Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Away all Goats posted:

What, not enough power for nipplesabers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Watched FURY last night and I loved it. Saying that, and this might be an actual thing, but do tracer rounds really make bullets look like you're living in a Star Wars film? Blue and red lasers flying everywhere. Not so much irritating, just never seen tracer fire before so seeing a grimy World War 2 film with what looked like blaster fire everywhere jarred me a bit.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ChogsEnhour posted:

Watched FURY last night and I loved it. Saying that, and this might be an actual thing, but do tracer rounds really make bullets look like you're living in a Star Wars film? Blue and red lasers flying everywhere. Not so much irritating, just never seen tracer fire before so seeing a grimy World War 2 film with what looked like blaster fire everywhere jarred me a bit.

I thought they used magnesium in the back of the shells to light it up and alternated them with regular ammo so it gave a visual aid.

Either way it was real. I'd guess it was all magnesium colored, maybe phosphorous? but I doubt the axis and allies agreed on who got what color.

And you're right all we have is grainy b&w footage and colorized which...

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ChogsEnhour posted:

It's precisely the other way around. George Lucas based the visuals for the dogfights in Star Wars off WWII movies, where the Luftwaffe as I recall had green tracers, and the RAF had red.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

ChogsEnhour posted:

To get the effect you see in the movie I think you'd need to shoot almost nothing but tracers which isn't very practical. Usually it's one every 10 rounds or so. Bit of movie magic in there to accentuate it too. Tracers do look great though.

Speaking of lasers

Some guy made a 40 watt laser in his garage. Now imagine some that are 100-1000 times more powerful and equipping an army with them and you get The Disco Wars. I'm not sure if the lasers the military are cooking up are in the visible spectrum though.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
But see the weapons in Star Wars aren't lasers, they're blasters that shoot intensely heated plasma.
:goonsay:

*pushes up glasses, falls off chair*

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Here's a video of a helicopter shooting tracer rounds out of a minigun. Looks pretty neat.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Zombie Guy posted:

Here's a video of a helicopter shooting tracer rounds out of a minigun. Looks pretty neat.

It does. But trigger warning "o fortuna" and the kind of lovely metal army dudes like in one very short vid.

Someone post the AC-130 killing some people to get the taste out of my mouth. Maybe set to Animal Collective and Tool.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I feel like such a dummy now. I mean, obviously I didn't think anything before the 70s was in black and white but I chalk this mind blowing revelation up to not knowing anything about guns.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

ChogsEnhour posted:

Really liked this film right up until the entirely pointless end act. Theyre a tank crew drat it.. they were meant to TANK.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Re watching mighty morphin power rangers on Netflix and dear God these episodes are formulaic. I can almost tell what's gonna happen within the first 2 minutes.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

oldpainless posted:

Re watching mighty morphin power rangers on Netflix and dear God these episodes are formulaic. I can almost tell what's gonna happen within the first 2 minutes.

They're gonna fight a monster? and then it'll get big and they'll fight it in a robot?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Light Gun Man posted:

They're gonna fight a monster? and then it'll get big and they'll fight it in a robot?

This also describes my sex life. Pretty formulaic too.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
In Terminator 2 miles Dyson walks through the clean room to get The Terminator CPU which negates the point of a clean room.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I love horror movies, at least it's one of the last genres of movies I haven't gotten tired of yet.

I'm watching The Conjuring right now, and yeah it's so far like every movie, but there's one trope I'm so tired of: the little kid in the family making friends with a ghost in the house. So many movies do the exact same thing.

"Sweetie who are you talking to?"

"My new friend George!"

Empty rocking chair.

"Haha Suzy you knucklehead."

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

I love horror movies, at least it's one of the last genres of movies I haven't gotten tired of yet.

I'm watching The Conjuring right now, and yeah it's so far like every movie, but there's one trope I'm so tired of: the little kid in the family making friends with a ghost in the house. So many movies do the exact same thing.

"Sweetie who are you talking to?"

"My new friend George!"

Empty rocking chair.

"Haha Suzy you knucklehead."

I like how in The Shining they actually take Danny's imaginary friend seriously enough to go to a doctor.

It's even more so in the book.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always wanted to see a twist on that idea like in this one episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark:
This family moves into an apartment building and the daughter meets up with an artist in the room down the hall which is, of course, supposed empty. The girl becomes good friends with Madeline a visits her often, but one day Madeline asks her to be sure that she visits after school the next day because it is one day she hates to be alone.

