Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
Do your LGS tournaments or casual game nights typically allow alcohol? I'm going to assume no, which is a bummer. Having a few good beers and flying wangs sounds like a good time to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Prophecy120 posted:

Do your LGS tournaments or casual game nights typically allow alcohol? I'm going to assume no, which is a bummer. Having a few good beers and flying wangs sounds like a good time to me.

Maybe try a "gamer bar."

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

This thread has like a 80-100 page limit before a mandatory discussion on the inclusion/exclusion of the Assault Gunboat comes up.

It's really just a matter of time before FFG release it, provided they're not ignoring it because they hate it's esthetics or because they don't want to add another munitions boat to Imps for gameplay reasons.

Prophecy120 posted:

With how much accidental bumping occurs between players who are sober, this sounds like a terrible idea that I would wholeheartedly endorse anyway. Would probably require a magnetized playmat just to be safe.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 22, 2016

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Prophecy120 posted:

there's a store here that sells beer.

it works exactly how you would expect it to. just warhams yelling at each other.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Prophecy120 posted:

Team Covenant's local store wants to sell beer. They have glasses and sinks and a bar. They're just waiting on their beer license (and have been for like 6 months, drat bureaucracy).

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
The FFG Game Center here in Roseville has beer on tap, wine, fountain drinks, locally-roasted coffee, and a full kitchen :D We're pretty spoiled. Yesterday I had a great pulled pork sandwich with some slaw and fries while we played LOTR LCG and X-Wing.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Prophecy120 posted:

Mine sells it and a lot of people appreciate it. I just like that they do diet coke and cake.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

So when running an event, is set-up usually on the clock?

Like, when I start the round clock do players start deploying, or should I let them deploy before the clock starts and first planning phase starts then?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Otisburg posted:

So when running an event, is set-up usually on the clock?

Like, when I start the round clock do players start deploying, or should I let them deploy before the clock starts and first planning phase starts then?

At the minimum, wait until everyone has placed at least one obstacle down. At max, until they've placed all obstacles and are in the process of placing ships. Then start the clock.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

pbpancho posted:

The FFG Game Center here in Roseville has beer on tap, wine, fountain drinks, locally-roasted coffee, and a full kitchen :D We're pretty spoiled. Yesterday I had a great pulled pork sandwich with some slaw and fries while we played LOTR LCG and X-Wing.

That's awesome. I sounds like it just depends on the store then. I'll have to shop around here in Houston and hopefully find a place like that.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

guts and bolts posted:

"Joke's on you I was only pretending to be an unfunny idiot!!" :master:

You do realize I literally just copy pasted your rant and replaced a couple words right?

Like holy poo poo I would usually keep this going because its hilarious but I like the x wing thread and would rather post about wangs :smith:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

pbpancho posted:

pulled pork in minnesota is "great"? I don't believe you.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
One of our FLGS is pretty much a star wars themed bar

Yeah...it's as goony as it sounds.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

quote:

The owners are also serving drinks based on the series, like Bantha Milk, a blue-coloured liquid produced by a female bantha’s mammary glands.

OK but what is it really?

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

alg posted:

It's not "great" compared to what I could get in TX or KC or something like that, or a real BBQ joint. But drat good for a GAME STORE.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

AndyElusive posted:

OK but what is it really?

Bantha cosplayer milk

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

alg posted:

I should be able to go down again to see ya guys in regionals this summer. Where are some good bbq places down there?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

pbpancho posted:

It's not "great" compared to what I could get in TX or KC

:dogbutton:

Chill la Chill posted:

I should be able to go down again to see ya guys in regionals this summer. Where are some good bbq places down there?

In Raleigh? Clyde Coopers or Old Time. NOT THE PIT.

Outside of Raleigh? Ask in the NC thread, there are tons.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

alg posted:

the k-wing owns son. star wars ships are based off wwII planes. the k-wing looks like this guy

ball turret supremacy.

A couple weeks ago I finished a Metal Earth Lancaster bomber model and my wife joked that there's an R2D2 in the back. I had a forehead slap moment where I realized that was probably the specific inspiration.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
So, in Vassal is there anyway to guarantee your opponent isn't changing their dial while it is flipped over while I am doing my moves? Like, if my PS1 ship does a straight 3, and my opponent knows their PS9 ship will bump it when he moves, what is to stop him from rotating his dial to a different maneuver without me knowing it? Or is the answer simply, "don't play with shitheads"?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Chill la Chill posted:

Do you have to live in that region to enter that regional? One of the local FLGS in my midwestern city here is applying for a regional, and I'm wondering I can go to my local regional AND the Minneapolis regional. We could have a little mini goon-wang meetup. (or is that weird)

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Has anyone run Juno with Stay On Target? My spidey-senses are tingling.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

enigmahfc posted:

So, in Vassal is there anyway to guarantee your opponent isn't changing their dial while it is flipped over while I am doing my moves? Like, if my PS1 ship does a straight 3, and my opponent knows their PS9 ship will bump it when he moves, what is to stop him from rotating his dial to a different maneuver without me knowing it? Or is the answer simply, "don't play with shitheads"?

I immediately flip my dial over and show the other person then put the dial on the table and execute the maneuver. If someone is picking up a dial and fiddling with it for a second before showing you... maybe start watching him more closely.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

Do you have to live in that region to enter that regional? One of the local FLGS in my midwestern city here is applying for a regional, and I'm wondering I can go to my local regional AND the Minneapolis regional. We could have a little mini goon-wang meetup. (or is that weird)

you can play in any regional you want to play. even in other countries

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Assault gunboats rule, and definitely read as part of the Lambda inspired imperial aesthetic. And chalk me up as one of those kids who played too much Tie Fighter, as the Defender is my second favorite after the gunboat.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Finster Dexter posted:

I immediately flip my dial over and show the other person then put the dial on the table and execute the maneuver. If someone is picking up a dial and fiddling with it for a second before showing you... maybe start watching him more closely.

