Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think Hedron Alignment is pretty decent for an alt-win card because it's actually got a reasonable amount of upside on its own (compare to eg Battle of Wits or Near Death Experience that do nothing) and it's hard to kill. I can imagine it seeing a little play if there's a good draw-go deck.

In draft it's very marginal at best but it at least does something and isn't eating up crucial common/uncommon slots.

e: an example of failing to find would be bloodstained mire, you can choose to not find any mountains or swamps in your deck. The most infamous example would be Gifts Ungiven, where you can fail to find any cards not named Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite and Unburial Rites

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

I have a super dumb question that I had come up while the judge wasn't there at the last FNM. Can someone "fail to find" for a rally as a result of a Hallowed Moonlight in response to the rally?

No, but you can fail to find off Collected Company.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

UberJew posted:

worth emphasizing that it has to be a search specifically, not a choice or just automatic effect that just involves specific attributes

if loxodon smiter is the only legal target for your inquisition of kozilek you don't get to not screw yourself

I don't think it's because of the word 'search'. With something like IoK you're making the opponent's hand a revealed zone to both players.

mcmagic posted:

Yeah, there's nothing special about the word 'search', it's just that any time you're looking for something that has to fit certain criteria, and you're looking in a zone that the other player can't see, you can choose to fail to find. Any time both players can see that there's a choice to be made, and it's not a "may", the choice has to be made. If the person not doing the choosing can't see the cards being chosen from, the player doing the choosing can choose to fail to find.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Collected Company says 'up to', it's an entirely optional effect.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Collected Company says 'up to', it's an entirely optional effect.

They started including the word "up to" because people got confused with intuition. It works the same way.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

I don't think they want "You Win the game" as card text below rare because they want those cards to feel special and cool.

That didn't stop them from making Delver. :haw:

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Count Bleck posted:

That didn't stop them from making Delver. :haw:

Hey delver is okay in modern! I know this because I converted my grixis twin deck into grixis delver and it is Much Worse. Not bitter.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Pontius Pilate posted:

Hey delver is okay in modern! I know this because I converted my grixis twin deck into grixis delver and it is Much Worse. Not bitter.

Yeah, Grixis delver is pretty lovely. Try straight UR, it lets you run bloodmoon maindeck, you don't get daze in this format, but 3 mana armageddon is great support for a 3/2 flier. Especially with Pyromancer and Snapcaster support.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

mcmagic posted:

Thanks everyone, that is what I thought. The guy was just so insistent on the Rally it wasn't worth arguing for 5 minutes over for a couple packs.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

They started including the word "up to" because people got confused with intuition. It works the same way.

For me it was Gifts Ungiven.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Gifts Ungiven is probably the one where it seems most like a bullshit explanation.

The shift towards "up to" actually doesn't apply to Intuition, and for good reason :v:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Huh, Expedite used to be the card everyone wishes it was.

"This card was trying to do noble work by letting you play it, cast a creature with surge, then attack with it, but ultimately it was wasn't worth all of the extra words versus just being the simple version it is today."

I feel like this statement encapsulates a lot of my problems with Wizards right now

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Pontius Pilate posted:

Let them print another efficient blue draw spell or some good filtering and you can watch it take up 50% of the format.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

I feel like this statement encapsulates a lot of my problems with Wizards right now

It's because sometimes people dont play cards when they can't read them or something, I hear.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

PVDDR wrote an article and it's pretty mediocre.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Mikujin posted:

At its core it's just another pro saying he doesn't like a modern pro tour.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I beg to see pvddr lose to Lantern on camera next pro tour.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Mikujin posted:

He's also right about twin

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Huh, Expedite used to be the card everyone wishes it was.

"This card was trying to do noble work by letting you play it, cast a creature with surge, then attack with it, but ultimately it was wasn't worth all of the extra words versus just being the simple version it is today."

"Draw a card.
The next time a creature enters the battlefield under your control this turn, that creature gains haste."

Not sure why that would be difficult to word. It's barely any more text on a card that is already text light... I think it's because it's a red common, and Red cannot have too many good ones of those? Zada's Commando seems to be the designated good red common.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Gensuki posted:

"Draw a card.
The next time a creature enters the battlefield under your control this turn, that creature gains haste."

Not sure why that would be difficult to word. It's barely any more text on a card that is already text light... I think it's because it's a red common, and Red cannot have too many good ones of those? Zada's Commando seems to be the designated good red common.

Boulder Salvo's a much higher pick, imo.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Gensuki posted:

"Draw a card.

I'm pretty sure when they share their design notes like this it isn't because they have some secret conspiracy to make bad red cards, but rather they either didn't come up with that wording or ran into issues with it in a design/development discussion that didn't result in notes in the card file.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It seemed pretty clear to me that they changed it off that wording because of how confusing it is with multiple creatures entering the battlefield simultaneously.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
It is singular, so one of the creatures gains haste, presumably of the caster's choice as it is just a delayed trigger.

Likewise, if you cast two of these, the played one creature, that one creature would get haste twice, this would not lead to sequential creatures gaining haste (exp, exp creature A, Creature B= creature A has haste and Creature B does not)

Also, in this standard environment, I do not think there are many/ cards that would make this much of a problem... anything that makes multiple tokens makes identical tokens, and any sort of modern interaction that may pop up would likely have judges present.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Look all I know is that expedite is a Good Red Card because it specifically says "draw a Card" without the standard lovely red stipulations.

