Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I'd pay actual money to have Josuke punished by forcing him to listen to the very beginning of the OPM OP every time he goes to make a post

ONE PUUUUUUUUNCH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'd just like to remind Bad Seafood I stil have one probation on Aurain over him

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Seafood, please feel free to give me a 6'er to get one over on Beef Chief.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I'm very slowly reading SBR again and I really wonder if I'm missing the boat with Johnny. I don't dislike him and he has a compelling story but he doesn't hold my interest as much?

it helps when viewing him in comparison to jonathan. he's more of a fleshed-out character and the way the story frames what valentine's hoping to accomplish in comparison to johnny and gyro's goals really makes it more obvious as to how he's more realistic compared to what the series was like when it started.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh no sir, you gotta earn that probation. The SA forums may not distinguish it, but I'll know.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Joseph > Jolyne = Johnny > Josuke > Gappy > Jotaro > Jonathon
Giorno's placement pending a reread of VA after the retranslations are done.

All you people putting Joseph low on the list just straight-up have bad opinions imo

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm going to get it put on your rap sheet that I like Claire "Lightning" Farron more than you, Baal.

There's nothing about Joseph that his perfect in every way son doesn't do a lot better.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Baal posted:

But the real bad JoJo fans are people who like All Star Battle

there are people in this thread who have preordered eyes of heaven probably so they take priority

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

I'm very slowly reading SBR again and I really wonder if I'm missing the boat with Johnny. I don't dislike him and he has a compelling story but he doesn't hold my interest as much? Reading that slowly probably isn't helping, I'm reading at like a chapter every week-ish right now.
For me at least, Johnny's appealing because of his story but also because of all the other details in SBR: Gyro is such a good jojobro, I love the setting and almost all of the supporting cast, and the part as a whole felt really refreshing after reading through VA and SO, two pretty combat-heavy parts. I also didn't read it until after the super-long Valentine fight had wrapped up, so I didn't have to deal with that drawn-out experience. (Also, yeah: I like SO less than other parts, but it's not because of the downer ending.)

Baal posted:

But the real bad JoJo fans are people who like All Star Battle
It's a bad game but I still played it and enjoyed it. I really am the bad JoJo fan. e: I'll probably buy EoH too.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Seafood, please feel free to give me a 6'er to get one over on Beef Chief.

Bye.

Johnny Joestar posted:

it helps when viewing him in comparison to jonathan. he's more of a fleshed-out character and the way the story frames what valentine's hoping to accomplish in comparison to johnny and gyro's goals really makes it more obvious as to how he's more realistic compared to what the series was like when it started.

That's true. I think he does take a bit of time to pick up steam as a character. I just read Chapter 27 last night (Tusk Part 3 I think?) so yeah, it's not really that far off the ground yet at all.

Suaimhneas posted:

All you people putting Joseph low on the list just straight-up have bad opinions imo

Oldseph is fun. BT Joseph is charming and enjoyable. I'd argue that Araki only begins to hit his stride as far as writing interesting and fun protagonists is concerned with Jotaro, who is extremely subtle and therefore much more enjoyable for me to read.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ryaomon posted:

there are people in this thread who have preordered eyes of heaven probably so they take priority

I mean they're one in the same

Amaryllis posted:

For me at least, Johnny's appealing because of his story but also because of all the other details in SBR: Gyro is such a good jojobro, I love the setting and almost all of the supporting cast, and the part as a whole felt really refreshing after reading through VA and SO, two pretty combat-heavy parts. I also didn't read it until after the super-long Valentine fight had wrapped up, so I didn't have to deal with that drawn-out experience. (Also, yeah: I like SO less than other parts, but it's not because of the downer ending.)

It's a bad game but I still played it and enjoyed it. I really am the bad JoJo fan. e: I'll probably buy EoH too.

