Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Stormgale posted:

What would you recommend to help my fire sprays get into combat then, to help slam damage in on weakened targets?
Icon of Sin got it, pairing Dengar either Vader is amazing and I suggest you try it. I'm not sure if the counter can use the crit icons of not though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

General Battuta posted:

Watching the 2015 worlds final, I had a thought for an Armada house rule. It'd be interesting (?) to see how squadrons worked if they could attach to warships, like beeeeeees

Something like:

When a ship moves, any squadrons in base contact with that ship may move to remain in base contact. If the ship's speed exceeds the squadron's maximum speed, it cannot move to remain in base contact.

And Vader should be able to leave his ship and deploy as a fighter squadron. i cant decide if that should give you a discount on the 2 vader cards or if you should pay extra.

Obviously, you discard the ship card when he deploys.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

And Vader should be able to leave his ship and deploy as a fighter squadron. i cant decide if that should give you a discount on the 2 vader cards or if you should pay extra.

So what do rebels get?

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Han. Or Lando, both commanders and pilots.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Exmond posted:

So what do rebels get?

What they deserve. *huff* *pssssh*

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

The imperials already got the rhymer ball so you should just have to see nothing but ackbar af2 conga lines forever and ever. If rebel bombers could do that I would have a different thought.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Panzeh posted:

The imperials already got the rhymer ball so you should just have to see nothing but ackbar af2 conga lines forever and ever. If rebel bombers could do that I would have a different thought.

First off, I appreciate the serious responses, I learn alot in this thread. But mostly I was just giddy with the idea that Vader could be running a cap ship and then say 'we have to fight them ship to ship... You two. In the costumes.... Come with me. OUT OF MY WAY MOUSE DROID"

If I was going to take it more seriously, I think a list building conceit built around converting a ship upgrade to a fighter wing and have an incentive to store fighter wings on a ship until they were ready for use (probably the squadron value on the ship being the cap on what it could carry?), could introduce an element that I like from other mini games; the troop carrier idea.

Warhammer, which is not a good game, and historical games which have paratroop or beach landing craft present an interesting option to run up a weak and cheap vehicle to your enemy to get a shot at deploying worthwhile troops at a distance where they can have an effect.

Making a commander who can convert to a squadron could present the temptation to put that commander on a fast, cheap ship, instead of your flagship, so that, after the fast cheap ship runs up to the enemy and is about to get destroyed, or gets in the rear arcs, you could dump a medium number of squadrons to make an effective attack. Maybe this would introduce some variety to issues with going all-squadrons or no-squadrons, and medium not being particularly worth it.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Eimi posted:

In a different kind of conversation, are there any paints that are recommended by the people that have gotten into painting their fighters? I've seen Valejo air recommended by other people in TG, but that's more in the GW Death Thread and I presume for bigger minis. Would they work fine?

For painting Armada fighters, I found that painting the squadron line and cockpit on with GW paint, then standing the fighters up with their engines pointing down, with a bent paper clip in the peg hole to keep them standing, and putting on an only slightly watered-down black Army Painter ink then painting on grey over the flat areas and a spot of yellow paint for the engine exhausts looks really good.

I'm still torn about whether to paint the TIEs in classic Empire or New Order colours though.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I've got bigger problems.

I want to paint my ISD blue in honor of admiral Thrawn. But I can't figure out if the shield gens should be red, or if I should just paint big red eyes on the hull.

I'm worried if I do the gens people will think it's the space police. Which might be appropriate with the aims of the empire to restore order to the galaxy, but doesn't feel right.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I want to paint my ISD blue in honor of admiral Thrawn. But I can't figure out if the shield gens should be red, or if I should just paint big red eyes on the hull.

I'm worried if I do the gens people will think it's the space police. Which might be appropriate with the aims of the empire to restore order to the galaxy, but doesn't feel right.

