Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

New trailer. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi_9YuMynW0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

There's nothing more 90s sci-fi than those weird injection guns. I hope Mulder solves the mystery of why that loving horn blast is in every goddamn trailer now. I hope he finds the people responsible and burns them alive.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Man, CSM must have some great plastic surgeons working for him.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jack Gladney posted:

There's nothing more 90s sci-fi than those weird injection guns. I hope Mulder solves the mystery of why that loving horn blast is in every goddamn trailer now. I hope he finds the people responsible and burns them alive.

People like it. Simple as that.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

When those flashlights clicked on, I lost my poo poo.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Octy posted:

Man, CSM must have some great plastic surgeons working for him.

Those aliens do great work.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

68k posted:

When those flashlights clicked on, I lost my poo poo.

Same. So badass.

Teso Dos Bitches
Mar 25, 2006

gently caress yes.

I keep trying to audibly convey my excitement, but all that comes out is a series of strangled, high-pitched chirping noises. Please advise.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Teso Dos Bitches posted:

gently caress yes.

I keep trying to audibly convey my excitement, but all that comes out is a series of strangled, high-pitched chirping noises. Please advise.

Does it sound anything like https://youtu.be/NLLBrh_PeT4?t=11s

Teso Dos Bitches
Mar 25, 2006

68k posted:

Does it sound anything like https://youtu.be/NLLBrh_PeT4?t=11s

Yes, exactly bleepin' like that.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Help, I just dropped $300 AUD ($205 USD) on the X-Files bluray boxset.

I'm so loving happy :D

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Hedrigall posted:

Help, I just dropped $300 AUD ($205 USD) on the X-Files bluray boxset.

I'm so loving happy :D

They are amazing looking

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
FWIW, there's a review of S10 up on the AVClub: http://www.avclub.com/review/meet-new-x-files-same-old-x-files-230759

It seems to mostly confirm some of the negative aspects that we've seen in reviews before, but this thankfully seems to be mainly concentrated in the opening episode:

quote:

... the premiere installment of this new go-around is thin gruel. Stilted and cheesy in equal measure, it will trigger memories of the show at its most ham-fisted. Series creator Chris Carter wrote and directed the leadoff, and it indulges in all of his worst tendencies. Portentous speechifying, delivered in a rush of expository monotony, is strewn throughout, as even Duchovny, the most experienced pro at selling such snake oil, is reduced to grimacing his way through monologues bereft of conviction or coherence.
..but then the MOTW and especially Darin Morgan happen and it's apparently awesome :woop:. Can't loving wait!

E. spelling/grammar

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 18, 2016

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
From what I've heard the season ends on a cliffhanger, so yeah basically Chris Carter will never learn his lesson.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Man, is this thread really on the third page? Thought there'd be more excitement over this...

I for one can't wait. I was pretty young when the show aired the first time around, but have a lot of fond memories of watching it with my dad as a kid, and then re-watching on my own when I was a bit older. Great show, and David and Gillian are obviously amazing. Was 'I Want to Believe" the last time they were involved in the series? Seems like forever ago, so hopefully Carter's had time to give us something good. Also really like the fact that they went with a six-episode mini-series rather than a full-blown season or another movie.

Overall, my hopes are high. Haven't been this excited over network TV in quite a long time.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
FYI Best Buy has the first season blu set for $15 and seasons 2-9 for $18 each. It's probably the cheapest they'll be for a while.

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010
Sorry if this has already been answered before, but will the X-files be coming back for a second season depending on how well this 6 part episode does? Or is it just a one time thing with potential of a movie in the future?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

FYI Best Buy has the first season blu set for $15 and seasons 2-9 for $18 each. It's probably the cheapest they'll be for a while.

Target has seasons 1-6 in stores right now for $14.99. It's funny, they don't have season 7+ at all.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Can of Cloud posted:

Sorry if this has already been answered before, but will the X-files be coming back for a second season depending on how well this 6 part episode does? Or is it just a one time thing with potential of a movie in the future?

Wikipedia posted:

In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Duchovny stated that if the miniseries is a success, he would be interested in another renewal, stating, "I would be open to doing another cycle. I don't know that I could do a 20-episode version of this show at this point in my life, and I don't know that Gillian could. But I think everybody is open ended on what happens after this. Certainly, we didn't bring it back with the idea of ending it."[72] At the 2016 Television Critics Association panel for the miniseries, Carter stated, "If we do well in the ratings, I can't imagine we wouldn't be asked to do more."[73]

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I just read in an interview with Anderson that this revival nearly did not happen, because they initially offered her half of Duchovny's pay.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jack's Flow posted:

I just read in an interview with Anderson that this revival nearly did not happen, because they initially offered her half of Duchovny's pay.

