Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

This thread made me rewatch the prequels and I do, indeed, now enjoy them. Thanks thread! I Like Star Wars. I still found the dialogue horrible, some of the all CGI shots are flat and gently caress ugly, and the action sequences all go on too long- but I enjoyed them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Bongo Bill posted:

Yoda picks up an entire army and brings them with him on a rescue mission for three people. The fact that they start the movie saying they can't fight a war and then end the movie fighting a war is significant. What do you think this fact means?

The Jedi live in a spacious palace just down the street from the Senate and towering over the slums of a densely-packed city. The robes they wear, ostensibly symbols of voluntary poverty, are made of noticeably finer materials than the coarse-spun ones that actual farmers wear. They openly plot a coup d'etat to preemptively protect the Jedi Order from the political repercussions if they should move against the Chancellor. The war begins with Jedi-led clones invading the droids' homeworld. The villains' goal is to secede from the Republic, which even you can see has problems.

Clones are people. Droids are people. Darth Sidious is never depicted using mind control powers; only Jedi are ever shown to do this.

Yes: if only the guardians of peace and justice had murdered a child, they might not have suffered karmic punishment for their hypocrisy.

Why are you attributing so much more thought to the consequences of this bowel movement than the guy who wrote it and made it into a movie? Are you aware that your "basically competent stoner-undergrad insight" into the breaches of logic in this movie will not net you any money? If not, I'm sorry. If so, I'm sorry. This Is Tragedy

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tezzor posted:

Why are you attributing so much more thought to the consequences of this bowel movement than the guy who wrote it and made it into a movie? Are you aware that your "basically competent stoner-undergrad insight" into the breaches of logic in this movie will not net you any money? If not, I'm sorry. If so, I'm sorry. This Is Tragedy

Actually, it's philistinism of the highest order to suggest that the producer, director, and writer of a movie put less effort into producing, writing, and directing it than an internet man puts into an internet post. Like, I wrote those words on the shitter. This is not even my job.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Fuligin posted:

This thread made me rewatch the prequels and I do, indeed, now enjoy them.

Maybe then you'll fade away and not have to face the facts

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Fuligin posted:

This thread made me rewatch the prequels and I do, indeed, now enjoy them. Thanks thread! I Like Star Wars. I still found the dialogue horrible, some of the all CGI shots are flat and gently caress ugly, and the action sequences all go on too long- but I enjoyed them.

Congrats on escaping the Star Wars fandom!

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Bongo Bill posted:

Actually, it's philistinism of the highest order to suggest that the producer, director, and writer of a movie put less effort into producing, writing, and directing it than an internet man puts into an internet post. Like, I wrote those words on the shitter. This is not even my job.

It is not philistinism to assert that a manchild on the spectrum failed to create art without the help of others, unless you believe that The Legend of the 10 Elemental Masters by Ulilllia was the singular appreciated masterwork of our times

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The thing that disappoints me more than anything else about the prequels (and the one episode of The Clone Wars I've seen) is that they were overinterested in regularizing Yoda's speech. More poetic and interesting phrasing like "Luminous beings are we!" would get chopped up into "Luminous beings, we are" in Episodes I through III. Everything he says becomes "Rest of sentence, subject verb." I don't know why they bothered, since they gave unusual speech to Jar Jar too.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tezzor posted:

It is not philistinism to assert that a manchild on the spectrum failed to create art without the help of others, unless you believe that The Legend of the 10 Elemental Masters by Ulilllia was the singular appreciated masterwork of our times

I am talking about the "you put more thought into this than George Lucas" meme. I promise you, I did not. Least of all in that post, which contains very basic factual observations.

It takes a lot of thinking to direct a series of films, quite independently of the fact that it is a collaborative process. You seem to be unaware of this.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

homullus posted:

The thing that disappoints me more than anything else about the prequels (and the one episode of The Clone Wars I've seen) is that they were overinterested in regularizing Yoda's speech. More poetic and interesting phrasing like "Luminous beings are we!" would get chopped up into "Luminous beings, we are" in Episodes I through III. Everything he says becomes "Rest of sentence, subject verb." I don't know why they bothered, since they gave unusual speech to Jar Jar too.

