Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Bell_ posted:

Maybe the answer to Blossom will be Claire putting the fear of fire into her.

Pfft, she's clearly going to end up Blossom's spunky sidekick as they clean up the school... or perhaps destroy it to save it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Ryan is going to take over as whatever the disciplinarian job is called, and the circle will be complete once a kid shoots out his eye.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ryan does not have the backbone for it.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I'm glad Ol' Knotty isn't dead.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
See, there is a problem and Ryan is trying to solve it. He has no choice but to become Knotty MkII because no one else will.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Honestly, this arc is kind of rubbing me the wrong way.

"Pantywaist modern methods can't deal with young hooligans! Back in my day we would have beaten them raw with a belt and then told them to rub some dirt on it!"

If you can't actually back up your view, just invent a world where your opponents are idiots and your methods always work.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
This arc has filled me with a sense of dread since the beginning, like something really terrible and hosed up is right around the corner even though most of the conflicts so far have been resolved with relatively small collateral damage.

The meaning of the title of the arc still isn't quite apparent yet.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

7c Nickel posted:

"Pantywaist modern methods can't deal with young hooligans! Back in my day we would have beaten them raw with a belt and then told them to rub some dirt on it!"

If you can't actually back up your view, just invent a world where your opponents are idiots and your methods always work.

it's kind of odd because it initially took the opposite tack, where Bostwick was terrifying the likes of Colm

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

7c Nickel posted:

Well, bear in mind that a running theme, or gag of... well, the entire SGR/Bobbins universe in fact, is people out-smarting themselves or just generally being brought down by hubris. Almost everyone with grand schemes has an appropriately ironic comeuppance at some point- if they didn't just get Shelly'd. So this is really just the inevitable punchline to a "hot young moderniser with plans to revolutionise the system" plotline. I'm not sure it says much about Allison beyond the fact that it's a joke he likes to keep coming back to.

I don't think he's old enough to have fond memories of caning, anyway- he would have been ten when we outlawed corporal punishment in schools.

Also, remember Ole Knotty isn't actually all that harsh a disciplinarian. He seemed to take a, contractual? Approach to mischief. As in, "I know you're going to break the rules, and you know you're going to break the rules, because you're kids and kids are going to be kids, and if I catch you I'll have to punish you, but if you've done your time you've done your time and I'm not going to actively go looking for skulls to break unless the school is literally on fire."

This is the man who wasn't all that fussed when "Ryan" put out his eye.

Leroy Dennui posted:

This arc has filled me with a sense of dread since the beginning, like something really terrible and hosed up is right around the corner even though most of the conflicts so far have been resolved with relatively small collateral damage.

The meaning of the title of the arc still isn't quite apparent yet.

Well, it is "Missing", so you're looking for the hole rather than the object itself :v:

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and guess it's "compassion". The plot seems to revolve around Darren and Blossom, both of whom are angry outsiders whose anti-social behaviour drives the people around them away. I think the moral of the story is going to be that, while these are genuinely terrible people in a lot of ways, their terrible behaviour is as much something they've been forced into as it is something they chose, and telling them they're irredeemable scum before disowning them is just aggravating the situation. Blossom is angry and abusive because her life to point was about being ostracised and abused, so why not hit back now she has the power? Darren doesn't actually want to be a criminal, he made a decent fist of going straight but now he's up poo poo creek with no support system whatsoever.

In short, I think this is going to be the story of How The Wickle Family (And Society) hosed Up.

e: I don't know if this ties into the Knotty/discipline subplot more than tangentially. If you wanted to try and salvage a decent moral from that you could try, "The honour system only works if the kids respect you, and they're not going to respect you if they've been locked into an adversarial relationship with adults for their entire lives up until this point," but that's "too little too late", the exact opposite of "don't give up too soon".

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 21, 2016

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, the last couple pages have felt weirdly like "John has opinions about discipline", but the Botswick stuff didn't feel that way before, it was more just on the silly end.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Blossom is the worst, though. She won't even send the club newsletter! How could she be part of the council of bitches?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ronya posted:

it's kind of odd because it initially took the opposite tack, where Bostwick was terrifying the likes of Colm

I think it's cringe more than fear.

Copout
Dec 26, 2012
I spy with my little eye a man with distinctive sideburns eating a sandwich.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Acknowledging that kids left unchallenged are completely terrible isn't an endorsement of caning. Knotty might have been very intimidating to kids but he did his best to keep them out of trouble, as opposed to punishing them because he enjoyed it.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Dang, haven't seen Elliot in a while (from today's bobbins.horse). I believe he was the token computer nerd character back in original bobbins.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Yeah, Knotty is actually quite caring and nice as well as being intimidating, see for instance him submitting Ryan's poems for an award. He goes out of his way to actually help the kids despite being a scary dude.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

On an unrelated note: Just reread The Case of the Fire Inside. So :3:.

