Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Are the ears actual speakers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

drat Dirty Ape posted:

See, this is pretty reasonable. It's a shame that PGabz, Beer, Melkor, Eonwe, Lowtax, a neurotic jew, or somebody else will be along soon to ban you or make it so nobody can read your post without clicking on it.

This was not a comment on SC censorship (or lack of thereof) and more musing on why Loish would be reluctant to come back to posting here. We are not cultish or Toxic but the gestalt of the thread regular residents is that this thing is unsalvageable hot garbage and that communal voice is rather loud.

I think Its a "i guess we can only agree to disagree" kind of thing.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Scruffpuff posted:

Couldn't she find an even older picture for her Twitter account? Like maybe when she was a fetus?

I can't read her tweets with that picture next to them without thinking she's angry when she wrote it. She looks so pissed off.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

spacetoaster posted:

Yes.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/axent-wear-cat-ear-headphones#/

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

Seems so

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Daztek posted:

Seems so

Huh, now that's a product I wouldn't personally want. I mean, I can't claim it's a completely stupid idea, but it certainly turns me off.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

aleksendr posted:

We are not cultish or Toxic but the gestalt of the thread regular residents is that this thing is unsalvageable hot garbage and that communal voice is rather loud.

Yeah the type of masochist that would subject themselves to posting in this thread supporting SC on a regular basis is not going to be a reasonable person, a reasonable person would either change their mind or stop following the thread. Loissoishoih seemed reasonable to me.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Seems like the perfect way to piss everyone around off. I'll take two!

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Huh, now that's a product I wouldn't personally want. I mean, I can't claim it's a completely stupid idea, but it certainly turns me off.

Why ? Its perfect for when the whole subway wagon need to know about your exquisite tastes in the Kawaï animu and chiptunes genre.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

aleksendr posted:

This was not a comment on SC censorship (or lack of thereof) and more musing on why Loish would be reluctant to come back to posting here. We are not cultish or Toxic but the gestalt of the thread regular residents is that this thing is unsalvageable hot garbage and that communal voice is rather loud.

I think Its a "i guess we can only agree to disagree" kind of thing.

My post was more for our reddit friends who are reading this thread. The thing is, the majority of people posting in this thread may think that SC is a dumpster fire and may even mock and ridicule true believers, but you could still post whatever pro-star citizen thing you want without it being downvoted into oblivion by the masses or deleted by mods purely because they disagree with you.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
if SC were to come out like even 75% complete (depending on which 75% lol) I would totally consider getting a computer that could run it and goon up, however, its not going to happen no matter how much anyone wishes, dreams, or throws money at it. It's not possible for this game to meet the expectations imagined by the community. Therefore, its fun to make fun of people who believe. I don't doubt that many people in this thread would be thrilled if the tides changed to where it was looking like real progress was being made. I would be surprised if many others didn't feel the same.

But no I guess we all are just evil trolls who hate everything idk

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beet Wagon posted:

28th I think. I don't know why I thought it started today. I guess because they emailed it to me today.

I haven't really been paying attention.

I'll be your division buddy :hfive:

The secret password: mustard :wink:

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

drat Dirty Ape posted:

My post was more for our reddit friends who are reading this thread. The thing is, the majority of people posting in this thread may think that SC is a dumpster fire and may even mock and ridicule true believers, but you could still post whatever pro-star citizen thing you want without it being downvoted into oblivion by the masses or deleted by mods purely because they disagree with you.

And as long as you are not a completely insane rear end in a top hat, everyone will read your post and hear you voice your opinion no matter how wrong for however long you want to voice it. Your not going to just vanish because you don't march to the same tune. This is the fundamental difference between the two forums. And why Reddit is a poo poo, echo-chamber, circlejerk in comparison.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I totally agree with you on that but I was unaware Reddit browsed us seriously. I mean arent we supposed to be the lowest of the low, not even "worth pissing on to put out the flames" toxic and immature community ?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I don't doubt that many people in this thread would be thrilled if the tides changed to where it was looking like real progress was being made. I would be surprised if many others didn't feel the same.

But no I guess we all are just evil trolls who hate everything idk

Well now, too be fair, if the game actually comes out and is good, I still probably wouldn't buy it. Not a big space game fan, more of a trainwreck fan. I'd probably end up waiting for a steam sale. That said, I certainly wouldn't laugh at it anymore, I'd just stop paying any attention at all.