Do both a blue one with red eyes on the front and one painted like a space Crown Vic. Then do the Errant Venture.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Like this: https://cosmosmodels.wordpress.com/2013/11/23/14222-ertl-star-destroyer-errant-venture/

Or all red?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Wookieepiedia's got you covered fpr a Thrawn-appropiate colour scheme. Not sure why they made his ship blue in Empire at War when usually they just assigned officers an icon to their ships, but whatever.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Taran_Wanderer posted:

I think it's closest to Twilight Imperium.

Now I gotta have this no matter what Unnnnggggghhhhhhhh

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I watched the Dice Tower preview of Rebellion and yeah I'm going to be grabbing that. I want the satisfaction of building Death Stars and crushing the Rebellion.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Bright red and tacky as poo poo.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

StashAugustine posted:

Do both a blue one with red eyes on the front and one painted like a space Crown Vic. Then do the Errant Venture.

Go full space police. That sounds awesome

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...
Put googly eyes on the shield generators

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

So I've been losing a ton, trying to take along smaller ships like Glad/Raiders, and VSDs are worthless so...how viable is a dual ISD list? My initial thoughts go to this http://armadawarlords.hivelabs.solutions/view_list.php?token=10277which leaves 3 points to take Relentless on one. I just want ships that don't blow up after encountering a stiff breeze, and ti feels like anything else I bring is just gone before I can even do anything with it.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Tequila Ranger posted:

Put googly eyes on the shield generators

Ok, this would be excellent.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

So at this point, is there any functional Imperial list that doesn't involve a ISD? I wanted to do a VGGG, but if thats just gonna suck, I'll play X-Wing instead.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Kilo147 posted:

So at this point, is there any functional Imperial list that doesn't involve a ISD? I wanted to do a VGGG, but if thats just gonna suck, I'll play X-Wing instead.

Don't see why it wouldn't, but, like, with 100 more points of ship. Maybe VVGGG? Or are you taking a fighter swarm?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

susan posted:

Don't see why it wouldn't, but, like, with 100 more points of ship. Maybe VVGGG? Or are you taking a fighter swarm?

Oh, definitely fighters. Just haven't bought anything since the initial Victory and first Gladiator, hoping the metagame doesn't gently caress me over.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I was never a fan of the VSD, so the ISD is a big fix for the imperial side for me. That being said, the ISD and MC80 are slightly stronger versions of the VSD and assault frigates. They throw a few more dice, have a few more hull, and because of that, upgrades on them are more effective than on the medium and smaller ships for the most part. This DOES NOT mean you have to take the large ships to stand a chance in the game however, but you've absolutely got to have a plan to deal with them. A conga line of assault frigates with maybe an MC30 thrown in with gunnery teams is just as scary as it ever was, especially if Ackbar gets thrown in the mix. I never met a player who made the triple VSD list work, but it's still something you wouldn't want to fly straight towards. You definitely don't HAVE TO use the large ships in the game right now to stay competitive. It feels like the meta for Armada is developing very slowly, so people are still feeling out how to get things working together.

Kilo147 posted:

If you're running that with a decent squadron list as well, you shouldn't have a problem being competitive, however you will be at close range with those gladiators in order to do damage, which means you absolutely will be running into large ship lists who will vaporize one of your gladiators every turn if there is one at even medium range of their strong firing arc. The trick is either not landing there in the first place and trying to flank, trading one ship so that the others can pound the poo poo out of the enemy in return, or presenting a more important/tempting target than a gladiator and hoping the bait is taken.

Reynold fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 24, 2016

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

My problem is anything other than an ISD seems to explode in the face of massed firepower the way things are right now. There is the opposite means of fixing that, in terms of going for target rich/multi activation with multiple Raiders. I'm not sure a VGGG list would work, just because the VSD is the weak link on that list. You'd have to kit it out for just squadron commands if you did use. Demolisher is still very, very good, it's just now insanely fragile, and it has its match in Foresight MC30.

I mean you absolutely don't need the large ships to be competitive, granted the person I play most often is rebels, but he uses a AF2/Nebulon/Mc30 list that is very scary. However, and this is just my bad opinion, the balance of power shifted in Wave 2 from Imperials to Rebels and what are seen as the Imperial equalizers are the ISD and the Scum squadrons.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 24, 2016

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Just won a seasonal tournament with VVGR and 72 pt fighter cover.