Yoda gets better at English Basic English in accordance with his character development.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

The dialog throughout the prequels lacks texture. To the extent that characters (excepting those with contrived affectations like Yoda) have distinctive voices, it clearly originates in the acting rather than the script. Far less characterization than could have been is delivered by this vector; many lines add little more than plot context to the emotional situation that is already plainly evident. Although the phrasing is strong and clear, it's largely graceless statements of fact. Scenes of types that are traditionally carried by dialog lack tension as a result. For example, the scene on Kamino where Obi-Wan confronts Jango badly wants to be filled with verbal sparring, double entendres, a show of wit; but instead some characters who are clearly not fooling each other tell a few perfunctory lies. You might say that the dialog reveals too much about what the characters think and feel.

This is a big deal to people though. If the dialogue is real stiff and unconvincing it completely undercuts the emotional pull the films have. You care less about the characters and you're left with a movie that relies more on action sequences for enjoyment.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

This is a big deal to people though. If the dialogue is real stiff and unconvincing it completely undercuts the emotional pull the films have. You care less about the characters and you're left with a movie that relies more on action sequences for enjoyment.

Yeah, I fully understand why people don't like 'em, and the script is the biggest part of the reason why. They don't give as much to the viewer. It is more difficult to like the prequels, but it is worth it.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 23, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The Clone Wars TV show gets into the whole morality dimension and pretty much every other kind of dimension in a far more satisfying way than the movies so you can effectively skip the first two movies, watch the show, then I suppose watch ROTS though the conclusion is explained in ANH anyway. At least ROTS is a shot of Ian McDiarmid's SUPREME CHANCELLEMPEROR PALPATINE straight up your nose which is a lot better than it sounds.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Bongo Bill posted:

I am talking about the "you put more thought into this than George Lucas" meme. I promise you, I did not. Least of all in that post, which contains very basic factual observations.

It takes a lot of thinking to direct a series of films, quite independently of the fact that it is a collaborative process. You seem to be unaware of this.

I promise you, you did. What "meme" are you referring to? Do you realize there is, in usual connotation, a difference between "a common argument, substantiated by logic and the available evidence" and a "meme," right? Why or why not?

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Tezzor posted:

-Not militant, actively resisting having to fight a war, actively uncomfortable fighting a war, not very good at fighting a war, by their own admission incapable of fighting a war without the army whose creation they were unaware of and not involved in, forced into the war by circumstances beyond their control
-Not obsessed with keeping power, apparently lack much if any benefits of power beyond political clout they do not seem to parley into material benefits, concerned perhaps with maintaining the status quo, against an invading army of robots led by mustache-twirling villains whose motivations are unclear other than that they hate the Republic for no clear reason, and are being manipulated by Dracula
-An inhumane and corrupt government. That is, a government where everything bad that happens to anyone is ultimately the fault of one guy with incredible mind control powers. A government that votes off-screen to continue using what we have no reason to believe are anything other than replaceable, indistinguishable, irrelevant sub-people who conveniently appeared, instead of sacrificing millions of real people's lives or surrendering to evil robots.
-Teach radical detachment from normal emotions: while perhaps ultimately an inadvertently terrible policy, nevertheless one that had previously apparently persisted without much trouble for centuries. Failure to conform to the policy by one rear end in a top hat was the problem, not the policy itself, or perhaps their irrational decision to train the little child version of this rear end in a top hat despite feeling weirded out and predicting grave danger, rather than just sending him back to Tatooine or throwing him down a well.

The Empire Strikes Back posted:

LUKE: But how am I to know the good side from the bad?

YODA: You will know. When you are calm, at peace. Passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

Attack of the Clones posted:

CLONE COMMANDER: Master Yoda, all forward positions are advancing.

YODA: Very good. Very good.

Revenge of the Sith posted:

YODA: Into exile I must go. Failed, I have.

Tezzor posted:

Some pretty nice ableism there, Tezzor. Problematic as all hell, IMO.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 23, 2016

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So loving bad.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Yeah, I fully understand why people don't like 'em, and the script is the biggest part of the reason why. They don't give as much to the viewer. It is more difficult to like the prequels, but it is worth it.

