Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beer, please stop sending imaginary emails to CIG CS, you're keeping their imaginary support staff from dealing with real space issues!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

:pgabz: This thread needs help, Doctor Catte! :pgabz:

Hmm, yes. Nurse, anaesthetize the patient and hand me my skull-mallet!

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jan 23, 2016

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny Nox posted:

X-wing also had a button that turned off the cockpit for dogfighting. It left the radar circles on though so you could maintain situational awareness.

My immersion!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Bleah!

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Agrajag posted:

no amount of "fat shaming is bad" posts are going to make me stop making fun of the mess t-rex is

Hi Sandi I know you're not really sweating stressing Ben into an early grave but you should watch Akira sometime and take the fate of Tetsuo's girlfriend as a cautionary tale.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

TTerrible posted:

Phone posting too so I can't link it - but he claimed there was going to be a congress of the damned led by Croberts in LA in two weeks. They were going to outline how they were going to cancel things and cut features going forward.

It was just mentioned in ATV as a "roadmap meeting" or something.

Oh snap

This is gonna be amazing.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Daztek posted:

Beer, please stop sending imaginary emails to CIG CS, you're keeping their imaginary support staff from dealing with real space issues!!!

i sure hope its not goons sending CS tickets and that its really disillusioned backers requesting refunds.

sanctimoniousqfd
Dec 16, 2015

ZenMaster posted:

Why does the rift need 2x the processing power? Couldn't you just have the left eye monitor take a photo of what the right eye is seeing and display it at the same time (or fast enough to not notice) or is our eyeline that offset that you need two slightly different views? Couldn't you trick the brain? I assume they thought of this, but it seems simple enough!

1. Because it is displaying two slightly different view perspectives, which, as far as the GPU is concerned, requires two complete renders - occlusion, visibility culling, shadow volumes... everything needs to be recalculated.
2. a) No, because that would be perceived as 2D by the brain (and might even make you a little disoriented)
b) Yes, the spacing between the eyes (called the interpupillary distance) is what grants a significant enough perspective shift that the brain can interpret a scene as three-dimensional
3. We are already tricking the brain... we are presenting two completely separate 2D renders simultaneously to trick the brain into perceiving it as a three-dimensional scene ;-)
The concept is simple enough... the tech required to actually pull it off convincingly is not. The Rift represents the first device approaching the mainstream market to deliver a solid VR experience that doesn't make you blow chunks as soon as you move your head.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

my cat doesnt believe goons are cloggin up customer service

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

It is weird and mean spirited to keep riffing on a weight problem. I'm not your mom, so say whatever you want. But it's usually considered equally mean spirited to make fun of poverty or depression or drug abuse.

We can make fun of his weird devotion to Wing Commander instead.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Nemo2342 posted:

I have a couple hundred pages to go before I catch up with the thread again, but can someone please tell me if we freed Kimsemus yet?

holy...you are really back there lol

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mendrian posted:

It is weird and mean spirited to keep riffing on a weight problem. I'm not your mom, so say whatever you want. But it's usually considered equally mean spirited to make fun of poverty or depression or drug abuse.

Which ties in with his complete disconnection from reality!

(Jealous of him being married to an actual woman. :sigh:)

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

ben fat

also I submitted about 25 bogus CS tickets today, been averaging over twenty a day probably

mrking
May 27, 2006

Mendrian posted:

where do 9/11 jokes fall on this scale of laughing at people falling to fat/poor shaming?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Speaking of which, here's her from an old Soundcloud profile (the skinny Ben post made me think of it.)

And now...

Don't you Citizenry fools see it! CIG KILLS, MAN, CIG KILLS!

And all to amuse your pointy little heads!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Samizdata posted:

Speaking of which, here's her from an old Soundcloud profile (the skinny Ben post made me think of it.)

And now...

Don't you Citizenry fools see it! CIG KILLS, MAN, CIG KILLS!

And all to amuse your pointy little heads!

Come on man.......seriously :smugjones:

I'm all for making jokes about a fatman and skeletor but leave the woman out of it *whiteknight my work is done*

*this post is mildly sarcastic*

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mendrian posted:

Yeah but it's easier to control your weight than it is your finial situation or drug abuse.

Like, dude blew up in 3 years. That's actually amazing that someone gained possibly 200 lbs in such a short amount of time.

Obligatory Ben is a fat gently caress who has bigger tits than his wife post.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Romes128 posted:

Yeah but it's easier to control your weight than it is your finial situation or drug abuse.

