Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
At least TAKAHARU IS THE BEST AND CAN DO NO WRONG died down a bit from the beginning. This is still an excessively red-centric season, but its not as egregious any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Also related to this;

Any attempt at Drama this episode or next episode is going to fall on it's face to me, because I can't believe it.

For better or worse, this Sentai series has never presented the Villains as a realistic threat. The most dangerous ones were those with ridiculous gimmicks that essentially let them cheat. The entire root of the conflict was between the individuals trying to be Last Ninja (And trying to keep up with Takaharu). Any sort of harsh, attempted dramatic of

'You must kill me to become Last Ninja' falls flat, because why? As a whole, this team has never felt threatened or in danger outside of a select couple of episodes. There's no great 'how will we win if we don't have the Last Ninja', because they've basically effortlessly crushed every opponent that tried to fight them, especially in a fair fight; the most effective enemies were always the ones that used lies and deception rather then trying to actually fight them. Even Masakage wasn't actually a threat; every time he showed up he got creamed, the only trick was that it didn't kill him..

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

jivjov posted:

At least TAKAHARU IS THE BEST AND CAN DO NO WRONG died down a bit from the beginning. This is still an excessively red-centric season, but its not as egregious any more.

This episode has Tsugomori outright point out that the most important mental support of every single Ninninger is Takaharu.

Takaharu also manages to take what is apparently the Ultimate Shuriken Ninpo and evade it as if it were nothing. And if he had wanted, he could've killed his grandpa, the Last Ninja and constantly a badass, then and there. Even if he's weakened, that's a big deal.

And next episode not only his grandpa (who, fine, has always used the same colour scheme as Takaharu) but his dad (who has always been grey) will be Akaninger too, basically putting in stone that he was the only true successor of the Igasaki school from the beginning. Which, of course, makes the Last Ninja thing entirely pointless, as it could only go to a single person - both the previous Last Ninja, and the super prodigy are red. And from what we could see in grandpa's flashback, so was great-grandpa, the Last Ninja before him. It seriously makes you wonder why it isn't just Akaninger instead of having a five-man team.

Also was it me or was everything in this episode just sort of...underwhelming? Like, I don't mean it plot-wise (in which we can all agree it was terribly underwhelming) but in special effects, everything looked weak as hell. The ultimate shuriken ninpo was just a boring cross-slash with nothing impressive about it, and the Haoh Splendid Buster on Tsugomori looked really weak.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I've only watched a single episode but everything I've heard about Nin^2 tells me it's basically the Kamen Rider Wizard of Super Sentai.

Plot that goes nowhere about a boring as gently caress main dude who's perfect and amazing and villains who are never actually a threat, costarring a late joining gold hero who's ACTUALLY perfect and amazing.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
God I hope things are better in a month, I really do.

Please let Sentai be good again.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ghost Furrynger, please be good. :ohdear:

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
One miniboss per episode and maybe two for Gengetsu himself - possibly grandpa fades/disappears/dies/whatever and Last Nintality passes onto Dadninger as the power-up to actually take out the big guy. It's not horrible ending if it goes like that, but very obvious and formulaic.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm really glad I dropped Nin^2 when I did.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
It's just gonna be the last episode of Magiranger again if we get somebody's mom involved :v:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Latest Kamen Rider had a sly reference to Fourze it seems. The legendary soul specials might be leading up to the 45th Anniversary it seems too.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

GuyUpNorth posted:

One miniboss per episode and maybe two for Gengetsu himself - possibly grandpa fades/disappears/dies/whatever and Last Nintality passes onto Dadninger as the power-up to actually take out the big guy. It's not horrible ending if it goes like that, but very obvious and formulaic.

