Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008

Zone of Danger posted:

Seconding R2 Meteor, 4 charges + 6-8 of some -aja spell is enough to get through almost any boss fight.

That said I think Flare might be the better ability going forward as boss defenses increase. To be honest, even in high difficulty dungeons, I prioritize two single target spells and bring Mana Spring II, so I can get some SB charges going into the boss.

Thanks for the advice folks-- I was really psyched to get flare strike, but I'll go meteor once I stack a few more major black orbs.

My only ja spells are waterja r4 and bioga r4, and ruinga r4 if you count that. Rinoa usually hits the damage cap with ruinga, I was thinking of r5 but it's so many orbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Attestant posted:

Worth? Probably yes. I have mine at r4 and I find it a massive boon in most dungeons with 12+ waves. But it's certainly not a huge priority if you run it with Mana Spring II.

I'd agree on getting a few -Ja spells to r3 first, probably Wateraja and Thundaja.

Oh cool those are exactly the ones I picked too. Nice.

And yeah right now r2 is all I need. I use it in dungeons when I get like 4-5 enemies in a wave. Usually that plus the -ga spell the boss is weak to or just my r4 blizzaga is enough. But I need the Ja spells now that things are getting tougher. Also working on Curaja. With this orb exchanging maybe I haven't hit as much of a wall as I thought. As long as I can get the MC2s in each event I am pleased. And then hopefully as I build this damage I can even challenge the last bosses.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Kawalimus posted:

Oh cool those are exactly the ones I picked too. Nice.

And yeah right now r2 is all I need. I use it in dungeons when I get like 4-5 enemies in a wave. Usually that plus the -ga spell the boss is weak to or just my r4 blizzaga is enough. But I need the Ja spells now that things are getting tougher. Also working on Curaja. With this orb exchanging maybe I haven't hit as much of a wall as I thought. As long as I can get the MC2s in each event I am pleased. And then hopefully as I build this damage I can even challenge the last bosses.

Water is good, since it is very, very rarely resisted. And Thunder is good because anything remotely robotic or aquatic tends to be weak to it, and that covers a surprising amount of enemies in FF games. Fire is probably a good third to go for, while Blizzard tends to have the least weaknesses. Bio and Dark are generally for very specific medal condition.

When it comes to 4* White magic, just make sure you have both Shellga and Protectga (r1 is enough for almost everything) before you start spending. Curaja is becoming more relevant as levels and difficulty go up, but in my experiences Curaga is all you need for +, ++ and most +++ content. Diaga is also a good 4* option to go for, if you want offensive White Magic.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think I've eclipsed 700 stamina spent on my RM team without a single RM dropping :psyduck:

Mainly running stamina 2 dungeons during that time but the last couple days I've been autobattling the hard mode (10 stam) orb dungeons.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

I think I've eclipsed 700 stamina spent on my RM team without a single RM dropping :psyduck:

Mainly running stamina 2 dungeons during that time but the last couple days I've been autobattling the hard mode (10 stam) orb dungeons.

I just used crazy barely useful teams of cores and Z-line characters during the orbfest to both farm orbs and also get RM's to drop. Doing 2 stam dungeons over and over must just make you lose your mind. Might as well farm orbs with your RM drop teams.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Charles Bukowski posted:

Doing 2 stam dungeons over and over must just make you lose your mind. Might as well farm orbs with your RM drop teams.

Yeah this is exactly why I'm doing it. Plus it's much easier to push a couple buttons every 30 minutes instead of every six, especially at work.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
So I have a few copies of aga level spells around R3 and one of each aja at r2. Dumpster the aga spells? I kinda figured it might be a little less oomph but having more spells to chuck at a boss that is weak to them is worthwhile.

What would you guys say is a decent number of hones for most of the staple 4* abilities?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Don't get rid of your -aga spells! On high MAG with a good RM hitting a weakness they'll still either hit 9999 or come close even in bonus battles. Then you can stick the ja spells on the mage with less MAG.

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010

Servaetes posted:

So I have a few copies of aga level spells around R3 and one of each aja at r2. Dumpster the aga spells? I kinda figured it might be a little less oomph but having more spells to chuck at a boss that is weak to them is worthwhile.

What would you guys say is a decent number of hones for most of the staple 4* abilities?

Above r3 is usually where they start getting expensive in terms of orbs, so that's usually where I'll stop unless I'm certain I'll need more casts.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Zone of Danger posted:

Above r3 is usually where they start getting expensive in terms of orbs, so that's usually where I'll stop unless I'm certain I'll need more casts.

To add to this, at r3 dropped ethers will heal 2 charges instead of the 1 it would do at rank 1 or 2. So that's generally a solid benchmark.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

So Steiner is the first MC2 character I have never really used. What is his strength besides meatshield?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

djfooboo posted:

So Steiner is the first MC2 character I have never really used. What is his strength besides meatshield?

He can use spellblades

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

djfooboo posted:

Draw Fire + Drain Strike.

