Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

Thank you to the people that did reply. I just have one more question.

Is the connection for online play really that bad without an adapter? I keep my Wii U in my bedroom; it is a distance from the router, so I may be stuck with just the option of a wireless connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I have never had any problems with wireless connections across Splatoon, Smash, and Xenoblade X. I just have a birthday configuration with a WPA2 password, I haven't messed with ports or any of that bullshit. My router is through two walls, one of which is brick.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

wait a minute. the koopalings are in paper jam

this changes everything!!!!!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

wait a minute. the koopalings are in paper jam

this changes everything!!!!!

They were in Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga too.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I must've forgotten that, I only remember that at one point Bowser had amnesia or something

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

I must've forgotten that, I only remember that at one point Bowser had amnesia or something

Unlike Superstar Saga, they actually talk here. Haven't gotten like super far, but the first battle with them was amusing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

JetpackHowwy posted:

Is the connection for online play really that bad without an adapter? I keep my Wii U in my bedroom; it is a distance from the router, so I may be stuck with just the option of a wireless connection.

It's not absolutely terrible; but it won't be the best. Like wit any online multiplayer, you're only gonna have as good of an experience as the worst connection in your group. If you've got a good router and stable connection, you probably won't be that weakest link, but if you really want to play Smash or Splatoon and never have to worry about dropped connection or lag...just buy the adapter.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JetpackHowwy posted:

Get a LAN adapter and a basic wireless router. Bridge the network through the router, hook your WiiU through the LAN adapter to the second router.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The ereader levels in Mario Advance 4 are so loving good. It's crazy these are the best 2d Mario levels since, well, super Mario World.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

greatn posted:

The ereader levels in Mario Advance 4 are so loving good. It's crazy these are the best 2d Mario levels since, well, super Mario World.

Yep its the reason I want out my way to buy the e reader cards for Mario Advance 4 a few years back. You would have to be crazy to not buy the VC ver of Mario Advance 4, well... unless you want to hunt down the cards that gave you the Cape Feather or the e-Switchs that gave the ability to throw Vegs and Luigi's Flutter Jump.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

in superstar saga, they were just a series of mini bosses in the final dungeon, just a little reference for the kids at home

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

greatn posted:

The level design in NSMBWii/U is good

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Help Im Alive posted:

:yeah:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Jarogue posted:

Yep its the reason I want out my way to buy the e reader cards for Mario Advance 4 a few years back. You would have to be crazy to not buy the VC ver of Mario Advance 4, well... unless you want to hunt down the cards that gave you the Cape Feather or the e-Switchs that gave the ability to throw Vegs and Luigi's Flutter Jump.

That's really great, but I wish that they also would have integrated the demo cards and power-up cards in some fashion. It probably wasn't technologically feasible and I know that they already had to do some work to fit in all of the e-Reader levels at once when the previous limit was 32, but I would have loved to have Cape Feathers or infinite Hammer Brother suits. Or Kuribo's Shoe... <drool>

Also, I wish that some game would bring back the bunny ears from Six Golden Coins. An underappreciated power-up in an underappreciated game.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Help Im Alive posted:

I agree, but this level pack is even better

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

JetpackHowwy posted:

I've never had any connection issues that were on my end, but my router is less than 5 years old and it's not from my cable company.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Man, I just sequence broke the hell out of Zero Mission and I didn't mean to!

There was one Super Missile I saw way at the beginning of the game. Only thing standing between me and it was the Morph Ball jump, and some Shinesparking. So hey, Shinesparking is fun, right? So of course I did it! ... Which led to me beating Ridley right after getting the Varia Suit and Wave Beam. Like, as soon as I could get to his lair I found him and beat him. And now I just got the Screw Attack and I'm pretty sure I broke this game bad. :ohdear:

I DIDN'T MEAN TO! :cry: I just wanted to get a shiny thing!

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Silver Falcon posted:

There was one Super Missile I saw way at the beginning of the game. Only thing standing between me and it was the Morph Ball jump, and some Shinesparking. So hey, Shinesparking is fun, right? So of course I did it! ... Which led to me beating Ridley right after getting the Varia Suit and Wave Beam. Like, as soon as I could get to his lair I found him and beat him. And now I just got the Screw Attack and I'm pretty sure I broke this game bad. :ohdear:

Sequence breaking is a time honored Metroid tradition. You did well, son.

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

Most of the sequence breaks in ZM were intentionally put there by the devs. This is just the game working as designed.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I will say that Splatoon is the only game I've ever had connection problems with. Apparently it requires a higher upload speed than most other online games (probably because it's keeping track of all the ink?) and the game unceremoniously boots me a lot. I am on Uverse and the upload IS pretty crummy.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I love the hell out of ZM, even if some people say that "intentional" sequence breaking takes away from it (what??). Perfect Stealthing the sneaking part is one of the best things i've done in a game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Silver Falcon posted:

