Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Coolwhoami posted:

Supporting LRM boats would be so much nicer if TAG were togglable. I'm aware ahk scripts/pennies/rocks exist, but it feels slightly unscrupulous to do so, and the penalty incurred by using it to begin with (directly drawing a line to your position while constantly facing your opponent) makes me feel like making them more involved to use is a bit ridiculous.

e: I'm garbage with all mechs.

That's the point of NARC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Oh Snapple! posted:

Playing in larger groups sucks poo poo

GG close I guess.

Bored Grunt
Nov 8, 2009

It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain
If I wanted to be a terrible person and give PGI more money, any opinions on which is the better buy right now between the marauder and warhammer?

I mostly stick to ballistic and wub wub wub.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Bored Grunt posted:

If I wanted to be a terrible person and give PGI more money, any opinions on which is the better buy right now between the marauder and warhammer?

Both seem okay

Marauders are a pain in the rear end to kill

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Bored Grunt posted:

I'd go with the Warhammer for wubs, but the Marauder does ballistics better.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Marauder has a really high hardpoint with it's bigass gun, Warhammer probably has better hitboxes?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Marauder has really nice hitboxes as well. Anecdotally they feel like one of the toughest mechs to crack open when I'm in a Splatlas or Ghostdad

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Pattonesque posted:

Man they're so good. What are you using on them

BJ3 I was using PPCs because of its silly quirks but I've now dumped them in favour of larges, may switch to ERL if we are stuck playing polar all weekend.

BJ1DC w/ 2ML and 4 MPL

The only reason I bought them is to elite the BJ1X because that robot actually is fun - the other two seem crippled by the small engine cap - you don't move fast enough and can't twist fast enough with a 235.

Being in tier 2 and pubdropping in these things has been an utterly miserable experience, I think my team won twice in twenty games :negative:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Banano posted:

BJ3 I was using PPCs because of its silly quirks but I've now dumped them in favour of larges, may switch to ERL if we are stuck playing polar all weekend.

BJ1DC w/ 2ML and 4 MPL

The only reason I bought them is to elite the BJ1X because that robot actually is fun - the other two seem crippled by the small engine cap - you don't move fast enough and can't twist fast enough with a 235.

Being in tier 2 and pubdropping in these things has been an utterly miserable experience, I think my team won twice in twenty games :negative:

The 1x can have a 295 in it

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
I know, I'm doing the others so i can elite that chassis

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Banano posted:

BJ1DC w/ 2ML and 4 MPL

Do 3 LPL with a max engine in the BJ-3, all weapons on the right side

Try 2 AC2/4ML on the -1DC

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I use an AC/5 and 6 MLs on the -DC. It's probably the weakest blackjack variant but it still does good work. The BJ-1 is my go-to for AC/2 based comedy

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Skoll posted:

Don't pug? Try to get things going with goon drops? I don't know what you want me to tell you. I recognize that most pubs are retards, coordination between strangers can be hard, one man generally isn't going to turn the tide of battle, etc etc etc but that doesn't mean that the opportunities aren't there. I bet if we ran a 12 man on Assault or skirmish on Polar with each lance having a role, we might actually dominate. I know that crosses into omg caring and tryhard territory, but it might actually be fun.

i agree with this. It's open enough that pubby herding is more viable, since you can get to anywhere from anywhere.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

Coolwhoami posted:

Supporting LRM boats would be so much nicer if TAG were togglable. I'm aware ahk scripts/pennies/rocks exist, but it feels slightly unscrupulous to do so, and the penalty incurred by using it to begin with (directly drawing a line to your position while constantly facing your opponent) makes me feel like making them more involved to use is a bit ridiculous.

e: I'm garbage with all mechs.

never support lrm mechs because they're bad mechs driven by bad players. players proudly bragging about kitting out a lrm warhawk or ebon jaguar don't deserve to play

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Bored Grunt posted:

I love both my Marauders and Warhammers. My favorites are the MAD-5D and the WHM-7S, just for pure brawling purposes alone.

On a side note, I'm actually... Enjoying the new map a lot more now. Skoll makes a lot of good points. The map forces you to be aware of enemy movement and positioning. Stay low, keep your eyes peeled, sneak around and poke some asses. You can do this with any build.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Cant decide if i should keep the champion Cicada or the ECM one...

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Yolomon Wayne posted:

ECM.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Stringbean posted:

I love both my Marauders and Warhammers. My favorites are the MAD-5D and the WHM-7S, just for pure brawling purposes alone.

On a side note, I'm actually... Enjoying the new map a lot more now. Skoll makes a lot of good points. The map forces you to be aware of enemy movement and positioning. Stay low, keep your eyes peeled, sneak around and poke some asses. You can do this with any build.

He totally missed the reason it actually sucks, it takes 5 minutes most of the time before you even see the enemy, if it were smaller it would be fine but having to trudge across that gigantic map before you get to shoot anyone is just terrible. The map also making GBS threads on brawling builds is also bullshit. Maneuver strategy happens on every map, polar is garbage.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

What in the gently caress do I do with the Wolverine 7D (the one with MASC)? Other than sell it? For the life of me, I can't figure out how I'm supposed to fit this stupid thing out without it being an inferior 6R or just bad.