In comparison to other Knights, Paladin Cecil generally outclasses him otherwise.

In comparison to other Spellblades, he's by far the most physically defensive (having like 800 more HP and 10 DEF at level 65 over Luneth, his closest competitor). However, he only hits harder than Celes.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

djfooboo posted:

He's a high HP high Def Spellblade.

He'll be a very strong armor strike user when we get that, as well as other nifty future knight skills like Banish Raid and Saints Cross, and he can combine those with the ability to either hit elemental weaknesses, or heal himself with Drain Strike (which is a great combo with Draw Fire, obvs.)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Steiner is good for Draw Fire/Drain Strike. Except that synergy FFIX weapons are extremely rare. gently caress the item pool.

My Steiner isn't lv65 yet though, neither is Fran so I guess I need to get moving on that.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Attestant posted:

Water is good, since it is very, very rarely resisted. And Thunder is good because anything remotely robotic or aquatic tends to be weak to it, and that covers a surprising amount of enemies in FF games. Fire is probably a good third to go for, while Blizzard tends to have the least weaknesses. Bio and Dark are generally for very specific medal condition.

When it comes to 4* White magic, just make sure you have both Shellga and Protectga (r1 is enough for almost everything) before you start spending. Curaja is becoming more relevant as levels and difficulty go up, but in my experiences Curaga is all you need for +, ++ and most +++ content. Diaga is also a good 4* option to go for, if you want offensive White Magic.

Already have em, and was keen enough to not dump orbs and gil into honing them too. Shellga is vital for my "Ghetto Wall" setup I have going with Paladin Cecil. Barring RW assistance, what I have on him is crystal helm with protectga, mako might materia so he can set it up when he needs to, shellga, and cur-whatever. So really my favorite RW is mog's sunbath with attack up and heavy regen to cover those two. But defensively with him I'm set up real well. I have the sand pin or whatever on him too to raise his MND stat. I will eventually want a real white mage but being able to wear the crystal helm is huge for my defensive setup.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Steiner is really loving good, and it says something when he is maybe 4th or 5th best overall Knight. Auron gets Knight at some point, right?

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Only Knight 3, so he can use Draw Fire but none of the other good Knight stuff.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Beasteh posted:

Steiner is really loving good, and it says something when he is maybe 4th or 5th best overall Knight. Auron gets Knight at some point, right?

Well, the top 3 are Cecil, Gilgamesh and Agrias in no particular order, so it's a pretty significant leap.

Basch would easily be up there once he gets his MC2 as well.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Big Poppa Pump is the 1st FF9 character to get his MC2?

gently caress. Yes.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Steiner is good for Draw Fire/Drain Strike. Except that synergy FFIX weapons are extremely rare. gently caress the item pool.

My Steiner isn't lv65 yet though, neither is Fran so I guess I need to get moving on that.

At this point I've got enough eggs to level every new character to 50 as soon as I get them and use the sundaily to focus on leveling guys on the mc2 schedule to 65.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

At this point I've got enough eggs to level every new character to 50 as soon as I get them and use the sundaily to focus on leveling guys on the mc2 schedule to 65.

Mostly the same deal here.

Speaking of, going by the usual event schedule we've had lately, I wouldn't be surprised if we got the Beatrix event on Sunday. :cripes:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

KataraniSword posted:

Speaking of, going by the usual event schedule we've had lately, I wouldn't be surprised if we got the Beatrix event on Sunday. :cripes:

That's not going by the usual schedule at all, they haven't announced the next event on the same night another one ended in forever.

Here's what reddit says:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

Mostly the same deal here.

Actually event dates have been datamined:

Yuffie bonus battles tonight.
DU18 tomorrow.
Beatrix on the 27th.
Penelo on the 2nd.
Kefka on the 8th.
Exdeath on the 15th.
Jecht on the 22nd.
Cloudy Wolf on 27th.

SoM and FFI event seems to be skipped. The hope is that the FFI event will come when we get our anniversary (which is in March).

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Looking forward to the Beatrix banners. Another shot at a medica on banner 2 and banner 1 has some good physical coverage. Also there's a hat with +fire on it for your spellblade shenanigans.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Beatrix 1 is very tempting, especially since I really like Steiner, but I'm going to have to sadly give it a pass - I already have two Coral Swords and a Cat Claws, and I want more mythril to go for the March events. FF9 synergy will just have to wait til Freya.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Shoenin posted:

Big Poppa Pump is the 1st FF9 character to get his MC2?

gently caress. Yes.

Finally a good nickname.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
God looking at the FFRK Quick Info thing...there really are a few RMs that would help spice things up that we aren't getting any time soon. Laguna's Natural Charisma (+10% Att&Def+Regen) and both of Edward's RMs would make bards much more useful. Too bad Laguna's a ways off and we'll never loving get Edward's MC any loving time soon. Can't believe DeNA skipped over it, much like the FF1 event we should have gotten.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Actually event dates have been datamined:

Yuffie bonus battles tonight.
DU18 tomorrow.
Beatrix on the 27th.
Penelo on the 2nd.
Kefka on the 8th.
Exdeath on the 15th.
Jecht on the 22nd.
Cloudy Wolf on 27th.

