Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

doctor 7 posted:

I gave my daughter some lovely crit chance + dagger and now she spends all her time practice shanking the gently caress out of a practice dummy.

I'm not even joking, every time I come into my home or wake up I just hear the dagger unsheathe. It's kind of loving creepy.

Future Dragonborn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
On the STEP page on DynDOLOD under the " Generate DynDOLOD" section there is this statement:

8. In Select Output Path, choose a location (e.g., a folder on your desktop. Do not use the same folder as your output from generating the textures above!).

Basically it's saying that wherever the output for the first step (Generate LODs") goes, don't put the output from the second step ("Generate DynDOLOD") in that same location.

Why would that be a bad thing, assuming I grabbed the output earlier? Yes, I'm asking because I think I did that by accident.
:negative:

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Trying to figure out whether this strange dragon behaviour is due to a mod I have (fight or fly), but basically what happens is sometime during the fight, the dragon flies away (with most of its health still remaining) and combat ends (NPCs disengage, music stops), but a few seconds later, it comes right back with full health! Needless to say this makes dragon fights literally impossible. Might this be caused by a mod or is the dragon just deciding to fly away, at which point its health regenerates like all NPCs do outside of combat, and then randomly decides to fight me again?

e; actually, sometimes they regenerate to full health right in the middle of the fight (although I never withness their healthbar go up, it just suddenly appears as 100%

Subyng fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 22, 2016

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Skyrim really needs some non-combat role-playing, so I kinda like the adoption options.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Skyrim really needs some non-combat role-playing, so I kinda like the adoption options.

Yeah, I don't tend to spend a lot of time playing homemaker in Skyrim, but it's cool that the option is there. There are plenty of quests in any RPG where you help out villagers in need, but it's an interesting twist on it when the solution to the quest is giving somebody a place to live, and then they're just hanging out in your house from then on. I think it adds some weight to the game when it feels like you've got something to fight for back home. It seems a little more meaningful than just amassing loot. In most playthroughs I'll offer shelter to the most miserable orphans (the one in Windhelm is pathetically sad) and then just park them with one of my housecarls somewhere and call it good. And then I always pick up sweetrolls and stuff in case one of them asks for a present when I'm back there dumping some loot later on.

Like I've said before, child follower mods tend to be made by creepy weirdos, but the concept of trying to be an adventurer and a parent at the same time has potential for interesting gameplay/RP if it was done right.

I recently made some major upgrades to my PC, but due to a brain fart I forgot to back up my Skyrim saves before reformatting my C drive. I'm trying to regain something of a foothold in the game before I get back into modding... but I still have my half-finished "immersive fat idiot son" mod sitting around, and I fully intend to finish it!

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does anyone know if it would be a big job to edit SPERG.esp so that the scaling for destruction spells is more than 1% per level? It still feels even on Expert Mode that Destruction isn't really worth it vs other spell schools, especially with stuff like Apocalypse and Midas Magic installed.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I think you only need to edit its capper ini file.

eta: woops, thought you meant for leveling, nevermind!

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 22, 2016

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Entropy238 posted:

Does anyone know if it would be a big job to edit SPERG.esp so that the scaling for destruction spells is more than 1% per level? It still feels even on Expert Mode that Destruction isn't really worth it vs other spell schools, especially with stuff like Apocalypse and Midas Magic installed.

It might be easier to just use SkyTweak. It has settings under its magic category to adjust scaling for both the magnitude and duration of spells. Plus you can change it in-game, so it's easier to experiment.

Although I have to admit I'm curious why Destruction feels underpowered to you. I use SPERG, and if anything I often find that Destruction spells are a little bit too powerful.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Praetorian Mage posted:

It might be easier to just use SkyTweak. It has settings under its magic category to adjust scaling for both the magnitude and duration of spells. Plus you can change it in-game, so it's easier to experiment.

Although I have to admit I'm curious why Destruction feels underpowered to you. I use SPERG, and if anything I often find that Destruction spells are a little bit too powerful.

Thanks – after having a gander at it on the Nexus page that's exactly what I'm looking for. Will it play nice with SPERG and the Community Uncapper which change similar kinds of effects?

Any time I set out to play a character that uses spells for direct damage purposes I always end up just using a bound bow or sneak attacks instead because it's just way more efficient. Also I find that a lot of enemies are damage sinks. Maybe it's just me but I've always felt combat magic is a bit wank in this game vs Morrowind or whatever though that's of course complete subjective.

