Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm starting to think maybe that guy is totally fine and she's gonna end up breaking his heart instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I'm reading Octave at the moment and this idol manager guy at the start is a huge jerk oh my god.

E: Also I am melting.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 22, 2016

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Everything Burrito posted:

I'm starting to think maybe that guy is totally fine and she's gonna end up breaking his heart instead.

Yes, I'm really worried about that too :(

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

jackofarcades posted:

Yes, I'm really worried about that too :(

I think she probably needs to go through both sides of a breakup and also maybe have a normal relationship for a little while. It's kinda obvious she'll eventually end up with Shunin but they both need to get their poo poo together before it'll work.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

In more Octave news, I was really worried that Setsuko and Yukino were going to break up after Yukino did it with some random guy she didn't even have fun with. It seems like this kind of event would usually end up with a big dramatic separation in these stories to prevent them from being a happy couple. Which would have been annoying. Hopefully now she's pretty confident that she's not really that into guys. ...right?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Everything Burrito posted:

I always feel bad for the Second Guy in shoujo stories. You know from the very beginning he's going to get poo poo on and that he only exists as a plot device to 1. make the main character feel better about herself and 2. mature as a person so she'll be ready for the First Guy.

Also for some reason Second Guy's are usually color-coded with lighter hair than the dark/black-haired First Guy.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ytlaya posted:

I always feel bad for the Second Guy in shoujo stories. You know from the very beginning he's going to get poo poo on and that he only exists as a plot device to 1. make the main character feel better about herself and 2. mature as a person so she'll be ready for the First Guy.

Also for some reason Second Guy's are usually color-coded with lighter hair than the dark/black-haired First Guy.

I think the Second Guy I felt the worst for is the one in Kimi wa Pet. That guy got poo poo on a ton and IIRC (it's been a long time since I read it) he was probably the better guy, or at least wasn't a Nice Guy emotional sponge like Momo. I really liked it the first time I read it years ago but when I re-read it a few years ago pretty much the whole way Hasumi or whatever his name was ended up being treated left a bad taste in my mouth.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kind of related to my previous post, but are there any (good) shoujo comics where the guy ends up with someone other than the first person they meet/obvious love interest? I guess I could ask the same thing about shounen/seinen romance, though usually in that case the guy doesn't actually end up dating one of the other girls first.

edit: My favorite shoujo romance is the one in Kodomo no Omocha. I haven't read/watched that series since high school, but I remember it being funny as heck.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
hmmm...Mairunovich maybe? I only read a few chapters of it so I'm mostly just going off comments that talk about her having different boyfriends so I can't say for sure that it does (also can't say if it's good or not lol).

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 23, 2016

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Kind of related to my previous post, but are there any (good) shoujo comics where the guy ends up with someone other than the first person they meet/obvious love interest? I guess I could ask the same thing about shounen/seinen romance, though usually in that case the guy doesn't actually end up dating one of the other girls first.

edit: My favorite shoujo romance is the one in Kodomo no Omocha. I haven't read/watched that series since high school, but I remember it being funny as heck.
I'm gonna put this in spoilers for other people--just in case.

Paradise Kiss

e: it's not just good, it's excellent.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 23, 2016

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

full dozer
the girl in koukou debut goes on like 1 date with another guy, but it should be obvious who she actually ends up
tonari no atashi

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Ytlaya posted:

Cat Street. Still one of my favorites!

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
You're all spoiling these titles, aren't you? :(

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its kinda a spoilprone question :(

anyway just read full dozer, its great

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

nina is dope

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Kylra posted:

In more Octave news, I was really worried that Setsuko and Yukino were going to break up after Yukino did it with some random guy she didn't even have fun with. It seems like this kind of event would usually end up with a big dramatic separation in these stories to prevent them from being a happy couple. Which would have been annoying. Hopefully now she's pretty confident that she's not really that into guys. ...right?

Yeah, I think Yukino was just curious, especially since Setsuko told her about having sex with guys in the past but she just got no emotional satisfaction out of it and didn't realize Setsuko was actually serious about having a relationship with her. Yukino's biggest problem is her complete insecurity, but I like to think Setsuko clearly picked up on that and sees herself as the emotional rock Yukino needs.

But yeah, don't worry, other than that brief moment, Yukino never expresses any particular interest in men at all. I would say she's more Setsuko-sexual than strictly a lesbian, since she doesn't seem to have attraction to any other woman (I liked that cute lesbian coworker Yukino had, though) , but Octave is very much a yuri series from start to finish.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Davincie posted:

full dozer
the girl in koukou debut goes on like 1 date with another guy, but it should be obvious who she actually ends up
tonari no atashi

the first two of these own and im in the process of reading the third one, so far the main guys little brother is the best little brother

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Hirunaka no Ryuusei
Bitou Lollipop

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mikl posted:

She Loves the Delicious Meat Please Love the Useless Me just got a new chapter.

Everything seems to be going fine. I'm worried :ohdear:

There's going to be a moment where Kurosawa meets new boyfriend and realizes he's a good guy and holy poo poo it's gonna be amazing.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I really hope he's a good guy...