That's fine

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

johnny takes a little bit to get going but the people who say gyro is the real star of steel ball run are missing the point entirely

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Suaimhneas posted:

Joseph > Jolyne = Johnny > Josuke > Gappy > Jotaro > Jonathon
Giorno's placement pending a reread of VA after the retranslations are done.

Joseph is a literal cartoon character, I loving love him but all of the characters I put higher than him have more to them that makes me like them more.

Amaryllis
Aug 14, 2007

Nobody makes a fool out of Rohan Kishibe!

Johnny Joestar posted:

johnny takes a little bit to get going but the people who say gyro is the real star of steel ball run are missing the point entirely
It's like all those people who try to argue that Polnareff is the real star of part 3.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Josuke = Jolyne > Joseph > Johnny > Jotaro > Jonathan
Giorno is, like people said, not really counted cause he's a victim of bad translation. He did have some good parts though, like stealing a hundred cars. Also haven't started part 8, so I obviously can't rate that Jojo.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

He is the real star of SBR though. He's not the lead protagonist in the end, but he drives a poo poo load of the plot and is the best brojo and redeems the Zeppeli family.

Imagine how lovely SBR would be with crappy Caesar in Gyro's place.
I mean, just assume that he doesn't get killed by Diego in the first stage to make it work.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would just like to note I have not read Part 8 since before the Beetle Wars started so I am abstaining on Gappy as I hadn't formed a great opinion on him

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Baal posted:

Joseph is a literal cartoon character

well, i mean, yeah

Booya
Feb 17, 2012
Does anybody have the cool part 3 anime video where Joseph is showing Jotaro a picture of DIO for the first time, but someone edited so it's a picture of Joseph crossdressing instead? Thank you

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

My JoJo ranking is

1. Jolyne

all the rest of them are icky boys

Yo, imma blob
Apr 29, 2007

have you any wool
Gyro is the only Zeppeli I care about. The only thing the first Zeppeli was good for was giving Speedwagon a cool hat and teaching Jonathan to punch frogs.

Johnny and Jotaro are tied for #1 JoJos on my list. Everyone else is tied at #2. Jolyne would be a #1 too but Ora Is the New Black is the saddest arc

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Josuke Higashikata posted:

There's nothing about Joseph that his perfect in every way son doesn't do a lot better.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Johnny Joestar posted:

if anything gappy provided us with one of the most baffling out of context pages in jojo's history, that of someone sobbing after looking at citrus fruit

Take the tissue, Josuke

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I don't really have a hard and fast "Proper" ranking system when it comes to my favorite Jojo, so instead have this:
  • Jonathan is the best of the Joestars, a hero in the classical sense: an idealized symbol, someone to aspire to. A lot of people like to write him off or rank him low for being a "Boring" goody two-shoes but I consider his role to be one of the most important in the series for a multitude of reasons, chief among them being the mold in which all future Joestars are cast and compared against, and inevitable deviate from. He's the gold standard.
  • Joseph is good but Old Joseph is better. Old Joseph is the best. Oldest Joseph breaks my heart.
  • Jotaro is the most underappreciated Jojo. He's not a deep character or anything but he's got a lot more going on under the hood than most people are willing to acknowledge. Even if he didn't though, I've always been a fan of the serious, stoic character surrounded by lunacy who just keeps on trucking.
  • Josuke is my favorite Jojo, and combines the best aspects of all three Jojos who came before him. He's got Jonathan's heart of gold, Joseph's mischievous streak, and Jotaro's ability to act coolly under pressure. More than a mere amalgamation though, he's still his own character and a believable one at that. Just a good kid with a bad side, but it all works out in the end.
  • Giorno is probably my least favorite Jojo, but I'm basing that off the existing translation which allegedly sucks all the life out of him. I've got a reread of Part 5 planned for when everything's been fixed so we'll see how I feel about him them.
  • Jolyne is the ultimate underdog. She goes through a lot with all the cards stacked against her and weathers it all with an amazing amount of resilience. I'm still kinda mad Araki denied her a proper victory against Pucci.
  • Johnny is the most human Jojo. He's a far more complex character than all his predecessors with a real arc that's satisfying to watch unfold.
I don't rate parts or protagonists until they've finished but thus far Gappy seems "Human" like Johnny.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I don't rank Jojos because I like them all. Jolyne's probably my "best" but that's by a tiny margin.