Dominator and Tractors on a VSD2, Tractor on a VSD1, Tarkin on the raider, and Insideus and Ordinance Experts on the Glad. Wont say it was a great list, but it punches hard.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Val Helmethead posted:

Just won a seasonal tournament with VVGR and 72 pt fighter cover.

Dominator and Tractors on a VSD2, Tractor on a VSD1, Tarkin on the raider, and Insideus and Ordinance Experts on the Glad. Wont say it was a great list, but it punches hard.

Nice! What did your fighter screen consist of? I'd certainly appreciate any tips on how you used your VSDs too!

susan
Jan 14, 2013
How viable would a slow-roll Wedge tank list be in the current meta? I'm looking at running the following at a couple local Store Championships:

Commander: Admiral Motti
Flagship: (120 pts) Imperial II-Class Star Destroyer
Fleet Ship 1: (85 pts) Victory II-Class Star Destroyer
Fleet Ship 2: (85 pts) Victory II-Class Star Destroyer
Fleet Ship 3: (85 pts) Victory II-Class Star Destroyer

*shrug* Not exactly inspiring, but lots of long range shooting, and 34 Hull points to chew through, much less shields with all the Engineering actions in the world. Set a low speed and go for objective points, what would realistically crack this?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

susan posted:

How viable would a slow-roll Wedge tank list be in the current meta? I'm looking at running the following at a couple local Store Championships:

Commander: Admiral Motti
Flagship: (120 pts) Imperial II-Class Star Destroyer
Fleet Ship 1: (85 pts) Victory II-Class Star Destroyer
Fleet Ship 2: (85 pts) Victory II-Class Star Destroyer
Fleet Ship 3: (85 pts) Victory II-Class Star Destroyer

*shrug* Not exactly inspiring, but lots of long range shooting, and 34 Hull points to chew through, much less shields with all the Engineering actions in the world. Set a low speed and go for objective points, what would realistically crack this?

A conga line running at an angle to either of your flanks, or any list with decent squadron support would crush this. The VSDs don't have the anti-squadron armament to deal with anything at all, and lack the mobility to respond to anyone moving at a decent speed. I cannot stress enough that you absolutely HAVE TO have a response to squadrons ripping all the shields off of your ships one by one so that their capital ships can just dump damage dice directly onto your hull, or you can expect to get whipped pretty soundly every game. I've always been a big proponent of the heavy bombers, and facing a list like this at a tournament with my typical rebel fleet build would make me very, very happy.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

No squadron lists are gonna struggle in the current meta. Low squadron lists can't deal with high squadron lists anymore either.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Interesting... So slow tank does't really cut it anymore? And bombers are actually scary now? Hmm. drat. What's a good multi-wedge list look like, then? With a good ISD as a flagship and a VSD/Gladiator or two. I don't own any Raiders, but could get some.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

No squadron lists are gonna struggle in the current meta. Low squadron lists can't deal with high squadron lists anymore either.

Yeah instead of like 2 A-wings to annoy the rhymer ball i'm going to be taking 8.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Panzeh posted:

Yeah instead of like 2 A-wings to annoy the rhymer ball i'm going to be taking 8.
The usual lists I see are either full of A-Wings or TIE Fighter/Interceptor swarms with Howlrunner. Mate of mine won his store champ with a ball of TIE Fighters and howlrunner.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
Has anyone here tried the tractor beams? I thinking of doing a VVVRR or VVVR list with Vic1s, Motti and tractor beams(and maybe heavy turbolasers), but I don't know how viable it would be, has anyone got experience with a list of that kind?

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Eimi posted:

Nice! What did your fighter screen consist of? I'd certainly appreciate any tips on how you used your VSDs too!

