Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm glad that thanks to the blu-rays we now have a high quality shot of the cat coffee mug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

.jpg posted:

After watching 23 I've changed my mind about Rei's awareness since Rei III outright states she's probably the third

it's a good point though, cause from a certain perspective, Rei can't have known she was a clone because the first six episodes were written without a clear idea of who Rei was, beyond someone who felt she could 'Be replaced' and had 'Nothing else' etc.

I remember reading Anno finished the first six episode arc and felt he had sort of finished with Rei as a character, he didn't know where to go after that. Her becoming a clone came from looking at the early episodes and figuring out what he was really getting at, turning the suggestive aspects into a very literal, extreme situation

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes, we decided to send Asuka out again despite knowing in detail her recent synch rate issues and the hell happened last time.

Nerv are kinda a bunch of idiots.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

wow that's quite a bit different in the DC version

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
The director's cut give's Rei's death such a bigger impact.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

Yes, we decided to send Asuka out again despite knowing in detail her recent synch rate issues and the hell happened last time.

Nerv are kinda a bunch of idiots.

They're cold blooded, they straight up say that at least she can be a decoy.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Srice posted:

They're cold blooded, they straight up say that at least she can be a decoy.

Ah, right. I guess you wouldn't need to move for that.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
This is the last time we really see Hikari. Do we know if she or the other classmates actually survived Tokyo-3's destruction?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

The interesting thing with this is that it's made up of parts of the other angels

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Goddamn, when I die I want to be reincarnated in a tank of orange drank, judging from the expressions on the Reis' faces.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

real feel good start to an episode here

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Whoa, storyboards as animation.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Command Ant posted:

This is the last time we really see Hikari. Do we know if she or the other classmates actually survived Tokyo-3's destruction?

spoilers for both eva and rebuild
never said (outside of a spinoff light novel, but who cares about that) but we can assume at least some civilians survived considering toji's sister did

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I remember literally nothing about the fifth child from watching this show a decade ago.

EDIT: OK, that's a lie. I remember jokes about a dating sim with Shinji and Kaworu, it just didn't hit me until the shower scene.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 23, 2016

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

lol

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Kaworu was truly too good for this world.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

It's ep 23...that means only one thing… bring it in guys! *all the angels come in with everything for a HUGE party*

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh geez, that still shot.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

I love that shot.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Even though his screen time is quite short, Kaworu's an interesting character since he gives Shinji friendship at a time he needs it the most, with no strings attached. He didn't even have to take the first step, it just happened.

And that still shot, while being a way to save time and money, is still amazing at showing just how conflicted Shinji feels.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I really liked the shot with Rei standing next to Gendou in their matching foul weather gear, just dispassionately watching as the final angel's bodily fluids are powerwashed off of EVA-01. I don't know why it struck me, but it did.

This new cynical Misato is great also.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

SEELE 04 is my favorite for his extremely squeaky Japanese voice

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

It is the bestest shot :allears:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Unit 01 figure I had came with various props, one of them was a tiny little Kaworu that fit into a clenched hand. :3:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

And god drat is the Ninth a phenomenal piece of music.

I know that's kind of a "duh" statement, but man it blows me away.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

It's hella cheating too. Your OST was fine already Evangelion. What the gently caress :argh:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

a kitten posted:

And god drat is the Ninth a phenomenal piece of music.

I know that's kind of a "duh" statement, but man it blows me away.

It's used really effectively in Ep 24. I love how you don't actually get the full orchestration until everything starts going to hell.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Hell, I'd say you don't even get the full orchestration until EoE :v:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Kawaru is interesting in a wtf kind of way. It's almost funny how quickly Shinji gloms on to him. A normal person would've been incredibly suspicious but Shinji is so starved for kindness he eats it up like a starving dog.

This is almost too depressing at this point, and the budget problems are annoying.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Agronox posted:

Kawaru is interesting in a wtf kind of way. It's almost funny how quickly Shinji gloms on to him. A normal person would've been incredibly suspicious but Shinji is so starved for kindness he eats it up like a starving dog.

"Someone is talking to me, and somehow the topic of conversation does not include giant robots and the piloting thereof. Th...this is the best day of my life!" :qq:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Agronox posted:

This is almost too depressing at this point, and the budget problems are annoying.

I think it was gay.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

They straight up kissed in the early drafts, it's extremely gay.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

How do y'all read Shinji's sexuality in light of ep 24?

I've never been able to quite decide if I think he was actually sexually attracted to Kaworu or if he was just so desperate for kindness and love that he didn't care who it came from at that point, or some combination of both of those choices or something else.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

I've always figured it was just emotional love, rather than anything sexual.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

I've always figured it was just emotional love, rather than anything sexual.

Romantic love doesn't necessarily have to be sexual.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Shinji hasn't really shown much romantic attraction to anyone up until this point. Asuka and him were never on what I'd call 'good terms' and he's pretty distant from everyone else apart from Rei (which is a different thing entirely).

Along comes Kaworu and he practually has heart shaped pupils, it's definitely romantic love at the least. Though it feels like it's probably a special case for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Strange Quark posted:

Romantic love doesn't necessarily have to be sexual.

I don't know if it was even romantic though.

• Locked thread