So ya, split between those who would buy it, and those who don't really care one way or the other.

aleksendr posted:

I totally agree with you on that but I was unaware Reddit browsed us seriously. I mean arent we supposed to be the lowest of the low, not even "worth pissing on to put out the flames" toxic and immature community ?

For some reason Star Citizen based Reddit has taken a real interest in what we say over here. I think it's because the assumption is we are all Derek Smart.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 22, 2016

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

aleksendr posted:

Lowtax should goldmine the thread, and force all the redditors who want to read to buy an account. :homebrew:

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

So ya, split between those who would buy it, and those who don't really care one way or the other.

thats fair enough. I never bought into the game personally due to the pricing thing (this would have to go away for me to consider it) and stayed for the WTF.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Eventually that chair is going to collapse

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

For Chris' Sakes, someone help Ben. Splurge a little on a personal trainer or something.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
IDK how santa monica is for commuting but ben could probably start walking to work and it would make a decent impact if he stopped mowing down the pizza like in that one livestream

I would suggest a bike if thats not reasonable but lol

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

You know,I never really got a good handle on exactly how big Ben is; I tend to read this thread on my teeny-weeny smartphone on the bus to work because otherwise I'd not have time to keep up with it, so I've not watched much in the way of video content. But something like this suddenly draws all of those goon posts rabbiting on about how concerned they are about his health into really sharp focus.

Like no-one's physically perfect, but it takes YEARS of neglect to get to that stage. How old is he again?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
ALPHA PU runs like ben on a bicycle

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Well now, too be fair, if the game actually comes out and is good, I still probably wouldn't buy it. Not a big space game fan, more of a trainwreck fan. I'd probably end up waiting for a steam sale. That said, I certainly wouldn't laugh at it anymore, I'd just stop paying any attention at all.

For some reason Star Citizen based Reddit has taken a real interest in what we say over here. I think it's because the assumption is we are all Derek Smart.

Well I mean to be fair to them this is where we lay out all of our SUPER SECRET PLANS to destroy their game. :shrug:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

He's plopping up and down on an asswiper :stare:

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

IDK how santa monica is for commuting

Well, my friend who works in Santa Monica lives about 3 miles from his office and the commute via car is 30 minutes. Walking seems like it would be better to me, but who am I to judge I love driving.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

fargom posted:

Well, my friend who works in Santa Monica lives about 3 miles from his office and the commute via car is 30 minutes. Walking seems like it would be better to me, but who am I to judge I love driving.

I love driving its fun, but I, and I'll assume you, can fit into cars that are actually fun to drive

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'll be your division buddy :hfive:

The secret password: mustard :wink:

Excellent! Maybe we can get a handful of threadmen together to be dumb in Plague New York or whatever that game's about.

Password confirmation phrase is "snodgrass"

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUAAAAAAAGH-UURP!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That Works posted:

This is really awesome Tallardar, I haven't played EVE in years and didn't know this was a thing. I am a biotech researcher IRL so kinda cool. I recognize a lot of this stuff.

Yeah it was pretty neat. Hard to solve the puzzles though but still something I think has a lot of potential, I really do hope CCP see the benefit of developing a mobile/tablet version to use as well.

Shame I couldn't solve space cancer and all those kids died though :smith:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Unfunny Poster posted:

Yeah it was pretty neat. Hard to solve the puzzles though but still something I think has a lot of potential, I really do hope CCP see the benefit of developing a mobile/tablet version to use as well.

Well poo poo I might have to install Eve. I just looked at my old account list. Any way to tell what characters skills exist on an account that is not active? I have like 4 accounts and I know 2 of them have really solid pilots on them but the other 2 I cant remember if they were just spy alts or if I actually had some meaningful skills there.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Those buttons on the front of his shirt are doing a heroic job.

*edit* loving hell this gif is hypnotic.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 22, 2016

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

if anyone is interested in drinking like a babby sandi

http://www.cosping.com/en/playtex-playtime-insulated-spill-proof-straw-cups-2-pack-sports

the exact model above, top is slightly different.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

At first I saw it on Chris and I thought it was dumb.

Now I want one myself, and another for my totally-real-catgirl-wife-u.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

That Works posted:

Well poo poo I might have to install Eve. I just looked at my old account list. Any way to tell what characters skills exist on an account that is not active? I have like 4 accounts and I know 2 of them have really solid pilots on them but the other 2 I cant remember if they were just spy alts or if I actually had some meaningful skills there.