I would be very surprised if Kyuuemon isn't the final boss at this point. But I also wouldn't put it past this show to not do that after setting it up all season.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

GuyUpNorth posted:

it's cute that you think It'll be Dadninger and not Takaharu

Ghost was good as has been the trend recently though. The Ganma are actually threatening Antagonists and what they're doing with the Eyecons now- how Takeru wants to connect with them instead of just use them- is probably setting up Greatful but also feels like a reasonable expansion on the concept.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Stallion Cabana posted:

'You must kill me to become Last Ninja' falls flat, because why? As a whole, this team has never felt threatened or in danger outside of a select couple of episodes. There's no great 'how will we win if we don't have the Last Ninja', because they've basically effortlessly crushed every opponent that tried to fight them, especially in a fair fight; the most effective enemies were always the ones that used lies and deception rather then trying to actually fight them. Even Masakage wasn't actually a threat; every time he showed up he got creamed, the only trick was that it didn't kill him..

I guess this explains why Gramps was so chill about getting his kids and Kinji to fight each other as a test early on in the show...? I really wish that Gramps' situation was brought up a bit earlier on, since it feels like the show is bringing out all the stops we should've had since... Summer? Fall? Like maybe Mangetsu shows up as an enemy during the Fall arc as a major villain, right after Kyuuemon fails to defeat the Ningers.

One particularly about Ninninger is that there isn't much of a plot in the show for large chunks of it. I imagine this wouldn't be so bad if you binge watched it, but as a weekly serial? It's a bit sad how a variety of episodes come down to "And Takaharu beats the bad guy because he's uninteresting and yet everyone relies on him".

Which wouldn't be so bad, if Takaharu was likeable to a degree. But he just shouts he's feeling hot and goes in with reckless abandon. He's pretty much a worse Daigo, when Daigo was about supporting his team, and Takaharu is basically a loud idiot in comparison. ON TOP OF the other ningers not having too much development for themselves. ... Because Takaharu steals the show a lot.

Admittedly, Ninninger has had episodes focusing on the other ningers, which is very welcome, but then it doesn't have too much of a plot overall, and the show seems to be leading to a wet fart, especially when the villains are complete jokes. Not even funny or interesting jokes, just... They're not much of a threat, so why should anyone feel there's tension here?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

At least the Dragon Quest episode was good.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Dexie posted:

At least the Dragon Quest episode was good.

And it aired right after the series came back to life over here. :allears:

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Quite a few individual episodes are great. I still like the Fuuka episode where she befriends an actor, it was a really cute one.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I wonder if the promo for zyuohger with rangers going shopping and bowling and poo poo is to try to appeal to viewers who were turned off of ninninger's red focus and the cast's general lack of camaraderie.

It's certainly gets across that the next series is not ninninger.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Acne Rain posted:

I wonder if the promo for zyuohger with rangers going shopping and bowling and poo poo is to try to appeal to viewers who were turned off of ninninger's red focus and the cast's general lack of camaraderie.

It's certainly gets across that the next series is not ninninger.
On the other hand, Red being the only actual human of the group guarantees he's gonna have heavy focus.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

On the other hand, Red being the only actual human of the group guarantees he's gonna have heavy focus.

you can have a POV character who isn't the out and out main character though. Like as much as people pan it, something like Final Fantasy XIII is a decent example of that; Vaan never becomes the main character, even though he's the POV character.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Stallion Cabana posted:

you can have a POV character who isn't the out and out main character though. Like as much as people pan it, something like Final Fantasy XIII is a decent example of that; Vaan never becomes the main character, even though he's the POV character.

You got an extra "I" there.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Changeman 06

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Poison Mushroom posted:

Ghost Furrynger, please be good. :ohdear:

Furry Ranger will be amazing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You don't get much fanfare, but you do good work. Thanks.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Flashman 05

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

yessssssssssssssssss

of the two things you're doing right now flashman is easily my fave

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I feel like I need to watch this now.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It should surprise no one that Surprise Future was really good.

And now I want more Drive. Man, Drive was great.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

It should surprise no one that Surprise Future was really good.

And now I want more Drive. Man, Drive was great.

There's still the Ghost/Driver movie which previewed the wedding of Tomari (probably a fake out) and the Chase special set just after this movie.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Xelkelvos posted:

There's still the Ghost/Driver movie which previewed the wedding of Tomari (probably a fake out) and the Chase special set just after this movie.