It's just so frustrating to me. I like 'em but if Lucas would've had someone polish up the dialogue and characterization they'd be regarded as much better films. Also, by his own admission, Lucas isn't a the best at getting good performances out of his actors and that shows up in the prequels.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

Carrie Fisher seemed so normal in Star Wars and Blues Brothers. What happened to her after?

Carrie Fisher is a cool woman with a cool dog.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

turtlecrunch posted:

The Clone Wars TV show gets into the whole morality dimension and pretty much every other kind of dimension in a far more satisfying way than the movies so you can effectively skip the first two movies, watch the show, then I suppose watch ROTS though the conclusion is explained in ANH anyway. At least ROTS is a shot of Ian McDiarmid's SUPREME CHANCELLEMPEROR PALPATINE straight up your nose which is a lot better than it sounds.

Jabba The Hutt's Previously Unknown Vaguely Gay Goofy Southern Purple Cousin With a Ridiculous Accent and An Inextinguishable Number of Owed Favors

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Correct, Lucas is a poo poo writer.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
"I am a poo poo writer" - George Lucas

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Tezzor posted:

Jabba The Hutt's Previously Unknown Vaguely Gay Goofy Southern Purple Cousin With a Ridiculous Accent and An Inextinguishable Number of Owed Favors

You can always use a guide to skip the rando content.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Tezzor posted:

"I am a poo poo writer" - George Lucas

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cnut the Great posted:

The prophecy was about destroying the Sith as the cause of the imbalance. By the time of Episode III, the imbalance was already self-sustaining. It didn't need the Sith anymore. The Sith were no longer the cause. Evil was everywhere. The transformation of the Republic into the Empire was greeted with thunderous applause.

A while back, but I was just going off of what Lucas said about it. Unless I was confusing what someone else said about it instead.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
https://web.archive.org/web/20100304190426/http:/secrethistoryofstarwars.com/marcialucas.html

Lucas had re-configured much of The Star Wars for his second draft, completed in January of 1975. He had finally come up with the basic backbone of the film--the heroic journey of farmboy Luke Starkiller--but his characterisation and dialogue were arguably even worse than his first draft. Lucas, however, acknowledged that he was a poor writer, and sought the guidance of others. "I'm not a good writer," he says in 1974. "It's very, very hard for me. I don't feel I have a natural talent for it...When I sit down I bleed on the page, and it's just awful." [xlix] He had attempted to hire writers for every one of his previous films, but experience taught him a different technique--he would listen to the suggestions others had, but write the words himself. Marcia [his wife-Tezzor], along with many of George's friends, critiqued which characters worked, which ones didn't, which scenes were good, and Lucas composed the script in this way. Marcia was always critical of Star Wars, but she was one of the few people Lucas listened to carefully, knowing she had a skill for carving out strong characters. Often, she was a voice of reason, giving him the bad news he secretly suspected--"I'm real hard," she says, "but I only tell him what he already knows." [l] Pollock notes, "Marcia's faith never waivered--she was at once George's most severe critic and most ardent supporter. She wasn't afraid to say she didn't understand something in Star Wars or to point out the sections that bored her." [li] She kept her husband down to earth and reminded him of the need to have an emotional through-line in the film. Mark Hamill remembers: "She was really the warmth and heart of those films, a good person he could talk to, bounce ideas off of." [lii]

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Okay.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
That directly contradicts the idea that Lucas is the type of person who doesn't put any thought or effort into his work.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
http://www.markhamill.com/archive/kpla.htm

quote:

Mark: ‘The thing is, what is amazing about Harrison is like I was over there for a couple-three weeks. And then Harrison comes along and, up until then, I’m the only American there. My first movie, all these things going on. And then, finally, you have somebody that comes in that you can bounce ideas off of. I mean, not me... he had total.... He came in with amazing things in his own mind about the film. And I was just- I was literally doing every comma, every period, every semi-colon. And in comes Harrison, he’s got big speeches crossed out in the script with arrows. With lines written out.’
DJ: ‘All you screen-writers out there, listen to this....’
Mark: ‘That’s the way he did it. It’s not in that novel because they did it earlier- before they knew Harrison was gonna do it. And I think they’re very nervous about the whole thing.’
Laughter.
DJ: ‘You have to have a director who’s got a lot of confidence if he’s willing to cut speeches and cut ‘em down to lines.’
Harrison: ‘It’s not a matter of that. It’s really a matter of making things work. I mean, we’d come into a scene and we’re faced with dialogue straight from Buck Rogers.’
Mark: (chuckling) ‘I loved it.’
Harrison: ‘I mean, I used to threaten George with tying him up and making him repeat his own dialogue ‘
Laughter.
Mark: ‘He kept threatening to do that all through the film. At gun-point.’
Harrison: ‘But then, the task is to make it work somehow. And that’s where the actual fun and energy of the whole thing came from. Was making this stuff work.’
DJ: ‘When you would cut a speech, you would tell Lucas first or would you walk on, do 2 lines....’
Mark: ‘Normally, you’d try... you’d do a completely different dialogue. If George didn’t like it, you know he’d come up and say ‘Don’t do that’. But 90% of the time, Harrison would do the lines, you know. The same thought, the same theme....’
Harrison: ‘The only person it really bothered was the script girl, who had the original script.’
Mark: ‘Her hair’s white now.’
Harrison: ‘But George would often not notice that there was any changes made...’
Mark: ‘No.’

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
No-one ever provides specific examples of bad writing.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Bongo Bill posted:

The dialog throughout the prequels lacks texture. To the extent that characters (excepting those with contrived affectations like Yoda) have distinctive voices, it clearly originates in the acting rather than the script. Far less characterization than could have been is delivered by this vector; many lines add little more than plot context to the emotional situation that is already plainly evident. Although the phrasing is strong and clear, it's largely graceless statements of fact. Scenes of types that are traditionally carried by dialog lack tension as a result. For example, the scene on Kamino where Obi-Wan confronts Jango badly wants to be filled with verbal sparring, double entendres, a show of wit; but instead some characters who are clearly not fooling each other tell a few perfunctory lies. You might say that the dialog reveals too much about what the characters think and feel.

One of the things that bugged me the most about the prequels' writing, even in my recent rewatch where I found way more to enjoy about them than I ever had before, was the jokes. Not that there were jokes and comic relief in the first place, since that's always been part of Star Wars ("Trouble with your droid?") and it seems especially important in the prequels (the various conflicts Palpatine is phantom menacing having farcical elements seems very appropriate), but that most of the jokes just didn't land. TFA had a lot of pretty funny lines delivered with wit and charisma; the prequels had deathsticks and a space horse farting in Jar Jar's face.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

quote:

Harrison: ‘But George would often not notice that there was any changes made...’
Mark: ‘No.’

Yikes

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The deathsticks joke is amazing and I will fight you if you say otherwise

It's also hilariously on-point with the interpretation of the Jedi Order as incompetent and overly attached to the Republic. Rather than doing anything about the environment that led to Sleazebaggano trying to sell 'deathsticks' to Obi-Wan, he just tells him to go home and not do drugs. It's so '90s it hurts. ("Winners don't do drugs!")

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
You can actually witness a bit of the Harrison process at work here, though this was by the time of the third film. It's practically like Ford was directing the scene, down to the specifics of how to make jokes land.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

The Jedi live in a spacious palace just down the street from the Senate and towering over the slums of a densely-packed city. The robes they wear, ostensibly symbols of voluntary poverty, are made of noticeably finer materials than the coarse-spun ones that actual farmers wear. They openly plot a coup d'etat to preemptively protect the Jedi Order from the political repercussions if they should move against the Chancellor. The war begins with Jedi-led clones invading the droids' homeworld. The villains' goal is to secede from the Republic, which even you can see has problems.

The north had problems; the answer to those problems was not to allow slaveowners sovereignty. We were right to go to war in reality, and the movie peoples were right to go to war over the decadent and unproductive tradesmen who's most notable quality is the mass exploitation of a "sub-race" for all labor needs. The fact that their lincoln happened to be Evil Space Lincoln is a strike against Abraham Von Dracula, not the war.

Clones are heroes my friend.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

The north had problems; the answer to those problems was not to allow slaveowners sovereignty. We were right to go to war in reality, and the movie peoples were right to go to war over the decadent and unproductive tradesmen who's most notable quality is the mass exploitation of a "sub-race" for all labor needs. The fact that their lincoln happened to be Evil Space Lincoln is a strike against Abraham Von Dracula, not the war.