Victory II
- Dominator
- Tractor Beam

Victory I
- Tractor Beam

Gladiator I
- Insideous
- Ordinance Expert

Raider I
- Grand Moff Tarkin

TIE Fighter x2
TIE Interceptor x2
Howlrunner
Soontir Fel

Total points: 399

This was a good combination. I figured I'd be getting 2nd player a lot with 399 points worth of bid, so I stacked the deck with Opening Salvo (For hunting big game), Contested Outpost (Thank you for 60 points), and Intel Sweep (Thank you for the 75 points [and/or easy kill]).

First game was kind of a 'meh' fight against a kitted out ISDII with Motti, kitted out Warlord VSDII and a VSDI and no fighters. Still managed to fight it to a stalemate with the other player's opening salvo, 8 pt MOV for them (5-5) after my VSD, GSD, and Raider went to flank their VSDII and knocked it out of the fight - only to find the ISD had turned away from my decoy VSDI and was bearing down on the group. Ended up with the enemy Warlord dead, my Raider and GSD dead, and damage cards on everything else for 50% point value of the ship.

Second game went more my way - again I was second player (but not by choice) and picked Minefields, confident that my VSDs could crash through and not take any significant damage. I was up against an ISDI w/ Screed (and lots of upgrades), a VSDI with ACMs, and a Demolisher, as well as all 3 non-Dengar named Villain fighters. Game ended with me anihilating his Demolisher with Dominator, then trading it for his ISD while our VSDIs fought one another in a standstill. 8-2 win with 199 MOV.

Final fight can be seen here. No audio at the start though. I was up with 13 points against the tournament leader with 15 points. This was against a B-Wing swarm Garm lead MC80 / AFII. We went Gunnery Teams of all things as I was interested in seeing how it would work with Dominator. Answer - pretty well. Squadrons held up well, but more importantly for this thread, both VSDs were able to do considerable damage to the AFII and then to the MC80 that was trying its best to hide in the back. Not sure it was the best fight to observe for maneuvering - it was basically a carrier list that was trying to fight with guns. Wound up winning that one and taking the tournament.

Final thoughts for the Tournament:

I really, really missed SW7s on Dominator. I want to get those back on somehow. Either way though, it makes for a 106 point death machine - I am pretty sure everything that I have pointed one at has died in one way or another. Tractor Beams were not used very often in the tournament, but when they were they were well worth their points. 12 points I did not mind investing in. VSDI continued to feel a bit naked when it did get into the thick of battle, but it was usually a flaming wreck (while coaxing important shots away from Dominator), so I don't feel too bad there.

Non-VSD thoughts were that squadrons were very good for what they are there to do (thanks Doobleg for the composition that I shamelessly stole from your World Cup list). Tarkin is hilariously fun as a weird turbo Garm - the right free tokens at the right time saved my bacon in a few places. I didn't use Insideous once - wasted points there.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Panzeh posted:

I can't help but think that the key to stopping a Rhymerball as Rebels without going all in on fighters isn't damage but survivability. I think something like Dutch Vander and a bunch of YT-1300s is going to be a far better screen than some A-Wings

Imps can defend against Rhymerball super cheaply by using Howlrunner and a bunch of TIEs, it's the Rebels who have the toughest go against it I think

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 25, 2016

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Zerf posted:

Has anyone here tried the tractor beams? I thinking of doing a VVVRR or VVVR list with Vic1s, Motti and tractor beams(and maybe heavy turbolasers), but I don't know how viable it would be, has anyone got experience with a list of that kind?

I thought tractor beams would be pretty cool, but they never really did much for me so far. Hell, sometimes your opponent may WANT to slow down to keep your rear end at range three or something. Six points to maybe inconvenience an enemy ship seems like a lot to justify.

susan posted:

Interesting... So slow tank does't really cut it anymore? And bombers are actually scary now? Hmm. drat. What's a good multi-wedge list look like, then? With a good ISD as a flagship and a VSD/Gladiator or two. I don't own any Raiders, but could get some.