Like, dude blew up in 3 years. That's actually amazing that someone gained possibly 200 lbs in such a short amount of time.

Obligatory Ben is a fat gently caress who has bigger tits than his wife post.

Ben is a medical marvel who will be studied by future scientists

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

fukken cattebeasts

LachlanJ
Nov 20, 2007

Get out of here O.M.A.R.
Getting back to the discussion of spaceship aesthetics, I think what bothers me about SC's designs is not so much the disparity between them, but the lack of any in-universe rules governing their appearance. To use Star Trek as an example, while Federation and Klingon starships are instantly recognisable as being distinct from one another, the rules of the universe mean there are common design elements between the two. The engines are the big blue rails mounted away from the ship, and the nature of 25th century combat means the weapons are all recessed. There's also the fact that, until Deep Space Nine, the ships all had to exist as physical models. Designers had to work within the budgetary and practical limitations imposed upon them.

CR's games have no deep thought put into the practicalities of how their ships get from A to B. There are no rules about how propulsion works, what scientific breakthroughs brought them into an age of relatively easy and accessible interstellar travel. Weapons protrude from the hull or are mounted in turrets, even when such design choices make absolutely no sense. Their incorporation in the PU shows that "make it so it will work" wasn't an instruction SC's artists heard nearly often enough, if at all.

You can accept a bit of artistic licence and suspend disbelief when something just needs to look cool and distinctive. But when absolutely everything has to look boss, when that's the only design rule artists have been given to work with, what you end up with is a mess. SC's ships don't even look like they serve the same purpose or follow the same physical laws, let alone belong in the same universe as each other.

poo poo, maybe that's the whole point? Maybe this is like Light by M John Harrison, where absolutely any set of halfway-grounded scientific theories eventually gets you to the stars.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
What with the ships looking like they are made for atmospheric flight, I guess all the pointy gun bits would melt off when entering athnosphere at speed, right?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

LachlanJ posted:

Getting back to the discussion of spaceship aesthetics

But enough about Ben.

LachlanJ
Nov 20, 2007

Get out of here O.M.A.R.

Hopper posted:

What with the ships looking like they are made for atmospheric flight, I guess all the pointy gun bits would melt off when entering athnosphere at speed, right?

Literally more thought than CIG have put into this.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

CrazyLoon posted:

In case you haven't noticed, this thread is definitely not just about 'real issues worthy of discussion'. To be sure, that tends to be the case whenever goons argue anything on Reddit or elsewhere, but ITT the focus shifts from it primarily, because they have been discussed dozens upon dozens of times already by those of us, who have watched this trainwreck for 2 or 3 years now. So because sperging about CIG's litany of problems becomes tired and old at some point, this thread finds other ways to amuse itself.

Sometimes it does so with funny gifs. Other times it does so with lyrics. Even songs on rare occasions.

But usually the thread doesn't have that much time on its hands, so it just reaches for the easiest thing - fat shaming. Which, to be honest, while a bit much at times, is fair game in my book for someone like Ben, who has refused to assume any kind of responsibility whatsoever since this whole thing started. Including responsibility for his own weight, regardless of other influences upon him.

TL;DR - he's fat, he gon' die if he keep it up and it's worth reminding him of it, whenever he reads this thread to keep an eye on ebil goonies.

I pretty much agree with this. And I don't get the Ben pity, yeah he went into this with the delusion that Croberts was the second coming of space Jesus and it's legit sad to see someone have their faith broken like that but Ben is a huge shitheel of a toady and unlike Chris and Sandi who are in it for the money the only thing he gets from going out of his way to be an rear end in a top hat is the satisfaction of lording it over the community he was supposed to nourish. The Star Citizen community is the worst part of this whole trainwreck and it became this bad largely because of Ben.

Let's face it, this motherfucker was never the most popular guy at school and here he is with the power to crush dissent and do as he will with griefers and goons. You give him a little power he became a petty tyrant. I don't give a poo poo if it's fat shaming, if he was thin or had big ears or a big nose or terrible clothes or used glasses or was bald I'd mock him for that.

gently caress you Ben.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Awyeah, another 8gb patch to update some xml files.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I wonder if Ben ever wakes up in the night in a cold sweat because he's literally killing himself for a scam game by a hack movie director who'll trample over anyone to worm his way back into Hollywood. Also the sleep apnea.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Daztek posted:

Awyeah, another 8gb patch to update some xml files.

