PT scores up (huge). Volunteer for things, try to get a staff job. A PPL wouldn't hurt.

As mentioned, you sign a contract to become an officer. You don't get your career field until after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Congratulations on your future career as a maintenance officer.

• Locked thread