Clones are heroes my friend.

I was merely pointing out the factual errors in the quoted post (specifically, that the antagonists had no clear motivation).

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 23, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Empress Theonora posted:

One of the things that bugged me the most about the prequels' writing, even in my recent rewatch where I found way more to enjoy about them than I ever had before, was the jokes. Not that there were jokes and comic relief in the first place, since that's always been part of Star Wars ("Trouble with your droid?") and it seems especially important in the prequels (the various conflicts Palpatine is phantom menacing having farcical elements seems very appropriate), but that most of the jokes just didn't land. TFA had a lot of pretty funny lines delivered with wit and charisma; the prequels had deathsticks and a space horse farting in Jar Jar's face.

That's one of those situations like "I thought Anakin is supposed to be really cool and likeable, so why does he commit genocide?" The answer is that the presumption is wrong.

The death-sticks scene isn't 'supposed to be' funny because it's not a funny scene. It's a rather uncomfortable scene where Obiwan just casually ruins the life of a lowly drug dealer. It's a counterpart of the scene in A New Hope where he just unthinkingly dismembers the alien guy in the cantina. "You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy." Really, Obiwan?

Nearly all the 'lighthearted comedy' in Episode 2 is tinged with this darkness, while actual the comedy is in the 'serious' combat and romance scenes.

I recall, earlier in one of these threads, someone complaining that Yoda's swordfight is so goofy that it's almost like it's supposed to be funny(!). In fact, he was horrified that the audience in his theatre was laughing at what was 'obviously supposed to be' a very serious and dramatic fight scene.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 23, 2016

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Its pretty interesting how their wildly different approaches to their scripts helped sculpt their characters; Harrison's penchant for brevity helped sell Han as rogueish and street-smart, while Hamill's respect for the scriptwriter resulted in Luke's longer and more descriptive dialogue helping to sell him as a hopeful and idealistic farmboy constantly impressed by the world around him. Harrison's naturalist approach made the character feel perfect in the lived-in world of Star Wars, while Hamill's inclusion of lengthy script muck helped fulfill his role as the out-of-his-depth viewer insert.

I wonder if and when Harrison stopped doing this, since there's a very noticable point where he seems to just stop giving a poo poo and playing awkward roles (with TFA being a return-to-norm)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Empress Theonora posted:

To be fair, Obi's "go home and be a family man" bit with the drug pusher was amusing and managed some comedic timing. Which is probably why it was one of the more parodied bits during AOTC's prominence.

Other than that the jokes were...eyerollworthy at best.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Bongo Bill posted:

The Jedi live in a spacious palace just down the street from the Senate and towering over the slums of a densely-packed city. The robes they wear, ostensibly symbols of voluntary poverty, are made of noticeably finer materials than the coarse-spun ones that actual farmers wear.

One of my favorite little visual things in the prequels is how Obi-wan and Yoda wear outfits that are superficially similar to the robes they wear in the OT, but they're finely tailored and layered and made of fancier fabrics. I'd wear a dress made out of whatever Yoda's prequel robes are made of (well, beyond 'computer magic'. But by Episode III the CGI fabric was looking quite nice.)

Some prequel criticisms I've seen (RLM, maybe? I certainly don't feel like sitting through those things again) completely miss that and complain about how just because Obi-wan wore robes similar to everyone else on Tatooine doesn't mean the Jedi in the prequels should all wear the same robes like they're a uniform. They aren't the same robes at all.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Or maybe they are the same robes, and the rough experience of living in solitude and contemplating self-reflection is reflected on the transition from magic silky cgi robes to ragged old robes of the OT

It's still pretty silly that all the jedi wear the same robes and weapons. Life must be hell for the legless alien dudes who have to drag around three feet of heavy robes and balance on one hand while swinging an oversized death stick at peoples' ankles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's a counterpart of the scene in A New Hope where he just unthinkingly dismembers the alien guy in the cantina. "You'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy." Really, Obiwan?

The people in the Catina were haters. Obi-Wan was almost instantly proven right when that pig face and his homie got in Lukes grill and started poo poo. Obi-Wan stepped up and saved his homeboys skin.

• Locked thread