SoM and FFI event seems to be skipped. The hope is that the FFI event will come when we get our anniversary (which is in March).

And by all rights if updates fall when they did in JP, that means we'll get the permanent Vale/blank MCs (and thus, Bartz/Greg/Aerith MC2s et al) either between Exdeath/Jecht events or slightly before, right?

Kemix posted:

God looking at the FFRK Quick Info thing...there really are a few RMs that would help spice things up that we aren't getting any time soon. Laguna's Natural Charisma (+10% Att&Def+Regen) and both of Edward's RMs would make bards much more useful. Too bad Laguna's a ways off and we'll never loving get Edward's MC any loving time soon. Can't believe DeNA skipped over it, much like the FF1 event we should have gotten.

The last chance DeNA has to fix the fuckup with Edward is with the permanent blank MCs. If they don't, I think Reddit may legitimately burst into flames from all the salt.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

KataraniSword posted:

And by all rights if updates fall when they did in JP, that means we'll get the permanent Vale/blank MCs (and thus, Bartz/Greg/Aerith MC2s et al) either between Exdeath/Jecht events or slightly before, right?

The last chance DeNA has to fix the fuckup with Edward is with the permanent blank MCs. If they don't, I think Reddit may legitimately burst into flames from all the salt.

I thought Greg or Butz got their MC2 in Exdeath's event, but I haven't followed Japan much these last few months. The FF1 mobius event has MC2s for all the FF1 characters though. :shrug:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

I believe the Vale came with the one year anniversary, so due to us having gotten events sped up we probably won't get it til March.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Chocobo Racing dungeon when, Japan? When! :v:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I thought Greg or Butz got their MC2 in Exdeath's event, but I haven't followed Japan much these last few months. The FF1 mobius event has MC2s for all the FF1 characters though. :shrug:

Galuf is the MC2 in the Exdeath event. The MC2s that will become available with the permanent chamber: Bartz, Gilgamesh, Locke, Vivi, Lulu, Aerith, Hope, Vanille. Of course you only get 4 crystals to start with.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

KnoxZone posted:

Galuf is the MC2 in the Exdeath event. The MC2s that will become available with the permanent chamber: Bartz, Gilgamesh, Locke, Vivi, Lulu, Aerith, Hope, Vanille. Of course you only get 4 crystals to start with.

Are those crystals available anywhere else afterwards, or do you pick 4 and the other 4 are just hosed out of a crystal forever?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

KnoxZone posted:

I was going to ask when we got Vanille's since I have Wyrmfang. That's awesome. Now if we could only get Terra's and Sazh's then too, I'd be a happy camper.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

bilperkins2 posted:

Are those crystals available anywhere else afterwards, or do you pick 4 and the other 4 are just hosed out of a crystal forever?

They become awards in Abyss Chambers and eventually Events start handing them out too, so latecomers can completely catch up after a while.

IllegallySober posted:

I was going to ask when we got Vanille's since I have Wyrmfang. That's awesome. Now if we could only get Terra's and Sazh's then too, I'd be a happy camper.

Terra is in a couple of weeks, supposedly the 8th of Feb. Sazh is almost 6 months away.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

IllegallySober posted:

Stolen from Reddit, the order of MC2 releases in Japan:

• Red XIII
• Steiner
• Fran
• Terra
• Warrior of Light (This has been moved or skipped)
• Galuf
• (Note: Next eight come as a set; pick 4): Aerith, Vivi, Vanille, Hope , Locke, Bartz, Gilgamesh, Lulu
• Yuna
• Tifa
• Selphie
• Garnet
• Firion (I don't think we even have his MC1 yet)
• Ramza, Agrias
• Auron
• Shadow, Celes, Relm
• Reno, Zack, Vincent
• Vaan, Balthier, Penelo
• Faris
• Zell, Edea
• Palom, Polom, Rydia
• Luneth, Refia, Arc, Ingus
• Zidane, Beatrix, Kuja
• Yuffie
• Maria, Leon, Minwu, Quistis, Laguna, Eiko
• Snow, Sazh, Fang, Serah
• Cyan, Edgar, Sabin, Setzer, Gau (I can't believe Gau gets his MC2 before Ashe. Poor Ashe)
• Kimahri, Rikku, Jecht, Braska

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KnoxZone posted:

Sazh is almost 6 months away.

To clarify, everyone in XIII who doesn't currently have a MC2 will have a MC2 by six months' time.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
i have til tomorrow to kill Ulti-Bart right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
ugh my man balthier's a ways out, but it's pretty funny that kimahri gets his mc2 after a bunch of characters who aren't even out in global yet

• Locked thread