It's me, I am Speedwagon, geeking out over all the Joestars.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Bad Seafood posted:

I don't rate parts or protagonists until they've finished but thus far Gappy seems "Human" like Johnny.

with the way he's been set up it's hard for him not to be 'human'. just some weird, sad kid who's cobbled together from bits of two other people he never knew and with basically no memories of a family or life to his name.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Jolyne is the best and coolest, mostly due to how drat tough she is. While being on the recieving end of gruesome injuries and other unpleasant stuff is pretty part and parcel of the Joestar life, the sheer amount of poo poo that life throws at her is just something else. And then she powers through all that without losing a single step. Jolyne's basically the goddamn Terminator.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's really rare to see girls going through has much poo poo as Jolyne in... I was gonna say manga, but it's actually media in general. There's Ripley, kinda?

Jolyne gets the poo poo beaten out of her and stands up and set herself on fire and kicks rear end. She's uber cool.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Gappy = Jolyne > Johnny > Old Joseph = Josuke > Jotaro > uhh those other guys

Gappy, Josuke, and Jolyne are the only JoJos who are or could be considered my favorite characters of their respective parts, though

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

I don't rank Jojos because I like them all. Jolyne's probably my "best" but that's by a tiny margin.

It's me, I am Speedwagon, geeking out over all the Joestars.

I feel you, even my least favorite JoJo part/character is still great.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
All I know for certain is Johnny and the first Josuke are tied for Best JoJos in my heart.

Best Dog is Iggy.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Josuke > Johnny > Joseph > Jolyne > Jotaro > Jonathan > Giorno

Nothing against Giorno, honestly he's a cool dude and he actively looks for the bizarre answers to his problems so that's cool, I just like the others more. Gappy I don't want to say yet since his story is not over obviously and also his main thing is that his life is shrouded in a mystery it makes it extra important to see it to the end to get a full feel of it, for me.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
For me it's something like Joseph (young)>Josuke>Jolyne>Johnny>Jotaro>Joseph (old)>Jonathan>Giorno. Josuke is probably the most complex and realistic character, but young Joseph is the most fun.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I love all the JoJos but Joseph is my favourite, just because he is a ridiculous cartoon who leads a freakishly charmed life in family constantly beset by tragedy. Beating Kars 50% by dumb luck and 50% by bragging it was all part of his master plan and he's The Greatest Tactical Mind Who Ever Lived remains my favourite scene in all of JoJo

Johnny is definitely the most interesting JoJo though, he's the first who isn't a decendent of Jonathan and thus an automatic heir to his noble spirit and courage and has to earn the namesake through adversity and self-discovery, it was a great way to reboot the series on literal and conceptual levels

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
I've been meaning to read Diamond is Unbreakable for a while now and I've just got up to Let's Go Eat Italian Food, Okuyasu is really loving this mineral water and it's the greatest thing I've ever seen.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

ActionZero posted:

I've been meaning to read Diamond is Unbreakable for a while now and I've just got up to Let's Go Eat Italian Food and it's the greatest thing I've ever seen.

I agree.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
I hope this arc keeps up with alternating between Okuyasu declaring some food to be the greatest thing he's ever tasted, some terrible body horror poo poo happening to him and him suddenly triumphantly being cured of an ailment.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Oh to experience peak JoJo again.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

quote:

My constipation's gone!

Let's Go Eat Italian Food is perfection on a page. Now that it's over I'm a little sad that I'm never going to be able to experience this for the first time again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
If Tonio was a JoJo he'd be the best one forever and ever.