I think it's probably the best of all the cases.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

team overhead smash posted:

He goes out of his way to actually help the kids despite being a scary dude.

He's not even a scary dude for the sake of it; he knows it's the only way to keep kids out of trouble.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Yvonmukluk posted:

On an unrelated note: Just reread The Case of the Fire Inside. So :3:.

I think it's probably the best of all the cases.

When the book comes out, I plan on grabbing an extra couple as gifts.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oh, Shauna :smith:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

team overhead smash posted:

Yeah, Knotty is actually quite caring and nice as well as being intimidating, see for instance him submitting Ryan's poems for an award. He goes out of his way to actually help the kids despite being a scary dude.

He's the Anthony DeMartino of Tackleford.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Oh, THIS one takes me back!

edit: likelihood of Shauna wandering by and leaving four, maybe five corpses in her wake?

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
Latest comic made me wonder if Games Workshop is still good in the Tackleford universe.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Numero6 posted:

Latest comic made me wonder if Games Workshop is still good in the Tackleford universe.

I take it as further proof of Blossom being awful.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

I take it as further proof of Blossom being awful.

Uh, Blossom is wading into a situation where she is maybe going to get beaten up by a bunch of bullies because she thinks they are picking on a poor kid, and you think this is proof she is awful

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Blonde kid's gonna get a knuckling from Blossom, after she murders all the mean girls.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Blossom suddenly looks pretty small there.

I do like the change in her attitude, though. She beat the crap out of this Tania girl before because she felt like it. And then she destroyed Ole Knotty for no reason other than lashing out at the world.

But now, it's a change like Darren showed after being told off by Shauna, where both are obviously trying to be better persons in their own way. Who will get then demolished by circunstances and back to being awful, but for that one moment you could see a glimpse of hope for them.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Fangz posted:

Uh, Blossom is wading into a situation where she is maybe going to get beaten up by a bunch of bullies because she thinks they are picking on a poor kid, and you think this is proof she is awful

I was talking specifically about her reading White Dwarf.

It was, as you say, a joke.

(I probably could have been clearer).

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I really appreciate that every time we see a Warhammer model in Bad Machinery it's one of those goofy beaky space marines from Rogue Trader.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Empress Theonora posted:

I really appreciate that every time we see a Warhammer model in Bad Machinery it's one of those goofy beaky space marines from Rogue Trader.

In the Tackleford universe, it's always the Rogue Trader era.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Oh no Ryan, don't turn back to relying on drink :ohdear:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I like that Bostwick has already got a bald spot. KARMA.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Jeez, Charlotte.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:ohdear:

At least Lottie tried to stop her.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Lottie should be trying to help her, not threatening to end their friendship over Shauna doing the right thing.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

It's kind of sad that apparently Shauna has essentially been dragged down into the crab bucket by Darren & Blossom being shitheads. Like, she was genuinely trying to help them. poo poo, why did Blossom tell Daz about Shauna snitching when he was the one she was mad at? I mean don't get me wrong, standing up for Blossom is the right thing (as much as anything in this situation could be called 'the right thing'), but it feels like Shauna's promising future got crushed by malice or apathy by a bunch of people around her, despite everything she & most of those who were genuinely supporting her are doing.

Then again, Ryan wound up alright after being shat upon by life a fair few times, so she'll be okay in the long run. :unsmith:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Lottie should be trying to help her, not threatening to end their friendship over Shauna doing the right thing.

Yeah. I think Lottie is really, really being terrible in this chapter and some people don't seem to have noticed??? Like Shauna's dealing with some really difficult things but Charlotte is treating this entirely selfishly. It's not clear if she even apologised over the whole thing with Shauna's dad - which I have a suspicion is actually the real issue here.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 28, 2016

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, remember part of the reason Shauna is feeling particularly loyal to Blossom these days is because she leaned on that friendship as she fell out with Lottie and Mildred when they arranged that Dad thing. As far as I can tell, they never really worked that out, just kinda let it come between them and sit there for months.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Fangz posted:

Yeah. I think Lottie is really, really being terrible in this chapter and some people don't seem to have noticed??? Like Shauna's dealing with some really difficult things but Charlotte is treating this entirely selfishly. It's not clear if she even apologised over the whole thing with Shauna's dad - which I have a suspicion is actually the real issue here.

To be fair, Lottie was looking at it from the perspective of somebody who lost her dad when she was very young.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Well, the other uncomfortable reality is the whole social class thing. Shauna's bright but she's also reaching the point in her life where society's just going to start giving Mildred and Lottie stuff and while keeping it from Shauna. Seriously, which one's going to have an easier time at the Oxbridge interviews: Mildred or Shauna?

• Locked thread