Of course, she meets a new friend at school and accidentally forgets Madeline to go to a concert, but goes over the very next day to apologise, only to find the apartment empty. She turns around to see Maddy crying by the window. She notices the girl and snaps at her "WHY DID YOU BREAK YOUR PROMISE!? You knew that was the one day I hate to be alone." As the girl shortly discovers, that was the day Madeline died. She explains what happened after Maddy calms down the next day, and Maddy realises she can't begrudge her finding new friends outside the apartment, and it all has a rather sweet resolution, where the girl explains the situation to her mother and they arrange with the landlord that they will move to the 'unrentable' room. The landlord has no idea about Madeline, he just knows noone ever wants to stick around in that room, and allows the switch. The family are now living with Madeline and they have a ghost buddy now, and Madeline is never alone again :3:.

I wanna see more ghost stories like that, of course they would mainly be childrens movies. The closest I've seen is Paranorman.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
Just binged the series Merlin.

It starts off pretty strong for the first 3 seasons, but come the fourth when they stop with the independent story per episode and start with the over arcing Morgana stuff it drops the ball.

But my IIMM with it is the inconsistency with Merlin's magic, in the very first episode he's just looking at poo poo and having it float around and do errands for him and stuff, and then when he starts actually practising and training in magic he starts having to say some incantation to do the same thing. And then they don't even stick to the same chants to do the same things, it just gets a bit sloppy.

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.
In The Hateful Eight why the hell does John Ruth keep telling every random stranger he meets along the road exactly who his bounty is and how much she's worth? If I was carrying a briefcase with $200,000 and walked into a bar, I sure as hell wouldn't go "Listen up everybody! This briefcase I've got here is full of $200,000 that I'm going to turn in at the bank, so don't go getting any funny ideas about taking it from me!" Seems kinda shortsighted for a big shot professional bounty hunter.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Moacher posted:

In The Hateful Eight why the hell does John Ruth keep telling every random stranger he meets along the road exactly who his bounty is and how much she's worth? If I was carrying a briefcase with $200,000 and walked into a bar, I sure as hell wouldn't go "Listen up everybody! This briefcase I've got here is full of $200,000 that I'm going to turn in at the bank, so don't go getting any funny ideas about taking it from me!" Seems kinda shortsighted for a big shot professional bounty hunter.

People might otherwise be curious as to why he has a woman in chains...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Light Gun Man posted:

Don't forget the part at the end where it looks like the monster might actually win, and then they pull out their ultimate death sword at the last second and win the battle in a single strike.

Why don't they use the sword earlier? Reasons!

Same thing applies to Pacific Rim but it was kinda an homage so I can understand that more.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Narrative causality is a big deal.

You do something because that's how it's done. That's all.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Zaphod42 posted:

Don't forget the part at the end where it looks like the monster might actually win, and then they pull out their ultimate death sword at the last second and win the battle in a single strike.

Same thing applies to Pacific Rim but it was kinda an homage so I can understand that more.

you think the energy to transport a giant fuckoff sword is cheap? hell no, you try your best to win without it so zordon doesn't bitch about the power bill.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Light Gun Man posted:

They should introduce light saber nunchaku and have someone untrained use them and it ends up like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8Tw4JhzORM

Not that Cube is any sort of cinematic masterpiece, but it always bothered me that the wire mesh thing somehow got "under" him. Like...we can see the bottom bracket/frame of it that should have stopped at his boots or something.

Should have just hadwires that went across the entire height and width of the room right into the walls/ceiling, like the lasers in the Resident Evil example.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

DrBouvenstein posted:

Not that Cube is any sort of cinematic masterpiece, but it always bothered me that the wire mesh thing somehow got "under" him. Like...we can see the bottom bracket/frame of it that should have stopped at his boots or something.

Should have just hadwires that went across the entire height and width of the room right into the walls/ceiling, like the lasers in the Resident Evil example.

Thank you, that bothered kid me so much

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Zaphod42 posted:

Ha ha. holy poo poo. I used to watch the old Ultra Man tv show when I was a kid and, in every episode, Ultra Man hosed up the monster with the specicum (?) beam or whatever it was. The finishing move. My grandmother always asked me why he didn't just use that poo poo in the first place.

My answer? "Duh. He had to weaken the monster first". Otherwise it wouldn't work. :colbert:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Elfgames posted:

you think the energy to transport a giant fuckoff sword is cheap? hell no, you try your best to win without it so zordon doesn't bitch about the power bill.

I like the reason given by this webcomic :3:

http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/archives/comic/maybe-he-just-wasnt-paying-attention

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

That was good but i don't know. I think I still like the reason they gave in the movie better.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

I always wanted to see a twist on that idea like in this one episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark:

Snip

The family are now living with Madeline and they have a ghost buddy now, and Madeline is never alone again :3:.

I wanna see more ghost stories like that, of course they would mainly be childrens movies. The closest I've seen is Paranorman.

Beetlejuice.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

People might otherwise be curious as to why he has a woman in chains...