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

I really hope he's a good guy...

So do i, but i also want her and Kurosawa to date so i'm all torn.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I suspect he's mostly what he seems. There's been no hints that something's up, and I think if they were going to pull something like that with no warning it would be with a sillier character.

That's going to make things harder when things go wrong :(

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What if this shoujo takes a swerve and doesn't do what every other one does and she sticks with him

What if that happens

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

well, it would have to be a shoujo first

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Okay, romance series

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Argona posted:

the first two of these own and im in the process of reading the third one, so far the main guys little brother is the best little brother

Ok due to being snowed i finished Tonari no Atashi. Good drama shoujo, ended with the right guy, would recommend to others as well. Also the little bro is still the best.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
A whole bunch of new Tsurezure Children (Wakabayashi Toshiya) uploaded in the last couple of days.

It's good.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
After a long absence, Teasing Titan Takagi is finally back with a new chapter - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Karakai-Jouzu-no-Takagi-san/Vol-003-Ch-018--Test-of-Courage?id=262240

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out Full Dozer and Paradise Kiss first. And yeah, in retrospect it was the sort of question that requires a spoiler for an answer, though to be fair it's usually obvious who the girl will end up with in these stories (though maybe not in the ones mentioned, since my question was specifically asking for ones where it wasn't obvious).

edit: Reading Full Dozer and I want Ryouma to end up with Hayato

Though it's always funny seeing various manga/whatever that talk about all these celebrities being amazing actors, when actual J-drama actors are usually laughably bad.

It's interesting seeing a shoujo that almost entirely focuses on a male protagonist.

edit2: I just finished Full Doser I like in the end when Ryouma is telling Nina how he can't be with her until he is also a famous actor and she is like "lol that is dumb as hell" and just kisses him. I didn't really like Mao much anyways; she even had the nerve to get angry with Ryouma for deciding he didn't want to pursue her anymore, even though she wasn't interested in him. She also didn't really have any personality to speak of aside from "tries hard at stuff." Nina was much better.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jan 24, 2016

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Finally finished reading Full Dozer earlier (had started it since I like Komura's series but lost track), and it was good. Nina really is an all-star, though Ryouma is super cute as well :kimchi: While I liked the ending the final chapter felt a little abrupt, so I'm glad that there was the long extra chapter afterwards. Both the food trivia and fluffy romance scenes were fun!

I think the reason I fell behind on the series early on was because a) love triangles usually aren't my thing and b) Mao wasn't all that enthralling (even though I tend to like characters like her), plus I felt bad for Ryouma. It got way better once Hayato was reintroduced and the drama filming actually got underway though!

I do appreciate how Ryouma got over his rejection relatively quickly. Sure, he did go into a funk and all, but it's not like he went into a total non-functioning state for an obscenely long amount of chapters. While I do like series with drama, I don't like ones with a lot of melodrama and wallowing around. And this one really wasn't! Seeing Ryouma come into his own with Hayato and the acting scenes was fun.

Wouldn't have minded if Ryouma and Hayato got together haha. I also want to know what happened between the two managers... honestly, I enjoyed most of the characters besides Mao herself. She wasn't bad, but she felt underdeveloped compared to Nina. Like that last scene where she calls Ryouma out on recovering "too quickly" from his crush/how he should have pined for her some more was a little undeserved!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I just finished binging the Yona anime and started reading the manga.

Yona is very good, and so is Yona. If she ends up forgiving her cousin that'd be lame though.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 24, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
New chapter of Itoshi no Nekokke :woop:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Lili is great.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Taro-kun wa Kou Miete Igai to xxx Desu.

The title is somewhat convoluted, but it's one of those manga where the boy looks like a delinquent but is an absolute sweetie. :3: A bonus is that it has a bunch of cute kids like Gakuen Babysitters, and the female lead is fairly proactive about her feelings. It's fairly new, though. Not too many chapters out which is a bummer.

I feel like the second page basically sums up the entire manga (plus so many other goodhearted delinquent ones).

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Compendium posted:

Lili is great.

Yes.

Oh hey, I was right about Zeno. Also lol the original Green is just straight up Lancer.

E: caught up

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 25, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nondevor posted:

The title is somewhat convoluted, but it's one of those manga where the boy looks like a delinquent but is an absolute sweetie. :3: A bonus is that it has a bunch of cute kids like Gakuen Babysitters, and the female lead is fairly proactive about her feelings. It's fairly new, though. Not too many chapters out which is a bummer.

I feel like the second page basically sums up the entire manga (plus so many other goodhearted delinquent ones).

this looks cute as hell, gonna read it

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I finished reading Octave and am now a puddle 9/10 would probably cry a little again. it's all your fault Sylphid.

Feels like the end could have used about 3-4 more pages though.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Nondevor posted:

cute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Kylra posted:

I finished reading Octave and am now a puddle 9/10 would probably cry a little again. it's all your fault Sylphid.

Feels like the end could have used about 3-4 more pages though.

Yeah, most of the people in this thread (including myself), thought the ending could have been a little more fleshed out, but it's a minor complaint for an otherwise very good series.