Also, I wouldn't be upset flipping it off Abbot on turn 3.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Sickening posted:

At its core it's just another pro saying he doesn't like a modern pro tour.

I kinda agree with his argument. The pros should have to be constantly adapting to format changes. He's mostly right that the idea of Modern is that you can play the same deck or two all the time, and I can definitely see why he would think that's lame for pros like him.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
So I need to sleeve a couple player decks for LOTR. What are the favored sleeves? I bought some dragon shields already

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

canyoneer posted:

So I need to sleeve a couple player decks for LOTR. What are the favored sleeves? I bought some dragon shields already

KMC hyper-mats are the go-to.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

canyoneer posted:

KMC Hyper Mattes (non premium). Black if you want to be like everyone else

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Dragon shield mattes are better than KMCs

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I saw this interaction tonight: Binder Grinder goes over to one of the Commander players and tells him, "You're still looking for a promo Thought-Knot Seer, right? I found one for you!". Commander player is super happy with this, and asks Binder Grinder how much it is. Binder Grinder says they're $30. I go across the store to see what matches are still playing, just so happening to see one guy (Rob) with his trade binder open and a Thought-Knot Seer promo sitting on top of it. The Binder Grinder rushes over to Rob and says, "Yeah, I'm interested in the Thought-Knot Seer." to which Rob replies, "Okay, you said it's $26, right?". Binder Grinder nods, tosses him a regular Thought-Knot Seer and an Oath Chandra (there were maybe some other cards involved) and runs across the store, promo in hand, super excited to make $4.

Earlier in the night, another Binder Grinder went up to a friend and asked if he had a set of some card. His friend said he'd trade them to him at a little under what they were worth, and the Grinder scoffed and said he wouldn't trade for them that high. So his friend called him out on never wanting to trade fairly, and he just said "I don't ever need to!". So the friend told him to never ask him for cards again.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

mcmagic posted:

Dragon shield mattes are better than KMCs

M.C.Magic is usually horrifically incorrect about everything, but here's one of the rare instances that they're correct. Dragon Shield Mattes are better than KMCs if you aren't double sleeving your cards in KMC Perfect Fits first, which is a super nerdy thing to do.

Dragon Shield sleeves are very high quality and last forever, KMCs are almost as durable but the corners get bent a little too easily if you don't double sleeve.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

wotc should hire me to design my Relentless Rats set

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
LSV is higher on Nissa than I thought he would be.

I mean, she does cost 3.

As for sleeve chat: I've converted from KMCs to Dragon Shield mattes for every purpose - single and double sleeving. They're just better.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 23, 2016

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
My Dragon Shield Mattes stick together a lot, but my KMC Hyper Mattes do not. My preference is KMC but I can see how people like Dragon Shields.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Played a 2HG Sealed tournament tonight and went 4-0 with sweet, sweet, decks. I played R/G Eldrazi ramp with Tyrant of Valakut, Mina and Denn, Kozilek's Return, Sanctum of Ugin, 2 Bane of Bala Ged, and Breaker of Armies. My teammate's deck was UBw control with a bunch of counters, bounce spells, card draw, and some fliers.

Kozilek's Return was loving ridiculous, it handily won both games in which I drew it. In round 3 our opponents didn't know we had one so they overextended and played out like all their creatures. I cast Return at the end of turn with like 7 lands in play, then next turn played Breaker of Armies and got like an 8-for-1. Then the next turn I unnecessarily played Sanctum of Ugin and Bane of Bala ged, sacking Sanctum to get another Bane of Bala Ged. My teammate played great support, with good defensive creatures/spells, helping me draw more cards with the targeted card draw, and countering removal spells aimed at my huge dudes.

I can't wait to draft the real OOB format, it looks like a lot of fun, with a few less mythics ruining everything.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

wotc should hire me to design my Relentless Rats set
100 different arts of Relentless Rats and a single full art mountain

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, she does cost 3.

As for sleeve chat: I've converted from KMCs to Dragon Shield mattes for every purpose - single and double sleeving. They're just better.

he's right about it being good in standard constructed, though 3 creatures with +1/+1 isn't as good as it sounds. But, uh, nissa is probably not showing up in older formats.

The main tokens deck in modern is BW and will not play a 1GG thing, Nissa almost certainly won't even touch legacy, and there isn't a chance in hell that it's played in Vihtage

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, she does cost 3.

After Khans rotate, Den Protector, Deathmist Raptor, Hangerback Walker will all be tourney legal. And Oath of Nissa will be a card as well. Crux of Fate will be gone, leaving Languish as the primary black sweeper.

A green/white tokens strategy with Giddeon and Nissa and Den protector and Deathmist raptor to grind it out might be a thing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, she does cost 3.

Nissa's a good card dude this isn't hard

For fucks sakes she kills by herself in like 6 turns unanswered, this is feigning ignorance of every other positive factor the card has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

One of the biggest problems with Nissa, and other cards like Ancestral Recall, is that you can only have 1-4 of them in your deck, legally.

• Locked thread