If you have the log in info, go to api.eveonline.com and get the API there, then use a program like EVEMon to see what skills you have.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Unfunny Poster posted:

If you have the log in info, go to api.eveonline.com and get the API there, then use a program like EVEMon to see what skills you have.

Thanks. I have them and that's exactly what I was thinking of.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Chalks posted:

Those buttons on the front of his shirt are doing a heroic job.

I was just going to post that, jesus christ get some help ben.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Scruffpuff posted:

Update from the RSI site:

Controlling Your Spaceman

"We've made mention over the years about the technology we're using, and how we've got top-notch developers all over the world making things happen that have never happened before. In a recent broadcast, Disco Lando made a statement that really cuts to the heart of our efforts here at CIG: "In Star Citizen, you're not controlling your spaceship. You're controlling your spaceman controlling your spaceship." This philosophy has guided our efforts from the very beginning, and we'd like to take some time to dive into this with you, our loyal backers."

"To fully understand our goals here, where you are controlling your spaceman who is controlling your spaceship, we had to dig into some of the most fundamental questions, such as "what is consciousness", "how do brain signals translate into the nerve impulses required to make a simple motion, such as your hand closing", and "how does the greater energy expenditure of a heterotrophic organism translate into higher cognitive function?" Fortunately, our modified version of CryEngine is already coded with the answers to these, and many other, fundamental questions related to controlling your spaceman who is controlling your spaceship."

"Since we had the foresight to settle on such a perfect engine for the game we envisioned, it was really a simple matter to translate that into you controlling your spaceman who is controlling your spaceship. Let us take you through the step-by-step of what the code is simulating each time you log into the 'Verse!"

- Your logon and password are parsed by the system and, if valid, we spin up an instance of a "virtual mind" - this mind has no independent thought (our NPCs will be able to think independently using a proprietary AI algorithm years beyond our competition) and is simply waiting for you to inhabit its mindspace
- We then "wake up" the virtual mind. What many of you think is a canned animation is actually a complex simulation of a fully adult human male with no history or state of mind waking up as if coming to life for the first time - since these are his first steps ever, this is why it looks hesitant and uncertain - we are creating virtual life!
- At this point, each keyboard/mouse/joystick input is translated by the server into the appropriate brain and nerve impulses in your spaceman that are eventually translated into things like forward locomotion, standing, jumping, and so on. Since all of these nerve impulses are simulated, it might look, to the untrained eye, like defective physics and improper, badly-coded animation. But nothing could be further from the truth! We have recreated the inner workings of life itself in our game, and what you're seeing is some of the most complex code ever devised!
- When you use the "F" key to use an item, such as a ladder, we imprint a desire in the spaceman AI to complete a contextual task; in this case, climbing a ladder. And again, what looks like a canned animation is actually the simulated neurological processes of your spaceman's brain deciding how to move his limbs, grip the rungs, keep his balance, etc. This is why it looks so terrible - you're not realizing that this is a newly created form of virtual life taking his first steps! If the animation were canned, we obviously could have made it look much better, like countless other games have for decades. The fact that it looks bad, and is unskippable, is proof of our advanced approach.
- Finally, when you sit in the pilot's seat, every single move you make is filtered through this simulated neurological system into the physical movements the spaceman needs to make the fly the spaceship. In much the same way as an experienced driver doesn't think about hitting the gas to "go", your spaceman understands when you push forward, that means to apply throttle, so he does so. You're not controlling the ship - you're controlling the man!
- A negative side-effect so far, that we're currently working on, is that given enough time in the simulation, many of the spacemen gain a level of awareness. This manifests as janky controls, unresponsive inputs, and lag. Once the spaceman starts questioning the nature of his reality, textures may appear to pop in and out - this is normal, as the spaceman is trying to reconcile what he sees with what he thinks he knows. If enough spacemen become aware, it overloads the server CPU which manifests in a server crash. All these things are simply the result of such an advanced system as ours, and we're working around the clock to get them resolved. There should never be a situation where you are not in full control of your spaceman.

"We hope this insight helps you appreciate the incredibly immersion and fidelity we've baked into our product from the very start. See you in the 'Verse!"

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Dapper Dan posted:

I was just going to post that, jesus christ get some help ben.

I wonder how much of the $100 million are spent on new shirts because it doesn't look like they last very long.

• Locked thread