Separate question:

– Would it be a big deal to go in to the Creation Kit and add a X Magicka Drain per second to the game's invisibility spells?
– I know that you can edit spells individually to make the charge time faster but is there any global value I can change to make them ALL faster casting? SkyTweak didn't seem to have this option, at least based on the images available at the Nexus.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Entropy238 posted:

Thanks – after having a gander at it on the Nexus page that's exactly what I'm looking for. Will it play nice with SPERG and the Community Uncapper which change similar kinds of effects?

It should be fine. It's designed to adapt to your mods, but any changes you make in SkyTweak override everything else.

As for your other questions, I'm afraid I can't help you. I've never edited spells in the CK.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

God drat home building is way too much fun for me. I bought a second property and I'm going to deck it the gently caress out manually, not buying any furnishing through my steward.

Also I managed to learn ultimate smithing crafting of the finest pieces of gear through the art of crafting artisanal iron nails/fittings. 94-101 smithing basically from that poo poo alone.

Now I need to find a spouse to earn a bit of coin.

Oh and something I found out my kid does: they gather random poo poo and put it in a chest in your home for you to take. At least I think for you to take. Either that or I just ruined my child's piggy bank and baby's first alchemy set.

Edit: daedra heart. she stores a loving bloody heart in their, my adopted kid is loving Dexter or some poo poo.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jan 22, 2016

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

doctor 7 posted:

Edit: daedra heart. she stores a loving bloody heart in their, my adopted kid is loving Dexter or some poo poo.

When you're not home, she joins the Vigilants of Stendarr on Daedra hunts. :black101:

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Goons, I need help. I get stuttering in Skyrim that's really bad. Mainly when running around and when panning my view around. I read that it's probably when things are loading from RAM to VRAM, but I dunno what to do to help with that. I'm running with almost everything you can imagine, a complete SMC compilation, an ENB, SKSE with memory patch, tons of mods, DynDOLOD, all of that. Disabling DynDOLOD doesn't fix it. Turning off all of SMC doesn't fix it, but it alleviates it somewhat (meaning vanilla textures only KINDA has the same problem, but it still stutters when turning my character's view and all). I dunno if ENB settings can fix it, but I've changed the ENB memory settings around a ton and no dice there, whether it's 10240 megs of VRAM+RAM or 4096 in the .ini. HELP~ :( I just want to play Skyrim! I love the game from what I've played of it vanilla and I am in awe of what it looks like with all the mods and textures and an ENB and DynDOLOD and all!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

doctor 7 posted:

God drat home building is way too much fun for me. I bought a second property and I'm going to deck it the gently caress out manually, not buying any furnishing through my steward.

Also I managed to learn ultimate smithing crafting of the finest pieces of gear through the art of crafting artisanal iron nails/fittings. 94-101 smithing basically from that poo poo alone.

Now I need to find a spouse to earn a bit of coin.

Oh and something I found out my kid does: they gather random poo poo and put it in a chest in your home for you to take. At least I think for you to take. Either that or I just ruined my child's piggy bank and baby's first alchemy set.

Is this all Hearthfire? If so, drat I need to get that again, because my last playthrough (360), I just bought lakeside manor, furnished it a bit, and that was all.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is this all Hearthfire? If so, drat I need to get that again, because my last playthrough (360), I just bought lakeside manor, furnished it a bit, and that was all.

Yeah it is.

Sadly the house building is very limited. You make an entrance, main hall then you have the choice of making three different wings, one of three ways. That's it. All decorations inside are already established, you just find the ingredients to build them or pay a follower you assign as a steward to build them.

But yes, your kid is Hearthfire and you need to make poo poo loads of fittings and nails from iron to build basically anything in your house. So you can level up smithing quite a bit for cheap.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

doctor 7 posted:

Yeah it is.

Sadly the house building is very limited. You make an entrance, main hall then you have the choice of making three different wings, one of three ways. That's it. All decorations inside are already established, you just find the ingredients to build them or pay a follower you assign as a steward to build them.

But yes, your kid is Hearthfire and you need to make poo poo loads of fittings and nails from iron to build basically anything in your house. So you can level up smithing quite a bit for cheap.

Sorry, I should have been clearer; I actually finished off Lakeside completely (loved having an Alchemy station, but then stopped playing Skyrim altogether, never bothering with the kids or the stewards. All of that sounds great, though!