He is talking about the computer program Vassal, not in real life.

I'm pretty sure if a player changes their dial while it is on the map you get a notification in the chat window that they have performed an illegal move. As long as their dial stays on the map you should be fine.

I've only played around with Vassal a little bit though but you could go test it yourself in an offline game.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

ranbo das posted:

You do realize I literally just copy pasted your rant and replaced a couple words right?

Like holy poo poo I would usually keep this going because its hilarious but I like the x wing thread and would rather post about wangs :smith:

He's saying that the sick burn you thought you were making by doing that was actually bad okay

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

KongGeorgeVII posted:

He is talking about the computer program Vassal, not in real life.

I'm pretty sure if a player changes their dial while it is on the map you get a notification in the chat window that they have performed an illegal move. As long as their dial stays on the map you should be fine.

I've only played around with Vassal a little bit though but you could go test it yourself in an offline game.

Having played on Vassal a few times, I can confirm this. They should be placing the dials on the map when set and then revealing it from there, and it will report and changes.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

alg posted:

you can play in any regional you want to play. even in other countries

Yeah they just give you a little card that says you get a bye if you win. Redeemable at any nationals event. Same for all tiers of competitive play.

E: This is because, unlike MTG, X-wing allows for open registration at any tier of play. So you don't have tournaments that feed into specific prestigious ones.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Foolster41 posted:

Having played on Vassal a few times, I can confirm this. They should be placing the dials on the map when set and then revealing it from there, and it will report and changes.

Ah okay, I guess I should pay attention to notifications then, because me and friend were learning it last night and we were just changing the dials while they were flipped over on the map. I guess we should that from our player tray.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Prophecy120 posted:

Store league at Atomic Empire lets us drink booze for league games. It's a good time.

Chill la Chill posted:

It's not a dangling ballsack, however. Though this does give me a good idea and I'll probably cut it off

Remember to spay and neuter your pets!

EDIT:

alg posted:

NOT THE PIT.

I'm a relatively new transplant so I haven't been yet, but I heard The Pit was really good. Please explain why it is bad?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

The Pit is cool if you like microwaved barbecue.

Really though their chicken is really good. Just skip the barbecue. Go to someplace with history like clyde coopers or Old time

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

alg posted:

Really though their chicken is really good. Just skip the barbecue. Go to someplace with history like clyde coopers or Old time

Thanks for the heads up. As a filthy carpetbagger I've missed out on decade of delicious barbeque, to the point where the fast-food BBQ place serves sandwiches I like (beef brisket with horseradish for dipping), but I think I oughta try to good stuff just so I can be a discerning barbeque consumer

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

alg posted:

Yup, this forever. Their ribs are pretty good too, but really the place as a whole is nothing to write home about. It's just fancy and expensive, so people want it to be good because they paid $20+ for BBQ that should have been less than half that. Rule of thumb for BBQ joints: the more run down and lovely looking it is, the better it is. The only exception to this is Clyde's, which juuuuust got renovated like a year ago.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

enigmahfc posted:

Yeah, the proper procedure is dials to your hand, set them, flip them down, back to map. Then if they're changed while on the map it tells everyone. Then reveal there on the map. Rinse and repeat.

I'm sure you have good BBQ too but I've been to KC and TX recently and had lots. Don't worry though, pulled pork isn't the only option at FFG. Flatbreads, Poutine, salads, burgers, grilled cheese, mac n cheese, all darn tasty!

And to the guy thinking of attending the MN regional, if you do, let me know! I won't be playing (employees can't play anything higher than Store Champs), but I'll likely be judging or something.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Chill la Chill posted:

Right, and I'm fine with those. Like I said, twin laser turret. It's not a dangling ballsack, however. Though this does give me a good idea and I'll probably cut it off, slice off a portion of the ball, and attach it to the base of the chin so it looks more like a ball turret.

Put it on the back between the engines and you can have K-wing Nutz.

Also

The Gate posted:

Rule of thumb for BBQ joints: the more run down and lovely looking it is, the better it is.

is true. And also also gently caress you research triangle area nerds for having good barbecue, nobody down here knows how to do a proper vinegar sauce and it's killing me.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Tried Vassary, Tractor, TIE/D, TIE Mk2, VI and four PS1 FOs against Vader with VI, ATC, Omega leader with juke/comms and two other FO aces with crack shot.

Vassary and pals wrecked, only lost one FO. I think Vassery is going to be the standout pilot of the Defender. He's seriously really good with the double tap and a mini-swarm of TIEs with TLs. I was making sure to spread the TLs around so whoever he shot, he would still get the re-rolls. Can't wait :woop:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

pbpancho posted:

And to the guy thinking of attending the MN regional, if you do, let me know! I won't be playing (employees can't play anything higher than Store Champs), but I'll likely be judging or something.

kk, will do

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Tekopo posted:

Tried Vassary, Tractor, TIE/D, TIE Mk2, VI and four PS1 FOs against Vader with VI, ATC, Omega leader with juke/comms and two other FO aces with crack shot.

Vassary and pals wrecked, only lost one FO. I think Vassery is going to be the standout pilot of the Defender. He's seriously really good with the double tap and a mini-swarm of TIEs with TLs. I was making sure to spread the TLs around so whoever he shot, he would still get the re-rolls. Can't wait :woop:

That sounds pretty awesome. Noob formation flying question: Do you fly Vessery in formation with everyone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

pbpancho posted:

True story, I didn't realize FFG was local when I picked up X-Wing. I thought they were based out of Chicago for some reason. But now I'm spoiled with a giant community for it, so yay :buddy:

• Locked thread