Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

nielsm posted:

Some users manage to get their domain-joined, SCCM managed computers upgraded to Windows 10. How?!

Browse to msn.com, click the popup, have local admin.

Also I heard somewhere that if a domain joined computer running professional and not enterprise gets its updates from Microsoft and not WSUS it'll start getting the win10 update. Haven't verified this though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

hihifellow posted:

Browse to msn.com, click the popup, have local admin.

Also I heard somewhere that if a domain joined computer running professional and not enterprise gets its updates from Microsoft and not WSUS it'll start getting the win10 update. Haven't verified this though.

From what I have seen this is true. For those little guys in the IT world without Enterprise or volume licensing that are stuck on pro I would say get WSUS setup now, you should have done this already anyway. And you can add this to your updates GPO via https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351

quote:

Group Policy
Microsoft has released new updates to enable you to block upgrades to Windows 10 through Windows Update. These updates install a new Group Policy Object. Computers that have this Group Policy Object enabled will never detect, download, or install an upgrade to the latest version of Windows.

To obtain and install these updates, go to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles:

3065987 Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: July 2015
3065988 Windows Update Client for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2: July 2015
To configure this Group Policy Object by using Group Policy, the following conditions apply:

The appropriate update must be installed.
You must use the updated WindowsUpdate.admx file by copying the file from the editing policy location.

Computer Configuration
To block the upgrade by using Computer Configuration, follow these steps:

Click Computer Configuration.
Click Policies.
Click Administrative Templates.
Click Windows Components.
Click Windows Update.
Double-click Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update.
Click Enable.

Policy path: Computer Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Windows Update Policy
Setting: Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

From what I have seen this is true. For those little guys in the IT world without Enterprise or volume licensing that are stuck on pro I would say get WSUS setup now, you should have done this already anyway. And you can add this to your updates GPO via https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3080351

I thought this wasn't supposed to happen until next month. I ended up having to do the registry edit since the ADMX is for Server 2008R2+ and I'm running 2008 non R2 until later this year when I get new servers, which is also when I'll be getting a WSUS server setup.

I've run some tests and I think we'd be okay with a switch to windows 10 with our current software, windows 10 isn't even a topic for upgrade until 2017 though.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Oh God; my job is a graveyard for failed IT careers. One of the guys I work with used to be director of IT at an MSP and now he's resetting passwords. :gonk:

I'm too young to stagnate. :ohdear:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

For the past couple days I've been taking an online course where the instructor is basically reading the manual while fumbling through the exercises given.

Kill me.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

odiv posted:

For the past couple days I've been taking an online course where the instructor is basically reading the manual while fumbling through the exercises given.

Kill me.

Wouldn't by chance be a Unitrends disaster recovery seminar would it?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Dross posted:

Wouldn't by chance be a Unitrends disaster recovery seminar would it?

Sounds like you two are having an absolutely enthralling week.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

odiv posted:

Kill me.

Invaluable hands on support experience!
(Supporting the instructor's application)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I found a user who doesn't know what an iPhone is. More specifically, said user thinks ALL phones are iPhones. Including desk phones that clearly say "Cisco" on them.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

KillHour posted:

I found a user who doesn't know what an iPhone is. More specifically, said user thinks ALL phones are iPhones. Including desk phones that clearly say "Cisco" on them.

I could see people thinking all cell phones are iPhones because well, it's like Xerox and Kleenex the brand is also the product at some point. CEO asked about a getting an iPhone Galaxy 7S when they come out.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

This is a mistake I can understand, though would still drive me nuts, since Cisco phones are IP-phones.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Aunt Beth posted:

This is a mistake I can understand, though would still drive me nuts, since Cisco phones are IP-phones.

Well it makes it a little difficult when I'm trying to remotely unlock a cellphone that doesn't exist. She forgot her voicemail pin.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

KillHour posted:

Its the modern equivalent of calling the computer box the "modem".

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

stevewm posted:

Its the modern equivalent of calling the computer box the "modem".

I had a user call their workstation a hard drive today.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Everyone here calls desktops "CPUs" and laptops laptops.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I had a very sweet old lady come in complaining about "Marshmallow spam." Turns out she commented on a facebook video from a page called Marshmallow involving some dogs, and every time someone else commented she got an email telling her, leading her to get like 9000 emails.

This lady had not one, but two Ask toolbars in her Internet Explorer, along with two other unrelated toolbars. She navigated to Facebook by typing "facebook" in the AOL search bar on her homepage, and kept losing track of where the cursor was on the screen.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Segmentation Fault posted:

I had a very sweet old lady come in complaining about "Marshmallow spam." Turns out she commented on a facebook video from a page called Marshmallow involving some dogs, and every time someone else commented she got an email telling her, leading her to get like 9000 emails.

This lady had not one, but two Ask toolbars in her Internet Explorer, along with two other unrelated toolbars. She navigated to Facebook by typing "facebook" in the AOL search bar on her homepage, and kept losing track of where the cursor was on the screen.