Zero Mission is great because they looked at all the crazy sequence breaking from Super Metroid and went "Man, that's actually pretty cool poo poo" and then intentionally threw in a bunch of shortcuts and techniques that completely wreck the intended order of the game. They also put in a couple of redundant progress barriers just so people wouldn't be tempted to do tedious and retarded stuff like skipping the ability to grab ledges.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of January 28):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Lego Marvel Avengers - €49.99 / £39.99 (January 29)
WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Shadow Puppeteer - €14.99 / £13.49
    Level 22 - €6.99 / £6.29
    Word Puzzles by POWG! - €8.99 / £7.99
    PictoParty - €7.99 / £7.00
    Sense by play.me (free to download, requires subscription)
    Cube Island: Survival Life (demo)
WII U ADD-ON CONTENT
    Lego Marvel Avengers Season Pass - €9.99 / £8.99 (January 29)
    Skylanders Superchargers Add-On Content (January 27)
  • Boost Kit - €1.99 / £1.59
  • Super Kit - €4.99 / £3.99
  • Mega Kit - €9.99 / £7.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA) - €6.99 / £6.29
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Cubemen 2 (Wii U eShop) - €3.99 / £? until January 28
    Runbow (Wii U eShop) - €10.49 / £? until January 30
    Affordable Space Adventures (Wii U eShop) - €13.20/ £11.80 from January 28-February 4
    Unepic (Wii U eShop) - €4.99 / £? until February 11
    Adventure Time: Finn & Jake Investigations (Wii U) - €19.99 / £15.99 from January 28-February 27

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Final Fantasy Explorers - €39.99 / £29.99
    Lego Marvel Avengers - €4.9.99 / £39.99 (January 29)
3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Family Fishing - €36.50 / £26.98
    Runny Egg - €1.99 / £1.79
    Word Puzzles by POWG! - €8.99 / £7.99
    Epic Word Search Collection - €7.99 / £?
3DS MENU THEMES (January 22)
    Etrian Odyssey Untold 2: Cafe Theme - €0.99 / £0.89
    Legend of Legacy: The Seven Adventurers - €0.99 / £0.89
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Art of Balance TOUCH! (3DS eShop) - €5.20 / £4.70 from January 28-February 11
    Adventure Time: Finn & Jake Investigations (3DS eShop) - €19.99 / £15.99 from January 28-February 27

Final Fantasy Tactics is not just the first FF game on Wii U VC, it's the first Square-Enix VC release since the Wii days. Will it be the last?

Word Puzzles by POWG! (not PAWG) is the first indie game with amiibo support, but it's in the least interesting way possible - it reads the name of the profile saved to your amiibo and uses it to generate a random puzzle or something.

Affordable Space Adventures Is A Good Game.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

FFTA?! Ffffffff. Odds of that coming to NA before next year? I love me some FFTA.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Silver Falcon posted:

FFTA?! Ffffffff. Odds of that coming to NA before next year? I love me some FFTA.
95%, but being a Tactics game you'll feel the sting of that 5% miss when you need it most.

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics is not just the first FF game on Wii U VC, it's the first Square-Enix VC release since the Wii days. Will it be the last?

Word Puzzles by POWG! (not PAWG) is the first indie game with amiibo support, but it's in the least interesting way possible - it reads the name of the profile saved to your amiibo and uses it to generate a random puzzle or something.

Affordable Space Adventures Is A Good Game.

Wasn't Super Mario RPG a Square-Enix game?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I hope they put all of the GBA FF ports on the shop eventually since they're largely still the best way to play those games.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

In Training posted:

I hope they put all of the GBA FF ports on the shop eventually since they're largely still the best way to play those games.

For V and VI, sure. I prefer the DS port of IV and you can't beat the PSP versions of I and II.

However, Squeenix will probably not want to cannibalize their mobile sales of V and VI by putting the GBA versions on the eShop for $8 when they're $16(!) on mobile.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

LoveBoatCaptain posted:

Wasn't Super Mario RPG a Square-Enix game?

Financed and published by Nintendo.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

this gives me a tiny pathetic shred of hope that FFTA not only comes to NA but also predicates the release of the final and best GBA tactics game, Ogre Battle: Knight of Lodis.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I haven't played any of the FFT games, but they seem well-regarded enough that I'll probably check it out if it hits NA. Really hope this is a sign we'll finally get Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger at some point, though.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Healbot posted:

Financed and published by Nintendo.

But more importantly Square owns everything that is not explicitly Mario in it. Which is why they have final say any time Nintendo wants to re-release it (ie Virtual Console).

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

this gives me a tiny pathetic shred of hope that FFTA not only comes to NA but also predicates the release of the final and best GBA tactics game, Ogre Battle: Knight of Lodis.

my man

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
With Cloud and Geno Costumes available I don't see why they wouldn't have Mario RPG on the eShop. Hell, it would be pretty smart to have the whole winter warm up sale end with the surprise release of that game with the Geno forest maze-song playing in the background of the eshop for a week to help promote it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Houle posted:

With Cloud and Geno Costumes available I don't see why they wouldn't have Mario RPG on the eShop. Hell, it would be pretty smart to have the whole winter warm up sale end with the surprise release of that game with the Geno forest maze-song playing in the background of the eshop for a week to help promote it.

It is, in Japan and Europe

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

assume buying and gifting games to people isn't a thing?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Nope!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

assume buying and gifting games to people isn't a thing?

No direct way, but you can always buy an eshop card and give the card code to someone else so they can buy the game you wanted to get them, or you can check amazon and see if there are download codes for sale for whatever game you had in mind and then just give that code to whoever you want to redeem it

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

There any shady websites to get cheap game codes or just eBay and Amazon ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
If you're in North America, Nintendo sells some game codes on their website as well (mostly first-party, of course)