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
3 buildable houses, 3 sets of gardens and greenhouses for all your poisoning needs :rms:
Of course, now there's the Ultra Garden mod for a separate underground greenhouse with hundreds of planing spots...

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you want to get serious about turning Skyrim into a home decorating sim get Jaxonz Positioner. You can grab and move/copy pretty much anything, including lights. Makes manipulating objects and placing them right where you want super-easy and when you're done lock it all down so they don't jump all over the house or go flying while your follower posse blunders around.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Everything Burrito posted:

If you want to get serious about turning Skyrim into a home decorating sim get Jaxonz Positioner. You can grab and move/copy pretty much anything, including lights. Makes manipulating objects and placing them right where you want super-easy and when you're done lock it all down so they don't jump all over the house or go flying while your follower posse blunders around.

Skyrim Modding: Ask us about mods that allow us to mod the game while playing

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's actually pretty handy if you've got some minor conflict with mods both placing something in the same location; you can move the overlapping things around and not have to disable one or the other.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
So it turns out that stuttering I get is from ENB. Any ideas on what I should do to get rid of the loading-stuttering when turning? :(

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

There's a bunch of things that modify pretty much everything you see at once. Ambient occlusion and the shadow upgrades come to mind first.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Ah, so that might be the culprit. I can tolerate disabling AO and such, I'll tinker with the settings.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Apoplexy posted:

So it turns out that stuttering I get is from ENB. Any ideas on what I should do to get rid of the loading-stuttering when turning? :(

Get rid of ENB?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Never. Kyokushinoyama spent a lot of time making sure I was blinded by the light of a distant torch reflected on my sword's blade.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Another thing you could try is just testing out a few different ENB presets... There are SO MANY out there, it might be possible to find something with better performance that looks pretty similar to what you've got.

This is kind of a tangent, but... I have had TERRIBLE results with ENB in Fallout New Vegas. Every preset I've tried has looked like poo poo until I dug into the settings and made massive changes, and then it looked, at best, slightly less like poo poo. I don't know if it's my weather mod conflicting with it or something (even though I pick ones designed for it?), but I find one where the screenshots look really nice, try it in my game, and it looks awful. Whereas in Skyrim, I've had my pick of gorgeous ENB presets that make the game look like real life.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I'm a few days into my fresh 2016 install, and I've gotta say, my new Campfire/Frostfall3/CACO(/Hunterborn) combo is slicker than barbecued pigshit. It's really scratching my spergy realism/survival itch, and everything seems way less fiddly than during my last few spins on the Skyrim wheel (using Frostfall2/Imps/HB).

For the first time in forever I've cut IMCN from my modlist entirely, in favor of using the simplified CACO hunger/fatigue mechanics. Whatever I lost in immersive complexity I've gained in not having to gently caress around with making a bunch of compatibility patches and then still finding random food bits here and there that don't actually count as "food." I don't know how they managed it, but all the CACO stuff just seems to work, and with all the mod poo poo I have going on, that's no small feat.

I played with and loved Imps for years, though. RIP lil' buddy.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 23, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Can't stand it anymore, I wasn't really completely done with my current character but I'm too hot to try that combo to wait any longer. I've been watching all of them and was gonna upgrade to the new stuff on my next game but there's really no point in waiting. I want to play with all that new alchemy and camping poo poo right now dammit.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've been browsing follower files, lord help me.

Surprised this hasn't gotten more endorsements since even if you don't hire him you still have to look at his greasy mop every time you visit the Winking Skeever (I'm actually not going to waste a slot on this, just thought it was funny)
Add a pack of hunky generic followers

Too bad they'll probably look like dogshit without cosmetic mods
Followers Pick Equipment - I added this on my last game to try it out, it's kinda fun just for the novelty of it but it does take a while if you have a lot of poo poo for them to pick through (and they'll just keep going til you tell them to stop).
*fans self* Too bad I'm not going to put in the work required to make them look like that in my game, pass
This guy has some potential, just a basic Imperial soldier who isn't too fancy
Another assortment, might try this one out since it adds a couple guys in Solitude (the twins omg)

I'd love to see an update from the B-Team :( I was looking for someone to recruit out of Solitude because that's where I keep starting lately, but nobody really fits my ~roleplay requirements~ at the moment. I'm kinda tired of the regular follower pool but I like using in-game NPCs vs importing somebody's husbando (a much more limited pool than the waifus) so I keep force-recruiting normal NPCs which works out OK but I really like the extra stuff the B-team ones get.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

You don't need to worry TOO much about followers not living up to their screenshots. A lot of follower mods, if the author isn't a lazy fucker, actually come packaged with the meshes/textures you see in the screenshots so it's not a chore to make them look good. It's actually really, really easy to give an NPC unique body mesh and skin texture paths in the CK, and most of the good resources out there are free to share, or the authors at least aren't dicks about letting you use it.