Just out of curiosity, how similar is your place of employment to this? https://goo.gl/maps/aswmKapKvBT2

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Everyone here calls desktops "CPUs".

Or "the brain"

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Just out of curiosity, how similar is your place of employment to this? https://goo.gl/maps/aswmKapKvBT2

Similar, except instead of being in a city we're in a small town in New York, and we have less people. Same services though.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

Cisco did own the trademark on iPhone when the first Apple iPhone came out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_iPhone

Of course, Cisco also owned the trademark on IOS before Apple renamed their phone OS to iOS too. http://blogs.cisco.com/news/cisco_and_apple_agreement_on_ios_trademark

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Cisco did own the trademark on iPhone when the first Apple iPhone came out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_iPhone

Of course, Cisco also owned the trademark on IOS before Apple renamed their phone OS to iOS too. http://blogs.cisco.com/news/cisco_and_apple_agreement_on_ios_trademark

I knew the IOS thing, but not the iPhone thing. That's really awesome.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

iWatch is owned by some Irish software company but they couldn't reach an agreement so it became apple watch

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

some company in mexico owns iTV, hence the Apple TV

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
the iphone should have been called appletalk

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

I most commonly hear them referred to as "the hard drive"

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Methanar posted:

the iphone should have been called appletalk

They've already got something with that name.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AppleTalk

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

They've already got something with that name.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AppleTalk

:thejoke:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I do like my IBM PC manual from 1992 and call it the system unit. Users seem to understand what I mean.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

FireSight posted:

some company in mexico owns iTV, hence the Apple TV

Also the name of channel 3 TV in the uk.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

DigitalMocking posted:

I most commonly hear them referred to as "the hard drive"

gently caress that, absolutely everything is "The Server"

- Customers not reading E-mail which goes into Junk? Is the server down again?
- Poor call quality from a customer mobile phone in the middle of a desert? Did the server break?
- Internet explorer incompatibility? There's something wrong with the Internet server!
- Gray and rainy outside? Is there something wrong with the server?

Edit:
On the flip side the file server is commonly referred to as "The S Drive" since everyone has a drive mapping on "S:", nevermind the fact they also all have desktop shortcuts.

Super Slash fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 23, 2016

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Super Slash posted:

Something is VERY wrong with the server.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

A prophecy came in:

Thrice the U is doubled, name the demon of Page and Brin, com the storm that clouds your mind. Do this, and the answers you seek shall be revealed.
Lol. I'm not sure if "com" is an amusing typo or a great pun.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

PCOS Bill posted:

Something is VERY wrong with the server.

It's raining in that scene. There is clearly something wrong with The Cloud™ :yayclod:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

There is clearly something wrong with My Butt™ :yayclod:
You should see a doctor about that. :v:

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 23, 2016

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Oh cloud 2 butt, may you always be enabled

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
Wow, what a busy Saturday for me.

So of the calls I got today, 2 of them really stood out as unusal

1) Person called in to get a couple of drives replaced - one pred fail and one marked as failed.
Problem: Customer had a puncture several months ago (Check here for more info on why it's BAD) and instead of doing the right thing to fix it, his management decided to just keep the RAID as it is. Which means the rebuild they have has bad data, and logs I got showed it was still showing errors.
Got to right up the riot act of why they need to fix this (basically ends with "Which will cost you more money: taking the time to get someone onsite to backup your database and redeploy OR your database getting to an point beyond recovery?")

2) Someone decided to pay money for us to help troubleshoot an issue on a Dell PowerEdge 2600. Now I can say that is the oldest server I've ever helped on.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Super Slash posted:

gently caress that, absolutely everything is "The Server"

- Customers not reading E-mail which goes into Junk? Is the server down again?
- Poor call quality from a customer mobile phone in the middle of a desert? Did the server break?
- Internet explorer incompatibility? There's something wrong with the Internet server!

Edit:
On the flip side the file server is commonly referred to as "The S Drive" since everyone has a drive mapping on "S:", nevermind the fact they also all have desktop shortcuts.

Oh, I was talking about their personal computer/laptop/tablet. Not sure why, but 70% of our users just call that part the "hard drive".

Everything for us is the network.

Is the network down? Is the network slow? did we upgrade the network? are we having network issues?

SentinelXS
Aug 30, 2009

Why don't you make like a tree, and FUCK OFF?

Super Slash posted:

Edit:

This triggered me. I really hate it when people ask me to give them access to their M drive or I drive or whatever the gently caress drive mapping. I have to find documentation (good luck) or find someone else from that department and look at their machine to find out what the path is.

I just did a computer upgrade for somebody and they actually told me the server and folder path they needed a mapped drive for. I was blown away.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Drive mapping should be handled by GPO so all you need to do is ensure the user is in the correct OU and security groups.
*in an ideal world*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Varkk posted:

Drive mapping should be handled by GPO so all you need to do is ensure the user is in the correct OU and security groups.
*in an ideal world*

Hahahahahahahahahah Ahahahahahahahah! HaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH *BREATHE* AHHHAHAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

• Locked thread