All these gigabytes means development is faster than ever, checkmate goonies

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Hopper posted:

No because space-magic shields protect them, something that humanity will come up with by the year 3000 something when the game is set. Unlike weapons that have a range beyond 5km, technology for that just isn't there yet.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Justin Tyme posted:

also I submitted about 25 bogus CS tickets today, been averaging over twenty a day probably

I don't even own Star Citizen and they're still trying to answer my tickets it's pretty great. I've been getting step by step instructions on how to climb a ladder for the last week and they've bounced me across three different people trying to figure out why I'm not able to get in my spaceship. I'm waiting a week before I clarify the ladder isn't actually in game and leads to my roof and that I have to keep climbing back down it to report my relative successes to them.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I don't even own Star Citizen and they're still trying to answer my tickets it's pretty great. I've been getting step by step instructions on how to climb a ladder for the last week and they've bounced me across three different people trying to figure out why I'm not able to get in my spaceship. I'm waiting a week before I clarify the ladder isn't actually in game and leads to my roof and that I have to keep climbing back down it to report my relative successes to them.

:golfclap: :five: now that's a good post!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheLastRoboKy posted:

lmao post the email

mrking
May 27, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

fukken cattebeasts

:catstare:

goons posted:

:lesnick: fatshaming

instead of posting about how sad it is that he put on a lot of weight maybe we could post examples of how lovely he has been to the community? I've only seen a few of the videos he's in and every time he seemed like he was having a good time and not being a dick.

Godmode Enabled
Jul 14, 2013

I AM A BETAGOON, ASK ME ABOUT PROPER GRIEF TO CASH RATIOS.

mrking posted:

:catstare:

instead of posting about how sad it is that he put on a lot of weight maybe we could post examples of how lovely he has been to the community? I've only seen a few of the videos he's in and every time he seemed like he was having a good time and not being a dick.

I miss when atleast 10% of the thread was about the game.
Now people just come here to make the 1000th hrrrr Lesnick is fat: :gary: me too +1joke when you know half these fkers are covered in Cheeto dust.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

mrking posted:

i sure hope its not goons sending CS tickets and that its really disillusioned backers requesting refunds.

Right now, CIG claims to have 1,177,197 backers, if we assume that number is grossly inflated, we can guess that there are 500,000 people who have invested something into the game. If only 1% of those people have some kind of question or comment, that's 5,000 CS tickets. Even if everyone in this thread sent them some stupid question about space cats, it would still be a drop in the bucket compared to what they should be getting from non-goon sources.

sanctimoniousqfd posted:

1. Because it is displaying two slightly different view perspectives, which, as far as the GPU is concerned, requires two complete renders - occlusion, visibility culling, shadow volumes... everything needs to be recalculated.

The two cameras are right next to each other though, is there really no way to re-use calculations from the one render pass in the other? Though now I think about it, I guess that kind of optimization would require a render pipeline specifially optimized for VR, which isn't what most games are going to offer.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

mrking posted:

Agreed, whenever I see the guy in a video he seems pretty friendly and nice. His forum posts make me want to stab my monitor though.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

ewe2 posted:

:pgabz: This thread needs help, Doctor Catte! :pgabz:

Hmm, yes. Nurse, anaesthetize the patient and hand me my skull-mallet!

I fully expect this to be the last thing I ever see when the saucers come for us all.

Catte typing on the keyboard isn't just random. Its encrypted messages for the mothership

sdckljzsdlkchjzlskdhjfljkefklsjerh indeed doctor catte. wewerwerwxdrgxdrgxdrg indeed.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

fuzzknot posted:

1/2 cup (2 sticks) butter

your baking math is hosed

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Officer Sandvich posted:

your baking math is hosed

All this "sticks" and "cups" bullshit it what's hosed. Civilised people use weights, preferably grams. A gram is a gram is a gram, no need to worry if a store has packaged something in an unusual way or if you've chopped something too finely or coarsely or left air pockets in your weird scoop. Plus no need to cram butter into a second container, just cut a bit off the block and weigh it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Fatkraken posted:

All this "sticks" and "cups" bullshit it what's hosed. Civilised people use weights, preferably grams. A gram is a gram is a gram, no need to worry if a store has packaged something in an unusual way or if you've chopped something too finely or coarsely or left air pockets in your weird scoop. Plus no need to cram butter into a second container, just cut a bit off the block and weigh it.

loving oath.

• Locked thread