Fox never learns.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Of course a bunch of suits and their bean counters almost sink this glorious return because they wanted to short a woman on her pay.

You guys hype? I'm sensibly hyped. :)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

MariusLecter posted:

You guys hype? I'm sensibly hyped. :)

The other evening I was at the bar with a few friends from work, none of whom knew the others liked X-Files, and we got into a huge discussion on the mytharc, on favorite episodes, on guest stars, etc. And today a huge discussion sprung up on one of my friend's Facebook feeds on best episodes to watch this weekend. It's so crazy that X-Files is stirring up this kind of interest again and to be having these kinds of water cooler talks like back in the day.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Speaking of, here is a Vulture article ranking every episode. Seems pretty in-tune with a lot of the sentiments shared in this thread.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Sheriff posted:

Speaking of, here is a Vulture article ranking every episode. Seems pretty in-tune with a lot of the sentiments shared in this thread.

quote:

55. “The Blessing Way” / “Paper Clip” (Season 3, Episodes 1–2)

This is an outrage.

lamb
Mar 9, 2004

A single act of carelessness leads to the eternal loss of beauty

68k posted:

This is an outrage.

Agreed. Paperclip is an awesome episode.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

lamb posted:

Agreed. Paperclip is an awesome episode.

Definitely my favorite of the Mytharc episodes.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Sheriff posted:

I'll never understand the obsession with home. It's a pretty ridiculous episode I'll give it that but nothing about it is particularly brilliant. There are better XF episodes than it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

As good as the X-Files blu-rays look, holy poo poo the DTS-HD MA audio soundtrack is a work of art.

The track is very clear, dialog has a lightly limited range due to the source but is still well anchored and intelligible, the the surrounds are pretty drat active and the soundstage is very immersive and expansive.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Ginette Reno posted:

I'll never understand the obsession with home. It's a pretty ridiculous episode I'll give it that but nothing about it is particularly brilliant. There are better XF episodes than it.

Yeah, its not really one of my favorites but its just something you kinda recommend anyway when giving people a shortlist cause of the history of that episode.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

It has more to do with the hype than the quality of the episode. It was banned from re-airing on fox so it got talked about a lot.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

TOMORROW NIGHT

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

68k posted:

TOMORROW NIGHT

Happy X-Files Eve! I will leave a plate of cookies out for the ghosts of the Lone Gunmen.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I just watched Ghost in The Machine and Space because I hate myself.

TECHNOWIZARDS AND ELECTROANARCHISTS

Teso Dos Bitches
Mar 25, 2006

...aaaaaaaAAAHHHHH

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZutDTbGbazs
Also, Never Again is a good episode I skipped. Scully is the best.

Teso Dos Bitches
Mar 25, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Also, Never Again is a good episode I skipped. Scully is the best.

Yes. Correct.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I'm gonna watch the First Person Shooter episode before the premiere tomorrow :dance:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maybe it's because of my affinity for the X-Files movie ( I watched that all the time, more so than the series), but I really love the series 6 premier episode with the Alien running around the power station. Mostly because, being unaware of The X-Files story arc, I assumed the movie was a stand alone thing. And I took it as such. So I was pretty surprised when the black oil stuff started popping up, and then the Alien from the movie popped out of a guy's body. That was great.

Weird huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Maybe it's because of my affinity for the X-Files movie ( I watched that all the time, more so than the series), but I really love the series 6 premier episode with the Alien running around the power station. Mostly because, being unaware of The X-Files story arc, I assumed the movie was a stand alone thing. And I took it as such. So I was pretty surprised when the black oil stuff started popping up, and then the Alien from the movie popped out of a guy's body. That was great.

Weird huh?

But I guess Armin Mueller Stahl was a little outside of a tv show budget. That episode always seemed stupid to me because the cover story for the killer alien was that an insane Navajo was cutting people up with a tomahawk and the smoking man explained it by saying, "never underestimate the willingness of people to blame the red man." At the time I yelled at the tv about how that doesn't make any sense, and it still doesn't make any sense.

• Locked thread