I thought it was weird too. I mean, he can explain "I'm a bounty hunter, this is a criminal, don't worry about it," without also adding "but this particular criminal happens to be worth a ridiculous amount of money so please don't do anything to stop me from getting all that money for myself thanks."

I did think he was probably doing it as a show of toughness/confidence to discourage people (this guy must be prepared to defend himself if he's so open about it), but it still seemed unnecessarily risky.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

rydiafan posted:

Beetlejuice.

Forgot about that one.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Parasol Prophet posted:

I thought it was weird too. I mean, he can explain "I'm a bounty hunter, this is a criminal, don't worry about it," without also adding "but this particular criminal happens to be worth a ridiculous amount of money so please don't do anything to stop me from getting all that money for myself thanks."

I did think he was probably doing it as a show of toughness/confidence to discourage people (this guy must be prepared to defend himself if he's so open about it), but it still seemed unnecessarily risky.

He's pretty clearly characterised as a cocky braggart though

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Avengers: Age of Ultron:

How come Vision never did the Vision thing he's actually known for? Phasing through walls and people and poo poo? Where WAS everyone for 20 minutes at a time? Banner hulked out during the finale and then was just gone for a while. How do they always manage to re-assemble being that spread out? Half of them can't fly but they always wind up together. SHIELD somehow seemed to know where to show up at just the right time.

I rather enjoyed the movie as the loud, crazy mess it was, but there were some really crazy continuity errors in it.

And so Ultron's Big Plan was to float an island into the air and drop it? Why? He just could have kept Ultroning and build his robots like swarms of insects. I liked Vision as a character and his look but his power set seemed ambiguous and weird. Why did he decide to just arbitrarily grow a loving cape anyway?

Lastly, did I miss it or were Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch's origins never properly explained?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

BiggerBoat posted:

How come Vision never did the Vision thing he's actually known for? Phasing through walls and people and poo poo? Where WAS everyone for 20 minutes at a time? Banner hulked out during the finale and then was just gone for a while. How do they always manage to re-assemble being that spread out? Half of them can't fly but they always wind up together. SHIELD somehow seemed to know where to show up at just the right time.

I rather enjoyed the movie as the loud, crazy mess it was, but there were some really crazy continuity errors in it.

And so Ultron's Big Plan was to float an island into the air and drop it? Why? He just could have kept Ultroning and build his robots like swarms of insects. I liked Vision as a character and his look but his power set seemed ambiguous and weird. Why did he decide to just arbitrarily grow a loving cape anyway?

Lastly, did I miss it or were Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch's origins never properly explained?

There was one scene where Ultron punchs through an Ultron Bot's chest and it basically looked like a callback to his phasing powers. It is weird he didn't do any actual phasing though. I guess they figured it would be hard for audiences to follow when he's already pulling powers out of his rear end like cape making.

Ultron's plan was to basically recreate a meteor smashing into earth and wiping out humanity. Ultron bots fell apart like they were made of paper (which really undermined the big showdown at the drill) so just building a swarm of them would have been useless.

The twin's origin was sorta explained in an after credits scene in Winter Soldier; they used the power of Loki's staff to create them

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Also, capes are loving amazing and if you don't think Thor was rocking his (where Vision got the inspiration) then you sir are wrong and a heathen. :colbert:

I thought there was a quick shot of him phasing through some bots in the final big battle scene.

As far as the missing people, basically it was a city wide battle so Hulk was smashing poo poo on one side of town, while the heroes were smashing poo poo on the other side.

They all met up at the center of town cause, well, it's the center of town and where the doohickey was that they needed to keep the bots from.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Because he thinks capes are cool.

He gives Thor a look before he does it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

There's a lot to get irrationally irritated about Avengers: AOU. For instance, why add he cape if you're not going to do his phasing power? Meaning his ONLY power in the comics at least.

edit: Why did Ulton build himself a mouth for crying out loud?

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 23:11 on Jan 23, 2016

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

BiggerBoat posted:

There's a lot to get irrationally irritated about Avengers: AOU. For instance, why add he cape if you're not going to do his phasing power?

I dont see the connection between these two things; Why does he need to phase because he has a cape? I know density shifting is his main power in the comics (though for the record he can also fly, is super strong and can shoot a laser from his head-gem thingy), but if they are going to change it for the movie why does that mean they should have dropped the cape from his costume?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Don't know if it's been posted but I'm currently watching Promethius and there's a part where they walk into a room on an unknown planet, decide that the room has a breathable atmosphere, and all continue to take their helmets off. No scientist would do this and ignore the infinite combination of deaths the helmet is preventing that could be outside of the one square foot of alien planet you're standing in.

I haven't even made it halfway through, so I might be back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Prometheus: or, How I Stopped Worrying And Learned To Love Ostensibly Intelligent People Making Really Stupid Decisions