Yeah, slow Vic lists are dead. Even at 300 points, I think they were pretty useless. All your opponent has to do is force you to engage on his terms and that's that, since you can't catch anything. At the Sullust tournament I faced a triple Vic Motti list. All I did was maneuver into the perfect position for turn 4 and hit the closest ship to me with broadsides and my bombers until it died And bam, 8-2 MOV. Again, I've never liked Vics at all, and they're why I played rebels so much for so long. I ran something like this the other day:

+++ Armada Imperial Build (391pts) +++

++ Imperial Navy (Standard) (391pts) ++

+ Gladiator Star Destroyer (76pts) +

Gladiator II-Class Star Destroyer (76pts) [Assault Concussion Missiles (7pts), Ordnance Experts (4pts), •Insidious (3pts)]

+ Imperial Star Destroyer (164pts) +

Imperial II-Class Star Destroyer (164pts) [Gunnery Team (7pts), Leading Shots (4pts), •Admiral Screed (26pts), •Avenger (5pts), •Captain Needa (2pts)]

+ Raider Corvette (55pts) +

Raider II-Class Corvette (55pts) [•Director Isard (3pts), •Instigator (4pts)]

+ Squadrons (96pts) +

TIE Interceptor Squadron (11pts)

TIE Interceptor Squadron (11pts)

•"Mauler" Mithel (15pts)

•Dengar (20pts)

•IG-88 (21pts)

•Soontir Fel (18pts)

+ Objectives +

Assault Objective [Advanced Gunnery]

Defense Objective [Hyperspace Assault]

Navigation Objective [Intel Sweep]

A decent initiative bid gives you the chance to go first against a two ship build (never run a two ship build that isn't double large ships IMO) or force the opponent to pick one of your objectives. Gunnery makes your ISD SPIT HOT FIRE, Hyperspace Assault is for your Gladiator to sneak in and start murdering everything, Intel Sweep is for your raider to secure you a 75 point lead. Everything in this list can hold it's own against some squadrons, the raider can even stall them while your swarm swoops in and annihilates everything. IG-88 is your assassin, Dengar boosts your counters and has intel to boot, Mithel pisses everyone off all the time. I didn't throw in any escorts, and really haven't had much trouble even dealing with Vader, Fett, interceptor lists with these guys. The anti-squadron dice and counters do well on their own, I don't care if Soontir or Dengar get focused down first or second, everything will be dead as hell by the time that happens. Look forward to tweaking this list further.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

The one thing I have learned is that any big ship absolutely requires electronic countermeasures. Nothing extends their life more than being able to use the accuracy targeted brace token when your opponent rolls 6+ damage.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Waffles Inc. posted:

I can't help but think that the key to stopping a Rhymerball as Rebels without going all in on fighters isn't damage but survivability. I think something like Dutch Vander and a bunch of YT-1300s is going to be a far better screen than some A-Wings

Imps can defend against Rhymerball super cheaply by using Howlrunner and a bunch of TIEs, it's the Rebels who have the toughest go against it I think

Well, if the rhymer ball is wasting shots on your screen that's pretty much what you want. You don't want them throwing a bunch of black dice at your ships. The A-wings punish that behavior plenty anyway with counter. Also 8 A-wings is actually somewhat dangerous to enemy ships as well, despite not having bomber.

If you want a survivable alternative it's probably the YT-2400 but you are giving up numbers for it. The YT-1300 is way too slow and inefficient for it.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jan 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Panzeh posted:

Well, if the rhymer ball is wasting shots on your screen that's pretty much what you want. You don't want them throwing a bunch of black dice at your ships. The A-wings punish that behavior plenty anyway with counter. Also 8 A-wings is actually somewhat dangerous to enemy ships as well, despite not having bomber.

If you want a survivable alternative it's probably the YT-2400 but you are giving up numbers for it. The YT-1300 is way too slow and inefficient for it.

Are most Rhymers being run with Dengar as well, for Intel? I haven't encountered one yet since I don't think anyone at my LGS has plunked down enough cash on the Scum Fighter packs needed to get 5 Firesprays haha