You can't always know at a glance if the mod has that stuff included, but sometimes you can make an educated guess based on the overall quality of the screenshots and the size of the download, or you can compare user screenshots to author screenshots and see if people are getting good results with other setups, or you can just trial and error it. If it says it's a "stand-alone" follower mod, unless they're bullshitting you, that should mean you don't need to come up with any of that stuff yourself.

It's also worth noting that unique head meshes (facegen files) are necessary to include with any NPC just to prevent the gray-head bug, and any but the most incompetent modder is going to give you that.. so to some extent what you see will always be what you get. It's really just skin textures and body mods that will vary.

If all else fails, just installing one of the more popular texture mods should be a pretty simple plug-and-play approach to making NPC's not look lovely in general.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's good to know. I loaded up my game with a bunch of dudes so provided they don't look completely awful even if I don't take any of them along as followers at least they'll be good decor :v:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Reasonably sized chicken eggs

It's just a mesh replacer so it doesn't take up valuable .esp space and may be compatible with any retextures.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's a thing I never knew I wanted but no longer can live without.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
That or one that makes chickens bigger.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This is really vague, I'll try and get as much info to you guys as possible, but just recently, I picked up the legendary edition. Now, whenever I try and buy/sell stuff with an alchemist (other shop dealings seem to be fine) I CTD. Obviously this didn't happen until I installed the three DLC packs. Now, the only mods I have installed that might conflict with this, I thought, would be Overstocked Merchants, but disabling that did nothing.

Welp.... As I was typing this out, I realized that I haven't installed the USLEEP, so I'm doing that in hopes that it fixes the problem. Aside from SKYUI, iNeed, and a couple of graphical mods like Pure Waters and some bloom one, I just have the Amazing Race Tweaks installed.

Man, I hope USLEEP fixes it.

Edit: USLEEP, while upping my framerate a bit, didn't seem to fix anything. Do mods load bottom to top? I've googled, and I know everyone's setup is almost entirely different, but no one is experiencing this glitch. The closest is someone who CTD when using an alchemy station, but I'm able to do that.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 25, 2016

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Have you tried sitting somewhere and resting for 72 hours? it could be some minor script that needs to clear out.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
I know this is barely above "have you tried turning it off then on again" but I've fixed CTDs a couple of times by verifying the game files on steam, they'd gotten corrupted somewhere along the line.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Edit: ^^^^^^ trying that now, thanks!
Edit 2: drat, no dice, despite Steam having to seemingly replace a config file (I had to change all of my game options back to how I originally had them). Thanks, though, I hadn't even thought of that.

Elliotw2 posted:

Have you tried sitting somewhere and resting for 72 hours? it could be some minor script that needs to clear out.

I didn't know this was a potential solution, any reason why? Does the game do a check for scripts like that after 72 hours? I literally sat down in the Inn at Riverwood for 3 periods of 24hrs each, and ran to the alchemist in Whiterun, but it's still happening :negative:

I know you guys can't look through all of my current mods, but with the basic mods (SkyUI, USLEEP), what order to you put those in? And do I need to update SkyUI for the legendary edition?

Edit 3: Ugh, now the general store next to the Whiterun alchemist is CTD now (again, only when trying to do business with him).

Going to try a new character, see if that does the same thing.

Edit 4: Yeah, my game is broken now :negative: So far, trading/bartering with anyone causes a CTD.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 25, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, so just so I don't add further edits to my already confusing post above, an update: my load order was all over the place. For whatever reason, I thought mods loaded (in the default mod window) from the bottom up. As you all know, this is not correct. Why it was allowing me to run the game just fine before getting HF/DG/DB is beyond me. Anyway, it's all good now, I just manually reordered everything and no more crashes. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Please for the love of god use a mod manager.

• Locked thread