I want a Chase movie that's just a series of slice-of-life vignettes about Chase just slightly missing the point about things.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

deadly_pudding posted:

I want a Chase movie that's just a series of slice-of-life vignettes about Chase just slightly missing the point about things.

From what I can tell it's basically Pinocchio, also it has;

Also a new Mashin Chaser Form; The Super Rhino, which is gold and turns his bop-it gun into a sword thing

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Ghost's music has been quite plain and forgettable so far. It's just kind of there and doesn't make much of an impression. Except for the rad as heck rockin' Specter theme. It hypes me up like crazy for Specter tearing up some dudes as soon as it kicks in. Which he usually does because he's a cool guy. I love it.

Drive's soundtrack and sound design (Ghost belt noises/voices are pretty lame, though Sunglass Slasher has been better) was 900 times better overall. I miss Drive so much. I'm really excited to watch Surprise Future later on.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 23, 2016

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Killer Queen posted:

Ghost's music has been quite plain and forgettable so far. It's just kind of there and doesn't make much of an impression.

I can recall only one track so far sticking out to me and all it does is make me think of something from Gaim.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Here's some new Sentai villains for ya.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hey Insarn, what are you doing here? Gokaiger ended years ago!

Also there's no way the cube one isn't going to be plot-important when he has the same aesthetic as the team's weaponry and mecha.

In current Sentai news, we have a shot from what seems to be the last battle of the series. Spoilers, obviously. Or as spoilery as this obvious of a series can be, of course it's Kyuemon. Daddy dearest has been a non-entity the whole series and can't even finish it, what was the point of Gengetsu?

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 23, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

GOT THAT THEME LEAK!

It's kinda chill.

Edit: It's chill because it's the ED. Here's the OP.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 23, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So sooner or later I'd like to address the elephant in the tokusatsu room.

That elephant is UltraSeven, the greatest of the Ultramen and the one who gets the most love from his company despite literally being the third made, and the second to have his own show. Technically.

He's a notable figure in Toku history and his 50th anniversary comes next year. I'm basically going to do it to convince people to give his show a shot on Shout Factory.

But before we can talk about UltraSeven, we really do have to talk about the original, the defacto Ultraman, without whom we would have no Kamen Rider, no Super Sentai- no Tokusatsu as we know it now. For this year IS his 50th.

That is for later though.

I will make it clear, that is not hyperbole. Without Ultraman, we literally would not have Tokusatsu as we know it today, and especially wouldn't have Rider or Sentai. I think that's more than enough reason to give the big red and silver guy a look back on.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

calling it that purple guy covered in cubes is totally the sixth. he's purple, he's cubes, he's the team's purple on the cube ranger.

E: oh my god

quote:

The Deathgaliens, the evil outlaw army from outer space that has destroyed countless planets throughout the universe. No matter how much pain they inflict on planets’ inhabitants, they continue to repeat their deadly “Blood Game”. Having recently destroyed their 99th planet, they’ve chosen the Earth as the playground for the 100th game.

Azald is a Deathgalien leader; he favours inflicting physical pain. Cuval is a Deathgalien leader; he favours causing emotional/mental distress. Ginis, the Deathgalien boss, loves playing with the lives of others; he’ll award a prize to the winner of his “Blood Game”. Nalia is Ginis’s aide; she grants “Continue Medals” to Ginis’s “Players” after they’re defeated, which turns them into giants. The foot soldiers are Moeba and the first monster sent to Earth is Jakudo.

so deathgalien's are Death Gamer Aliens

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 23, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Surprise future was entertaining, but naturally the story was gibberish. It wouldn't be a kamen rider movie if the plot made any sense at all.

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
Holy poo poo, "Deathgaliens" that's on par with the wonderful 101's GEATHJERK for evil enemy names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Um, I thought the adaptation of Ninninger was the one with the game show villains???

• Locked thread