I guess I could sit on it until the February patch where MASC is supposed to be buffed, but it just seems useless right now.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Keep a 3C. :unsmigghh:

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

novaSphere posted:

What in the gently caress do I do with the Wolverine 7D (the one with MASC)? Other than sell it? For the life of me, I can't figure out how I'm supposed to fit this stupid thing out without it being an inferior 6R or just bad.

I guess I could sit on it until the February patch where MASC is supposed to be buffed, but it just seems useless right now.

The 6K is the only good wolverine unfortunately, the others are p bad.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Can I get an invite to WOL or GIRL , same name as SA

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Washout posted:

He totally missed the reason it actually sucks, it takes 5 minutes most of the time before you even see the enemy, if it were smaller it would be fine but having to trudge across that gigantic map before you get to shoot anyone is just terrible. The map also making GBS threads on brawling builds is also bullshit. Maneuver strategy happens on every map, polar is garbage.

Um no, I'm not missing the reason. I'm sorry you're an impatient autist that needs immediate gratification.

"huuurrr durrrr map is too big I don't like moving my fat rear end across it."

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Skoll posted:

Um no, I'm not missing the reason. I'm sorry you're an impatient autist that needs immediate gratification.

"huuurrr durrrr map is too big I don't like moving my fat rear end across it."

I don't think you know what an autistic is

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

A Curvy Goonette posted:

never support lrm mechs because they're bad mechs driven by bad players. players proudly bragging about kitting out a lrm warhawk or ebon jaguar don't deserve to play

So should I be trolling goons with

A Trenchbucket

A Lurm Back

or the totally sweet WHY'D YOU LEAVE THE BARN DOOR OPEN

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

ZenVulgarity posted:

please don't enable his mental illness

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

ZenVulgarity posted:

Ask him about trains.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Skoll posted:

I'm a stupid idiot.

When it could have just been smaller and exactly the same game play I do get impatient. If it were half the size the games would be exactly the same it just wouldn't take 5+ minutes before you had to start shooting.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Washout posted:

I didn't say all of his points were good. Just most. Though I agree that the map is way too loving big, I wouldn't scale it down too much. Because of how big it is, and how many shallow hills and trenches reside between red and blue spawn - it makes deciding against a flanking maneuver versus a spear point attack something of an option. What ruins the map is pubbies who decide to branch off with 2 or 3 other dudes and split the whole team up between trenches where they can be surrounded and beaten to a mangled mess. But that's really every map.

I'm not here to make this into a white/gold, blue/black dress argument. I find the map, after a week of playing it across different builds to be fun. Other people may not have the same experience. That's cool too. High fives all around!

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Washout posted:

It just needs to be roughly 10-15% smaller, the openess of the map really enables flanks from multiple directions. As I play more of it I think I like it more, it maybe one of the least turtle friendly maps out there.

Feels similar to tourmaline to me overall, instead of rock formations making you take longer routes around you've got hills that can be easily traversed instead.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Bored Grunt posted:

Wait two weeks or so to check out the Rifleman quirks.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

30% AC/10 cooldown, -10% laser heat :v:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Which is the other good Atlas, the D or the S?

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

tarbrush posted:

Which is the other good Atlas, the D or the S?

AS7-S is crazy good. Numbah one dickpuncher brawler.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Endbuster posted:

AS7-S is crazy good. Numbah one dickpuncher brawler.

I have bought an -S and named it Dickpuncher. Thanks!

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

S is better for raw damage, in fact nothing can out-brawl it one on one.

D-DC is better for utility as it has almost as much damage but has ECM to make up for it, which is pretty solid.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Drone_Fragger posted:

S is better for raw damage, in fact nothing can out-brawl it one on one.

D-DC is better for utility as it has almost as much damage but has ECM to make up for it, which is pretty solid.

They both do similar things but while the -S is better at red mist descending suicide charges the -D-DC can get away with the occasional flank

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

For the love of god the Legend-Killer had better get LB-X quirks on par with the other autoshotgun mechs. The problem with the current ones is you can only fit one LB10-X, and they're all slung so low anyway that you can't really pop out of nowhere with them. But a robot straddling the medium/heavy divide in terms of agility that has two of them mounted high in the arms? I just want to pretend to contribute- poking with the large lasers- until the fight has ground out most of the armor on the field, and then justify the rad paintjob on that thing with two fast-firing internal-shredding boomsticks.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Sard posted:

For the love of god the Legend-Killer had better get LB-X quirks on par with the other autoshotgun mechs. The problem with the current ones is you can only fit one LB10-X, and they're all slung so low anyway that you can't really pop out of nowhere with them. But a robot straddling the medium/heavy divide in terms of agility that has two of them mounted high in the arms? I just want to pretend to contribute- poking with the large lasers- until the fight has ground out most of the armor on the field, and then justify the rad paintjob on that thing with two fast-firing internal-shredding boomsticks.

The CN9-D has crazy LB-X quirks and it's still not great

TWO of them firing that quickly though, with maybe a reduction in spread? Might be a different story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Pair up a DDC and an S for the best of both ghostdadding and dickpunching. Also you get to make silly mumble shittalk about having two dads. Truly the best of both worlds.

• Locked thread